Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Looking forward to watching some of the Panels from San Diego Comic Con on YouTube over the weekend - last year had some great panels...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Finished House last night.

What did you think of the last two seasons and the finale? They seemed to give up on growing the characters later on in the show.

Didn't realise VCR's were still being made, well, not for much longer.
    Funai Electric, which claims is the world's last VCR manufacturer, says it will no longer make the classic VCR, according to a CNN report.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

What did you think of the last two seasons and the finale? They seemed to give up on growing the characters later on in the show.

I enjoyed it myself, it fit in with House's philosophy that people don't change but I can see why that would bother some people.

Some of you may have noticed I'm very much pro everything The CW is putting out these days, but when they're dropping Network Promos as slick as this, can you really blame me...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thought it was only the last season that was really any different. season 7 seemed to be business as usual, then 8 changed up the cast a bit. Was a bit disappointed
    they didn't get everyone (ie Cuddy) back for the finale. Some closure there would've been good

Can't watch the CW trailer here, but a lot of the shows I watch are CW

• Advertisement

This doesn't fit into any particular TV Show thread, so thought this was the best place for it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Anyone watching The Night Of so far? Best thing on TV now for me

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's very good all right. It feels like ages between episodes which is a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hulu might be starting to crack down now they are starting to block payments through iTunes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hulu might be starting to crack down now they are starting to block payments through iTunes.

Crack down on people giving them money?

• Advertisement

Crack down on people giving them money?

It's a way to bypass regional workarounds if you have a US itunes account.

The major studios are going to target this next as seen with Netflix being forced to block the workaround.

They are going after torrents sites more than ever now and streaming sites are next.

It's a way to bypass regional workarounds if you have a US itunes account.

The major studios are going to target this next as seen with Netflix being forced to block the workaround.

They are going after torrents sites more than ever now and streaming sites are next.

As hard as they may try to stop torrent and streaming sites, more will pop up in its place - it's like whack a mole. I remember years ago when they tried to crack down on torrenting and streaming - for every site they managed to cut down, 10 more arrived to take its place. There was less illegal streaming and torrenting when people could access different Netflix regions, but now that they've crushed that, torrenting has become stronger again (the major studios would probably have been better off allowing the Netflix Region Switching - surely that was better for them that full on torrenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Theirs no alternative to torrents for TV shows at all is their??

As hard as they may try to stop torrent and streaming sites, more will pop up in its place - it's like whack a mole. I remember years ago when they tried to crack down on torrenting and streaming - for every site they managed to cut down, 10 more arrived to take its place. There was less illegal streaming and torrenting when people could access different Netflix regions, but now that they've crushed that, torrenting has become stronger again (the major studios would probably have been better off allowing the Netflix Region Switching - surely that was better for them that full on torrenting.

Agreed.

All major studio's are light years behind what their consumer wants be TV Film or Music and until they decide to change that stance and become pro consumer these crackdowns will happen every couple of years.

The one company that has listened to it's consumer Netflix has shown that consumers of media are will to pay for the media and Netflix were happy to let their consumers region hop until the dinosaur studio system stepped in.

Region hopping will be back at some stage and if Hulu follow through there will be a way around that in time the same goes with Amazon.

The streaming companies will do enough to keep the studios pacified and not much more that is all I think anyway but I could be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone watching The Night Of so far? Best thing on TV now for me
    Just watched first episode.. absolutely enthralling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Theirs no alternative to torrents for TV shows at all is their??

not at the moment, no.

what the major content creators need to do is go down the Spotify route - have 99% of everything available, worldwide, for one single reasonable payment.

Spotify is €9.99 (or €5.99 with some mobile phone plans) for access to an excellent library of music, with no geo-restrictions, and pretty much all new-releases as the come out. Some restrictions apply, but there really aren't many.

The general public don't care which studio is releasing TV shows, they just want to watch them when they want, in top quality - until they realise this then torrents and streaming sites are just going to keep on keeping on.

Having I don't know many channels of online content is frustrating and expensive. And impossible for people outside of North America to subscribe legitimately even if they wanted to.

I like to, off the top of my head, watch shows from HBO, Showtime, Netflix Original Content, Amazon, AMC and god knows what else, I don't even look at the logo half the time. All the major film studios too, and if a smaller film comes out that I want to see I spend my money and I go to the Lighthouse Cinema for the experience.

Ah no, the auld Google of the Torrent community (I won't name it, but anyone in the loop will probably know what I'm referring to) has ceased operations as of today - been going strong since 2003. So soon after KAT, I wonder if it is time to worry. There's still one big player in operation for me, but if that happens to go now too, I'll have to go looking for a new primary source - and even though I know there's hundreds of option, it's still a prospect I'm far from ecstatic about.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just finished Sharknado 4. I didn't think it would be possible to be worse than the first 3, but they pulled it off. With the different tornado types (sandnado, bouldernado, hailnado, lightningnado, firenado, lavanado, cownado and nukenado), horrible HORRIBLE special effects, horrible HORRIBLE acting (Ian Ziering and Tara Reid are truly awful), April's new super powers, the shark-inside-a-shark-inside-a-shark-inside-a-whale scene, the baby chainsaw, the shark defibrillators, the terrible green screen work, the bad movie one-liners, the pointless cameos (including Jedward), the bad Baywatch jokes, the cliffhanger...

Yeah I loved it. :D

I wonder if they are deliberately doing poor special effects for the cheese factor?

Yeah think I recognised only a few of the cameos. Looking the others up and they're from likes of Housewives of Beverly Hills. Gena Lee Nolin looked good though.
    I was trying to figure out who Gemini was supposed to be. Finn's sister?
    Watching it I just realised they have just given up on any attempt to make it realistic.
    I will admit I laughed at him saying "Hey bud..." and it turned out to be David Faustino he was talking to.
    And how can Jedward be in 2 Sharknado movies and
    survive both
    ?

But I will watch the next one if it gets made.

Next up is 2 Lava 2 Lantula. :D

Edit: Oh and confirmed to be set in the same timeline as Defiance, with how the arch was destroyed. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    I just finished Sharknado 4. I didn't think it would be possible to be worse than the first 3, but they pulled it off. With the different tornado types (sandnado, bouldernado, hailnado, lightningnado, firenado, lavanado, cownado and nukenado), horrible HORRIBLE special effects, horrible HORRIBLE acting (Ian Ziering and Tara Reid are truly awful), April's new super powers, the shark-inside-a-shark-inside-a-shark-inside-a-whale scene, the baby chainsaw, the shark defibrillators, the terrible green screen work, the bad movie one-liners, the pointless cameos (including Jedward), the bad Baywatch jokes, the cliffhanger...

Yeah I loved it. :D

I wonder if they are deliberately doing poor special effects for the cheese factor?
    Yeah think I recognised only a few of the cameos. Looking the others up and they're from likes of Housewives of Beverly Hills. Gena Lee Nolin looked good though.
    I was trying to figure out who Gemini was supposed to be. Finn's sister?
    Watching it I just realised they have just given up on any attempt to make it realistic.
    I will admit I laughed at him saying "Hey bud..." and it turned out to be David Faustino he was talking to.
    And how can Jedward be in 2 Sharknado movies and
    survive both
    ?

But I will watch the next one if it gets made.

Next up is 2 Lava 2 Lantula. :D

Edit: Oh and confirmed to be set in the same timeline as Defiance, with how the arch was destroyed. :)

Just got around to watching it. It was deliciously awful. Best (worst?) so far. Absolutely loved it. Many of the cameos went over my head but the ones I knew were just brilliant - my favourite had to be David Faustino.

And the cheesy one-liners and homages were just gloriously dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

If it's exciting television, I have no problem 90 minute episodes. The real problem is it happens too much with slow, non-exciting shows. I haven't checked out The Get Down yet, but do the people who complain about 90 minute TV episodes never watch films?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Am I right in saying that the only place in Ireland where I can buy digitally individual episodes and tv box sets is the Microsoft App Store (previously Xbox video)? Keep getting burned by box sets disappearing off of netflix and sky, but when I search online to buy episodes it seems the big 3 (Google play, Amazon and apple itunes) don't sell tv shows in Ireland. Are there no domestic companies picking up the slacks, "Sean's TV Download Shop" or the like?

Steven Bochco has released a memoir. For those old enough to remember what was huge at the time David Caruso leaving NYPD Blue here is a bit from the memoir.
    By the end of the cop drama’s breakout first season, “David Caruso had become impossible,” Bocho writes in the book (a portion of which has been excerpted on THR.com). “Caruso’s behavior was, simply put, cancerous. He was emotionally unavailable to everyone, and he was volatile, moody or sullen, depending on the day. Most people don’t function well in a dysfunctional environment, but Caruso loved it because he was the source of all the discontent, and it empowered him.
    “He never said it to me directly, but the simple truth was, Caruso felt he was too good for television,” Bochco adds. “He wanted to be a movie star. And his plan was to alienate the writers, producers and his fellow castmates in hopes that we would dump him from the show.”

When that didn’t happen, Caruso asked to be let out of his contract unless certain demands were met, Bochco alleges. Among them: A raise from $40K to $100K an episode, as well as “Fridays off… a 38-foot trailer…. an office suite on the lot, replete with his own development executive, for whom we had to foot the bill to the tune of $1,000 a week… two hotel suites in New York when the company went there on location, plus a dozen first-class plane tickets… and additional security to shield him from his adoring public.”
    In the end, Caruso was written out of NYPD Blue four episodes into Season 2. Jimmy Smits, meanwhile, was brought in to replace him and, as Bocho states, ended up making “the series even greater.”

http://tvline.com/2016/08/18/david-caruso-nypd-blue-exit-controversy-steven-bochco-memoir/

That could be an interesting memoir to read in general .

Amazon pilots out. Watched The Tick. Never saw the animated series and saw the live action series years ago. I thought this one was good but not much of The Tick so far.
    Jean-Claude Van Johnson was fun. I would happily watch more

Amazon pilots out. Watched The Tick. Never saw the animated series and saw the live action series years ago. I thought this one was good but not much of The Tick so far.

I didn't think much of the new The Tick pilot. Any live-action adaptation will never be a patch on the animated series though, and the 2001 version is probably the closest we'll get to the cartoon.

You should definitely watch the animated version, it's really clever and funny and can just do things with the characters (especially the villains) that a live-action version will never be able to achieve.

Yeah, I plan on watching the animated series.

I used to like the US Apprentice when it was just regular cocky business people who were full of themselves. I lost interest when it became a celebrity-only format (and all episodes become coma-inducing 90 minute snoozefests).

Arnie is taking over from Trump in January 2017 and this promo is horrendous (yet predictable).

I wish it wasn't celebrities again, though.

This is pretty cool. A cartoon version of the 60s Batman (including voice acting by Adam West, Burt Ward and Julie Newmar). Jesus they sound old though...

It also has to be said - the kitsch levels are authentic!

Coming out October 11th on digital platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Advertisement