Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The only way a reboot would work is if they could manage to get the same sincerity from it and do a prequel, going right back to the pre-Cheers days of Frasier Crane. Kind of like a young Sheldon concept.

I really don't think they could manage to pull it off tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Naw, character prequels suck. I'm sure someone's written a PhD to demonstrate this scientifically too :)

The AV Club did sarcastically suggest a reboot could be about Dr. Crane struggling to stay afloat in today's podcast driven world; it'd be a half decent idea IMO, showing Frasier go off and restart his career again. But still, best to leave well alone too.
    Particularly as it faded a bit by the end imo (though still very good), and Marty is no longer with us.

Aw man, I'd forgotten about John Mahoney :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

pixelburp wrote: »
    Guess Grammer looked at the Roseanne reboot
    Roseanne was more a continuation. To me a reboot would mean a rethinking of it. Not just taking up where they left off.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Kind of like a young Sheldon concept.
    I would watch that, the 2 young crane boys, maybe in their teens, narrated by the 2 original actors, who have great voices. I did not think I would like young sheldon but his narration makes it for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

rubadub wrote: »
    Roseanne was more a continuation. To me a reboot would mean a rethinking of it. Not just taking up where they left off.

Ack, potato po-tah-to :) 90s nostalgia is slowly creeping into the zeitgeist either way, it's not surprising we're getting an increase in old IPs (potentially) dredged out from the archives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There's a Mr Bean video on Youtube with 164 million views. Crikey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Never underestimate the popularity of silent slapstick.

One that theme, has anyone bothered watching news and current affairs with the sound down, so you are not told what to think and can concentrate purely on what the visuals tell you (or don't)? Fascinating to do so, the deaf could have a quite different view of the world - one where dreams are dominated by gurning, hyper-active reporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Do that at work with only the scrolling banner to tell us what's happening. Whether the banner matches the picture or not is another thing, like with RTE News Now.
    Speaking of Sky News was on today and I had to laugh. Of all the correspondents/reporters they could have reporting the heatwave live from the beach, they chose a redhead. And a stereotypical redhead with pale skin and freckles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

rubadub wrote: »
    Reboot, rethink, revival, restart, remake, return, reimagining, are all just made up buzzwords, used interchangeably by your average moron. Frankly, I've gave up explaining the definitions to people, life is too short. "It's the new one, and no, it's not as good as the original", usually works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone know of anyone who shops on QVC? Jackson Pollack meets Tellytubbies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

World of Sport - Wrestling returns to ITV Saturday afternoons, starting tomorrow at 5pm.

I'd be tempted to watch an episode for old times sake to see if they can differentiate it from the American stuff that viewers are more used to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 86,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mr E wrote: »

Any recommendations for something new along the lines of Parenthood? I was thinking The Gilmore Girls maybe?

Brothers and Sisters or Everwood

Just as a matter of interest, what is classified as an anthology series these days? Was having this discussion with someone and wasn't sure if it's like Twilight Zone and Outer Limits or American Horror Story. Heard it being applied to both.
    And now it's used for Castle Rock which, as far as I can tell, is an ongoing story.

Is the Roast of Bruce Willis worth a watch, I see his ex Demi Moore showed up

Was looking to see when everything started back
    https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a22609652/2018-fall-tv-schedule-lineup/

This goes to end of September, but only a couple shows in that timeline. And a lot of documentaries it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was looking to see when everything started back
    https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a22609652/2018-fall-tv-schedule-lineup/

This goes to end of September, but only a couple shows in that timeline. And a lot of documentaries it seems.

Here is a calendar showing September and October
    https://tvline.com/2018/07/24/fall-tv-premiere-dates-2018-schedule-calendar-printable/

tv-schedule-fall-premieres-2018-r5.jpg

Seriously? Where is the Alf fandom the studio thinks is gagging for a new show? Somewhere adjacent to the 'Harry and the Hendersons' fan group I guess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Too.. many.. reboots!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

pixelburp wrote: »
    Seriously? Where is the Alf fandom the studio thinks is gagging for a new show?

Right here! :D

ALF is one of the few reboots I can actually get behind. You can never have enough Gordon Shumway!!!

• Advertisement

Right here! :D

ALF is one of the few reboots I can actually get behind. You can never have enough Gordon Shumway!!!

/banned

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ITV are bringing back Play your Cards Right with Alan Carr taking Bruce Forsyth's role as host.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Any chance we can we keep Alan Carr not in work? :D

ITV are bringing back Play your Cards Right with Alan Carr taking Bruce Forsyth's role as host.

I thought he was solely property of Channel 4

Discovered this show the other day.

The attitude on this guy starting out...

First look at the new Sabrina The Teenage Witch

chilling-adventures-of-sabrina-1.jpg?w=605&h=403

The strength of this kid from 5:50 :eek:, then Crews from about 9:12 on. :pac: :o

It's August and only 2 more days till Sharknado 6 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

It's August and only 2 more days till Sharknado 6 :)

I still haven't watched any of those. :o

I might start today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

I've been watching a show Netflix called Live. It s a South Korean police drama.

Is anyone else watching and can they please tell me what "last call" means?

I had assumed at first it meant that the patrol unit saying it would the last task before ending their patrol but they seem to say it everytime they get an assignment from the station.

Is it police jargon I'm not understanding or a bad translation?

Advertisement