Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bichon Frise

• 14-01-2016 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone ,
    We have a small family and are looking for our first pet,growing up I always had a dog by my side ,in fact my faithful mixed bred Jeff I had from the age of two and he lived for 15 years ...still miss him 🙁
    So I think it's time my boys had a dog of there own,we live in a town but have a large garden ..looking for a nice indoor dog...a few people I know have Bichon Frise and they seem suited to our needs.
    Would anyone here had contacts details of a reputable breeder, not sure about getting one on done deal as can't be sure if they are ok or not or if in fact it's a puppy farm I am dealing with..I have looked in the animal shelters near us and they have nothing that would suit us.
    Even if people could give recommendations for other breeds that might suit us,want to do as much research before I buy as possible .
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

You're right about avoiding DD, many Bichons do come up there but many of questionable heritage and health.

They are a breed prone to skin issues from my experience. If you plan to buy one, I'd be leaning towards people who show their Bichons and are passionate about the breed.

Are you aware of the grooming a Bichon requires? Are you prepared to brush your dog every other day (legs, back, belly, head, ears, the works)? Are you aware how much grooming/clipping a Bichon costs generally speaking and how often you have to do it? It's a necessary cost in order to have a happy dog.

Are you looking for a puppy? Even if you're not looking for a puppy, from time to time some breeders look to rehome their older dogs. Contacting the club secretary would be my first port of call: http://www.ikc.ie/dog-ownership/types-of-dog/breeds/breed-details/162/

I know of a few rescues with adult Bichons looking for homes. If you're interested let me know and I'll message you the links to them. :)

If you are still open to looking at different breeds a little more background information would be helpful. As in what your dog's day to day schedule (exercise schedule, any other activities you'd do with your dog, etc.) would be like, how much grooming would you be happy about doing, how long your dog would be left alone, do you own your home or does the landlord's lease allow pets... would be a few questions of importance when getting a dog.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

VonVix wrote: »
    You're right about avoiding DD, many Bichons do come up there but many of questionable heritage and health.

They are a breed prone to skin issues from my experience. If you plan to buy one, I'd be leaning towards people who show their Bichons and are passionate about the breed.

Are you aware of the grooming a Bichon requires? Are you prepared to brush your dog every other day (legs, back, belly, head, ears, the works)? Are you aware how much grooming/clipping a Bichon costs generally speaking and how often you have to do it? It's a necessary cost in order to have a happy dog.

Are you looking for a puppy? Even if you're not looking for a puppy, from time to time some breeders look to rehome their older dogs. Contacting the club secretary would be my first port of call: http://www.ikc.ie/dog-ownership/types-of-dog/breeds/breed-details/162/

I know of a few rescues with adult Bichons looking for homes. If you're interested let me know and I'll message you the links to them. :)

If you are still open to looking at different breeds a little more background information would be helpful. As in what your dog's day to day schedule (exercise schedule, any other activities you'd do with your dog, etc.) would be like, how much grooming would you be happy about doing, how long your dog would be left alone, do you own your home or does the landlord's lease allow pets... would be a few questions of importance when getting a dog.

Thanks so much for your reply, yes we have priced grooming it would work out at 40 euro a month and brushing and that we are prepared to do...
    A puppy would be ideal would definitely look to rehome the right dog,we have a few friends and family members with bichons and they seem ideal family dogs.
    As for other breeds, I am a stay at home dad so somebody in the house nearly all of the time ,we have two children aged 6 and 9 ...we own our own home and I walk for an hour every morning so no problem with walking the dog...it will be a house dog only but have a large Secure garden with about quarter acre of lawn/meadow.
    My wife's parents have a large property in the country and we have spoken to them about minding our dog for holiday time ,they have there own dogs and would be happy to mind our dog while we are away.
    We would have no problem with a home visit from anyone selling a pup or is rehoming a dog as I understand people need to be reassured that the dog is going to a good home...
    Would prefer a short haired dog if possible but grooming is not a problem ..I have looked after my mothers King Charles and cocker spaniel while she was in Hosptial for a few months..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I would just do a little bit of reading up on Bichon Frise and separation anxiety and ways to minimise the risks of the behaviour developing. They are prone to it and I know of several families who have had to deal with the issue, two for whom it became an unmanageable and distressing problem.

Neither of them were forewarned or armed so research is the way to go. This addresses it briefly but I'm sure others here can point you in the direction of risk-limiting advice and material.

They are lovely dogs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

VonVix wrote: »

God that's horrific. The bitch can't breed anymore so they just give her away!? And people say breeders aren't in it for the money only :rolleyes:

OP you could go have a look around at a few shelters they may Bichons for rehoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Irishchick wrote: »
    God that's horrific. The bitch can't breed anymore so they just give her away!?

Where are you getting that from?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

We got one when I was 12 years of age and he was apart of my life until he was eventually put down 15 years later.

I still miss him to this day.

You may notice a small apricot patch on the body of the pup. This is normal.

Their temperament is great, feisty at times but very friendly and happy dogs and absolutely LOVE exercise. Grooming is a must. We left ours with friends while on holidays and he came back matted after just a week. And believe me, you'll know all about it if their not groomed, they'll be sure to let you know !

Watch out for sleep in their eyes and try and clear it out as it can stain their face when it meets tears.

I'm extremely jealous ! :)

Hi
    Thanks for all the info, we are going to look at a litter on Saturday...they are friends of friends and this is the first litter...have all the papers and the bitch is the family pet and both parents are with the puppies..
    Is there anything I should look out for when viewing the puppies and which is better to choose a dog or bitch...we won't be breeding them...
    We did look into a rescue dog but none suited us as they were all very big dogs probably the reason they are in a shelter in the first place all lovely dogs and hard to leave empty handed but we need to make sure we pick the right dog for us and our house and the space we have...
    We did look at a bitch that someone was trying to rehome but there was something not quiet right about her...she had 3 litters previously...
    Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

harr wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks for all the info, we are going to look at a litter on Saturday...they are friends of friends and this is the first litter...have all the papers and the bitch is the family pet and both parents are with the puppies..
    Is there anything I should look out for when viewing the puppies and which is better to choose a dog or bitch...we won't be breeding them...
    We did look into a rescue dog but none suited us as they were all very big dogs probably the reason they are in a shelter in the first place all lovely dogs and hard to leave empty handed but we need to make sure we pick the right dog for us and our house and the space we have...
    We did look at a bitch that someone was trying to rehome but there was something not quiet right about her...she had 3 litters previously...
    Thanks again

Make sure all the relevant health tests have been carried out on both parents, and this is not just your normal vet checks. Im not totally familiar with the breed specific tests for Bichons but i think eye tests could be one of them.
    Make sure you see proof of the certs that were carried out with the results on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Including what andreac has said...
    Hi
    Thanks again

Be sure that the puppies have had their first vaccinations and are microchipped prior to bringing one of them home.
    Do not bring home a puppy that is any younger than 8 weeks old, there any many reasons for this, I can go through them with you and give you links if you like.

The male/female thing is largely preference. I know personally I like males more and have had better experiences dealing with male dogs, I have three males myself for that reason. I tend to find them cuddlier and softer than females, but that is ONLY my experience, not fact as far as I'm aware. I also wouldn't be able to hack dealing with her going into heat, I'd much rather deal with testosterone!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

I've come across lovely bichons in rescues, often looking for a new home because their owners have emigrated. When you adopt an adult bichon you will have a great idea of what their personality is like and how they get on with kids. Unfortunately children can be unintentionally rough with bichon puppies which makes them fearful and possibly snappy.

However if you have made the decision to go with a puppy I would advise checking if the parent dogs have allergies. After owning two bichons I know from experience that allergies can be awful for the dog and financially awful for the owner. Check the parent dogs for red staining around the feet, dogs with allergies tend to lick their feet a lot and a lot of bichons will have staining. Another common ailment is Luxating Patella which is when the knee goes in and out of place, uncomfortable for the dog and an expensive operation to fix. Like allergies you won't become aware of it until the dog is more than a year old usually. These conditions are not unusual, one of my bichons had both and we were constantly at the vet. That is why so many people would advise only getting a pure bred dog from a top class breeder and not from a friend of a friend. I am talking from experience here, I've had two bichons and I've talked to and met many, many other bichon owners.

Please get insurance as soon as you get the dog, once you've been to the vet and they have diagnosed an illness it's too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

tk123 wrote: »
    Where are you getting that from?!

The poster above my original post referring to breeders who re-home dogs just because they can't breed anymore.

OP no matter where you get the dog I second the insurance thing. Bichon's are one of the dogs I see a lot in the clinic for allergies and knee issues so insurance is a must for them and you must get it right away because if you got to the vet and problems are found they will be classed as pre-existing and you won't be covered.

Also some insurance companies will not cover certain conditions in certain breeds so make sure to check that whatever company you go with will cover these issues.

Went to view puppies last night on my own without the kids, and they all look fine ...they all come with a full check from the vet and they had a full health check from the vet for the parents, they are microchipped,fully vaccinated and IKC registered.
    They are now 8 weeks old and will be collecting next week...they are house dogs and have been started with house training...
    The lady selling them would like to visit our house to make sure they are going to a good home...is this standard practice ?
    We have got some Insurance quotes, what company's are best for this not necessarily looking for cheapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

I think its been covered already, but make sure to take the separation anxiety into account with Bichons. We have a lovely little guy, but made the mistake of being too close to him, we get him babysat every day while we're at work (Mum's glad of the company but it's still odd!). Still, they're a great breed and we wouldn't change him for the world :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

They never mentioned dogs not being able to breed any more. The reason reputable breeders sometimes have adult dogs for rehoming (they don't give them away for free either) is that they insist that any pup they sold comes back to them if at any stage in it's life the original owner is unable to keep the dog any more for what ever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Irishchick wrote: »
    The poster above my original post referring to breeders who re-home dogs just because they can't breed anymore.

No they said they look to re-home older dogs from time to time which is why I was wondering why you were assuming it was because they couldn't breed from it any more. A responsible breeder will always take a dog back at any stage in it's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

That is a great sign that she wants to do a home check. Insurance wise, there are not that many companies in Ireland doing pet insurance, some policies are accident and injury only but with a bichon you will probably want to get lifelong illnesses cover which is more expensive. I'm sorry if I sounded very negative in my last post but my puppy also was health checked (I had the paperwork from the vet) and I saw the parents. She had a fabulous personality and I adored her but she cost me a fortune in vet fees and terribly frustration at not being able to cure her allergies. They are really great dogs, love their walks when they get bigger and have a lovely thick coat for the cold. Lots of positives to owning a bichon but there are challenges with separation anxiety. Best of luck and I hope your puppy brings you many years of happiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

There is a Bichon in our local rescue at the moment. Met him at the vets yesterday. He has terrible skin, separation anxiety (he barked all day at the vets as there was no one with him in the kennels) and he would pee in your ear. All the pitfalls of a Bichon, really. :( He's a lovely dog but he is going to be hard work for whoever adopts him. Tread carefully with Bichons, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

and they had a full health check from the vet for the parents, they are microchipped,fully vaccinated and IKC registered.
    They are now 8 weeks old and will be collecting next week.
    We have got some Insurance quotes, what company's are best for this not necessarily looking for cheapest.

Heartened to hear she wants to visit you at home. Just as an FYI, at eight weeks old they are not fully vaccinated. And while the parents of the puppies looked ostensibly healthy to the vet, that doesn't mean they are not carrying heriditary diseases that they may have passed on to their puppies. You have to dig a little deeper for that.

Personally after some bad experiences and also as a vet nurse, I wouldn't go with anyone but Allianz for pet insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Went to view puppies last night on my own without the kids, and they all look fine ...they all come with a full check from the vet and they had a full health check from the vet for the parents, they are microchipped,fully vaccinated and IKC registered.
    They are now 8 weeks old and will be collecting next week...they are house dogs and have been started with house training...
    The lady selling them would like to visit our house to make sure they are going to a good home...is this standard practice ?

Its great that they have been seen by a vet, but that isn't what is meant by health tests. Different breeds may suffer from various genetic issues, and there are tests available for breeders to try and minimise these issues being passed on to pups. It looks like Bichon's aren't too bad, although cataracts can be an issue, so dogs should be tested annually, have you seen any paperwork that he parents have had these tests? http://www.dogbreedhealth.com/bichon-frise/

Its brilliant that the woman wants to visit your house, that is a really good sign. Ask what their policy is if your circumstances change and the pup has to be rehomed at any time in the future. A good breeder will take a dog back that they have bred, no matter how old the dog is.

Exciting times for you and your family, enjoy your pup :)

No problem bringing dog back if problems come up and I can have that in writing if I want , she has full health checks for mother and father and she did mention that certain checks were carried out on both....will study these in a bit more detail when I pick dog up...she recommend Allianz for insurance and she said a vet check at least once a year was needed for insurance.
    I have the poor woman driven mad with questions but she seems happy I am asking them...
    She even has paper work belonging to the pups grandparents and she has made copy of everything to give to us..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Hi
    Thanks again

Please keep us posted I have 2 Bichons one is 13 (Charly) and one is 3 (Taylor) and I can honestly say they are the best things ever happened to us. I had never heard of the breed and I can only assume some divine intent happened that day we chose Cha we would always choose a bichon again so loyal adorable and incredibly bossy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

No problem bringing dog back if problems come up and I can have that in writing if I want , she has full health checks for mother and father and she did mention that certain checks were carried out on both....will study these in a bit more detail when I pick dog up...she recommend Allianz for insurance and she said a vet check at least once a year was needed for insurance.
    I have the poor woman driven mad with questions but she seems happy I am asking them...
    She even has paper work belonging to the pups grandparents and she has made copy of everything to give to us..

It sounds like you've found a good breeder, I hope you realise that one of the rules of this forum is that you have to post photos of your new arrival :D

Just picked up our little man last week and it's going great, got him checked in vets and all good..I am at home most of the day with him,we use a crate when we are out for an hour or so.
    He also sleeps in crate overnight and is now not needing to go outside between 11 and 6 is great and not a noise out of him all night...
    At the moment he needs to go toilet every two hours and is not yet letting us know he needs to go out but we can tell by his body language.
    He does like to chill out on our laps in the evenings and gets upset when we tell him no... Trying to stop him chewing our feet,shoes and sleepers now and his little bites...would people recommend puppy training ?
    One thing I am struggling with is getting him to move on the lead any tips would be great...
    Have not got a clue how to post a photo..:confused:

Advertisement