Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Remember when they rebranded with the plan to focus more on stuff like non scripted shows and move away from sci-fi only

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've actually wondered if they might be the first "big" casualty of a traditional network hitting the wall in the Era of Streaming; their original programming is so thin these days and what is produced, gets cancelled. Not just their low-rent stuff like Vagrant Queen but big swings like Happy!, The Expanse or Deadly Class.

Nor is Sci-Fi such a niche market they naturally occupy anymore; with every network producing their own SciFi shows as the genre is well-established and "mainstream" these days. SyFy feels weirdly redundant in an era when HBO produce GoT or Westworld as part of their normal programming. SyFy are getting squeezed out of their own market these days, and don't have the resources to compete either.

Yeah I can definitely see Syfy and maybe other cable networks like the CW disappearing in the next year or so with how the streamers like Netflix, HBO Max, Peacock developing high budget shows. Van Helsing is ending this season and Wynona Earp could go either way. For some of these networks they also shopped their shows to Netflix and the like for international viewers. The CW used to have their shows air here on Netflix but that's gone now since they just get put on HBO Max. Deadly Class was wasted in SyFy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thought Van Helsing had been cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

fritzelly wrote: »
    Thought Van Helsing had been cancelled
    It was renewed for a fifth and final season in December 2019. They were supposed to start production in January last year so no idea how far they got before lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Remember when they rebranded with the plan to focus more on stuff like non scripted shows and move away from sci-fi only

So they will be to sci-fi what MTV is to music...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CastorTroy wrote: »

Isn't their daily programming already bolstered by wrestling and "ghost hunter" shows anyway? And of course, you got those god-awful Asylum flicks; sometimes I felt like the only person not "in" on the hilariousness of "Sharknado". Presumably, those are the things keeping the lights on 'cos it's hard to imagine it's the original TV series.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,120 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Top Gear America with Dax Shepard (Parenthood), Rob Corddry (The Unicorn) and MotorTrend’s Jethro Bovingdon as presenters starting in the States tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Yeah I can definitely see Syfy and maybe other cable networks like the CW disappearing in the next year or so with how the streamers like Netflix, HBO Max, Peacock developing high budget shows. Van Helsing is ending this season and Wynona Earp could go either way. For some of these networks they also shopped their shows to Netflix and the like for international viewers. The CW used to have their shows air here on Netflix but that's gone now since they just get put on HBO Max. Deadly Class was wasted in SyFy

Riverdale and Black Lightning are the only CW shows that run on Netflix here.

Are we even getting HBOMax?

• Administrators Posts: 53,730 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Riverdale and Black Lightning are the only CW shows that run on Netflix here.

Are we even getting HBOMax?

I think Sky have an exclusive deal with HBO for their own programmes for 3 or 4 more years so I doubt they'd launch Max until that's over.

On another topic, does anyone know if there is a way to view Homeland season 8 in Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I watched an episode of Star Trek called The Naked Time from the original series last night. Some of the crew go to a planet, one gets infected - this comes back onto the ship, then people start to go a bit loopy. Watching it through a 2021 lens is a little odd to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

For three weeks in a row, RTE have advertised the Michael Portillo travel programme as dealing with Mass., etc on East coast of US but have shown a series set in California. On Saturday night, the continuity announcer even introduced it as the advertised version. She obviously doesn't watch what she introduces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

crossman47 wrote: »
    She obviously doesn't watch what she introduces.

Maybe she does but at that stage it's too late.

I wouldn't expect a continuity announcer to preview programmes they introduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

crossman47 wrote: »
    For three weeks in a row, RTE have advertised the Michael Portillo travel programme as dealing with Mass., etc on East coast of US but have shown a series set in California. On Saturday night, the continuity announcer even introduced it as the advertised version. She obviously doesn't watch what she introduces.

He/she are given a script. They don’t decide what to say or have to watch the programmes.

I’m interested to hear what Gellar has to say.

I’m interested to hear what Gellar has to say.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLH4s_WjfZF/

Sorry I should have been more clear.

I meant what she had to say about the whole thing. Her opinions at the time the show was in production, what she knew, etc.

I’m not accusing her of anything, just I have a memory around the time of Angel being made hearing (I could be greatly misremembering) that Gellar had a lot of power in the production. Even over the use of characters between the shows and use of the likeness of of all the cast in making action figures.

I could be way off on that.

I’m just curious whether it happened to her or whether she was at any point in a position to do something to stop it.

Based on that message it seems like no it didn’t happen to her but it is is also difficult to judge what she knew at the time or if she simply not wanting to put herself in the centre of it rather that the victims.

I’m still a bit confused about what happened on Justice League. Gadot had issues with Whedon and dealt with him face to face. And she moved on.

Fisher appears to be traumisted by it but it is unclear who was on the receiving on end of the abuse? Just Fisher or a lot of people?

And how was Geoff Johns able to survive this? Does he have so much power over DC that WB have no choice but to shield him?

Is there any news yet on if or when we are getting Paramount+ here in Ireland?

Anyone else get the Disney+ email with the “full list@ of Stars Originals.

Is that all the adult content we getting?

• Advertisement

As expected we won't be getting HBO Max anytime soon.
    WarnerMedia plans to light up streaming service HBO Max in 39 territories across Latin America and the Caribbean in late June, marking the first international presence for the streaming service.

When European territories like Spain, Portugal, Central Europe and the Nordics join the footprint later this year, WarnerMedia expects HBO Max to be operating in more than 50 countries globally by the end of 2021. In some key markets such as the UK, HBO has long-term distribution deals with Sky and other partners that preclude the launch of HBO Max.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/hbo-max-sets-latin-america-launch-plans-hbo-go-1234692103/

So does Sky have a hold on every HBO show?

Even future projects?

Will WB stuff that isn’t HBO continue on Prime and Netflix?

Is it possible on AppleTV to disable or skip the promo videos that appear before episodes and movies on Prime Video?

I used to hit menu and return to the episode selection and restart and the promos would not play but that doesn’t work now.

There seems to be some talk of a merger between NBCUniversal and WarnerMedia to try and compete with Disney and the other streaming giants.

There seems to be some talk of a merger between NBCUniversal and WarnerMedia to try and compete with Disney and the other streaming giants.

So even more content on HBOMax that we won’t be able to see?

Sky’s deal is about HBO stuff. Couldn’t Warner Bros. launch HBOMax just without the content that Sky has rights to?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Leah Cairns' cancer is in remission, thankfully.

So even more content on HBOMax that we won’t be able to see?

Sky’s deal is about HBO stuff. Couldn’t Warner Bros. launch HBOMax just without the content that Sky has rights to?

NBCUniversal is owned by Comcast who own Sky.

I doubt a merger would be allowed to happen anyway

Leah Cairns' cancer is in remission, thankfully.

https://twitter.com/LeahCairns/status/1359233272639746052?s=20

David Boreanaz & Amy Acker have both come out in support of Charisma Carpenter

Edit, As does Eliza Dushku

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLLQW6cJ2gF/

• Advertisement

Apple TV+ could be banned in the EU as the EU requires 30% European made content on the service.

Disney have named 10 EU shows being made to bulk up there content.

France

Parallels — Disney+
    Marianne creator Quoc Dang Tran and Anastasia Heinzl write this six-part fantasy adventure series, which follows four teenagers whose lives are turned upside down when a mysterious event propels them into parallel dimensions. Produced by Empreinte Digitale and Dang Trang’s Daïmôn Films, filming is underway on the series, which is billed as a witty romp for a family audience.

Oussekine — Star
    This four-part limited series explores the terrible true events of December 5, 1986, which led to the death of a young student, Malik Oussekine. The show is anchored by his family’s fight for justice and the impact his death had on French society. Oussekine is created and directed by Antoine Chevrollier (Baron Noir) and co-written by Faïza Guène, Julien Lilti, and Cédric Ido. It is housed at Itinéraire Productions.

Weekend Family — Disney+
    Created by Baptiste Filleul (La Foret), this eight-part comedy chronicles the life of a new stepfamily that meets up every weekend. But when the father gets into a relationship with a new partner, the weekends take on a whole different turn. Elephant Groupe produces, while the writers include Nour Bensalem, Géraldine de Margerie, Julie-Anna Grignon, Marion Carnel, and Paul Madillo.

Soprano: Sing or Die — Star

Access documentary on French rapper, singer, and songwriter, Soprano. The six-part series follows him as he prepares for a 2022 stadium tour, as well as tracing his story from humble beginnings in Marseilles to present-day success. Breath Films is the producer.

Italy

The Good Mothers — Star
    House Productions and Fremantle-owned Wildside produce this six-part series, which tells the true story of how three courageous women inside the notorious Calabrian ‘Ndrangheta mafia worked with newly-minted female prosecutor, Alessandra Cerreti, to bring down down the criminal empire. Based on a book of the same name by Alex Perry, the series is written by BAFTA-winning Baghdad Central and The Last Kingdom scribe Stephen Butchard. Executive producers are Juliette Howell and Tessa Ross for House Productions, and Mario Gianani and Lorenzo Gangarossa for Wildside.

The Ignorant Angels — Star
    An eight-part romantic drama inspired by the 2001 Italian box office hit Le Fate Ignoranti. Turkish-Italian director Ferzan Ozpetek’s revisits his feature for the series, which follows Antonia, who discovers that her husband had a same-sex affair before he was killed in a car accident. She’s devastated at the news, but the straight-laced Antonia finds herself building an unexpected and moving friendship with her husband’s former lover, Michele, and his circle of misfit eccentrics. R&C Productions is producing.

Boris — Star
    A new season of Fox Networks Group’s show-within-a-show series, Boris. Produced by Fremantle-backed The Apartment, the original show followed the behind-the-scenes world of a low-budget medical drama series. In the new six-part season for Star, the hapless crew will reunite to produce a show for a global streaming platform. Boris previously ran for three seasons and a film

Germany

Sam – A Saxon — Star
    Created by Deutschland 83 creator Jörg Winger, the eight-part series tells the real-life story of Samuel Meffire, East Germany’s first black police officer. The series shows how Meffire became a media sensation and a symbol of modern society in the post-reunification 1990s. But just a few years later, he ended up behind bars himself. It is made through Winger’s new production company Big Window Productions.

Sultan City — Star
    A dark comedy thriller from up-and-coming producers Ayla Gottschlich and Aysel Yilmaz, and head writer Ipek Zübert. It centers on the respectable matriarch of a German-Turkish family who accidentally becomes the head of a criminal underworld, and discovers she and her daughters have a talent for the business. Two Moons Pictures produces.

The Netherlands

Feyenoord Rotterdam — Star
    Eight-part series going behind the scenes of Dutch soccer club Feyenoord Rotterdam. Produced by Lusus Media, the series also follows Feyenoord’s fanbase, reflecting on the team’s history, which is filled with both melancholy and pride. It is the first time a TV series has captured the inner workings of a Dutch soccer club.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/disney-european-originals-star-1234693868/

Advertisement