Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Am I the only one who is actually relieved at this time of year due to having a lot less to watch with all the shows finishing up? It's pretty much like "Ah now I have to wait 3 months, combined with "Woohoo, one less show to watch"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is actually relieved at this time of year due to having a lot less to watch with all the shows finishing up? It's pretty much like "Ah now I have to wait 3 months, combined with "Woohoo, one less show to watch"

No you're not alone, I'm like that as well. Of course I do have a couple of summer shows, but only a handful compared to the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, same. A bit of breathing room to catch up on other shows.

Yeah that's the funny thing. You think you have free time then decided to start watching every episode of Neighbours. :)

I'm down to less shows a week now: Scream, Person of Interest, Angie Tribeca (June 6th), Mr Robot (July 8th), Outcast, Game of Thrones, Preacher

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nearly got finished but then found a thread with loads more good shows.

Sigh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, just The Americans to finish in 2 weeks, then a summer lull. Will finish Bloodline s2, 11.22.63, Mr Robot s1 and something I'm forgetting.

I've not caught up Brendan O' Connor's new show. I'd be quite interested if RTE had something like Bill Maher's programme. Not particularly for his type of politics, but just to cut through some of the debates and media nonsense.

Making good progress clearing the decks on shows that I hadn't finished. Finished Survivor, The 100 and last year's Homeland in the last week.

Tyrant next I think.....

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have been rewatching Strike Back over the last few weeks since the end of Banshee I needed that Cinemax fix and I think it's better second time around the partnership between Stonebridge & Scott is so good but what I missed the first time round was just how badass the women on the show were.

Also from a guys point of view there were some seriously hot Irish women on the show.

Found a fun show on USA called First Impressions. Great fun if you like celeb impressions + improv.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement

NOT NETFLIX. They're Flitne and Flixtix. That person is in for a shock. Probably I Love Lucy reruns and some Leave it to Mrs. O'Brien. Some Garda Patrol if they're lucky. Veh-icles.

I know Netflix still do DVD's in the States but you would think in this day and age Netflix would be able to set up screener accounts for streaming episodes to give to Journo's and others who will promo there stuff instead of sending out hard copies.

If you Google Netflix FYC you'll find https://fyc.netflix.com/

Pricey in hard copy.
    Those boxes cost roughly $1 million dollars to produce, package and ship to the Academy’s more than 19,000 members. Estimates from awards-season marketers pegged the cost of Netflix’s mail campaign between $2.5 million and $4 million.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/netflix-emmy-mailer-20-pound-120178952

Fuller House on Netflix maybe the most watched show on any platform in America I read yesterday.

Mr E wrote: »
    Found a fun show on USA called First Impressions. Great fun if you like celeb impressions + improv.

Just watched the first episode. Nice quirky little show. Cheers for the recommendation.

The second one was better... stick with it. :)

Finally went back to watching House. Had never seen it before so started watching on Sky until they went back to season 1 after they finished season 5 a while ago. So I'm now watching the rest of it. Halfway through season 6

Season 6 is about the last good one. They don't allow the characters to grow much more after that, imo. The s6 finale is great, though.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/742403329326620672

He was 2 feet 9 inches tall and got in costume where full body shots were needed of Alf.

RIP.

Never realised that they actually ever had someone in an ALF suit, I had always assumed they just used strings when they needed a full body shot of ALF. Must pay close attention next time I throw on an episode.

RIP

• Advertisement

Have to laugh (and/or be annoyed) at some tweets on that stream. For example:

100 Americans murdered or maimed in FLA and @ABC news focuses on "Alf"'s passing. Great editorial judgement.

Dingbat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I hadn't seen this until yesterday, I liked it :)

Paul Rudd, Conan O'Brien, Mac and Me.

http://www.avclub.com/article/once-again-paul-rudd-managed-get-mac-and-me-over-c-222478

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Ah yes, that's a classic!

It's missing the most recent "Ant-Man clip" though..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

If you listen to Simon Mayo's interview with Rudd and Chris Evans for Civil War, Evans didn't know about this and a fair bit of the interview is spent with Rudd explaining it to him.

Its starts at about 10:30

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

:D

Imagine being the plugger trying to get publicity for Civil War afterwards

"Paul, Chris ... for the next round of interviews could we please try to promote the Movie when is going on release next week, which you are being paid to promote, and have less discussion of f***ing Mac and Me, because that's the only thing the listeners will be googling after your chat with Mr. Mayo :mad:"

Hulu won't be renewing it's next day deal with CW for any of it's shows when it's contract runs out later this year.

Big blow for Hulu viewers.

Do most of you here primarily stream these days, or do you still chase after the odd boxed set? Feels like a long time since I opened the DVD tray for anything.

@TBO - haven't watched a DVD for a long time.

Was doing some work downstairs last night (with real TV on) and ended up watching 3 CSI episodes back to back (there was nothing else good on).

I feel unclean.

Ads are still really terrible.

Apart from those episodes and the Irish matches, I don't think I've watched any other realtime TV in months (on my own TV). TV will be a completely different landscape in 10 years. It will need to be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Same here. I put on the match yesterday and just couldn't get over how bad the ads were. No subtlety or humour at all in them and so LouD... The kids had basically never seen ads before.

Advertisement