Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

With the Awards Season in full flow, I was intrigued by this story about how the 1989 Oscars opened with a musical number that was so bad it ruined the producers life
    When the opening number of the 61st Academy Awards popped up on YouTube, it made a splash—even though it was almost 20 years old. For those of you who don’t remember the 1989 telecast, it was a surreal spectacle indeed, marked by an earsplitting duet by a tone-deaf Rob Lowe and a no-name actress dressed as Snow White. The 12-minute performance was so deliciously, remarkably bad that 1 million people watched it online in a single day. It was just more proof that the show was, and remains, the worst Oscars ever. This is the behind-the-scenes story of that rudderless evening—and of the flamboyant producer whose life it ruined.

https://www.lamag.com/longform/snow-job/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

One for a certain generation of folks myself included.
    Hey, remember the Banana Splits? Well, they’re coming back to TV… but not the way you remember them. At all.

The Banana Splits, a new movie that reimagines the furry kids’ show favorites in a meta horror thriller, will air later this year on Syfy, TVLine has learned. (The movie will debut first via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment before hitting Syfy.)

In the film, a boy named Harley celebrates his birthday by attending a taping of the Banana Splits TV show with his family. “But things take an unexpected turn — and the body count quickly rises,” per the movie’s official description. “Can Harley, his mom and their new pals safely escape?” Dani Kind (Wynonna Earp) stars as Harley’s mother Beth, with Sara Canning (The Vampire Diaries) playing the TV show’s producer Rebecca.

The original Banana Split characters Bingo, Fleegle, Snorky and Drooper — a gorilla, beagle, elephant and lion who play together in a rock band — will appear in the new movie as well. They debuted in the NBC Saturday morning show The Banana Splits Adventure Hour, from producers Sid and Marty Krofft, which aired from 1968 to 1970 and continued on in syndication for another decade.

https://tvline.com/2019/02/19/the-banana-splits-reboot-syfy-horror-movie/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Can't say I know them but at first I thought of Bananas in Pyjamas

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Remember them vaguely from Cartoon Network a few years back..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Watched the reruns of reruns of reruns in the 80s. Arabian nights cartoons in between the furry fellas running around. Loved it, though not really sure why.

Talking of old telly, Porridge is still great, often find myself watching the repeats on Yesterday. Ronnie Barker really was a brilliant comedy actor.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

What the hell is this film on rte 2 right now 1am Friday? Some kind of irish drama in Kerry with a teacher who hits the drink after his wife dies of cancer? It said it was supposed to be "The gift" and we were waiting to see where Jason Bateman was going to turn up...

Emily Deschanel & David Boreanaz along with another ex producer on Bones have been awarded a $179m in law suit against Fox over profit sharing.

Fox are appealing it.

Luke Perry has a massive stroke today just after it was announced that 90120 was have an Event Series reunion show with the original cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yikes. Hopefully he is OK, but a massive stroke is very serious.

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a26569780/luke-perry-stroke/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Awful news. Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Re-watching Longmire from the start, a quality television show.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Alex Trebec (Jeopardy host) has announced that he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. If I had a fraction of the bravery he shows in this video, I'd be doing well. Very low survival rates. Hope he is one of the few to beat it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Any body watching The Good Cop?

I see a lot of people are raving about this fan made reimagining of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. It's very well done in fairness...

Red Nose Day this year is doing a four weddings and a funeral bit with the original cast.

Mr E wrote: »
    I see a lot of people are raving about this fan made reimagining of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. It's very well done in fairness...

That’s really good.

Red Nose Day this year is doing a four weddings and a funeral bit with the original cast.

It's on now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I watched a bit of the Love, Actually special they did 2 years ago and it was crap. Don't have high hopes for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Farscape in HD will be added Amazon Prime tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One of the best SciFi shows nobody watched the first time around, and one of the few that managed to have properly alien characters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

David Simon's gone off on one, apparently. I won't get a chance to read it tonight.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/david-simon-writers-agents-packaging-fight-wga-ata-commentary-1202578152/

BLOCKBUSTERS is back ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057966523

Who's old enough here to remember the good olde days of daily His Bobness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

BLOCKBUSTERS is back ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057966523

Who's old enough here to remember the good olde days of daily His Bobness?

I'll have a P please Bob.

:)

Speedsie wrote: »
    I'll have a P please Bob.

:)

What P, is a very liked vegetable that rolls around on your plate and also a slang term for excreting bodily fluids?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,205 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

How did I only discover Misfits now that it's on box-sets on All4? It's hilarious!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mr E wrote: »
    Alex Trebec (Jeopardy host) has announced that he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. If I had a fraction of the bravery he shows in this video, I'd be doing well. Very low survival rates. Hope he is one of the few to beat it.

Sad to hear, that show (and him) is basically an American institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Sleepy wrote: »
    How did I only discover Misfits now that it's on box-sets on All4? It's hilarious!

Stop at the end of Series 2, it goes down hill. The storylines and powers get truly ridiculous. I wouldn't even watch the Christmas special, good as it is it has an ending that will make you want to watch more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sleepy wrote: »

It's a fantastic show - actually probably should get around to rewatching it at some stage in the not too distant future myself.
    FunLover18 wrote: »
    Stop at the end of Series 2, it goes down hill. The storylines and powers get truly ridiculous. I wouldn't even watch the Christmas special, good as it is it has an ending that will make you want to watch more.

No, you should watch the whole lot and form your own opinion - personally i found the later seasons are very enjoyable, just a bit different to the earlier ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

No, you should watch the whole lot and form your own opinion - personally i found the later seasons are very enjoyable, just a bit different to the earlier ones.
    The magic with 'Misfits' is
    the original cast
    - so once
    Sheehan left.. it's on shaky ground and then Rheon, Thomas, and Socha leave.. and it's largely poor
    - although
    Gilgun was inspired casting - though I've always been a fan from his TIE days!

Advertisement