Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Haven't watched anything from the Cupertino based company, or much new lately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

West Wing and ER both have live episodes. Has anyone done something similar since? Or are crossovers where the cool kids hang?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

30 Rock and Will and Grace did if I remember right.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Since I only recently watched West Wing for the first time, I remember thinking that episode felt and looked live.
    I won't say it was easy compared to ER as it was basically 2 guys talking the whole time while trying to keep everyone interested, but I remember ER had a lot more action and read cast were rushed between sets

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I also remember one the US studios did a live remake of an old Cold War drama, whose name escapes me. Had an all star cast, George Clooney headlining, with multiple international sets and locations (IIRC, Clooney, playing a pilot, had to run off stage, change quickly into a flight suit then scarper to the "cockpit" set before his next scene started).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

pixelburp wrote: »
    I also remember one the US studios did a live remake of an old Cold War drama, whose name escapes me. Had an all star cast, George Clooney headlining, with multiple international sets and locations (IIRC, Clooney, playing a pilot, had to run off stage, change quickly into a flight suit then scarper to the "cockpit" set before his next scene started).

Fail Safe I didn't see it live but there was a great cast in that other than Clooney, Brian Dennehy, Richard Dreyfuss and James Cromwell.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Since I only recently watched West Wing for the first time, I remember thinking that episode felt and looked live.
    I won't say it was easy compared to ER as it was basically 2 guys talking the whole time while trying to keep everyone interested, but I remember ER had a lot more action and read cast were rushed between sets

I was listening to the West Wing Weekly podcast and they had Jimmy Smits on to discuss the election episode, part 2. I was more active posting elsewhere back in the day and don't remember my reaction to it. John Spencer was only 58 when he passed away. I'm not sure I've ever seen the ER one in full. It's on the RTE Player, episode 4.01. Directed by Thomas Schlamme, I'm not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

RTÉ ran a TV spot for the cinema release of Toy Story 4 a few minutes ago.:confused:

One of the Murdoch's just bought the Beverly Hillbillies Mansion for $150m making it the second most expensive property ever sold in America.

It was up for sale at $350m two years ago so nice deal for him.

Spending some of that Disney & Comcast money they got for selling Fox and Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So many TV Shows!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

The HBO machine keeps on giving.

The sound of quality:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, I've never even heard of half these shows; Succession seems to be the latest one people online won't STFU about - meant in a non judgy way mind.

Man, I've never even heard of half these shows; Succession seems to be the latest one people online won't STFU about - meant in a non judgy way mind.

Didn't try this til recently, coz it just sounded so negative; the family you love to hate etc. On episode 8 now- hooked. The stories are great, and the dialogue fizzes. Really great theme tune as well.

Surivor and #MeToo

I'm shocked, shocked that CBS don't seem to have a clue how to deal with this stuff. Cough.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/12/arts/television/survivor-dan-spilo.html

Anagrams can be interesting, but can be very interesting when made visually clever in film posters:

498050.jpg

Here's another clever one, on a bookcover for a film that was supposed to be done by Ron Howard, but hasn't materialised yet:

498051.jpg

Playing with visuals like that is cool. Both make a clever but meaningful/meta twist to their anagrams.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cant stand Demi Isaac Oviawe from the young offenders

She must be dim or just never gets out of her character

I'm not going to post the video as he will make money off the clicks however Kevin Spacey is at it again doing his Frank Underwood bit he just needs to go away.

• Advertisement

Anagrams can be interesting, but can be very interesting when made visually clever in film posters:

498050.jpg

Here's another clever one, on a bookcover for a film that was supposed to be done by Ron Howard, but hasn't materialised yet:

498051.jpg

Playing with visuals like that is cool. Both make a clever but meaningful/meta twist to their anagrams.

Anagram? Oops. Meant to say palindrome. D'oh!

re Neal Stephenson, his cyberpunk novel 'Snow Crash', often seen as 'impossible to adapt' as a film, is set to be developed as a tv series by HBO:

https://deadline.com/2019/12/snow-crash-sci-fi-drama-series-hbo-max-michael-bacall-joe-cornish-paramount-tv-1202809103/

Out of curiosity, as I've never read his work, but why is it considered impossible to adapt?

Out of curiosity, as I've never read his work, but why is it considered impossible to adapt?

Numerous attempts at adapting were tried:
    From 2012:
    https://uproxx.com/viral/snow-crash-supposedly-getting-a-film-adaptation/
    "Back when Neal Stephenson wrote books instead of lengthy dissertations that you had to hack the novel out of with a machete (that is, the early ’90s), he wrote a book called “Snow Crash”. And people have been trying to adapt it to various media ever since, with zero success.

The claims that it’s impossible to adapt the book are patently not true: it’d just take a lot of money. And now, thankfully, Hollywood has gotten desperate enough to A) consider adapting books that audiences might remotely recognize and B) actually throw some money at them.

Hence, the word is that Joe Cornish of “Attack the Block” is writing and directing a “Snow Crash” adaptation.

True, this is Hollywood; we’ll believe the movie’s coming when Cornish announces he’s locked in a cut."

My favourite novel; I've read it 3 times, doesn't seem impossible to adapt to me, with the right director and with cgi technology levels now ; lots of avatar scenes (a word which Stephenson didn't dream up, but popularised) that might not have translated to screen very well in the past, but wouldn't be a problem now. The multiple strands in the story make it more suitable for long form, as well as the fact that: "Snow Crash is a science fiction novel by American writer Neal Stephenson, published in 1992. Like many of Stephenson's other novels, it covers history, linguistics, anthropology, archaeology, religion, computer science, politics, cryptography, memetics and philosophy." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Crash
    There's a lot in it: interesting to read, but would come across like Dan Brown powerpoint style stuff in a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Happy Christmas, TV fans. Hope you're having a good one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Mr E wrote: »
    Happy Christmas, TV fans. Hope you're having a good one! :)

You too Mr E. Christmas TV not great this year, looking forward to the Gavin and Stacey special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Is there or was there a big fat quiz of the year this year? I didn't see any advertisement for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is there or was there a big fat quiz of the year this year? I didn't see any advertisement for one.
    Yeah, was advertising close to airing.

Was on St Stephens Night.. watched it earlier. Not close to being as good as it was in it's prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I liked the line up. Take out that Asim guy and put in David Mitchell and personally I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I liked the line up. Take out that Asim guy and put in David Mitchell and personally I'd be happy.
    Maya Jama didn't add much either tbf..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

From the bit I saw, it feels like Jimmy and the guests are bored of the format and just waiting for somebody to cone up with a better idea. Most of the tone they seemed barely engaged and just waiting for their paycheck

Advertisement