Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Basq wrote: »
    The magic with 'Misfits' is
    the original cast
    - so once
    Sheehan left.. it's on shaky ground and then Rheon, Thomas, and Socha leave.. and it's largely poor
    - although
    Gilgun was inspired casting - though I've always been a fan from his TIE days!

Yeah, but that doesn't mean someone can't enjoy the entire series just because others don't like the direction a show takes for whatever the reason. I get why some people don't enjoy the later seasons, but I personally enjoyed the whole run as did many others, so it's just a bit of a pain when someone discovers a show for the first time and the immediate reaction from other people is "don't bother with anything past 'x' season because it's sh*t after that" because it just puts people off altogether, when they may well enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Ah no, I agree... I'm just voicing my opinion of the series as I watched.

Have Howard Overman had much luck since? It was since as incredibly witty fresh show for it's time. He was involved in the BBC Dirk Gently if i recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think Levar is right that Sleepy should form their own opinion. For me it wasn't just the
    casting, although Sheehan was a huge loss, but the writing. Howard Overman took a step back after Series 3 I think and the storylines afterwards were complete muck, I still cringe when I think of the power where you can take someone else's power by fcking them. It lost it's magic. For me series 2 has the perfect ending if you ignore the Christmas special.[\Spoiler]

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Basq wrote: »
    ^ Ah no, I agree... I'm just voicing my opinion of the series as I watched.

Have Howard Overman had much luck since? It was since as incredibly witty fresh show for it's time. He was involved in the BBC Dirk Gently if i recall correctly.

I wasn't having ago at anyone, just in case anyone thought I was - moreso venting my own frustrations in general with people warding others off shows after a certain point.

Pretty sure Overman has been constantly working on something or other. I know he was involved with Atlantis on BBC (which I haven't watched at all), Crazyhead for E4 (which I quite enjoyed), and co-created Future Man on Hulu (which is supposed to be great, but I haven't gotten around to yet).

Hate to be the guy who brings this up but can Crimecall really be justified as prime time tv in this day and age? I'm sorry but it's the exact same thing every episode, just change the faces. You'd think that it would be sensible to at least put it AFTER Claire Byrne live, then let people who want to watch it watch it and people who have an interest in an actual current affairs programme (and actually have somewhere to be in the morning) watch that.

They're artificially boosting the viewership by putting it in between the two. Almost nobody watches these shows, even the famous America's Most Wanted got canned due to low ratings. I'm pretty sure the only people who watch this on a regular basis are old people being frightened in their homes. It's not the public's job to do the police's work for them.

Garda Patrol used to do it so much better- straight to the point- and weekly too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,205 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

FunLover18 wrote: »
    For me it wasn't just the
    but the writing. Howard Overman took a step back after Series 3 I think and the storylines afterwards were complete muck
    Ah, I suspect my enjoyment of it might drop off a bit. My favourite bit about the series so far is the writing. If Howard Overman was the one coming up with Nathan's one-liners (which were brilliantly delivered by Sheehan to be fair) it'd be hard to see the show maintaining it's quality after his departure. What else has he written btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Sleepy wrote: »
    Ah, I suspect my enjoyment of it might drop off a bit. My favourite bit about the series so far is the writing. If Howard Overman was the one coming up with Nathan's one-liners (which were brilliantly delivered by Sheehan to be fair) it'd be hard to see the show maintaining it's quality after his departure. What else has he written btw?

He wrote a detective series for BBC called Vexed with Lucy Punch and Toby Stephens, the stories weren't great but again the chemistry between the leads was great. Lucy Punch moved on after the first series though and again later series aren't as good (there have been only two series). It's on Netflix AFAIK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hopefully James Corden isn't in this. I'm a simple man, two Welsh blokes with beards, I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Hopefully James Corden isn't in this. I'm a simple man, two Welsh blokes with beards, I like.

Corden is only in the carpool karaoke that are on his show he doesn’t appear in the separate series that this is a trailer from

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just saw last night that Forces Tv is showing The Equaliser. Was episode 17 last night. Good quality as well as opposed to some of those free to air stations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just saw last night that Forces Tv is showing The Equaliser. Was episode 17 last night. Good quality as well as opposed to some of those free to air stations

Classic TV Shows
    Last Page

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

RTE Player has first 7 seasons of ER.

Examiner link

I thought I was doing well with catching up on stuff to watch then come home today to see what I have to watch:
    new Sabrina episodes
    new Tick episodes
    Doom Patrol
    Star Trek Discovery
    Supernatural
    2 Cloak & Dagger
    Our Planet

and it's Wrestlemania weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I thought I was doing well with catching up on stuff to watch then come home today to see what I have to watch:
    new Sabrina episodes
    new Tick episodes
    Doom Patrol
    Star Trek Discovery
    Supernatural
    2 Cloak & Dagger
    Our Planet

and it's Wrestlemania weekend
    Our planet should be good, I purposely stopped watching years ago because of what they left out, finally they let people know the damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

She pleads guilty

‘Smallville’s Allison Mack Pleads Guilty In Sex Cult Case
    Smallville alumna Allison Mack has changed her plea to guilty in the wild sex-cult case. She originally had pleaded not guilty on racketeering charges of sex trafficking, sex trafficking conspiracy and forced labor conspiracy.

Mack, who played Chloe Sullivan for 10 seasons on the Superman TV series, was indicted a year ago along with Keith Raniere, the alleged leader of a self-help program and purported pyramid scheme that federal prosecutors say included operating a shadow society of female “slaves.”

According to prosecutors, Mack is credited in publicly available materials with co-creating a program called The Source, which recruited actors. Read the sometimes-graphic details from the Justice Department about the case below.

During a court hearing in December, Mack had argued that she isn’t guilty of inducing forced labor if the Church of Scientology isn’t guilty of the same charge. She entered the new plea Monday at U.S. District Court for the Eastern District in Brooklyln.

In 2015, per court records, Raniere created a secret society within his self-help company Nxivm called DOS, “an acronym for a Latin phrase that loosely translates to ‘Lord/Master of the Obedient Female Companions’,” according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office. Investigators believe Mack and other DOS masters recruited slaves by telling them that they were joining a women-only organization that would empower them and “eradicate purported weaknesses that the Nxivm curriculum taught were common in women.”

Here are details of the case from the Justice Department press release:

According to court filings, during the past 20 years, Raniere established a series of purported self-help programs within his umbrella organization “Nxivm” (pronounced NEX-i-um). Nxivm is based in Albany, New York and has operated centers in the United States, Mexico, Canada and South America. Nxivm maintains features of a pyramid scheme, as its courses cost thousands of dollars each and participants (“Nxians”) are encouraged to pay for additional classes and to recruit others to take classes in order to rise within the ranks of Nxivm. A number of Nxians were residents of the Eastern District of New York when they were recruited, and Nxivm has held promotional recruiting events in Brooklyn. Mack is credited in publicly available materials with co-creating a Nxivm program, called The Source, which recruited actors.

As detailed in court filings, in 2015, Raniere created a secret society within Nxivm called “DOS,” an acronym that stands for a Latin phrase that loosely translates to “Lord/Master of the Obedient Female Companions,” or “The Vow.” DOS operated with levels of women “slaves” headed by “masters.” Slaves were expected to recruit slaves of their own (thus becoming masters themselves), who in turn owed service not only to their own masters but also to masters above them in the DOS pyramid. Raniere stood alone at the top of the pyramid. Other than Raniere, all members of DOS were women. Mack is one of the women in the first level of the pyramid immediately below Raniere.

Mack and other DOS masters recruited DOS slaves by telling them that they were joining a women-only organization that would empower them and eradicate purported weaknesses that the Nxivm curriculum taught were common in women. Mack and other DOS masters concealed Raniere’s status at the top of the pyramid from new recruits.

As a pre-condition to joining DOS, women were required to provide “collateral,” which included highly damaging information about friends and family members, nude photographs and/or rights to the recruit’s assets. DOS slaves were told that their collateral could be released for any number of reasons, including telling anyone about DOS’s existence or leaving DOS. Many DOS slaves were branded on their pelvic areas using a cauterizing pen with a symbol which, unbeknownst to them, incorporated Raniere’s initials. During the branding ceremonies, slaves were required to be fully naked, and a master would order one slave to film the branding while the others restrained the slave being branded.

According to court filings, Mack directly or implicitly required her slaves, including Jane Does 1 and 2, as identified in the Indictment, to engage in sexual activity with Raniere. In exchange for this, Mack received financial and other benefits from Raniere. Jane Doe 1 and Jane Doe 2 believed that if they did not participate in those activities with Raniere, their collateral would be released.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/allison-mack-pleads-guilty-sex-cult-smallville-actress-1202591266/

To think Kristin Kreuk supposedly nearly fell for that as well. Just looking up Alison and I see she's "married" to Cally from BSG who was also a member/slave

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hollywood is so weird; it exists as an exception to every other conventional industry, and I can never work out why it attracts so many broken or warped people.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Copied from CVPL forum - made me smile. :o

Xb1UG6I.jpg

^^I don't find the growth in legit platforms an incentive to go for piracy, tbh. It's level of choice now that's like going into a restaurant and being handed 4-5 menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

^^I don't find the growth in legit platforms an incentive to go for piracy, tbh. It's level of choice now that's like going into a restaurant and being handed 4-5 menus.

And paying for all four or five even if you only like one thing to eat from one particular menu.

Or, you could hop on a good ship pirate app and they'd give you all you can eat from every menu for free.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As said above, I could see how it has encouraged piracy because there's usually 1 or 2 shows a person might want to check out on Service X, but certainly are not, or can't, sign up to it.

It's a tricky needle to thread, because in most other walks of life, a saturated market is better for consumers as it gives more choice & better pricing, while a monopoly can be a disaster for consumers; I certainly don't want someone like Disney controlling all the media, but it is enticingly convenient to have just one or two services to sign up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

And paying for all four or five even if you only like one thing to eat from one particular menu.

Or, you could hop on a good ship pirate app and they'd give you all you can eat from every menu for free.

Do you mean don't want to pay for multiple services the you only want to watch one thing on each?

If you don't want to pay then just forget about those movies or TV shows.

Has The Treaty ever been released digitally or on DVD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

pixelburp wrote: »
    As said above, I could see how it has encouraged piracy because there's usually 1 or 2 shows a person might want to check out on Service X, but certainly are not, or can't, sign up to it.

It's a tricky needle to thread, because in most other walks of life, a saturated market is better for consumers as it gives more choice & better pricing, while a monopoly can be a disaster for consumers; I certainly don't want someone like Disney controlling all the media, but it is enticingly convenient to have just one or two services to sign up to.

Spotify, Deezer, Google Music all carry pretty much the same content, albeit with some exclusives.

That's the model that drives down piracy.

I want to watch stuff on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and all the other ones, but get fúcked if I'm paying subs for them all. I can't afford that. So I pirate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Do you mean don't want to pay for multiple services the you only want to watch one thing on each?

If you don't want to pay then just forget about those movies or TV shows.

Or pirate.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Or pirate.

No.

Plenty in life besides TV. Have you nothing else to do? I've got iTunes, Netflix and Prime and I can barely find the time to watch one episode, let alone a movie. I'm on here looking to see if The Treaty is on DVD even though I can't see how I'll get to watch it. :P

I've never wanted anything enough to consider stealing it just because I couldn't afford it. Or as the case probably is here, to be just too cheap to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I've never wanted anything enough to consider stealing it just because I couldn't afford it. Or as the case probably is here, to be just too cheap to pay.
    Cool, good for you. But not everyone follows your morals, and many don't consider it stealing, or simply don't care. You won't change anyone's mind riding around on your high horse, calling people cheap.

Cool, good for you. But not everyone follows your morals, and many don't consider it stealing, or simply don't care. You won't change anyone's mind riding around on your high horse, calling people cheap.

It is stealing and you are only fooling yourself saying it isn't. It is called piracy - a form of robbery.

I've no interest in changing anyone's mind and there is no high horse. I find it odd that you are attempting to throw insults at someone because that said the don't steal. That is pretty ridiculous.

And it does happen because people are cheap.

That some people don't care it is stealing is likewise not an argument. The guys who rob houses and cars likewise don't care it is stealing, but you'd be one upset if it happened to you.

This is a discussion forum, correct? Did I say someone shouldn't give their opinion? No. Yet apparently I'm not supposed to? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

It is stealing and you are only fooling yourself saying it isn't. It is called piracy - a form of robbery.

I've no interest in changing anyone's mind and there is no high horse.

And it does happen because people are cheap.

That some people don't care it is stealing is likewise not an argument. The guys who rob houses and cars likewise don't care it is stealing, but you'd be one upset if it happened to you.

This is a discussion forum, correct? Did I say someone shouldn't give their opinion? No. Yet apparently I'm not supposed to? :confused:
    Yeah, but by stealing these delicious torrents, I and others save so much money. If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting people...give...their money...away for stuff easily stolen using the internet? Pure madness. I'd definitely download a house and a car if I could.

• Advertisement

Advertisement