Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched the first episode of that "There's Something About Movies". It's crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Watched the first episode of that "There's Something About Movies". It's crap!
    I loathe Alan Carr, but I will say I don't judge panel shows on a first episode.

I know it's a comedy show but I do like questions in quiz shows.

So with the upfronts starting next week, I expect we'll get some leaks/announcements this week.
    Maybe finally hear Lethal Weapon's fate.

Don't think there are any other series where the status is unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Is The Rookie safe?

• Advertisement

Forgot about that. No word on it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

Sky Box Sets question.

I watch my TV by way of Free Sat so I end up watching a lot of US series on DVDs borrowed from the Library.

I'm currently about to start watching Better Call Saul season 4.

All the episodes have Cast and Crew Commentaries. I've often wondered have Sky Box Sets also got these commentaries.

DVD also includes a Gag Reel, a Slippin’ Kimmy Featurette, 10 Madrigal Security Training Videos with Mike Ehrmantraut and a Short Film: No Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Still my favourite blooper of all-time... :D

^ After a rewatch of The Office US late last year, this is my next rewatch. On S01E04.. forgot how much Mark Brendanowicz sucks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

We're also rewatching it at the moment, had forgotten I had a total schoolboy crush on Rashida Jones :o:D

Such a fantastic cast though, no dud characters (maybe councilman Jamm later on) but you can see why Mark left. He had no personality, nor any hook to make you root for / laugh with him.

Never watched, but I now know Aubrey from Legion, Rashida from Angie Tribeca and Chris from some small indie films released the past few years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's on Amazon Prime if you have it; now g'way off and watch it, though hold your nose for that 6 episode season 1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Never watched, but I now know Aubrey from Legion, Rashida from Angie Tribeca and Chris from some small indie films released the past few years

Definitely give Parks & Rec a go. As pixelburp mentioned, the first season is quite rough and makes it hard to get in to, but it finds its way as Season 2 progresses.

Also :D at knowing Chris Pratt from some small Indie films... I've seen a few of them myself - surely he's gonna catch his big break one of these days! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Just finished a complete rewatch of Parks and Rec, was like meeting up with old friends. Even Craig wasn’t as annoying this time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Also went completely over my head at the time but there are references to 'Andy' buffing up! At one point he mentions he just gave up beer :D

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Even Craig wasn’t as annoying this time around!
    Will not have a bad word said about Billy Eichner.. he's fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Disney Gains Full Control Of Hulu In Deal With Comcast, Cementing Streaming Strategy

https://deadline.com/2019/05/disney-gains-control-of-hulu-in-landmark-deal-with-comcast-1202614392/

Obviously there's a forum for the show, but IMO this is too stupid not to share: a petition (with 322k signatures at time of posting), calling for HBO to remake Game of Thrones, Season 8 :rolleyes:

Obviously the usual caveats about online petitions apply - and in sharing I'm probably contributing to the Barbara Streisand Effect - but just in case you didn't already think (some) fans aren't whiny, entitled brats, here's more evidence :D

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Letter campaigns by fans owing to shows having been cancelled, etc, have always made me cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nice closure to The Big Bang Theory last night.

Was listening to This American Life episode I'm on TV?? on the way home. Haven't finished it yet.

From the transcript.
    Dan Taberski: Yeah, the thing about Live PD is that half the country doesn't even know what it is. And in the meantime, it was the most DVRed show of 2018. It's three hours long of live policing on Friday night and then another three hours of live policing on Saturday night.

Crazy stats. Reddit seems mixed on this ep of TAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Does the phrase "What-ho, black" mean anything to you guys?

It popped into my head the other day and I'm certain it is from an old movie or TV show.

Blackadder maybe?

I remember one of Hugh Laurie's characters used to walk into scene with a jaunty & manic "What ho blackadder!", much to 'aul Bladder's resignation...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What Ho I'm Pretty sure it's from P.G Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

It is definitely just "What-ho black".

I don't think it was a catchphrase - just a once off line.

Maybe it was something I heard in the real world.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

There are quite few shows on Netflix that I watch.

I started Jack Ryan and Mrs. Maisel on Prime and they've got a more I'd like to see.

I don't binge watch for two reasons - if I like a series I want it to last and on occasions where I have binged a season I do not properly remember the events, if I remember at all, when going into the next season.

And I am way behind on everything because I rarely get the time to sit down.

How do you folks manage? Do most people binge watch stuff?

Laters - I actually have a couple of free hours today. :P

Hate binge watching myself. Robs the fun and drip-drip of tension and excitement from savouring the drama of a show. I try to just watch the things I truly enjoy and by trying to stick to an approximate one-per-week, means things last a bit longer.

Killing Eve for instance; came to season 1 later than most and while it had myself and the wife on tenterhooks we preferred the nervous excitement of wondering what'll happen next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hate binge watching myself. Robs the fun and drip-drip of tension and excitement from savouring the drama of a show. I try to just watch the things I truly enjoy and by trying to stick to an approximate one-per-week, means things last a bit longer.

Killing Eve for instance; came to season 1 later than most and while it had myself and the wife on tenterhooks we preferred the nervous excitement of wondering what'll happen next.

I like watching an episode a week too but something always gets in the way.

I can't even figure out how people get the time to binge.:confused:

Advertisement