Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Anyone know if there is a way to skip the ads on the All4 AppleTV app?

I can drag the progress bar to each break point and play the ads before watching the episode but this ads a lot of extra ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I see the actor of the second funniest character in Scrubs has a brain tumour and cancer in his lungs, liver, spine and jaw. Jesus...

Sam Lloyd (who played lawyer Ted) started getting headaches in January and it went downhill from there (just after the birth of his first child too).

http://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/celebrity-ted-from-scrubs-has-been-diagnosed-with-lung-cancer-and-brain-tumour-20190206

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

OK...well this I did not expect to see. :D

Hungry now. Thanks for that.

*grumble*

Needed a "Damn It!" or two in there for old time's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just wish he had a 24 type countdown timer on the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was hoping Chloe would be on satellite support, finding the utensils. ;)

Baywatch has been added to Prime.

368617774.gif
    J4RX.gif

The 3 kids from the Wonder Years recently met for lunch. I think Danica is instantly recognisable but Fred and Josh have changed a lot!

https://twitter.com/danicamckellar/status/1093204714534195200

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Mr E wrote: »
    The 3 kids from the Wonder Years recently met for lunch. I think Danica is instantly recognisable but Fred and Josh have changed a lot!

I think Fred is still very much like he was. Mannerism, appearance, everything. Except height maybe.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

In that picture, Fred looks different, but I've seen him elsewhere and it's easy to recognise him. Good to see Josh took off all the Marilyn Manson makeup. :)

And some day, I'll actually watch The Wonder Years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    In that picture, Fred looks different, but I've seen him elsewhere and it's easy to recognise him. Good to see Josh took off all the Marilyn Manson makeup. :)

Yea, he's stretched in that pic or something??

Can't remember other fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Re-Watched it there a few years ago. It's class.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Never watched it the first time around; I only know Fred Savage from The Princess Bride :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Little Monsters, When You Remember Me and, of course, the greatest video game ad of all time, The Wizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

.. the greatest video game ad of all time, The Wizard.
    Watched that again recently.. inevitably it hasn't aged well at all!

But fun fact - little Haley grew up to be a Jenny Lewis, from Rilo Kiley and The Postal Service.

the-wizard-2-800.jpgjenny_lewis_lj_031218.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Crackerjack is coming back!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/feb/11/bbc-to-bring-back-crackerjack-sam-and-mark-cbbc-iplayer
    The BBC is to revive the children’s TV show Crackerjack, 35 years after it was last aired.

The broadcaster announced that the programme, which originally ran from 1955 until 1984, will be made at MediaCityUK in Salford by BBC Children’s in-house production team. It will air next year on CBBC and iPlayer.

The programme was introduced every week with the phrase: “It’s Friday, it’s five to five … It’s Crackerjack!” It was originally filmed in front of an audience of children in London, and included teams of children competing in games, as well as comedy and music acts.

The BBC said the show would be updated for “today’s connected generation giving them an all-round, interactive experience while retaining the beating heart of what etched Crackerjack into the affections of British children for three decades”. There will be 10 episodes in the series.

Alan Alda's podcast released tomorrow will be with the surviving cast of M*A*S*H.

https://twitter.com/alanalda/status/1092225044443467776

I listened to that this morning, I've been listening to his podcast for a while. It was good fun. I've never seen M*A*S*H. :o

I listened to that this morning, I've been listening to his podcast for a while. It was good fun. I've never seen M*A*S*H. :o

I was convinced I used to watch MASH on BBC two without canned laughter but think I might be imagining that because I can't find proof/evidence anywhere. Tried watching an episode from a copy I acquired online and the laugh track makes it virtually unwatchable. Maybe I was just more forgiving when I was younger.

Edit: I would add it would have been repeats I was watching, too young to watch it when it was first out.

BBC Two showed it without the laughter track, can't recall if RTE ever screened it after the fact (at the time I'm pretty sure they showed the BBC copy on RTE 2 when that channel was 70-80% BBC programmes) but all reruns that I've glimpsed in recent times have been with the laugh track.

BBC Two showed it without the laughter track, can't recall if RTE ever screened it after the fact (at the time I'm pretty sure they showed the BBC copy on RTE 2 when that channel was 70-80% BBC programmes) but all reruns that I've glimpsed in recent times have been with the laugh track.

Thank you so much for that. I'd almost convinced myself I imagined it. It worked really well without the canned laughter (I thought). The poignant moments of it got lost with all the guffaws around it.

• Advertisement

M*A*S*H is one of the greatest of all time.

That final episode still gets me every time I watch it.

Loved the podcast.

Nicola Walker makes every tv show better. Such a great actor, really look forward to watching whatever she's in, even if its not always my cup of tea normally.

Nicola Walker makes every tv show better. Such a great actor, really look forward to watching whatever she's in, even if its not always my cup of tea normally.
    Yep, she's great. Suranne Jones and Sarah Lancashire would be two others I'd always watch.

Basq wrote: »
    Yep, she's great. Suranne Jones and Sarah Lancashire would be two others I'd always watch.

Sarah Lancashire particularly, when given the material she's as good as most big screen actors.

Actually.. just on the above.. Russell Tovey and Daniel Mays are fantastic too.

It's being reported that Apple are targeting a Spring launch for there streaming service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

US Only, or international? Still feeling pretty ambivalent about their service, have a feeling this might be their Google+ (wedging into a field already dominated by major players)

The original plan was for a global launch there is no comment if that is still the case for what is an expected April launch now.

The market is becoming so fragmented it's crazy. Disney will be joining the fray soon as well.

• Advertisement

Indeed, it's hard to muster the enthusiasm for Apples venture. Who knows, I did think Amazon's pivot into TV was a bit odd at first and they've turned out to produce a great deal of good content

Advertisement