Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So a lot of new season starting this week. Of course, most interested to see how Lethal Weapon goes. Starts tomorrow night in the States

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good to see Flight of the Conchords back on the scene again... :)
    Hadn't heard this song before - very funny!

This was from Stephen Colbert a few nights ago.

New special coming to HBO soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Any of the big network US shows that premiered this week stand out to anyone. The three I watched were Manifest (NBC), FBI (CBS), and Single Parents (ABC):

-Manifest was enjoyable and like most mystery genre shows starts with a lot of potential, but always with these shows the big worry is that by the 3rd or 4th episode it'll lose steam and the mystery aspect will fade in to the background until it's just another family drama.

-FBI was fine. It's a Dick Wolf show, so if you like any of the Law & Order franchise or the Chicago franchise, you might find something here. Ultimately, I just didn't find it as compelling or the characters as likable as the L&O or Chicago stuff, so not one I plan to keep with.

-Single Parents was a very pleasant surprise. I remember seeing the promo for it back in May and didn't think much of it, but when reviews started coming in for all the new shows this season, Single Parents was getting a lot of hype from everyone, and justifiably so. The pilot hit all the right notes, quickly set up the premise, and the cast are spot on. It's the one I recommend at least checking out - won't be for everyone obviously, but can see a lot of people enjoying it.

I'll try Single Parents, cheers.

I liked Manifest, and I felt the same about FBI (it was a bit dry, but I like Missy Peregrym).

Check out A Million Little Things. A tough watch but I can't see where it will go beyond the first 2 or 3 episodes. I want to find out, though...

New Amsterdam is also very good. Ryan Eggold is very watchable.

Mr E wrote: »
    Check out A Million Little Things. A tough watch but I can't see where it will go beyond the first 2 or 3 episodes. I want to find out, though...

Will do! :)

• Advertisement

I just watched Magnum PI and Manifest.

Will continue Manifest for now. I assume it's a full 20+ episodes so can see it getting dragged out.

Magnum, as I said in that thread, I've no problem leaving as Five-0 will cover the procedurals for me

Mr E wrote: »

Just watched the first episode there now. Very good and reminds me a bit of Parenthood.

Anyone who was following the Brett Kavanaugh hearing during the week will know how much Matt Damon nailed him last night on SNL. Genius casting. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Didn't realise Byran Cranston was in From the Earth to the Moon. 20 years old, must watch the DVDs again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement

Yikes. How is he still working there?

Been watching the odd bit of Penn and Teller where amateurs try and fool them. It's not bad (modelled on other reality shows), some impressive talent there - skills with the cards and delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Beeb will have rights in UK & Ireland.. Netflix will broadcast it internationally then.

It's going to be Christmas 2019 / New Year 2020 at VERY earliest anyways.

At some point, probably, but it will be exclusive to BBC first. How long after airing did the likes of Sherlock and Luther appear on Netflix?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    At some point, probably, but it will be exclusive to BBC first. How long after airing did the likes of Sherlock and Luther appear on Netflix?
    Series 4 of Sherlock which aired on BBC in January 2018 was only added to Netflix in July this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Basq wrote: »
    The Beeb will have rights in UK & Ireland.. Netflix will broadcast it internationally then.

It's going to be Christmas 2019 / New Year 2020 at VERY earliest anyways.

That is the way I meant to ask it - who had the rights for Ireland.

So how do you know in this particular case - are you assuming based on previous releases like Poldark, Sherlock, etc. or does Ireland automatically fall under the BBC's "jurisdiction" simply because the BBC is widely available here?

That is the way I meant to ask it - who had the rights for Ireland.

So how do you know in this particular case - are you assuming based on previous releases like Poldark, Sherlock, etc. or does Ireland automatically fall under the BBC's "jurisdiction" simply because the BBC is widely available here?
    Pretty much this..

.. there are exceptions for co-productions (e.g Killing Eve) but it's a given otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This week's Law and Order SVU is on this.
    This will make an interesting Made for Tv film one day.

Smallville Star Allison Mack Says Branding Women in NXIVM ‘Sex Cult’ Was Her Idea

https://www.thewrap.com/smallville-star-allison-mack-claims-credit-branding-women-nxivm-sex-cult/

^^There's a podcast called Escaping NXIVM, based on the cult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭1012594711

Anyone know a good website for a dvd of 'Running Blind' based on a thriller book by Desmond Bagley? Not available on Amazon or ioffer.com. It aired as a 3 part serial in 1978 on BBC

Meant to say, I noticed something unusual on Hawaii Five 0 a couple weeks ago. Someone was driving a Toyota! So either an import or someone took a risk opening a Toyota dealer to oppose the Chevy dealer(s)

So it will be free if you own an Apple device.

This is Apple I can't see that myself and would expect an Apple premium price on it.

Apple Plans Global Launch For Its TV Subscription Service:
    Apple is reportedly planning to give its planned TV subscription service the kind of global rollout it typically reserves for high-profile products like its iPhone. The Cupertino tech giant plans to launch the service in more than 100 countries, according to the tech news site The Information. This strategy would allow it compete immediately with both Amazon and Netflix, whose streaming services are available internationally.

Apple declined Deadline’s request for comment.

The company has been striking deals with prominent Hollywood players since it hired former Sony executives Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg to develop a slate of original programming. Just this morning, Apple announced Steve Carell has been tapped as a male lead opposite Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston in an untitled morning show drama series.

These original programs are likely to be offered free to Apple device-owners, The Information reports. Viewers also will be able to sign up for TV network subscriptions through the app, according to Bloomberg.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/apple-plans-globa-launch-tv-subscription-servic-1202488104/

The BBC and FX in the States have signed a deal for each others shows.

FX shows will now appear on the BBC over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Looking forward to seeing It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on just after Open All Hours on a Sunday night on BBC1 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone have any recommendations for any recent comedy series?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations for any recent comedy series?
    Forever (2018)

8-episode comedy-drama on Amazon, starring Fred Armisen and Maya Rudolph.

Try not to read too much, if anything, about it beforehand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Only titles not already under contract, ie Fargo still on Channel 4 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Watched Fleabag over the last couple of days. What a fantastic programme that is. So funny but also very poignant and deep.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Watched Fleabag over the last couple of days. What a fantastic programme that is. So funny but also very poignant and deep.
    Yep - with that and Killing Eve, Phoebe Waller-Bridge really has cemented herself as something truly special.

Advertisement