Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling sky

Options
  • 13-01-2016 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

My other half decided to cut back on the sky service., We are both very seldome at home to watch tv so good enough reason to go with the free to air stations

Rang sky in October and said bye bye thanks for your service of 18 months we no longer require your service an here is my months notice.

she checks her bank account this month. And low and behold sky took out 2 more payments of 50 € for dec and jan.

She called them up again and they said she didnt complete the cancel request back in October., eh hello. Why else would she have spent 45 mins on hold if it wasn't to cancel.

They said there was no record of it and it will be 31 days from today now that she will have to wait.

She is furious about this bu it's like there is nothing she can do?

She rang her bank and they said sky had permission to go in every month as per agreement an that they (the bank) are not able to help, except for to cancels next months payment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Always cancel in writing instead of /as well as on the phone. Hard to prove a phonecall happened months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Do Sky not insist on cancelling in writing?

If not then ask them for a copy of the recording of the call. Check your phone bill for proof you made that call at the time you stated.

If they allow cancelling over the phone then surely the onus is on them to keep a record

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

They allow cancelling over the phone but they keep asking you why and try to keep you as a customer. It's really irritating. I left them a few months ago and they have haunted me with corny emails, letters and phonecalls with deals to rejoin.
    One email actually had a crying emoji and "It's just not the same since you left" written beside it.

Whose bright idea was that? Quite a pathetic attempt at humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

How are the payments made? Is it by direct debit from bank account?

If so, you just need to call into your bank in person (doesn't matter what bank) and ask for a "SEPA direct debit refund form". This will allow you to get a refund on any direct debits from your account up to 8 weeks old. You do not need to provide a reason to do this, there will be a tick box on the form "customer did not give reason" or whatever.

Within 2-3 days you will have the refund. This is nothing to do with Sky, your bank must make this refund. Then you can also cancel future direct debits to Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sky are a nightmare to try and cancel. I told them I was emigrating to outer Mongolia and the advisor said 'Hang on, I will check if we have a service over there and you can transfer it'!!

Be firm, polite and decline all of the offers they offer you then email them to confirm the cancellation as per the phone call

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Do Sky not insist on cancelling in writing?

Quite the opposite, the do not permit cancellation in writing and make that quite clear.

"Please note, we won't be able to cancel your services unless we verify your request over the phone."

Then when you contact them by phone you get a hard sell to stay with them and this will go on for up to an hour - and that's no exaggeration!

But whilst they say that you cannot cancel in writing, I very much doubt if such a ridiculous policy would stand up in court, so one option is to write to them with account number, address and also provide last 4 digits of bank account so that they cannot claim that they need to verify your ID.

But the easiest way is to tell them that you are relocating overseas (have some info ready for small talk) and you will be cancelled in 2 minutes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

VincePP wrote: »
    Quite the opposite, the do not permit cancellation in writing and make that quite clear.

"Please note, we won't be able to cancel your services unless we verify your request over the phone."

Then when you contact them by phone you get a hard sell to stay with them and this will go on for up to an hour - and that's no exaggeration!

But whilst they say that you cannot cancel in writing, I very much doubt if such a ridiculous policy would stand up in court, so one option is to write to them with account number, address and also provide last 4 digits of bank account so that they cannot claim that they need to verify your ID.

But the easiest way is to tell them that you are relocating overseas (have some info ready for small talk) and you will be cancelled in 2 minutes. :)

I would think then that this will work in the OPs favour.

OP says he cancelled. OP should have records of a long phone call on that date.

Onus should be on Sky to prove he didnt cancel then.

As another poster said, contact bank to get SEPA refunds.

But I would also write to Sky to outline your concerns and insist that you did cancel and that you will be seeking a refund from them.

One question for the OP - did you not notice that the service was still on?

I cancelled on 7th December. (I should be working in Luxembourg now!! :) ) and service stopped on 8th January.

Happily with Netflix & Freesat + saorview @ €7.99 a month total cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

I rang Sky yesterday to cancel Sky Sports. I was perfectly calm when ringing. I had no big complains. I was just cancelling Sports because I never get time to watch it and leaving the bog standard subscription in place.

But by the time I was off the phone yesterday evening after 45 minutes (not to mention the previous 25 minute call in the afternoon which I gave up on because I had to go back to work) I was freakin' ragin with the hoors.

I have always said to my wife that Sky is a waste of money and I must sort out FreeSat etc but been too lazy to see it through. But after yesterdays phone call I am determined to see it through this time.

BnB wrote: »
    I rang Sky yesterday to cancel Sky Sports. I was perfectly calm when ringing. I had no big complains. I was just cancelling Sports because I never get time to watch it and leaving the bog standard subscription in place.

But by the time I was off the phone yesterday evening after 45 minutes (not to mention the previous 25 minute call in the afternoon which I gave up on because I had to go back to work) I was freakin' ragin with the hoors.

I have always said to my wife that Sky is a waste of money and I must sort out FreeSat etc but been too lazy to see it through. But after yesterdays phone call I am determined to see it through this time.

Freesat + saorview + Netflix = as much decent telly as you will need.

The €250 saving on the basic sky package will get you a nice weekend away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

VincePP wrote: »
    Freesat + saorview + Netflix = as much decent telly as you will need.

The €250 saving on the basic sky package will get you a nice weekend away :)

Well I went out and bought a HDMI Cable today so I can test out Netflix on the telly via an android tablet. We're livin' out the sticks so no 100% sure if our Internet speeds will be up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

My advise to anyone that was cancelling when I worked as an installer for sky, was when asked for reason they're cancelling, to tell the customer services person that you're going to prison for a few years, they'll process the cancellation immediately and without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

kbell wrote: »
    My advise -- to tell the customer services person that you're going to prison for a few years,
    :D

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

My wife cancelled yesterday in 11 minutes, 40 seconds. Told him from the start, no BS, not interested in a new offer, so he offered 15% discount. Them lied and told us that we're already on the discounted basic service (we pay €33, it's available for €29). She stuck to her guns, and told him to pass up the line what. She thought of their increases, how difficult they make it for people to cancel etc. Oh, and for good measure, she advised them to put as much effort into keeping their prices down as trying to keep departing customers. I trained her well.:p

Advertisement