Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Why do they have a live microphone on the RTE News signor?

I got a good laugh out of this guy adding his own sound effects:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As a fan of Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies and Hannibal, I was looking at what Bryan Fuller ha coming next and for some reason he seems to have nothing in the works that I can find, even though Hannibal finished in 2015.
    Actually he was involved in the first seasons of Star Trek Discovery and American Gods. So only a couple years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Finch and his machine are working overtime in DC at the moment.

pFkSgRq.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Finch and his machine are working overtime in DC at the moment.

How many will get that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

fritzelly wrote: »
    How many will get that?

Not me

The Machine should've picked up on what was happening. I guess there wasn't much that could be done when it threw up Trump's SSN. They could've enlisted Jack Bauer then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thing is, was it Samaritan that caused the riots in the first place? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

CastorTroy wrote: »
    As a fan of Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies and Hannibal, I was looking at what Bryan Fuller ha coming next and for some reason he seems to have nothing in the works that I can find, even though Hannibal finished in 2015.
    Actually he was involved in the first seasons of Star Trek Discovery and American Gods. So only a couple years ago.

Aside from Hannibal, hasn't he jumped ship on most of those? 'Creative differences', no doubt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, Fuller has left too many productions at this stage to be mere coincidence; he seems to have a blindspot when it comes to working with a production or studio. He'll eventually run out of road and patience IMO. I had forgotten he was the original man meant to helm Star Trek Discovery; I'd love to know what he had in mind, against what we have got in reality since then.

• Advertisement

Maybe he wasn't as willing to focus so much on Burnham?
    He did comment on his mirror universe plans
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/bryan-fuller-star-trek-discovery-mirror-universe
    And having a quick Google, it seems CBS weren't too willing to go with his idea of making a Trek anthology series. And he was busy with American Gods

I guess the fact the shows where he's given creative control get cancelled probably doesn't help his cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭trashcan

Over the years I have noticed that a lot of Yanks cannot tell the difference between a TV show ending and being cancelled.

Can someone please tell me if the following Netflix shows ended this a conclusion to the story or were cancelled and the story left hanging...

Narcos

Narcos had a proper ending and wasn’t left hanging. Which is not to say they couldn’t do more, like the way they moved from the Colombian cartels to the Mexicans. Great series anyway. Would be at least in my top five of all time, in fact it may be second only to The Wire for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jaded Walker

I'd like to.throw up one show that not enough people have watched, it's called Spotless.
    Unfortunately there's only one season but it's so well.put together. It's got such great acting, thriller with very tense moments, some very good comedy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Watching, I'm Mike Murphy from rte, on now. Haven't laughed so much in ages. The wind ups were hilarious. Mike was excellent in this format, the best in fact imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

gigantic09 wrote: »
    Watching, I'm Mike Murphy from rte, on now. Haven't laughed so much in ages. The wind ups were hilarious. Mike was excellent in this format, the best in fact imo.

It was very good but was mystified as to why it so heavily featured PJ Gallagher. I know mike mentioned him towards the end but he has to be one of the unfunniest people ever! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭gigantic09

bfa1509 wrote: »
    It was very good but was mystified as to why it so heavily featured PJ Gallagher. I know mike mentioned him towards the end but he has to be one of the unfunniest people ever! :confused:

I thought Fran Dempsey would have had more to say but he seemed reluctant to be there at all, They seemed to have great craic filming the series, alot of make it up as you go along stuff.
    It was a more innocent time I suppose and people seemed less cynical than they are today, so the premise worked brilliantly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I was finally getting around to watching It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and the Netflix synopsis says “some episodes are not available”.

I Googled and can only find mention of one episode being removed last summer because of “blackface”.

I figured it would be easy enough to find when get to that point in the show but there are more episodes than that missing.

Why are they not available? And is there anywhere else to stream the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I was finally getting around to watching It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and the Netflix synopsis says “some episodes are not available”.

I Googled and can only find mention of one episode being removed last summer because of “blackface”.

I figured it would be easy enough to find when get to that point in the show but there are more episodes than that missing.

Why are they not available? And is there anywhere else to stream the show?

Five episodes were removed because of the whole racism thing. The ones with Dee dressing as Martina Martinez and Taiwan Tammy,Lethal Weapon 5,Lethal Weapon 6 and the one were Dee forced Frank and Mac to dress as Martina Martinez and Taiwan Tammy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Five episodes were removed because of the whole racism thing. The ones with Dee dressing as Martina Martinez and Taiwan Tammy,Lethal Weapon 5,Lethal Weapon 6 and the one were Dee forced Frank and Mac to dress as Martina Martinez and Taiwan Tammy

I counted six missing earlier though I could be wrong.

Is there anywhere else to get the full series or those episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The WWE has signed a multi-year deal with NBCUniveral’s Peacock that will bring exclusive U.S. rights to the WWE Network to the streaming service.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/peacock-adds-wrestling-in-wwe-network-streaming-exclusive-1234679617/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Babylon 5 forum has been archived so I can't post this there.

HBO Max have added J. Michael Straczynski's masterpiece in story telling in remastered HD.

I think this is the first time a streaming network has ever aired Babylon 5 in any form.

For those that don't know it Babylon 5 for me is the best sci-fi show of all time and it was the first series in any genre to really use the book format of each episode being a chapter and the whole story being told over 5 seasons.

I would go so far as to say it saved the Star Trek TV franchise as Deep Space Nine was basically a rip off of Babylon 5 and moved Star Trek away from spaceship story telling and allowed it to have a hard edge in story telling.

I counted six missing earlier though I could be wrong.

Is there anywhere else to get the full series or those episodes?

I thought it was five but could be six. You should be able to find them online somewhere. I see that one of the episodes of the office was edited, the one where Nate has his face painted black

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I enjoyed this deep dive into the history of gunge and gunge tanks on British Television more than I would have expected

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akdazj/history-of-gunge-on-british-tv

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Watched Resident Alien this evening. The trailers made it out to be more light hearted than it is, not aware of the source material so it took me slightly by surprise. It's still a comedy but definite black edge to it as first couple of minutes and last couple of minutes highlight.

I like Alan Tudyk so I'll stick with it anyway.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thought it pretty funny but dark funny - surprised it came from SyFy

I thought it was be awful to be honest, didn't find it that funny but a few laughs. I'll definitely watch it again

fritzelly wrote: »
    Thought it pretty funny but dark funny - surprised it came from SyFy

Sounds like Happy! Still need to watch Resident Alien

I snarked about it in the actual thread, but I just ain't touching any SyFy shows until I know they haven't been cancelled after 1 season. It's a given with me for any network, but goes double with SyFy given their propensity for giving shows the premature axe. This is the channel whose brain-trust cancelled The Expanse after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

pixelburp wrote: »
    I snarked about it in the actual thread, but I just ain't touching any SyFy shows until I know they haven't been cancelled after 1 season. It's a given with me for any network, but goes double with SyFy given their propensity for giving shows the premature axe. This is the channel whose brain-trust cancelled The Expanse after all...

Yeah , feel the same when it comes to Syfy. They have cancelled some great shows over the years and quality has definitely declined. Only shows I have watch there is Van Helsing and Wynona Earp

• Advertisement

Yeah , feel the same when it comes to Syfy. They have cancelled some great shows over the years and quality has definitely declined. Only shows I have watch there is Van Helsing and Wynona Earp

I've actually wondered if they might be the first "big" casualty of a traditional network hitting the wall in the Era of Streaming; their original programming is so thin these days and what is produced, gets cancelled. Not just their low-rent stuff like Vagrant Queen but big swings like Happy!, The Expanse or Deadly Class.

Nor is Sci-Fi such a niche market they naturally occupy anymore; with every network producing their own SciFi shows as the genre is well-established and "mainstream" these days. SyFy feels weirdly redundant in an era when HBO produce GoT or Westworld as part of their normal programming. SyFy are getting squeezed out of their own market these days, and don't have the resources to compete either.

Advertisement