Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DevOps Tools

Options
  • 13-01-2016 11:37pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had an interview in Galway last week and sadly, I was unsuccessful. It furthered my interest in DevOps tools. So I installed Bugzilla, Jenkins, Monit, MariaDB, Nginx and Ansible. I have all those tools running on Fedora 22 and I'm wondering, what other tools should I be working with, along side any other aspects of Linux.

I pretty much have Bash, Python and C down for Automation purposes, while having to take a crash course in SELinux. So what should I look at, considering DevOps is an area I want to move into.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Itzy wrote: »
    I had an interview in Galway last week and sadly, I was unsuccessful. It furthered my interest in DevOps tools. So I installed Bugzilla, Jenkins, Monit, MariaDB, Nginx and Ansible. I have all those tools running on Fedora 22 and I'm wondering, what other tools should I be working with, along side any other aspects of Linux.

I pretty much have Bash, Python and C down for Automation purposes, while having to take a crash course in SELinux. So what should I look at, considering DevOps is an area I want to move into.

The DevOps movement is interesting to say the least, but the scope is quite wide. There's many different parts/areas you could look into:
    • Automating infrastructure (AWS/Azure/OpenStack/Terraform)
    • Config management (Chef/Puppet/Ansible/Salt)
    • CI/CD tools (Travis/Jenkins/Bamboo)
    • Automated Testing (Cucumber/Selenium)
    • Monitoring (Nagios/Sensu/Zabbix)
    • Logging (ELK)
    • Containers (Docker/Kubernetes/Packer)

You wouldn't need to be an expert on all of the above, but you should know what tools are available, and why they are useful. Your best bet is to look at the AWS or Azure free tiers, and try out some small orchestrations. I'd also check out Vagrant for creating dev VMs, its pretty great (as is everything that Hashicorp does)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Perhaps as well both a bit of knowledge on Lab setup and configuration as well as tools like the MongoDB or Elasticsearch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thanks for the advice. I'll be getting my hands on what I can and learn as much as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

A free AWS account and the book "Ansible up and Running" will get you a long way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thanks for the Colonel. I'll check it out now, seen as I'm not doing anything else at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

The first thing to learn about DevOps is not many companies know what "DevOps" is.

It reminds me a little bit of when we started calling everything cloud.

Learning something like Ansible for the sake of learning Ansible is pretty much a waste of time and will never give you the depth of understanding you would gleen from actually needing to use Ansible.

You have companies that advertise two jobs a Sys Admin role and a DevOp role, pay the DevOp 10k more and hire the guy with the same skillset. as the sys admin.

Like anything else your best bet is to keep following things you really enjoy or that you actually need. the second part can be difficult if you're not actually in a role currently and trying to get your foot in the door.

If you're struggling to break into a "DevOp" role maybe aim for more a basic Linux Sys admin role and use the needs of that role to build up a portfolio of skills but don't get caught up in "DevOp". find problems in the environments your in and try to solve them in creative ways and you'll learn much more about what you doing than playing around with playbooks on AWS.

If you just want to ****e talk your way through an interview then messing on AWS is probably the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I work in DevOps. I'm a classically-trained programmer, AIX/Solaris admin, SCM Sith Lord, network engineer, scripting Ip Man, hardware monkey and all kinds of stupid crap I can hardly remember anymore. There is no "cloud" - it's somebody else's computer. There is no "DevOps" - it's what you've always done, only you pipe the build to the install/upgrade and there's no SVV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

jimgoose wrote: »
    I work in DevOps.
    What's the first rule in Devops?
    There is no "DevOps"

Advertisement