Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple trade in ?

• 14-01-2016 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭

I got an email this morning from Apple about trading in my old iphone and getting credit towards a new phone.

I this legit or a fake email? I haven't heard of this program

Apple <News_Europe@InsideApple.Apple.com>

Today at 9:33 AM

Message body

Trade up to a new iPhone.

Get up to €445 to use towards the purchase of a new iPhone. Just tell us about your device online and receive an Apple Store Gift Card.1

Trade in now

Shop Online | Find a Store | 1 800 92 38 98 | Get the Apple Store App

1. You must be at least 18 years old to be eligible to trade in for an Apple Store Gift Card. More specific details are available from Apple’s approved partner for the trade-in and recycling of eligible devices. Restrictions and limitations may apply. Not all devices are eligible for credit. Payments are based upon the received device matching the description you provided when your estimate was made. Online and in-store values may vary.

Apple Distribution International, Hollyhill Industrial Estate, Cork, Ireland. Company Registration number: 470672. VAT number: IE9700053D.

All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | My Apple ID

TM and copyright © 2016 Apple Inc.

If you would prefer not to receive commercial email from Apple, or if you have changed your email address, please click here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I think it's genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

It links to the Apple website, hardly fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Yea its genuine, Its on there main website also in the iphone section, But the link for "Trade in your smartphone" doesn't work.

The link eventually worked for me after trying a number of times but when it did and I entered my IMEI on the site that loaded up it said that my device wasn't found (iPhone 6s), all a bit strange really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The link from the main apple site goes to https://appleonlineirl.mpxltd.co.uk/ which doesn't work and http://www.mpxltd.co.uk/ is blank with a message that just says "Hello GlobalSign"

A bit odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

The site is super slow. I've tried it a couple of times.

Domain name:
    mpxltd.co.uk

Registrant:
    Mobile Phone Xchange Ltd

Registrant type:
    UK Limited Company, (Company number: 5297206)

They must be paying a pretty penny to apple for the privilege of front page advertising and referral services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

For what seems to not be working at all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I tried it after getting me the email and no matter how many times I tried it kept saying the serial/imei couldn't be found.

Tried it again, it won't work unless you disable find my iPhone. Valued my 16gb 6 at €350.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's legit, the server to that 3rd party was down / slow when people got the mail. I'd imagine this was sent to everyone who bought an iPhone 6 through a U.K. Apple Store. No wonder they servers couldn't stay up.

seems to be working now for me.

guil wrote: »
    Tried it again, it won't work unless you disable find my iPhone. Valued my 16gb 6 at €350.

Does it have terms and conditions to say that the phone must be brand new out of the box to get this price? I can't imagine a 16gb phone with a bit of wear and tear would get that price from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It asks the condition of different parts of the phone and says normal wear and tear is ok. They give a price but then they check the phone first to make sure it's as you say. Once confirmed they send you an apple gift card to use towards an upgrade.

I have an IPhone 6 Plus 64GB White and was offered €415

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

it's legit, the server to that 3rd party was down / slow when people got the mail. I'd imagine this was sent to everyone who bought an iPhone 6 through a U.K. Apple Store. No wonder they servers couldn't stay up.

Bought our iPhone 6 from the Belfast Store. Havent received an email :(

kceire wrote: »
    Bought our iPhone 6 from the Belfast Store. Havent received an email :(
    email shots like this can take up to a day to get to everyone, if they sent out all the mail at the same time they'd be blocked as a spammer by the majority of mail servers :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

smash wrote: »
    Does it have terms and conditions to say that the phone must be brand new out of the box to get this price? I can't imagine a 16gb phone with a bit of wear and tear would get that price from them.

I got the same value, same phone, and when selecting it it says the phone can have light marks on it. so no doesnt need to be brand new

I got mine from Vodafone. I got the email three times, one for each Apple ID. Only one has ever been used on iPhone.

guil wrote: »
    I got mine from Vodafone. I got the email three times, one for each Apple ID. Only one has ever been used on iPhone.

Me too, bill with Vodafone, not purchased from Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I got it too but the link doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Oops my mistake...Never mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

That's a genuine Apple address.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ckblackrock

big_drive wrote: »
    I got an email this morning from Apple about trading in my old iphone and getting credit towards a new phone.

I this legit or a fake email? I haven't heard of this program

Looks fake to me - InsideApple is unlikely to be a a real Apple address IMO. Always go to the Apple site by typing the apple.com / apple.ie etc address in your browser, and look for the offer there.

Advertisement