Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite minigames in games

Options
  • 14-01-2016 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

I was going to say 'best' , but everyone's opinion is different.
    I was just thinking about this today as I started playing FF8 again this week (after seeing that FF9 will be coming soon) and was back wasting time on Triple Triad.
    I used to love that game, and I still enjoy it.

But had me thinking of other minigames within games that I really liked.
    Ones that come to mind...

FF7 - Chocobo breeding and racing
    FF10 - Blitzball
    Bioshock (Pipe Puzzles)
    Red Dead Redemption - Poker
    Tekken Tag - the volleyball or whatever it was

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

Triple Triad
    Gwent
    Blitzball, only in FFX.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Tekken bowl <3
    The dodgeball minigame in bully
    Terror is reality in dead rising 2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I loved Blitzball back when playing FFX. Spent more time then i should have on it, but never did manage to get Wakka's ultimate weapon iirc. Also, Triple Triad was pretty good, but Gwent is something i expected to hate, and ended up loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

I loved the OctoBall mini game in Link Between Worlds but I think I'm the only one who did!

The pipe games in the Bioshock games always annoyed me. I'd just get the upgrades to give more time etc which made them redundant as a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

steve_r wrote: »
    The pipe games in the Bioshock games always annoyed me. I'd just get the upgrades to give more time etc which made them redundant as a challenge.

I ended up hating them by the end of the game. Such an utter pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played through FF7 recently and the chocobo breeding and racing was far and away the worst thing about it. Ugh... never again.

In terms of good minigames, the iron chef one from Suikoden 2 springs to mind, that could have been a whole game in itself.

Triple Triad from FF8 was a fantastic card game, much better than the one from FF9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I bought Rayman Legends on the strength of this mini game alone after my little nephew brought it up one evening, such a laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The mini games in the Time Splitters series were really decent, (and multiplayer I think) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Triple Triad in FF8 was class

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

IK+ dodging the balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

QUB3D in GTA IV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Does Geometry Wars in PGR2 count?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Totally forgot the minigame arcade machine in Catherine which was excellent but bastard hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

being able to play Maniac Mansion inside Day of the Tentacle

Playing original Wolfenstein in the latest Wolfenstein game

The dice game in The Witcher 2

Gwent in Witcher 3

there was a good card game in one of the Star Wars/KOTOR games iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Definitely Gwent. Didn't bother with it at the start but by the end of the game I was seeking ppl out just to play a game.

I also enjoyed the Dice game in the Witcher 2 once I bothered to figure out how to play it.

Pool and Darts in GTA 4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Skerries wrote: »
    there was a good card game in one of the Star Wars/KOTOR games iirc

Ugh, I hated Sabacc. No matter how many times I replayed it, I could never figure out what the hell was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

Kiith wrote: »
    Ugh, I hated Sabacc. No matter how many times I replayed it, I could never figure out what the hell was going on.
    Pazaak. Sabacc was a different card game in the Star Wars EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

hah! of course you can play it online :)

http://www.pazaak.org/game/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Definitely Gwent. Didn't bother with it at the start but by the end of the game I was seeking ppl out just to play a game.

That was me after figuring out the rules (finally). Travelled to all the towns I'd previously visited.

"GWENT. ANYONE?"

There's a great nod to this in the Hearts of Stone DLC, a merchant that's far more interested in playing gwent with you than trading (almost obsessively so).

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

Triple Triad from FF8

You can even play it online now: https://www.tripletriadflashonline.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

sheep? wrote: »
    That was me after figuring out the rules (finally). Travelled to all the towns I'd previously visited.

"GWENT. ANYONE?"

There's a great nod to this in the Hearts of Stone DLC, a merchant that's far more interested in playing gwent with you than trading (almost obsessively so).

Have Hearts of Stone but want to do it as a part of another play through rather than just jumping into it. Also missed playing the Baron first time through so want to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Virtua Figher 2 in Yakuza 5 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 in Doom 3

Best game ever. I could play it all day

Take that you stupid turkey!

On a similar but unrelated vein, the car smashing levels in Street fighter are kinda like mini games. I used to love smashing those cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Fire brigade game in GTA II asnd all subsequent GTA's. Found it slightly more relaxing than the ambulance and vigilante missions.

The chicken kicking tournament in Fable I was very un-pc but hilarious nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The hacking minigame in Paradroid.

I'm old.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Blitzball was brilliant. It actually felt like a sport that people in the world would play and watch. And it was fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 oliviablond

Triple Triad and OctoBall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The punch up in General Chaos.

ME3 Citadel DLC games.

The Pip Boy games in Fallout 4.

All the GTAV side games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

All the GTAV side games.

Tennis. I could play tennis for hours in GTA V.

• Advertisement
Advertisement