Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decided to do LC again. Need some book recomm

Options
  • 13-01-2016 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

Okay guys, decided to bite the bullet and take one last crack at the Leaving Cert. I already have some leftover books from last year, but I need some help choosing which books to get for new subjects. Here goes:

History - I have nothing yet. I'd really appreciate if someone cleared up which of the multitude of books I should pick out.
    Economics - I have this tiny Understanding Economics book but frankly all of the stats are from 2007 and are useless. Not sure which econ book is the best.
    English - Just got poetry 2016. I know I'll need King Lear but which comparative books are you guys using.

Cheers guys! I'm one of you again.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You've probably done it, but make sure you've registered in time with the SEC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

spurious wrote: »
    You've probably done it, but make sure you've registered in time with the SEC.

To take the exams as an External Candidate? I didn't think the facility was open. Examinations/ie says it'll be open in "early january" but I didn't see any link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Okay guys, decided to bite the bullet and take one last crack at the Leaving Cert. I already have some leftover books from last year, but I need some help choosing which books to get for new subjects. Here goes:

History - I have nothing yet. I'd really appreciate if someone cleared up which of the multitude of books I should pick out.
    Economics - I have this tiny Understanding Economics book but frankly all of the stats are from 2007 and are useless. Not sure which econ book is the best.
    English - Just got poetry 2016. I know I'll need King Lear but which comparative books are you guys using.

Cheers guys! I'm one of you again.

For the comparative we're doing Foster by Claire Keegan, the Plough and the Stars by Sean O'Casey and the King's Speech.

Grab a copy of Key Notes English for 2016. It has great notes on all the poets, King Lear and those three texts for the comparative.

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    For the comparative we're doing Foster by Claire Keegan, the Plough and the Stars by Sean O'Casey and the King's Speech.

Grab a copy of Key Notes English for 2016. It has great notes on all the poets, King Lear and those three texts for the comparative.

Thanks a lot, King's speech is a great film and I read Sean O Casey's "Juno and the Paycock" last year and thought he was a good playwright, so I should be grand. Cheers for the Englis recommendations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

To take the exams as an External Candidate? I didn't think the facility was open. Examinations/ie says it'll be open in "early january" but I didn't see any link?

I think it will be open later this week, but keep an eye on it as the closing date is early in Feb..

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I think it will be open later this week, but keep an eye on it as the closing date is early in Feb..

Thanks, will do.

Guys, really need those book recommendations!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

I use Modern Ireland and Modern Europe for History. Our 3 case studies this year are: Stalin's Show Trials, The Jarrow March and The Nuremberg Rallies, if that's any help :)

siebey123 wrote: »
    I use Modern Ireland and Modern Europe for History. Our 3 case studies this year are: Stalin's Show Trials, The Jarrow March and The Nuremberg Rallies, if that's any help :)

Case studies? How does that work? Is there a separate book I need to buy for case studies? Thanks for the info, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

Case studies? How does that work? Is there a separate book I need to buy for case studies? Thanks for the info, by the way.

I use the same books - the Case Studies are all in the Modern Europe book, you only need the contents of the YELLOW pages in the "Dictatorship and Democracy" section, but a bit of background information wouldn't go amiss from Chapters 1-3 of that section.

You have to do any one other section of European/American history, we're doing the USA, then you need to do two sections of Irish history, we're doing Ireland 1910s-1940s and Ulster 1940s-1990s

• Registered Users Posts: 30 shluachra

Best of luck tsmguy. Have you a teacher organised to supervise your project?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 infinitykarma

Positive Economics is a good economics book. Pair that with the exam papers and you're all set!

shluachra wrote: »
    Best of luck tsmguy. Have you a teacher organised to supervise your project?
    I think the teacher from my old school will do it. Will she be the one grading it or is it done externally?
    Positive Economics is a good economics book. Pair that with the exam papers and you're all set!
    Cool, I've got positive economics. It's a hell of a lot longer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

Okay so on the history paper on the day of the exam, you will be given a document question. This document will be based on one of the case studies, and like danm14 outlined, the case studies are all in the Modern Europe book. You can also get info regarding them online.

Basically you will be given 4 questions. Q1 will be a comprehension question where you answer based on the documents they give you (could also be a picture/cartoon). Q2 is usually a comparison question where you compare the two documents they provide you with. Q3) is Criticism eg "Do you think Source A is a good example of propaganda?" etc. Q4 is your "mini essay" 1-1.5 A4 page answering a question based on the background of the case study that appears on the day.

The case studies are actually relatively easy this year, compared to a few years back :) anymore questions don't hesitate to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Just noticed this and thought of you

https://www.examinations.ie/?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ca

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

We doing the Kings speech and the plough and the stars for our English comparative! They are actually two nice ones to compare

Advertisement