Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st time PC build, opinions/advice appreciated

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

So lads, few weeks on and I'm flying. Picked up an R9 285 card for 120 on adverts that has handled everything I've thrown at it on max settings admirably, bringing the total spend to 540 euro.

Specs:
    AS Rock Z170m PRO4S mobo
    Skylake i3 6300
    8gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400
    Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB hard disk
    MSI R9 285 2gb GPU
    EVGA 500 Bronze PSU
    Corsair Carbide 100R Silent case

As you can see from the pic at the minute I'm using a keyboard and mouse I borrowed from work and a Samsung 1080 22" TV I picked up for free and fixed, will look to upgrade all these in due course but happy out for now. Would post an internals pic but combination of non-modular PSU and non-windowed case means the internals aren't really nice to look at, but I'm just happy it all works!

One remaining question, can anyone recommend a good fan controller software, or even advice on doing it through the BIOS. Been using the ASRock A-Tuning app that came with the mobo but even though I set it to run on startup it doesn't seem to implement my settings unless I manually open up the app first. I'm going for quiet as possible so a decent CPU cooler is next on the shopping list but would like to get it as quiet as possible (and safe) til then.

Advertisement