Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Our TV watching tends to get put into what I can only describe as 'quality buckets': sometimes, you just don't want to engage your brain so we slum it a little, shows like the CW superhero franchise, or ... I dunno, Zoo [*], that kind of level, gets put into one particular bucket. Sometimes in the evening we're just too tired or drained to engage with a better show, more deserving of our attention - so it's easier to put on some rubbish instead :D There's a whole clatter of shows in a kind of mid-quality bucket; like the aforementioned iZombie [**], that's a bit of an acquired taste & throwaway, but it's still an extremely smart, savvy drama.

[*] The stupidest drama produced in the last 5 years? It's cancelled now sure, but holy god the levels of spectacular idiocy made it hard to ignore :)

[**] As much as I love the show, that title has never grown on me: iZombie has SUCH a terrible & dated name, it arguably works against it in acquiring new viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So I came across this picture Willow & Oz were a thing long before Buffy.

323842d03811ccc7c48b98894077c8db--s-movies-alyson-hannigan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, that was in My Stepmother is an Alien. Saw the film long before Buffy but didn't notice until it was pointed out during Buffy's run

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I won't dig up the old thread, but my girlfriend and I have been ploughing through Parenthood (about three quarters the way through season 2 now).

What a fantastic, underrated show.

Great cast, relatable stories, and solid acting all round.

I preferred the season 1 theme song though (the Lucy Schwartz one). Don't like the Bob Dylan theme song at all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Mr E wrote: »
    I won't dig up the old thread, but my girlfriend and I have been ploughing through Parenthood (about three quarters the way through season 2 now).

I preferred the season 1 theme song though (the Lucy Schwartz one). Don't like the Bob Dylan theme song at all. :)

Krause is great, I'll watch a show if he's in it.

Dirty sexy money was another good one, pity it got cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Parenthood was amazing. It's one that should've gone on longer - I was still very much invested by the time it ended in Season 6 and would've gladly watched another few seasons for the characters alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I loved Parenthood, despite some annoying plot points the characters were great. Would have happily watched more but thought the ending was fitting and left me satisfied.
    I thought from watching Season 1 of This is Us, that it was going to fill that Parenthood void, but it became too schmaltzy and preachy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Haven't watched anything today yet.

For the ER fans.

https://twitter.com/justjuliawhelan/status/967089277615009793

Haven't watched anything today yet.

For the ER fans.

https://twitter.com/justjuliawhelan/status/967089277615009793

What's this^^

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Kuva wrote: »
    What's this^^

She played a pregnant teenager on the show, had a scene with Clooney. Decent story above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭4Ad

Started watching The Detour tv series..very funny in parts especially the children.

4Ad wrote: »
    Started watching The Detour tv series..very funny in parts especially the children.

Season 1 is very good, 2...I don't know what happened, dropped it a little bit into first ep.

So Fox want to reboot Buffy is in the news today but they will only do it if Joss is on board.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So Fox want to reboot Buffy is in the news today but they will only do it if Joss is on board.

Didn't Joss say at one point that he'd never work for/with Fox again?

I'd maintain my position mentioned elsewhere when his Batgirl adaptation fell through, that Whedon should take a break from being a nerd-culture overlord, and take a step back to do his own thing for a spell.

I may not be his biggest fan, but I'd love to see him take a crack at a new, original concept - and I daresay Netflix, Amazon etc. would gladly pour money & total creative freedom his way. He need not suffer another Dollhouse/Firefly again

They wouldn't sell/give him the rights to Firefly was the reason he wouldn't work with them again if I remember rightly.

Fox will soon be part of Disney so this could be a power play with executives within the company to try and get Joss back into the Disney fold long term now that he is finished with DC to keep their own jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

He said he wouldn't work with Fox again, then he made Dollhouse and they even tried to keep him happy by giving a second season that it didn't earn based on figures.
    Didn't he have a falling out with Disney over Age of Ultron?

If he's a free agent, I could definitely see a streaming service signing him up for X number of shows/films. I wouldn't blame him if he's a bit done with comics films; it must get a little exhausting having to work at an executive level all the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

As much as I love Buffy & Angel (they're probably my two favourite shows of all-time) I really don't want to see a re-boot or re-make - they just wouldn't be as good and it would almost take away from the original run a bit.

In general, I'd like them to stop re-booting shows I loved, because they rarely work out. The one exception would be Land of The Giants (1968-1970) - they can remake the s**t out of that, because it'd be epic to see a modern take on it and there have been rumblings over the years that it may happen (if Lost In Space does well it will most likely happen), but apart from that one let sleeping dogs lie...

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I recently started watching Parks and Recreation - I'm on season 3 now and has to be one of the funniest shows I've seen in a while - I cannot believe that it is nowhere to be seen on this side of the Atlantic. Not on Netflix, Sky box sets.. Such a shame. I am barely finding episodes online these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I recently started watching Parks and Recreation - I'm on season 3 now and has to be one of the funniest shows I've seen in a while - I cannot believe that it is nowhere to be seen on this side of the Atlantic. Not on Netflix, Sky box sets.. Such a shame. I am barely finding episodes online these days.
    Think it aired on BBC3 in the UK, but Dave got the final season IIRC.

I'd go as far as to say it's the best US comedy of the last 10 years..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dave showed it in the graveyard slot a while back, keep an eye out for it popping up again once Suits is worn out (sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

Parks and Recreation
    Dave showed it in the graveyard slot a while back, keep an eye out for it popping up again once Suits is worn out (sorry)
    RTE 2 have shown it too in a similar time-slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Parks and Recreation is on all the iffy android streaming apps i have on my phone, LITERALLY the best comedy from the US.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Parks and Recreation is on all the iffy android streaming apps i have on my phone, LITERALLY the best comedy from the US.

I'll politely disagree with you there and say that it's not even the best Mike Schur comedy, The Good Place is a much better show (so far). I enjoyed P&R but since watching it the first time I've really had no desire to revisit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Good Place ran out of steam a bit in Season 2, after a fantastic season 1.
    P&R really picked up in Season 2 after a not-so-great Season 1.

The Good Place ran out of steam a bit in Season 2, after a fantastic season 1.
    P&R really picked up in Season 2 after a not-so-great Season 1.
    I think The Good Place ran out of steam a bit mid-way through season 2..

.. but I really enjoyed the final few episodes.

But yeah, the first season of P&R really wasn't great.

Thankfully Parks and Rec. season 1 was only 6 episodes, so no great loss to skip it. And skip it you must because ... yeeeeeeesh. Mark Brendanawicz, we hardly knew ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I just find P&R quite forgettable and a lot of the characters walk a very thin line between likeable and unbearable. The shorter runs on GP have been a blessing meaning the scripts are really tight. I'm not saying that GP couldn't still go down hill but at the moment I can find very little wrong with it. Plus ... Ted Danson!!

Only 4 episodes in.. but 'Save Me' is incredible!

Stellar cast in Lennie James (who also wrote it), Suranne Jones and Stephen Graham among others.

Recommended!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Basq wrote: »
    Only 4 episodes in.. but 'Save Me' is incredible!

Stellar cast in Lennie James (who also wrote it), Suranne Jones and Stephen Graham among others.

Recommended!

Save me is incredible alright. A bit too gritty though. I’m not sensitive but there’s parts of it thst will stay with me.

Advertisement