Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sspeculations to the Arctic Islands and Pascal GPU launch prices?

Options
  • 13-01-2016 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Anyone have any idea as to how expensive these are going to be? I mean, will they be priced in comparison to the 28nm models they will replace, or will they be segmented and have different prices because of "newness"?

For reference, the launch prices of GPUs in the past 4 years;
    GTX Titan X: $1200 (didn't see one for less than €1300)
    980 Ti: $650/ €670
    980: $580/ €600
    970: $350/ €350
    960: $189/ €199
    Fury X: $649/ €655
    Fury Nano: $689/ €690
    Fury: $549/ €550
    R9 290X: $570/ €585
    R9 290: $399/ €400
    R9 280X: $299/ €300
    R9 280: $230/ €245
    R9 285: $250/ €250

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Redfox25

They will likely be a silly price for the first few weeks, in a similar vein to the prices linked above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

AMD have already said they're be models across the range (with mobile coming first) so I expect Nvidia will do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I barely use my computer these days due to work, wonder am I as well off to sell the 980ti now and wait it out? Only play Fallout 4 for about 2 hours....a week. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I think Amd's fury cards where priced high and i think that they are trying to get rid of the "budget" brand name.If that's the case i can see their new cards being priced at least the same levels of the furyX and 390/390x's if not more.
    So top end Arctic could easily be 700e+ imo.

I paid around 420e for my 7970 just after launch which is a hell of a lot cheaper that FuryX at launch and was much easier to stomach price wise.

As for Pascal it will be the same silly high prices as is the norm for Nvidia's Ti's and Titans imo.

I'd guess bottom line is we will pay at almost the same price for the same performance we have now and both companies will charge extra for top tier cards.

I really hope I'm way off here as i really don't want to spend 500e on a mid to high level card plus the extra 100e odd for a water block.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

AMD have pretty much always competed right across the board from low to high end so calling them budget cards was never really right.

Nvidia only took the crown as the best single gpu card you could get if you were willing to spend €700-1000 while AMD offered a dual gpu, single card solution for around the same price that gave far better price/performance figures if you were willing to live with crossfire.

The 7970 was one of the best value high end cards ever. We'll be lucky to see something like that again but I miss the days of the top end gpu's costing no more than €400-500. As long as there are people willing to spend 700-1000+ for a single card though there will always be these "enthusiast" cards.

I'd be perfectly happy with a 4gb HBM card with 980ti performance with lower power consumption, temps and better overclocking potential for around €400 but maybe I'm dreaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Only issue with 4gb HBM is that even AMD isn't satisfied with it, as evidenced by the 8gb VRAM in the version bump cards. If AMD manage to double the HBM and move successfully to the finfet process they could win the next release. This doesn't look terribly promising though right now.
    http://wccftech.com/amd-allegedly-facing-trouble-sourcing-hbm2-chips-arctic-islands-gpus-mainstream-lineup-stick-hbm1/

Edit: Reading more seems to suggest this may be just rumors, but more likely that AMD will leave HBM2 to the highest end cards, then HBM to high end, and GDDR5 to the consumer grade. Similar to now I suppose.
    Also, I didn't realise that nVidia were targeting HBM2 for Pascal either. Gonna be an interesting summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

4gb is plenty for 1440p really. GTAV is the only game that will come close to using all of that memory.

They can simply do 8gb versions of the same card for those wanting more memory for mods or 4k.

The flagship cards will come with 8gb I'd say in the 700+ price bracket.

Advertisement