Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nz holiday pay

• 14-01-2016 6:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭

So I'm working for an employment agency in New Zealand and worked the 21st and 22nd of December. Can anyone tell me if I am entitled to have been paid for Christmas day and Stephens' day as they are paid holidays generally and fell on weekdays?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

So I'm working for an employment agency in New Zealand and worked the 21st and 22nd of December. Can anyone tell me if I am entitled to have been paid for Christmas day and Stephens' day as they are paid holidays generally and fell on weekdays?

I'd be very surprised if you got paid for these days through an agency. Do you have a contract or are you casual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Law's are different from Ireland's.

You only get paid for public holidays if you regularly work on that day: ref http://employment.govt.nz/infozone/businessessentials/basics/leave/pay-public-holidays-correctly.asp

(So if you take a part-time job, don't agree to not work on Mondays, because that's when most public holidays are, and so you would miss out.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The new year will be the same pattern. You can only be entitled to 4 stat days over the period regardless of when worked, ie if you work Friday, Saturday and Monday you cannot claim 6 stat days, only 4. Friday and Monday were the actual stat days so if you normally work these two days you are entitled to get paid. "Normally" is defined over a period of several weeks, I think the previous 8 for example.

However you do really need to check the contract with the agency and what it explicitly states on the matter.

Advertisement