Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plug query re : cables

Options
  • 14-01-2016 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi.

I have a commercial coffee machine I wish to set up in my house I have done it before. It currently has a "commercial plug" on it so I need to wire it to a house plug.

So black and grey cables (together)go into one bit of commercial plug Brown and blue (together) go into another then there is earth.

How do I translate this into a house plug?

Again I have done it befoe but forget

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Brown black grey / earth suggests it's three phase!

The connections you describe suggest it was wired single phase by a cowboy with too small a wire size..

Need more details. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

A lot of commercial coffee machines have single phase control systems, but use 3 phase power for heating in order to be able to get enough power quickly enough to keep the flow rate going in that environment.

While in theory some can be operated on single phase, the problem comes with trying to run all of the heating elements on single phase, as the current draw will be too high for normal domestic circuits.

If you don't need commercial throughput of hot water, it MAY be possible to run the machine using one, or possibly 2 of the heating elements, but that will very much depend on how the heater elements are connected, and also the voltage that the heating elements are expecting, the "bodge" described in your original post may only have worked as a result of other changes made internally in the machine, and if you don't make those changes, the only result will be to be constantly blowing fuses, or tripped circuit breakers, or incorrect operation due to the voltage being too low to operate the heater elements.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement