Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Netflix must have been very influential in reducing torrents outside of the US. They bought up so many shows from various TV stations in the US. and, in the case of currently running TV shows they started showing them the day after broadcast.

So now Amazon Prime is beginning to gain traction in Europe - I know it's been around for ages but it's finally starting to look interesting.

I'm a big Star Trek nerd. I was excited that Netflix had the rights to the new Star Trek series Discovery. Woohoo!!! Win. I'm already paying for 4K Netflix. Nice one!

Now Trek's next series - which I was REALLY looking forward to, is going to Amazon Prime.

Netflix was handy in Europe because it unified our location for watching movies and shows legit. You had shows from various US and UK stations all in one place. You were paying for them. Everyone happy. Torrenting dropped, viewers and revenue went up. Game of Thrones was still massively downloaded partly because, unless you were subscribed to Sky, you couldn't see it in UK/Ireland.

But now we have Netflix, Amazon Prime, the upcoming BBC/ITV thing and probably more.

Are you subscribed to any of these? Will you subscribe to more than one? On top of your TV license?

Do you think this re-fragmentation will lead to a resurgence in torrenting of TV shows especially? Will we have 10-15 subscription-based streaming "stations" in 10 years time, each with their own properties only?

Personally, I'm a bit conflicted: I don't want to see only one provider because that leads to abuse of position. But I also don't want to be in a situation where I have to pay a tenner every month to 10 subscriptions in order to watch one show on each. Maybe they just need to go global (if they can, copyright and content-wise). have all your stations available to all. Have your geo-location advertising. Maintain local TV license fees if required. In Ireland this would mean that less money would be spent on foreign shows because they will be available elsewhere. This would mean more for locally-produced shows.

Some stations may die but.... y'know :)

So, whatdya think?

tldr: Will you pay for more than one subscription streaming service as more and more startup or will torrenting explode again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fact is, there are, or will be, way too many streaming options and there's simply no way I can justify or afford to shell out for 3+ streaming services. It's unrealistic and if the companies themselves don't factor this in, someone's going to crash and burn out of the belief that the number of potential subscribers is infinite.

I think there's a few things coming down the tracks on Amazon that'd turn my head (Picard, the Lord of the Rings show, Iain M. Banks adaptations, The Expanse s4 to name four), but ATM there's an awful amount of shovelware on it, on a par with where Netflix was a few years ago. I contemplated pulling the plug on that service, only for it to get a few more decent options, so am in two minds as to wether to keep going on Amazon.

Where Amazon becomes a different question for me, is how it ALREADY is a monopoly, albeit in our broader lives. I'm slowly turning against the company out of broad principle: it's a absolute behemoth of a company, whose employees seem to be one step above paid-slave labour, while its presence as a seller of evvvvverything - now including TV entertainment FFS - is pushing me towards taking a stance and putting a stop to giving it any money and killing off competition. I've limited myself to kindle purchases - because that has been handy for me - but otherwise? I'm at a point of saying "screw Amazon".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

pixelburp wrote: »
    Fact is, there are, or will be, way too many streaming options and there's simply no way I can justify or afford to shell out for 3+ streaming services. It's unrealistic and if the companies themselves don't factor this in, someone's going to crash and burn out of the belief that the number of potential subscribers is infinite.

I think there's a few things coming down the tracks on Amazon that'd turn my head (Picard, the Lord of the Rings show, Iain M. Banks adaptations, The Expanse s4 to name four), but ATM there's an awful amount of shovelware on it, on a par with where Netflix was a few years ago. I contemplated pulling the plug on that service, only for it to get a few more decent options, so am in two minds as to wether to keep going on Amazon.

Where Amazon becomes a different question for me, is how it ALREADY is a monopoly, albeit in our broader lives. I'm slowly turning against the company out of broad principle: it's a absolute behemoth of a company, whose employees seem to be one step above paid-slave labour, while its presence as a seller of evvvvverything - now including TV entertainment FFS - is pushing me towards taking a stance and putting a stop to giving it any money and killing off competition. I've limited myself to kindle purchases - because that has been handy for me - but otherwise? I'm at a point of saying "screw Amazon".

That's pretty much exactly my opinion also. I have Netflix. I do not have Amazon Prime: I went through a phase of buying everything on Amazon but have recently made an effort to buy more in bricks-and-mortar shops (2 years ago I bought 95% of my Christmas presents on Amazon. Lat year, intentionally, it was less than 1/3).

I believe you are correct. I can see more and more starting up but many of them going to the wall. BBC/ITV? I know they have a huge back catalogue with some quality shows but are you gonna spend your money on Netflix or Eastenders reruns?

If anything has a chance of surviving it will be Disney+. But even this is a big ask. Of course Disney own EVERYTHING and they are investing mindbogglingly huge amounts of money into their own online Marvel and Star Wars TV shows but they will need to keep churning this out.

I think people will max out at about 45 Euro a month, which is a lot of money, for 2 or 3 services and..... acquire the rest and I think, in the long run, the stations will lose out: Surely a smaller cut on someone else's platform is better than nothing at all from torrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Bank Holiday weekend, chance to watch a couple of movies on Netflix...nice one

Watched 'The Red Sea Diving Resort' Saturday night. Interesting story but not a great movie.

'Babydriver' on Sunday night. Started out good, good music, very stylish. By the end I was just glad it was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

De Bhál wrote: »
    Bank Holiday weekend, chance to watch a couple of movies on Netflix...nice one

Watched 'The Red Sea Diving Resort' Saturday night. Interesting story but not a great movie.

'Babydriver' on Sunday night. Started out good, good music, very stylish. By the end I was just glad it was over.

Ah jaysus, they're some turds.

Try "Ready Player One".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭1012594711

Javier Bardem plays one of the villains and he parachutes out of a helicopter to attack 'M', holding a blaring loudspeaker playing a pop song. I wonder what the name of the song is? I could just find the section of the film, play that into a search engine, but I'm a bit lazy today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

1012594711 wrote: »
    Javier Bardem plays one of the villains and he parachutes out of a helicopter to attack 'M', holding a blaring loudspeaker playing a pop song. I wonder what the name of the song is? I could just find the section of the film, play that into a search engine, but I'm a bit lazy today

You asked this question already and was answered: FYI this is the TV forum, assuming you didn't post here by accident.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058003175/1/#post110884456

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭1012594711

I did post in another forum. I may have missed one of the replies in that forum, the one I saw was that there's another forum for questions so I posted the question to this forum. It's OK I found the answer to my question though

vargoo wrote: »

Try "Ready Player One".

yeah they were turds alright.

Yeah I'll give that one a go at the weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Only noticed the smart TV has an app called Rakuten TV. Had to update before opening. Never heard of it. It's another streaming...didn't click further as it was looking for credit card info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

That has been around for years. You could rent new releases on it like on itunes. Pringles for the last few years gave away free films on promotions packets usually on the lead up to Christmas.

Try "Ready Player One".

No sign of it on Netflix :(
    Watched three episodes of Dark instead. Quality stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

De Bhál wrote: »
    yeah they were turds alright.

Yeah I'll give that one a go at the weekend.

Ready Player One is like watching dog **** dry in the sun.

I was told this a few years ago and I don't know if it really happened and I have no idea why this is in my head at the moment. Looked on Google but nothing there.

Back during the days of The Tudors (the TV show, not the family :p) Cillian Murphy or Jonathan Rhys Meyers (not sure which) were being interviewed at something like the Emmys when it was interrupted by either Cillian Murphy or Jonathan Rhys Meyers (still not sure which) with the comment "can I bum a fag?" - said apparently just to be a bit politically incorrect.

Does anyone remember this?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Ready Player One is like watching dog **** dry in the sun.

Ah bollox!

Why? Be exact, or remotely better than the turd you dropped above

I put a good few onto that, all liked it.

Ah bollox!

I was as exact and detailed as you were when you called the other movies "turds" and when you recommended Ready Player One.

Why are you getting your knickers in a twist just because I was as "exact" as you?

You recommended a film, I threw out a comment it is boring film. What is the big deal? So what if others liked it and I didn't.

If you really want a detailed explanation of why it is boring then you first had ti give a detailed review of why it is good.

Also, is turds a word you use here a lot?

Ah bollox!

I was as exact and detailed as you were when you called the other movies "turds" and when you recommended Ready Player One.

Why are you getting your knickers in a twist just because I was as "exact" as you?

You recommended a film, I threw out a comment it is boring film. So what if others liked it and I didn't. What is the big deal?

If you really want a detailed explanation of why it is boring then you first had ti give a detailed review of why it is good.

Also, is turds a word you use here a lot?

Back again with another question about about a cancelled TV show. No spoilers please. :p

Are seasons one and two of The Exorcist two stand alone stories and does season two end with a cliffhanger?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Back again with another question about about a cancelled TV show. No spoilers please. :p

Are seasons one and two of The Exorcist two stand alone stories and does season two end with a cliffhanger?

1 follows the original book/film. 2 is another family, different location. Same priests. Can't remember the ending off hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2475544/2019-fall-tv-premiere-schedule-dates-for-new-and-returning-shows

For anyone wanting to see the dates for shows returning/debuting.
    Any suggestions for a better site?

I discovered from that list that "Zombie Tidal Wave" is a thing, from the people who brought us the Sharknado movies.

Also looks like I definitely won't be watching Carnival Row right away. It releases the same day as Dark Crystal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

CastorTroy wrote: »
    https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2475544/2019-fall-tv-premiere-schedule-dates-for-new-and-returning-shows

For anyone wanting to see the dates for shows returning/debuting.
    Any suggestions for a better site?

I discovered from that list that "Zombie Tidal Wave" is a thing, from the people who brought us the Sharknado movies.

Also looks like I definitely won't be watching Carnival Row right away. It releases the same day as Dark Crystal

I use TVTime app, for any shows I currently have on my watchlist or profile it will show when they air in my google calendar. Doesn’t show return dates for shows not on your list or new shows though

Or try http://www.airdates.tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

Does anyone know we can stream or buy the BBC’s “Dissected - The Incredible Human Hand” and the second episode “Incredible Human Foot”. A stream or digital download is preferable but a DVD would do.

It is is needed for educational purposes and is important.

I had them recorded on the Eir TV box but that had to be replaced recently.

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Regarding a song, does anyone know the song of this AIB Mortgages advert? It aired back in 2015.

Shazam doesn't seem to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Regarding a song, does anyone know the song of this AIB Mortgages advert? It aired back in 2015.
    Did you post the wrong link? There's just a boy going around with a bit of music playing in the background but no song.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is singing in the background. Kind of folky group singing....

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Mr E wrote: »
    There is singing in the background. Kind of folky group singing....

LOL, must be my old ears but I can barely hear a couple of smidgeens at a tiny level and almost obliterated by the music :). Catchy tune, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Mebuntu wrote: »
    LOL, must be my old ears but I can barely hear a couple of smidgeens at a tiny level and almost obliterated by the music :). Catchy tune, though.

So what is the tune then lads...?:D:D:D

I see TG4 have been showing the West Wing, currently season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

I see TG4 have been showing the West Wing, currently season 4.
    You need to follow the Irish Premiere Dates thread :pac:

From Sept 3rd last year.
    Skid X wrote: »
    TG4 started a repeat run of The West Wing today from the pilot episode onwards, seems to be on every weekday at about 1.15pm
    From April 27th this year.
    Skid X wrote: »
    This is not a premiere, but TG4 have just come to the end of their marathon run of daily afternoon repeats of all 154 episodes of The West Wing ...

... and they are about to start all over again. Series 1 Episode 1 begins Monday at 1.15pm, episodes continue on Weekdays until next Christmas, probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Got to watch this, this morning it's 10 year since Patrick Swayze died and this is a documentary made with/by those closest to him.

Recommend it highly if you come across it and have a few tissues ready.

Advertisement