Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Started Happy Valley tonight. It has been on my watch list for a long time but I never got around to it.

Totally hooked now, excellent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr E wrote: »
    Started Happy Valley tonight. It has been on my watch list for a long time but I never got around to it.

Oh my God.. it's taken you this long Dave?!

It's a cracker!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Mr E wrote: »

Basq wrote: »
    Oh my God.. it's taken you this long Dave?!

It's a cracker!

This has been on my list for awhile, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Might give it a whirl when I'm done with my current re-watch of The Wire...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Happy Valley is great.

Just a few episodes of Fargo s2 left to watch. Haven't returned to American Odyssey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Happy Valley is great.

Just a few episodes of Fargo s2 left to watch. Haven't returned to American Odyssey.

totally agreed on Happy Valley, I watched 3 or 4 American Odyssey and had totally forgotten about it til now which shows how much I enjoyed it. All too samey I thought, I like Anna Friel though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Meanwhile, in North Korea....

North Korea launches a Netflix-style streaming service called Manbang

Manbang means "Everything" in Korean (apparently).

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just came across The 100 Code and have been watching it over the last few days a Nordic Noir series written by Irish writer Ken Bruen made by HBO Nordic starring Michael Nyqvist & Dominic Monaghan it's full of cliches but still a very enjoyable.

I've been watching Canadian police drama 19-2. Has a bit of a Southland feel. 3 series out so far and getting stronger each time
    Set in Montreal, the show centres around the professional and personal lives of patrol officers from Poste 19 of the Service Police Metropolitain (Montreal Police Department), a fictitious version of the Service de police de la Ville de Montréal. The series name comes from the callsign of the patrol car of the main characters.[NB 1]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Watching Clan/The Outlaws at the moment. Belgian black comedy drama, really good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Going to check out Peaky Blinders.

• Advertisement

Bunch of videos from the Edinburgh International Television Festival, including this debate between the UK channel heads. I dunno if US execs would be up for a similar format, they tend to stick to the critical circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

What is the point in another historical cliche-driven tv show like Victoria. "let's pretend we have a clue what life was like years ago".

What is the point in another historical cliche-driven tv show like Victoria. "let's pretend we have a clue what life was like years ago".

Goes down well with the parish? I've not seen Downtown, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if RTE's coverage of Electric Picnic this year will be as terrible as last year. "Yes we have hours of progamming dedicated to Picnic and we may actually show one or 2 songs if we can fit it in among all our talking"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

If Eoghan McDermott has anything to do with it, then no doubt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ok, whose idea was it to start watching the West Wing. 4 episodes watched today so far. It should be considered a waste of my day off but instead I'm thinking I should have more watched by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

"EPG information that makes U laff"

EPG_Cricket_adult_themes.jpg

EPG_Despicable_Me.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I've been watching the tennis and its been bugging me that World No.3 Stan Wawrinka reminded me of someone and I couldn't figure out who it was.

Finally realised I was thinking of Kitten Mittens inventor Charlie Kelly!

I googled it and found one person who agrees with me, that's enough :)

https://twitter.com/hshads/status/561110575699075072

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I've recently finished watching "Band of Brothers" and I really enjoyed it. Basically just recorded it while it was on Sky Atlantic over the past month or two

Almost hard to believe it was 15 years ago, a real blockbuster. I was too young when it was first on and just never got around to watching in the last few years.

I got a real kick out of seeing all these well known actors in tiny roles as well as a few big ones.

How does "The Pacific" stand up in comparison? I'm not in any rush to watch it but it's definitely on my list of things I will watch.

I've recently finished watching "Band of Brothers" and I really enjoyed it. Basically just recorded it while it was on Sky Atlantic over the past month or two

Almost hard to believe it was 15 years ago, a real blockbuster. I was too young when it was first on and just never got around to watching in the last few years.

I got a real kick out of seeing all these well known actors in tiny roles as well as a few big ones.

How does "The Pacific" stand up in comparison? I'm not in any rush to watch it but it's definitely on my list of things I will watch.

Pacific is ok only. Doesn't really stand up to BOB. If I was to advise the order of watching it'd be Pacific first then BoB obviously too late for you.

Recorded the reruns myself and am planning a rewatch for what will be the 5th time I'd say. Even had the box set at one stage though it's long since leant to who I cant remember

• Advertisement

I didn't connect as much with the characters featured in The Pacific. Worth a watch all the same, different theatre of war.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I'd agree with the other posters, The Pacific is ok but not as compelling as BoB. The characters tend to blend together a bit. Still well worth watching, but don't get your hopes too high :)

Has there been any update on the planned Battle of Britain series that the same team were developing, I wonder?

(By the way, for anyone who liked BoB, Tom Hanks also produced a series called 'From the Earth to the Moon', about the Apollo missions, that is worth a look. Especially if you liked Apollo 13 as many of the same people were involved in making it)

maudgonner wrote: »
    Has there been any update on the planned Battle of Britain series that the same team were developing, I wonder?

Didn't hear about that. I was expecting Masters of the Air/The Mighty Eight next. iirc, they were interviewing some remaining veterans and were early in scripting/pre-production, but really all there seems to be is a Facebook fan page. No word from HBO anyway. These things take years, I think The Pacific was shot in 2007 and aired in 2010.

Agreed on From the Earth to the Moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Didn't hear about that. I was expecting Masters of the Air/The Mighty Eight next. iirc, they were interviewing some remaining veterans and were early in scripting/pre-production, but really all there seems to be is a Facebook fan page. No word from HBO anyway. These things take years, I think The Pacific was shot in 2007 and aired in 2010.

Ah, that must be the one I'm thinking of - I heard something mentioned about it ages ago but never heard any details.

Having another re-watch of one of my all-time favourite TV shows, Land of the Giants...

With all the re-boots and re-makes happening these days this is one I'd love to see back in some form or another with cameos from the surviving cast members...

landofthegiants2-jpg.32945

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's on the Horror Channel from Sept 19th - I'm assuming it's been remastered.

God yeah, I remember that.

It's on the Horror Channel from Sept 19th - I'm assuming it's been remastered.

Didn't know that. Good time for me to be bringing it up so - I have the DVDs myself, but great nostalgia factor for anyone who's never re-watched it and a worthy classic for those who've never been lucky enough to see it, so set the series links lads... ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is Dag the greatest show on TV? It might well be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Anyone know when Peaky Blinders season 3 will be up on Netflix?
    I watched the first 2 seasons I think its brilliant, highly recommended 9/10

Advertisement