Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I wonder

The producers are going to try sell it elsewhere so whatever the reason Netflix don’t want it, they clearly have faith in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Thread started a little while ago, giving the reasons for it in the first post; should it be a sticky for the queries stated? Obviously, as a thread, it drops out of sight, so these type of queries would tend to get posted in dedicated threads, in the first instance, if you happen to know the broadcast platform. Could this be used as a first port of call in Television (General) as a sticky do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sad news.

However on bright spot she will return to the MCU in Agatha: Coven of Chais

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

The feature has already been rolled out in Argentina, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras.

In the previous scheme, titled 'add a home', which launched in August, there was one home per account, which means that each Netflix account, regardless of the payment plan, included one home where users could stream Netflix on any of their devices.

There was also the option to 'buy additional homes'.

The streaming service has yet to announce how much it will charge customers for the ‘extra user’ service - but if it’s anything like the pilot scheme in Latin America, it will follow a ‘one quarter of the basic rate’ ideology.

Though it's not set in stone, it would work out to around £1.75 extra per month ($3-4 in the US).

Netflix is losing the plot here. Plan seems to be (for example) they want anyone who is sharing 1 screen off a 4k plan to go and buy their own subscription. Netflix get more money and a reduction in bandwidth usage. If this comes in I really think it will be the end of Netflix. Their content is poor enough as it is. Lot more misses than hits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I just got the email from them about the profile transfer and how to opt out.

Not sure why you have to turn it on or off. Maybe it stores the info somewhere and keeps backing it up? So if you opt out they don't store the info elsewhere?

From reading the FAQs it seems anyone with access to a sub can transfer any of the profiles to a new sub.

I could be reading it wrong but sounds like anyone with the sub password can move any or indeed all profiles if they like so lets say a couple on a 2 screen sub break up. The person who pays for the account can disable the feature so the freeloader cant act the maggot and transfer both accounts erasing the other persons watch history.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

BBC developing a series based on the Boiling Point film. https://twitter.com/bbcpress/status/1583408361831137280?t=0SkZJSSCKGwKpVrnh-ChFQ&s=19

I agree that there are a lot more misses than hits but I can not see there being the end - “everyone” seems to have Netflix, even casual viewers who use it very little just let their subscriptions auto- renew

and there are enough hits to keep people going - and not everyone agrees on what is a miss (I hear people talk about something being “crap” but they still finished the film or series, which I assume Netflix monitors)

Apple are raising the price of TV+ by €2 from the end of November

• Advertisement

Not surprising really and there will be another probably much bigger increase next year when they start showing more and more sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

There will be subs that wont have to be touched but there will be plenty affected if this "add another home" cash grab comes in.

If that happens there will be a lot of cancellations. Where I live (small rural town) everyone is catchin on to how easy it is to get IPTV. Theres a couple guys in every town selling it. Broadband upgrades are now makin it a no brainer. A 40 euro android box with a yearly sub and you get everything. The apps on offer now are not far away from what netflix and sky offer also. Netflix's days are numbered in my opinion. It is fast becoming the poorest value streaming sub available.

Post edited by jj880 on

I have no interest in sport.

Hopefully it will something like an extra you opt into

I can’t see that end ever happening.

I don’t think I explained it very well earlier and there isn’t much chance of me be able to put it any better at this hour of the morning except to say I think Netflix is too big to die.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bad time to bump a subscription, but overall I've been very impressed with Apple's offering. It has accounted for way more of my viewings in the last 12 months than other services. They seem more exacting with their choices for programming and Severance, For all Mankind, Foundation and Slow Horses are all shows worth keeping the subs for. Watching Suspicion which is so-so, haven't got around to Bad Sisters yet. More than I can say for other services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think Apple will be the one I subscribe to one month at a time to binge a series like Ted Lasso or Severence. There's a lot on it I want to watch like Foundation and For All Mankind but it's just not a service I think of as a default.

Right now they have MLB

They paid billions for MLS rights starting next season.

This is the start of buying up rights around the world buy all accounts.

In movies and TV shows, how is it that when characters are digging holes (for example grave digging in Supernatural or being forced to dig your own grave in a crime drama) that they dig perfectly shaped and perfectly sided holes?

I haven’t had to dig many holes in my life but they are alway messy and far from perfect squares or rectangles.

and why is it that when the hit the box of the thing they are digging for that they act surprised or satisfied to have finally reached but it is clearly obvious before hit it it that it has been uncovered?

And I don’t know about anyone else, but there is no way anyone can convince me to to dig my own grave by threatening to kill me - “go eff off and dig it yourself” would be my response ;)

• Advertisement

With regard the Ad Supported tier of Netflix:

It's a US site so some shows listed aren't available here anyway, but Cobra Kai and The Crown are big shows to not have, assuming they're pulled from the ad supported version here.

how many episodes in total is the final season of Walking Dead going to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

24 episodes in total - another 2 to be released

Okay thanks.

It has a lot of story to wrap up and I can’t see how they are going to do it in 2 episodes -

conflict with Commonwealth, evolving Walkers*, Rick’s return**, wrapping up each characters arc

I was expecting Eugene’s trial to be a whole episode - hopefully this means it won’t be. He is a character that gets far too much screen time and should have been kept a minor supporting character. The only thing interesting about him is how he talks.

* they botched this element with the reaction by the characters (Aaron’s “I had heard rumours”)

** I assume this is happening anyway

The Rick movie is now going to be a mini series - dunno if they have even began filming it yet

Yeah the "heard rumours" felt shoe horned in to spice it up but only been a little bit of the story so far, I've the last 2 episodes to go so doubt it will amount to much

Why is it that some shows/films made for streaming services such as Netflix or Disney are still filmed in a format that leaves black bars? Like I just watched Enola Holmes 2 and this was happening. I understand it when theatrical releases are on there.

I'm sure the makers do it to give it a more cinematic feel, but I'm sure it's the minority that would care about that over a fullscreen picture.

Perhaps when movies have a lot of action? You can get a lot more action in with 2.35:1 than 16:9

Pure spoof on my part. I have no clue.

This is a an internet question but since it seems that only Netflix is affected I thought it best to ask here.

I’m using a shared WiFi. The speed test app on my AppleTV shows over 20mbps.

And every evening from 6 to 12 Netflix usually gets pixelated.

I assumed it was becasue others are using the WiFi but why are Disney+, Prime, etc not affected? Why is the speed test showing such a high number if others are online ?

and why is the 4G WiFi that I have which uses a different provider also delivering a pixelated Netflix?

• Advertisement

Ask Netflix - peak time viewing sharing the same bandwidth

Advertisement