Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suicide bombers and gunmen attack Indonesian capital

• 14-01-2016 7:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭

At least 3 suicide bombers blew themselves up in a Starbucks and 10-14 gunmen opened fire on bystanders in Jakarta. Explosives were also found in a mall. It seems like they are targeting western or american branded businesses. At least 6 gunmen are still on the lose and have taken hostages in a movie theatre. Police have said it is ISIS related.

:(

I have a feeling 2016 is going to be a bad year.

Live thread here on the guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jan/14/multiple-explosions-gunshots-reported-in-jakarta-rolling-report

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

The Mormons, up to no good as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Horrible situation, but ISIS seem to be getting worse at terrorism:

Seven explosions
    10 to 14 perpetrators involved
    Six people believed to have been killed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I guess all of those bombs the West dropped on Indonesia turned them into terrorists. We need to blame ourselves in some way.

Something, something, Dick Cheney, Oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

smash wrote: »

Seven explosions

I think there are 3 bombers included in that too. Hopefully it will stay low. It seems they tried to enter a mall but were stopped and one of them detonated his vest in the guard hut, the others fled. They are saying now it's not IS linked or at least there's no evidence that it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Monday: Two suicide bombers kill 19 in Iraq
    Tuesday: Suicide bombing in Turkey kills 10, suicide bombing in Cameroon kills 12
    Wednesday: Suicide bombing in Pakistan kills 12, suicide bombing in Afghanistan kills 7
    Thursday: Suicide bombers and terrorists kill at least 7 thus far in Indonesia

Quite a week so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

smash wrote: »

Seven explosions

Not really. If, as suspected, Jakarta is their doing, that'll be four suicide bomber attacks in four days in four different countries. They may also have destroyed the Turkish tourism industry, which isn't good for the future of its moderates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I think there are 3 bombers included in that too. Hopefully it will stay low.

Reports of 3 police too. So if it was 3 police and 3 bombers then as horrible as it is, it was a failed attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Awful stuff. As the most populous Muslim country in the world, Indonesia seems to have been spared this kinda stuff til now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The Mormons, up to no good as usual.

Let's not jump to conclusions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

c_man wrote: »
    Awful stuff. As the most populous Muslim country in the world, Indonesia seems to have been spared this kinda stuff til now.

Ehhh hello ?
    Bali attack in 2002 killed over 200 people.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

jmayo wrote: »
    Ehhh hello ?
    Bali attack in 2002 killed over 200 people.

Well yeah but I suppose I was more referring to recent ISIS rise, but point taken.

Advertisement