Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mr E wrote: »
    TV will be a completely different landscape in 10 years. It will need to be.

As in, "fluid viewing", which Sky are on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Dunno.... a combination of Saorview, Netflix and an android box are doing the job for me.

I don't need to give Rupert Murdoch €50+ a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Doge

Is Parks and Rec a bit of a slow burner lads?

5 episodes in now and theres just the odd laugh, but theres not much else at rhe moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Doge wrote: »
    Is Parks and Rec a bit of a slow burner lads?

5 episodes in now and theres just the odd laugh, but theres not much else at rhe moment.

First season is pretty bad (thankfully it's only 6 episodes). It really gets a lot better from Season 2 onwards and the episodes get better as the series goes on. Stick with it - you've already gotten through the hardest part...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Doge

Thanks for the feedback, sounds more promising so!

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, sounds more promising so!

First season aside, it's one of the best sitcoms ever made. Ron Swanson is a true legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Online TV subforum? Any need for the separation? Or at least a more visible spot than the my little pony forum.

Not the worst idea in the world, bur. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Something for Supernatural fans. A few years old, but I wasn't aware of it until recently. :pac:

I think I've mentioned before that I suspected The CW renewing almost entire roster this season had a lot to do with how it performs on Netflix and this new deal between The CW and Netflix all but confirms that...

http://renewcanceltv.com/netflix-cw-tv-shows-streaming-deal-2016/

As a fan of CW's current line-up, this definitely seems like good news as it decreases the chances of shows getting cancelled purely based on their broadcast ratings and really seems like The CW have their finger on the pulse and will be taking the Netflix performance into account.

Hopefully the new deal will also impact other Netflix regions where possible.

• Advertisement

Cast my net wider this year , haven't bothered with much of the summer filler or new shows in a few years.

So far checked out The Detour (enjoyed immensely) , American Gothic (2 in and it's not bad) , Dead of Summer (also 2 in and surprised me), Wayward Pines is a returner from last year and not liking it, and also Between is pretty bad in season 2 so far have the last 3/6 to watch but don't think I'll bother.

Another 3 that caught my eye were Animal Kingdom and The Kettering Incident and Guilt. Can anyone vouch for any of those?

How long have Comedy Central UK been airing @midnight?

Series Linked

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Series Linked
    Never heard of it.. having looked it up, it sounds promising!

But I've a love-hate relationship with Chris Hardwick in that I love to hate his stupid face and zero personality!

Basq wrote: »

But I've a love-hate relationship with Chris Hardwick in that I love to hate his stupid face and zero personality!

I used to watch it online - it's good craic depending on what guests or on any given night. Having done a quick google it only started airing on Comedy Central UK about 4 weeks ago (a night after it airs stateside), but it's been going on Comedy Central US for a few years now. It's on 4 nights a week and worth checking out (and if you haven't already guessed, it airs at midnight)... ;)

Series Linked
    Basq wrote: »

I used to watch it online - it's good craic depending on what guests or on any given night. Having done a quick google it only started airing on Comedy Central UK about 4 weeks ago (a night after it airs stateside), but it's been going on Comedy Central US for a few years now. It's on 4 nights a week and worth checking out (and if you haven't already guessed, it airs at midnight)... ;)

The episode that aired tonight was a poor example of what the show can be, but the next episode has the lads from Silicon Valley, so that should be a good one (even though it's a repeat because the current series is on a break for a week or two)... That's on Tuesday night (or is it Wednesday - the midnight thing confuses me, Tuesday going into Wednesday you know what I mean...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Is this a Bourne film without Matt Damon? A prequel or a sequel?
    I'm confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

tampopo wrote: »
    Is this a Bourne film without Matt Damon? A prequel or a sequel?
    I'm confused...

It's a sequel

What the hell did I just watch? Equal opportunity offending... OFFEND EVERYONE!

Watch 1.01 of American Odyssey on Netflix. Had forgotten it was an NBC production, hence the mid-brow feel. Friel's situation reminds me of something only I can't think what. The whole 'my teammates have been killed, by my own side', thing. The Time journalist was shady from the get go. The
    death of the UAV/Air Force guy
    felt similar to the episode of Stargate SG1 episode where
    a reporter was bumped off for sniffing around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Random appearances on Angie Tribeca this week. Set in hospital and had 2 ER stars
    Eriq La Salle and Noah Wyle
    . The show itself is okay but I do like the guest stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I just finished Third Rock From The Sun on Netflix, I'd only ever seen bits and pieces. It's not great but it's enjoyable and John Lithgow is clearly having a ball.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I just finished Third Rock From The Sun on Netflix, I'd only ever seen bits and pieces. It's not great but it's enjoyable and John Lithgow is clearly having a ball.

Re-watched it all a few years ago, it can be a bit hit and miss at times, but when it gets it right, it's great. I'll always love it for the nostalgia factor though.

This article may or may not affect a few people here. :o
    The feds continue to play whack-a-mole with Torrent sites and Kickass is the latest casualty.

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/feds-bust-kickass-torrents-piracy-arrest-1201818775/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Busted because he bought something legally on iTunes! The irony...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

How did they get the iTunes IP?

Facebook gave them all the IPs for the kickass Facebook page logins and then they went over to iTunes and...what?

Here’s a tip: If you happen to find yourself at the helm of a gigantic illegal torrenting operation, don’t use an Apple email, and for the love of all that is holy do not use Facebook.

Unfortunately for 30-year-old Artem Vaulin, he made this very mistake while allegedly operating Kickass Torrents, a popular source for links to torrent files, which can be used to illegally download music, movies, and TV shows. Apple and Facebook have no qualms turning over information like IP addresses and purchase history when presented with a warrant, and the information these companies turned over to US investigators helped catch Vaulin.

This was a truly imprudent move by Vaulin, and one he could have easily avoided. By utilizing one of the many darknet services that allow you to have what is essentially a disposable email, Vaulin could have avoided being behind bars.

As we learn from the criminal complaint against Vaulin, authorities were able to catch him just by chasing his IP address. Let’s walk through Vaulin’s many apparent f**k ups. First, for whatever reason, this guy was operating a Kickass Torrents Facebook fan page. Probably for promotional purposes, sure, but a bonehead move nonetheless. This is almost incomprehensibly misguided if you are operating an illegal enterprise. By doing this, Vaulin was essentially handing over all of his Facebook-related data to US investigators. When the US government came to Facebook with a warrant for the Kickass Torrents fan page, Facebook handed over the log data (as it should) and revealed that Vaulin was using an @me.com email address to sign into Facebook. Who owns me.com? Apple.

Next, Authorities went to Apple and said, essentially, turn over all the data you have on tirm@me.com, Vaulin’s email account. This is where Vaulin continued his string of devastating screw ups.

Vaulin used his @me.com email address to make an iTunes purchase. Well, luckily for US investigators, every time you make an iTunes purchase, your IP address is recorded. The authorities then used these IP addressed they gathered to determine Vaulin’s online bitcoin account.

Authorities were also able to determine that Vaulin’s @me.com email account was receiving alerts relating to administration tasks on the Kickass Torrents. Another sloppy decision in a string of lazy and careless decisions that ultimately led to his downfall. It’s almost like when Silk Road founder and operator Ross Ulbricht used his real name to ask questions about Tor hidden services on Stack Overflow. A stupid mistake that helped authorities put him in prison for life.

All of these careless mistakes eventually helped US investigators catch Vaulin. It’s funny how the people who run massive illegal online operations seem to care very little about operational security.

Full article:
    http://gizmodo.com/the-colossal-screwups-that-got-the-kickass-torrents-own-1784033848

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Mr E wrote: »

Jaysus!

Theirs a huge multi-part article on the fall/mistakes of silk road out there, good read (I on phone) and you can see how they could all happen (building a business mistakes).

But this.... jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was wondering what was with kickass last nigh...... I mean I didn't even know that site existed.

Finished House last night. Next up is Stranger Things. Though may catch up on Punisher and Outcast or finish Monk. Too much!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, I thought summer would be calmer but I only went and got a taste for Walter's presentations and I'm worse off than ever.

I kid, I'm enjoying TV immensely at the moment.

Advertisement