Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Lord Buckethead is becoming very popular in the wake of his unsuccessful campaign against Theresa May in her constituency last week.

This is all good fun, but is anyone else worried about the Black Mirror episode where something very similar happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw that a few days ago. Very funny. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

An Irish production company has bought the rights to use the Saturday Night Live name off NBC here in Ireland :(

I can imagine how fcuking awful it's going be.

Cringe.

I can imagine the host lineup.

Saturday June 17th: Mario Rosenstock
    Saturday June 24th: Twink
    Saturday July 1st: Diarmuid Gavin
    Saturday July 8th: Mario Rosenstock again
    Saturday July 15th: Leo from Fair City

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

"Live from Ballymount (or Donnybrook), It's Saturday Night!" :eek:

That is a terrible idea.

There's no way anyone could a watchable version of SNL on an Irish Programme Budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

May just be a chat show by the same name. Though come to think of it who owns the rights to The Late Late Show?

Watched Cardinal over the last few nights on Hulu I think BBC4 have the rights to show or have shown it over here.

It's a murder mystery starring the always watchable Billy Campbell set in Ontario, Canada 6 episodes and well worth a watch it has been renewed for 2 more seasons by CTV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_(TV_series)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Just have the misfortune to be watchin something called "Scorchio" on RTE2.
    Mother of Jaysus.
    A hidden camera prank show on the beaches of Spain with Irish actor/wanchors.
    Unbelievably bad sh1t.
    I mean really really bad unfunny sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mr E wrote: »
    Cringe.

I can imagine the host lineup.

Saturday June 17th: Mario Rosenstock
    Saturday June 24th: Twink
    Saturday July 1st: Diarmuid Gavin
    Saturday July 8th: Mario Rosenstock again
    Saturday July 15th: Leo from Fair City

And also Al Porter, Keith Walsh, Jedward, Vogue Williams, Nathan Carter and Francis Brennan :P then back again to Mario

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have any of Shakespeare's plays ever been adapted into a TV show?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Have any of Shakespeare's plays ever been adapted into a TV show?

There are a good few shows inspired by Shakespeare, to varying degrees.

Empire -> King Lear
    House of Cards -> Richard III (with a touch of of Lady Macbeth)
    Breaking Bad -> Macbeth
    Sons of Anarchy -> Hamlet
    Moonlighting -> Taming of the Shrew :)

Plenty of TV versions of the plays, but they tend to be one-offs, not continuing series. There was a BBC series of adaptations in a modernised setting - ShakespeaRe-told. David Tennant's Hamlet was filmed for TV, and there's The Hollow Crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

maudgonner wrote: »

Empire -> King Lear
    Breaking Bad -> Macbeth

Plenty of TV versions of the plays, but they tend to be one-offs, not continuing series. There was a BBC series of adaptations in a modernised setting - ShakespeaRe-told. David Tennant's Hamlet was filmed for TV, and there's The Hollow Crown.

I remember James McAvoy as a chef singing in Shakespeare ReTold :D

I liked Taming of the Shrew with Shirley Henderson and Rufus Sewell. I just looked it up and it was scripted by Sally Wainwright :)

Must see if I can find it anywhere for a rewatch.

I was going to say Kings, bu that was a bible story.
    Would 10 Things I Hate About You count? It was based on the movie which was based on Taming of the Shrew

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

maudgonner wrote: »

Empire -> King Lear
    Breaking Bad -> Macbeth

MacMeth?

Dean Cain wants to revive Lois and Clark for a 5th season.

All I can say is please make it happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Watched the first two of the new Twin Peaks at the weekend.

Also started Riverdale...em, reminding me a little of Scooby Doo. :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has anyone seen El Chapo yet?

Paddington Bear creator Michael Bond died today aged 91 RIP.

https://twitter.com/paddingtonbear/status/880031559029600256

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Has anyone seen El Chapo yet?

Ive watched the first 6 episodes and im really enjoying it.

So much happens every episode that I would suggest that if you dont like the first one then you probably wont like the show overall.

Its vicious and ridiculous in parts but id definitely recommend it

Olivia de Havilland at 101 is suing Ryan Murphy for his unauthorised use of her name and likeness & portraying her in the series Feud.

There is an episode for a future season if I ever saw one.

I remember as a kid in the 80's being captivated by Robin Of Sherwood and I haven't seen it since then.

Well I came across it on Hulu last night stuck on the pilot expecting it to have aged badly and not be as good as I remember.#

I was wrong it was great and still as captivating with the Clannad soundtrack and the use of mythology it stands out even today 30 odd years later.

I will enjoy watching the rest over the coming weeks.

Ah, it's no Maid Marian. :)
    I know the Clannad theme song but never watched it. Think i read a tie in novel though

From what I remember it gets very mystical-magical at times. They were definitely doing some drugs when they made it, a bit of 'shrooming in the forest.

It was never the same after Michael Praed left and Sean Connery's son took over.

A Candy Crush gameshow started last night in the States. I wanted to hate it, but I really didn't. It was great fun. :)

The first episode had 2 teams of people from Survivor vs. 2 teams of people from Big Brother.

Mario Lopez did a good job as the host too.

King are going to get a lot of new downloads out of it. I was basically a 40 minute ad for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Jesus wept...

I have no standards. It's true. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Mr E wrote: »
    A Candy Crush gameshow started last night in the States. I wanted to hate it, but I really didn't. It was great fun. :)

The first episode had 2 teams of people from Survivor vs. 2 teams of people from Big Brother.

Mario Lopez did a good job as the host too.

King are going to get a lot of new downloads out of it. I was basically a 40 minute ad for the game.

I did watch it, and only for the fact it had Survivor and Big Brother alum taking part I watched all the way to the end. It was fine for what it was I suppose, but while the US generally have their pulse on Reality Competition Shows (the aforementioned Survivor and Big Brother, among others), their family friendly Game Shows like Candy Crush are either far too cheesy or not quite cheesy enough (if that makes any sense) compared to what we're used to over this side of the pond...

• Advertisement

I love watching the nightly Trump-bashing on YouTube every morning before I get up (across the week - Stephen Colbert, John Oliver, Seth Meyers and Trevor Noah).

Trump is the gift that keeps on giving. Endless ammo for these guys.

Anyway, Andy Serkis was on Colbert last night reading Trump tweets as Gollum. Just perfect. :)

Advertisement