Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

A question, does anyone know whether Rowan Atkinson is "mixed"? He always looked sorta French/Spanish when I was watching him in Mr. Bean

I checked his Wiki page but there was nothing there. Although I did learn that his brother ran for the UKIP leadership and his other brother is described as a Eurosceptic economist.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well that one day has arrived it airs tonight in the States on Lifetime I'll have to check it out.
    This will make an interesting Made for TV film one day.

Smallville Star Allison Mack Says Branding Women in NXIVM ‘Sex Cult’ Was Her Idea

https://www.thewrap.com/smallville-star-allison-mack-claims-credit-branding-women-nxivm-sex-cult/

Escaping the NXIVM Cult: A Mother's Fight to Save Her Daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 86,129 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Robert De Niro on a comedy roast for Alec Baldwin, he really will do anything now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Am I the only one who things Gabriel Macht, "Harvey" from Suits is pretty good looking?..I'm saying this as a male.

220px-GabrielMachtMar09.jpg

Am I the only one who things Gabriel Macht, "Harvey" from Suits is pretty good looking?..I'm saying this as a male.

Pretty good looking? He is extremely good looking and I am also male. Knows how to wear a three-piece as well.

• Advertisement

th?id=OIP.RJdC1lf0YoKSg4bvvjnF4AHaJ_&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

03d6821ff13feb964e291afddf388298.jpg

US TV season starts tonight 2 new shows I'm looking forward to are Prodigal Son and Evil both starting this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, should be a good week for TV. Some things I have my eye on (including the two you mentioned)

Monday: All Rise, Prodigal Son, Bluff City Law
    Tuesday: Emergence
    Thursday: Stumptown
    Friday: Evil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I tried "All Rise" this morning (first 20 minutes). Very like "For The People" in tone.
    Some of the characters are 2D caricatures (like the sneezy grumpy assistant and the cocky handsome lawyer).

I'll watch the rest tonight and see if the 'case of the week' is interesting enough to warrant another few episodes.

• Advertisement

No hair cut for Jared :p I think Jensen would be better

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Who remembers Spitting Image? Well it seems that at the role old age of 78, the creator has shot a pilot for a new, US centric series, with the aim of pitching it to networks. Wonder if in this era of social media and sports-fan politicking, is there a place for anarchic puppets? :D

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/sep/28/spitting-image-returns-chaotic-times-trump-putin-zuckerberg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's how I knew most British politicians as a kid. I even remember John Major in colour and how he became grey.
    Though by the sound of it they're just gonna go the US mainstream route while I'm sure they would've had some material from Brexit.
    "House of commons, commons of House"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CastorTroy wrote: »
    It's how I knew most British politicians as a kid. I even remember John Major in colour and how he became grey.
    Though by the sound of it they're just gonna go the US mainstream route while I'm sure they would've had some material from Brexit.
    "House of commons, commons of House"

It's fair to suggest that such was Spitting Images reach, it legitimately buried / ruined some British politicians' reputations. The permanently grey John Major being a good example. It was utterly merciless in its pomp, and if that is pilot retains that streak could be a huge viral hit (and an unpopular one among zealots to the Trumpian cause).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Isn't My Cartoon President the same thing? I don't watch but I assume that's the case.
    I remember there was some British 2d show that was compared to Spitting Image a few years back, but can't remember the name

I have found David Simon's next project. https://www.npr.org/2019/10/03/766697025/a-bull-has-an-afternoon-out-in-baltimore
    A 1,600-pound bull ventured on a short-lived quest for freedom Wednesday in West Baltimore, spending about three hours on the loose before finally succumbing to tranquilizers and being put back into the trailer whence he came.

Baltimore police said the report of a loose bull came in about 3:10 p.m.

The bull, a 1-year-old Angus breeder named No. 33, was headed back to a farm in Frederick County when he somehow escaped a trailer at a red light.

"He's a big bull, but he was very agitated," said the bull's owner, Scott Barao of Hedgeapple Farm, which is located near Frederick.

The animal spent some time corralled in a grassy field near Coppin State University. Police blocked off streets while students watched what the university called the bull's "stand-off with authorities."

So over this weekend I learned that in the space of an approximate month there'll be new Expanse, Lost in Space, and the Picard Trek show. Great times to enjoy big production SciFi shows!

Can't wait to see his take on this.

Brendan Gleeson To Play Donald Trump
    Brendan Gleeson has been set to play President Donald Trump opposite Jeff Daniels’ James Comey in the four-hour CBS Studios event miniseries based on the former FBI director’s bestselling book A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies and Leadership. Deadline reported earlier this morning that Daniels will play Comey

https://deadline.com/2019/10/donald-trump-brendan-gleeson-james-comey-miniseries-a-higher-loyalty-cbs-studios-1202753800/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Michael Collins, Winston Churchill and Donald Trump ... Brendan Gleeson has an interesting CV

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    Michael Collins, Winston Churchill and Donald Trump ... Brendan Gleeson has an interesting CV

I know he was in the Michael Collins film, has he also played him?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I know he was in the Michael Collins film, has he also played him?

000ca816-642-642x357.jpg

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0808/807723-brendan-gleeson-is-michael-collins/

https://www.irelandsown.ie/the-treaty-the-forgotten-michael-collins-film/

It was a 1991 TV Drama 'The Treaty', I remember seeing it years ago.

Can't find a clip at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

He has an interesting face :).
    A latecomer to acting, he's certainly a very good actor, without being in the top echelons. However, he's one of my favourite actors; his facial expressions nail emotions and internal conflict whenever called upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Rarely puts a foot wrong. He's in two of my favourite easy watch films, I Went Down and Lake Placid.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was a 1991 TV Drama 'The Treaty', I remember seeing it years ago.
    Can't find a clip at the moment

One of the best dramas RTE have produced I think.

Strangely Brendan Gleeson is listed at the bottom of the credits.

Barry McGovern played de Valera, and Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes played Winston Churchill - back when he played the toff instead of just writing about them...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭trashcan

odyssey06 wrote: »
    One of the best dramas RTE have produced I think.

Strangely Brendan Gleeson is listed at the bottom of the credits.

Barry McGovern played de Valera, and Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes played Winston Churchill - back when he played the toff instead of just writing about them...

Brendan Gleason was terrific as Collins, better than Liam Neeson in my view. I really rate him as an actor. Him as Trump could be interesting. Not sure he could nail the voice though, I've seen him struggle with American accents, the only thing I'd fault him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Damn it lads.

I got an email alert and I saw mention of The Treaty.

I thought it ha finally got a disc or digital release or was at least getting aired again.

:(

Apple as ordered the follow up to Band of Brothers and The Pacific from Hanks and Spielberg called Masters of the Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoyed the Brendan Grace specials on RTE

Never saw the man live but he was a legend and one of those clean comedians who would make a joke out of anything

One of this sons has a very strong American accent?? Did the family live there for a while ?

• Advertisement

Advertisement