Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

This is a good interview with Dick Van Dyke. I didn't know he had a drinking problem. And what happened to talk shows like this? Save for Letterman's recent Netflix thing. Dick Cavett's still around too.

I've seen a few of these Cavett interviews on Youtube over the years.

A really good show. Just last week I saw one with Kirk Douglas talking about John Wayne and Richard Harris about his haunted house. :)

Gaybo and Parkinson where the last of the great chat show hosts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've seen a few of these Cavett interviews on Youtube over the years.

Someone's gone on an uploading spree as some are fairly recent posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The streaming wars heats up even more.

Warner Bros have named there streaming platform which will arrive in 2020.

HBO Max.

Along with Friends and all The CW shows these will be the originals being put out.
    Max Original series previously announced include:

Dune: The Sisterhood, an adaptation of Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson’s book based in the world created by Frank Herbert’s book “Dune,” from director Denis Villeneuve

Tokyo Vice, based on Jake Adelstein’s non-fiction first-hand account of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police beat starring Ansel Elgort

The Flight Attendant, a one-hour thriller series based on the novel by Chris Bohjalian, which will star Kaley Cuoco, who is also executive producing alongside Greg Berlanti

Love Life, a 10-episode half-hour romantic comedy anthology series, produced by Lionsgate Television, starring Pitch Perfect‘s star Anna Kendrick, who will also executive produce alongside Paul Feig

Station Eleven, a post-apocalyptic limited series based on Emily St. John Mandel’s international bestseller, adapted by Patrick Somerville and directed by Hiro Murai
    Made for Love, a 10-episode, half-hour, straight-to-series adaptation based on the tragicomic novel of the same name by Alissa Nutting, also from Somerville and directed by S.J. Clarkson

Gremlins, an animated series from Warner Bros. Animation and Amblin Entertainment based on the original movie

Stephen King’s The Outsider, a dark mystery starring Ben Mendelsohn, produced and directed by Jason Bateman

Lovecraft Country, a unique horror series based on a novel by Matt Ruff, written and executive produced by Misha Green, and executive produced by Jordan Peele and J.J. Abrams

The Nevers, Joss Whedon’s new science fiction series starring Laura Donnelly
    The Gilded Age, the opulent world of 1885 New York from Downton Abbey‘s Julian Fellowes

Avenue 5, high satire aboard a space-bound cruise ship from Armando Iannucci (Veep), starring Hugh Laurie and Josh Gad

The Undoing, a psychological thriller from David E. Kelley, directed by Susanne Bier starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant

The Plot Against America, reimagined history based on Phillip Roth’s novel written and executive produced by David Simon and EdBurns, starring Winona Ryder and John Turturro

Perry Mason, the classic legal drama for a new generation, executive produced by Robert Downey, Jr. and Susan Downey, with Matthew Rhys in the title role

I Know This Much Is True, a complex family drama starring Mark Ruffalo playing twin brothers, one of whom has schizophrenia, based on the best-selling novel by Wally Lamb, written and directed by Derek Cianfrance.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/warnermedia-names-streaming-service-hbo-max-confirms-friends-greg-berlanti-reese-witherspoon-in-the-mix-1202643722/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some very high profile content there, wow. They still have a mountain to climb to catch Netflix though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So they call it HBO Max then only announce originals, CW shows and Friends? No HBO series?

And does this mean The Nevers has moved from being HBO?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Anyone watch Bosch before?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

beertons wrote: »

I've watched the first series and it's very good. It's one case per season show so don't go in expecting a procedural.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

very enjoyable series and easy watching

The internet isn’t for everyone

Great. No idea how I found it. Watched 2 episodes areir, they feel like they're over in no time.

Where do I know Harry from again?

Great. No idea how I found it. Watched 2 episodes areir, they feel like they're over in no time.

Where do I know Harry from again?

Lost, SOA, Deadwood, The Good Wife?

• Advertisement

I only watched the good wife from that list. I thought it was something like LA Law. I've have a Google Now and check.

I only watched the good wife from that list. I thought it was something like LA Law. I've have a Google Now and check.

Maybe it was the good wife. I thought he was a more action kind of guy.

Married 5 times, talk about not getting it right. Eeek.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

Someone's gone on an uploading spree as some are fairly recent posts.

They are a far better quality than the ones I’ve seen in the past.

I assume some work was put into cleaning these as they don’t look like video taken from a VHS tape.

No spoilers for season 1 or 2 please.

Is there going to be a third season of Mars (National Geographic)?

I can't see any information online as to whether the story has been concluded or whether it is or isn't getting another season.

No spoilers for season 1 or 2 please.

Is there going to be a third season of Mars (National Geographic)?

I can't see any information online as to whether the story has been concluded or whether it is or isn't getting another season.

Nothing announced yet. Still up in the air (pun intended) :o

http://www.cancelledscifi.com/sci-fi-tv-shows/mars/

Mr E wrote: »
    Nothing announced yet. Still up in the air (pun intended) :o

http://www.cancelledscifi.com/sci-fi-tv-shows/mars/

Season 2 finished airing last December.

If no announcement has been by now is it likely to be returning? I assume if it was in production the word would be out?

No idea, sorry!

So with SDCC this week, early previews are starting to come out for pilots. So far we have Batwoman and Pennyworth. Batwoman seems mixed and Pennyworth mostly positive.
    I'm sure we'll get more

Britbox the streaming platform from the BBC & ITV that has been in the US for years will launch towards the end of the year this side of the world.

£5.99 a month in HD for one device.

It has everything from Dr Who, Dad's Army to Broadchurch.

This is very cool. Channel 4 are running a realtime stream of the moon landing from 1969.
    In orbit and on descent now.

The 'one small step' was 6h39 minutes after the landing.

Audio only at the moment, but I'm sure it will switch to video when there is something to show.

• Advertisement

The comments are hilarious. At least once a minute, someone asks if this is live. :)

Religious nuts are saying God will judge us all.

A lot of commenters saying it's fake.

OK I think it's minute for minute with the events in 1969. So the 'eagle has landed' will be 9:17pm and 'one small step' will be 3:56am.

Dunno. Watching that video it looks fake to me. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Dunno. Watching that video it looks fake to me. :pac:

BANNED.

It's live now on Channel 4 in HD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

HBO getting in on things too. Just posted this.

This evening trailers from C.C are killing it but fcuk everything is coming in 2020 Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Like Picard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

This is very cool.

I think it's one of the dumbest ideas anyone has ever had for a show - and I include Big Brother in that.
    The comments are hilarious. At least once a minute, someone asks if this is live. :)

Nothing like laughing at mentally impaired people.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

HBO getting in on things too. Just posted this.

That is a series from the late 90's.

They've just released remastered in HD.

• Advertisement

Wonder if they're related to Lloyd

Advertisement