Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

I've been watching Peep Show on Netflix and so far every episode has an ad break bumper*. This has happened on Channel Four TV episodes on iTunes too and I'm just curious if the DVDs of Channel 4 are also like this.

While not as disruptive as an actual ad break, it is still annoying because ten episodes in and I keep taking up the remote to skip forward when the bump appears. :P

* I think that is the name - a title card appears leading and from the ad break.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not looking good for current affairs on TV3 as Ursula Halligan joins Vincent Browne in stepping down after been at the station for 19 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I've been watching Peep Show on Netflix and so far every episode has an ad break bumper*. This has happened on Channel Four TV episodes on iTunes too and I'm just curious if the DVDs of Channel 4 are also like this.

While not as disruptive as an actual ad break, it is still annoying because ten episodes in and I keep taking up the remote to skip forward when the bump appears. :P

* I think that is the name - a title card appears leading and from the ad break.

I had a look at Series 2 Episode 1 on the DVD, can't see any Bumpers.

Sloppy work for them not to edit the Netflix version properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

Skid X wrote: »
    I had a look at Series 2 Episode 1 on the DVD, can't see any Bumpers.

Sloppy work for them not to edit the Netflix version properly.

Sloppy indeed. I think it was the same with the first series of Fresh Meat when it originally came to Netflix.

If you watched The People v OJ Simpson or the fantastic 30 for 30 O.J.: Made in America documentary this might interest you..

OJ Simpson’s Parole Hearing Next Week Set to Be Televised
    For the first time since 2013, the public will see O.J. Simpson live next week when he appears at a televised parole hearing.

The hearing will take place at 10 a.m. PT on Thursday, July 20, from Nevada and will be broadcast in a video pool, with networks including ESPN airing it live.

The televised Trial of the Century back in 1995, in which Simpson was acquitted in the double murder of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman, captivated the nation. All eyes will no doubt be on the former USC and Buffalo Bills football star once again, though Simpson, who just turned 70, will look very different.

Understandably, the Nevada Board of Parole Commissioners stated that there has been “overwhelming media and public interest” in Simpson’s possible parole.

ESPN’s Jeremy Schaap will anchor a special 90 minute “Outside the Lines” on Thursday about the events surrounding the hearing. Earlier this year, the network won its first Oscar for the highly-accalimed “30 for 30” event series, “O.J.: Made in America,” directed by Ezra Edelma

The hearing will be streamed from the Lovelock Correction Center, where Simpson has been a resident since 2008. The former football star was sentenced to nine to 33 years for armed robbery and kidnapping following a scheme to break into a room at the Palace Station hotel in Las Vegas to steal sports memorabilia.

Simpson denied that he broke into the room and that he held people at gunpoint, but did admit to taking the items, which included memorabilia that he said belonged to him.

He was sentenced exactly 13 years after he was acquitted on charges of murdering his ex-wife Nicole and Goldman.

Simpson was granted parole on some of the armed robbery convictions in 2013, but still had to serve at least four more years due to assault with a deadly weapon charges and other weapon-related charges.

If paroled, he won’t see the outside of the prison until October 2017.

http://www.thewrap.com/o-j-simpsons-parole-hearing-televised/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I post here now and again but would like to thank the regulars for directing me to shows that might have slipped under my radar.
    Looks like Blood Drive will be next on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Looks like Mondays are going to be productive days at work for the next 7 weeks while I stay off the Internet to avoid GoT spoilers

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone seen Trial and error? I watched the first two and it's growing on me.

If you watched The People v OJ Simpson or the fantastic 30 for 30 O.J.: Made in America documentary this might interest you..

OJ Simpson’s Parole Hearing Next Week Set to Be Televised

http://www.thewrap.com/o-j-simpsons-parole-hearing-televised/

Parole Granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

OJ in Murder Confession Shocker!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hardly worth a thread on it's own -

BBC Two are showing the Australian allegorical fantasy drama Cleverman from Monday night every night at about midnight - one for series link recording. It seems to have been well reviewed for the most part. Curious handling of the programme though by Auntie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Been waiting years for an update on The Mighty Eight/Masters of the Air. Did a search today, the odd article from Feb of this year, still not very concrete, but John Orloff who was involved in Band of Brothers has completed the series bible, as of last year. There's hope, though he said BoB took 5 years to complete.

https://twitter.com/johnorloff/status/766313117085265920

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

Hardly worth a thread on it's own -

BBC Two are showing the Australian allegorical fantasy drama Cleverman.

Cleverman [ABC] - Austrailian - *** Spoilers ***

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I was having a think today, when I saw it mentioned that many of Deborah Watling's episodes of Doctor Who are among those that were deleted...

Why don't the BBC remake them? (Maybe not all, just a few) Are there issues with the rights? The scripts still exist, apparently there are even sound recordings and photos. Cast lookalikes (
    which they've already done for the upcoming Christmas special
    ), have wobbly sets and dodgy costumes, great fun.

I was going to start a thread on ABC's new short summer series Somewhere Between which has a very interesting premiss and is a American remake of a Korean show (God's Gift: 14 Days) starring Paula Patton.

I watched the pilot this morning and it genuinely may be the worst acted show I have ever seen in my life.

The only actor that comes out of it with a bit of credit is J. R. Bourne.

Saw that available but decided against it.
    Seems Midnight, Texas is getting mixed reviews as well

Was just wondering after watching the latest Game of Thrones, what other shows change their opening credits to reflect the episode? Like Game of Thrones updates the locations shown, Banshee updated a lot of pictures and The 100 opens and closes the credits based on the setting before and after respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

CastorTroy wrote:
    Was just wondering after watching the latest Game of Thrones, what other shows change their opening credits to reflect the episode? Like Game of Thrones updates the locations shown, Banshee updated a lot of pictures and The 100 opens and closes the credits based on the setting before and after respectively.

Very small but the Master Of None credits only ever show which cast members are in that particular episode. I always keep a look out for Arnold.

CastorTroy wrote: »

Fringe did.

I think Lost did as well.

I think The Wire did but that might just have been every season.

The Simpsons with the chalk board.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lost credits? They must have been very subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Didn't Person of Interest have snippets from actual episode in opening credits.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lost just had the drifting logo - there was no variation from week to week as far as I can remember.

Fringe changed from season to season, not episode to episode.

Same with Supernatural - the logo is generally themed after the season.

Good call on Person of Interest. They inserted the number of the week in the beginning then in later seasons
    Samaritan affected them

And how could I forget Simpsons

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Community liked to mix it up now and again, DnD, Law & Order, Paintball, etc

I was going to start a thread on ABC's new short summer series Somewhere Between which has a very interesting premiss and is a American remake of a Korean show (God's Gift: 14 Days) starring Paula Patton.

I watched the pilot this morning and it genuinely may be the worst acted show I have ever seen in my life.

The only actor that comes out of it with a bit of credit is J. R. Bourne.

Don't know why I did it to myself but I watched the second episode.

Paula Patton may be the worst actor in the history of acting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sharknado 5 looks glorious. :)

HBO servers have been hacked episodes of shows including GoT's expected to be leaked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe I'm stupid or maybe they are the idiots - why would anyone store such valuable material online? Stick it on a stick and wait until you need to distribute it - and do that in a jiffy bag by car!

Advertisement