Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The plan seems to be that they think Zappe and Cunningham pass through waivers and then we add them to the practice squad.

Thornton and Reiff will likely go on IR today, opening up to roster spots. Ty Montgomery and Calvin Munson may be earmarked for those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No use having QBs on the practice squad on gameday. I don't think Zappe will make it through waivers. I could see the 49ers snapping him up, hes very similar to to Purdy.

You're allowed elevate two practice squad players to the gameday roster each week. The max you can elevate any player is 3 times.

They are obviously happy to take the risk of Zappe not clearing waivers. Seems like madness to me as well given how well he played in those games last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

I suspect they want a different QB and are waiting till they get those players onto IR. You can't have QB2 on the practice squad. I mean you can but it means he could be taken off it by another team the week before you need them. They may want both on the practice squad but they are obviously ok with losing both/either if it happens. However I would bet a lot of money they will have a 2nd QB on the roster before week 1 and it seems like it will be someone outside the organisation.

I am surprised as well. I had assumed Zappe would make the squad and Malik would be on the PS. Zappe has been pretty terrible in the preseason though which I guess hurt his trade stock. I am not sure the 49ers want to carry 3 QBs on the active roster. I guess he is struggling with the new NE system but he seems like a smart kid and did do well with the gameplan he was given last season but it was limited and didn't take long for the wheels to come off.

The preseason means nothing. Many players have stunk up the joint in preseason and gone on to have great seasons.

You often see a guy look awesome in preseason and he's cut before the season starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Coreyhotline

Seems like Zappe cleared waivers and is back on the practice squad. You can scratch my previous comments about Bill possibly identifying some loophole with regard to the emergency qb, after doing some more reading it seems you must have 3 qbs on the roster in order for the 3rd to count as the emergency one. Big takeaway from all this is that we're carrying 11 linemen (about 3 more than usual) of which 6 are tackles. At this stage, my assumption is that Brown, Strange, Andrews and Onwenu are nailed on starters, but because of the failure for anyone to emerge as a RT, we are carrying extra linemen to cover both guard and tackle, depending on where Onwenu and possibly Brown end up playing (I'm assuming the first choice of those 2 playing RT would be Onwenu, but they might consider switching Brown if they feel more comfortable with their left tackle options).

We're also carrying 12 true DBs (I don't count Schooler as one, but Mapu is enough of a LB/safety tweener to be considered one), which seems like a lot.

The 2 TE, 2RB thing does worry me. Might be that this all shakes out once they've a better idea of who their 5th lineman is, suspect we might cut one or two OL then and bring in a TE and/or RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I was very disappointed to see Zappe and Malik cut for different reasons. Glad to see Zappe back at least.

I'm starting to think Bill O'Brien is in total control of the offense. There's no way Bill would cut Malik Cunningham. He loves guys that can play multiple positions.

I'm not saying that Malik should not have been cut, I'm saying BB would hold onto him.

Also it might be a smart move leaving only Mac on the roster for a short time for his confidence. You are telling him he's the guy without question.

Zappe got a lot of support from the fans last year, not having him around for a while tells the fans he's not as good as you think.

Pre season matters. I mean sure a player can get over pee season mistakes and play really well but coaches need to make decisions and so training and pre season has to factor in to that.

Other teams will also be looking at his tape as well when deciding on waivers. It depends on the tape and what coaches want to see from a particular player more than the end results or stats. Other factors will come into cutting a player but it is a factor.

Occasionally you get times like Greier who was effectively cut before the game but they wanted to help him get a new job.

Matt Corral added. I like that signing a lot. I really liked him in college, felt he'd make it in the NFL eventually.

• Advertisement

What happens during TC is important but not in preseason games.

If it was important the starters would play a lot more.

TB12 often stunk up the joint in the few plays he did have.

The coaches make their decisions base on what happens in TC.

They don't play the starters because the starters aren't at risk of getting cut. The actual result does not matter, more the process of how you do in game.

Plus it gets tape for other teams if you get cut since they don't see the full TC.

I don't mean to suggest it matters for the likes of Brady or even Mac a massive amount. It is more about the bottom of the roster and seeing the close decisions in actual games to try and make a choice.

Its a good signing but I'd have seen both Zappe and especially Malik having more upside. If you just want someone to hold a clipboard and run the backup reps Corral can do that no doubt but I guess it depends what you want from a backup QB. I dont think Corral would challenge for the starter job but there is a world where Malik could be the starter.

Onwenu and Strange both ruled out. Could be a rough night for a makeshift OL against that Eagles DL. At least the backups have got plenty snaps in xsmp and preseason I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

The hottest of garbage so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Mac has picked up where he left off

Much better now. Mac is cooking. 10 straight completions with 2 TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Well.... that was a much improved 2nd quater

Tom into the Patriots Hall of Fame. Kraft waiving the usual 4 year wait.

Questionable call to go for it on 4th down only 17 yards out

Only 8 points adrift yeah could tie with a TD but a field goal make things alot easier with plenty of time left.

• Advertisement

And that decision has led to another eagles field goal and now gap is 11

Pure dog sh*t since the turnover. Waste of a gifted opportunity.

What a dissapointing ending, were given two gifts to win the game and couldn't even come close to scoring on either.

Encouraging to come back from 0-16 down but when the chips were down the offense fell short.... twice

Yeah, that was one we should of taken. The Eagles tried their best to gift it but couldn't take advantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Such a frustrating loss, agree we absolutely left that one out there. That sequence in the 3rd, where we were driving well only to go penalty, penalty, tackle out of FG range was killer.

Shades of the 2015 afccg and SB 42, with Bill passing up a chip shot fg, which ends up costing us. I was impressed over all with the performance. Boutte gets both feet down and who knows?

Where to begin with that one? Turnovers cost us hugely then when Gonzalez makes an excellent one they have a TD on the board 2 minutes later. Frustrating

Same old shite really.

Defence is championship calibre but just can't carry an offence with such a woeful offensive line and potentially the worst WR group in the league.

We've the worst strength of schedule of opponent's in the NFL. Not a bad team, just missing a WR1 and a tackle really.

I counted it last night on multiple plays,1/1000 2/1000, if the ball isn't gone by then Mac is getting sacked.

Mac completed 74% of his throws last night but a lot of them were short throws because he couldn't wait for anybody to get down the field most of the night

Mac certainly isn't the problem.

I'm still wondering why we didn't address our offensive line in the draft and/or free agency.

• Advertisement

I'm watching my guy Dawand Jones absolutely bossing it at right tackle for the Browns.

Why we didn't take him I'll never know, he wasn't picked until the fourth round.

Will Grier signed to the 53 man, had to be as we took.him off the Bengals practice squad.

Move makes no sense to me. Some suggesting it's to get ready for the Cowboys in a couple of weeks. He was cut right before the regular season after spending two years there.

That game was a tough, tough watch. 2 good defences against 2 wretched offences.

Was like time stopped still when that ball went to Cobb. Looked like a game that could of been lost after controlling it for so long. Need to find something on Offense, Mac is actually doing alright.

I'd have a hard time arguing with anyone who says we have the worst offence in the NFL.

Judon is likely out for the year now too.

Bring on Caleb Williams.

• Advertisement

Bring on Caleb Williams for what? To play behind a **** OL with no run game or decent receivers. Bring on a new head coach and a proper GM more like.

It all starts with the offensive line which cannot pass protect or open holes for the run.

And as much as I hate to say it, that's on Bill. The whole world knew this was a huge problem and the most important area of need after last season. Bill takes defenders with the first three picks in the draft and doesn't address our biggest issue in FA either.

Jones apologised for his performance last night. I didn't hear Zappe apologising despite only having a 44% completion rate on his nine throws. Mac threw 21 throws with twelve completions.

Average run got 2.3 yards.

I still believe Mac is the guy. I may be wrong about that but anybody saying he's not, well you just can't say that until such time as he gets at least an average offensive line in front of him.

That was the worst defeat of Belichick's Patriots career and he has nobody but himself to blame.

I think Mac can work if he had good pieces around him. Mac in SF or Minnesota is killing it, Mac in Foxboro is not. We don't have a single player who makes you sit up and lean forward with anticipation. We're exactly the sort of team that you'd half watch Brady beat on cruise control on a Sunday afternoon.

I don't see Bill breaking Shula's record, unless something incredible happens. Too poor to win, too good to tank and get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Man I have a hard time believeing Mac Jones is the guy long term. We're currently projected pikc 7 next year, should definitely be looking to get to Maye if we can

We have to go after offensive tackles and a guard with our first three picks next year. Either that or spend big money in FA to fix it.

Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow, Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen would all look awful behind our offensive line.

Even the GOAT would look awful.

• Advertisement

Gonzalez with a torn labrum. That's him done for the year. Judon out for an extended period too.

Things are going to get uglier.

To be honest this year is a write off at this point. Defense looked good in flashes and the run game hasnt been atrocious either except the last game.

I'd like us to do one of two things at this point. 1 - if we are still persisting with the notion that Mac has anything left to develop to get beyond a low to mid tier QB, then give him this year to show it. 2- if not, then give the reins to Zappe and see what he can do. I like Zappe but there isnt really much between the two options. Watching each of them play it would be tough to be 110% sure which was the first rounder.

In either of those cases, we either ball out, or we move on with a higher draft pick at the end of the experiment. BB needs to realise that the only reason hist patchwork and veteran minimum strategy worked was because of Brady. Shock horror, without the goat at QB you need to build a team!

Some come down to know your season is over after 4 weeks.

How can any QB show what he has behind an awful offensive line and with a less than stellar set of receivers? As I said earlier, you could put any QB in our team and they'd look bad. We have a horrendous line and we don't have a Diggs, Wilson, Hill or Waddle.

And it wasn't just because of Brady that things worked great. He was a huge part of it but he had Matt Light when he won his first three Superbowls, he had Nate Solder and Seabass then Marcus Cannon. Those were proper offensive tackles and we had a very good interior during all our Superbowl winning years too.

As for Zappe, he did well for two games but got found out then and has done nothing since.

I'm not saying Zappe is the answer, far from it. But we've not given him game time. This season is a write off so we should use it to learn. Theres no difference between 2 wins and 7-9 wins. Other than a better draft slot. I agree we also need O line, but we've needed that for years. The team is set up fine to be run first with a good defense. Run well and play action off it. This is why I don't rate jones at all. Any QB who looks like he's running for his life in the NFL is part of the problem. Regardless of o-line.

If we end up with the first pick in the draft then it's Mac we want. We'll get Caleb Williams and he'll be sat for a year, we'll then go out and get an offensive line and win more Superbowls.

Of course we have the Raiders, Steelers, Broncos and Jets again so we may not even have a top five pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭passatman86

My post is not interesting what so ever - but in around 2004 i bought a New England Patriots jacket and wore the sh1t out of it - loved that jacket in the cold months for a few years

In c.2001 I randomly rented Madden from xtravision, picked "random team" and the drew bledsoe led patriots were who I ended up with. This is how I ended up a pats fan. I learned the rules of the game from the video game, at the start I didnt understand why people punted!

Well my story is very boring. I started watching the NFL highlights show in 1983. I liked the 49ets because of Montana and Jerry Rice.

Then I spent the summer in Boston. I was brought to Celtics games and brought down to Foxboro Stadium. A billionaire friend of my uncle brought us there and I was introduced to Stanley Morgan and John Hannah who were two long time Patriots players and legends. After that I was a Patriots fan for life.

That same billionaire brought me to a game in 1995 when I moved over there, he had four seats. I was the only one with him. He loved my passion and how much I knew about the game and told me I was going to every home game for the rest of the season.

At the end of the season he asked me if I would be going to another game and I told him I'd be at every game. He told me I should get a season ticket and I asked him how I'd go about doing that that. He told me he'd look after it for me and I could pay him afterwards. I met him in August and he told me he had organised my ticket and said it was pretty pricey, $800 for the season but he got me a seat beside his four. At that time you'd get a seat at the back if the stadium for $50. I was delighted even though it was a lot of money for me back then. Anyway I was proud to be a season ticket holder and was sitting about twenty rows back which was great.

I genuinely thought that the price I was paying was what those seats cost. I was at the man's funeral when he died and talking to his son. He said his dad loved me because I made the whole gameday experience exciting. He told me his dad told him that he charged me $800 for those tickets because he felt I couldn't afford much more and he wanted me there. He told me the tickets cost $3000.

I didn't pay much heed to him saying how exciting I made the game. I was at plenty of games after that and got on well with everybody, but in 2015 I went to the opening game of the season with my wife. It was a big game because they had won the Superbowl the season before and were raising the flag.

Anyway it was almost impossible to get tickets but we managed to get two way up in the sticks.

So the game started and not long after the Patriots had a 3rd and 1. I got up and shouted at a couple of Steelers fans not far away that it's a QB sneak and that their team knows it's going to happen but they can't do anything about it. The guys in the seats in front of me laughed and the Patriots got the first down and I got a high five from one of them.

Then I called a play before it happened, it was a 2nd and 10 and I said out loud 'give it to Gronk and let him drag the defenders down the field'. They gave it to Gronk and he caught it and dragged defenders with him for about ten yards. All the guys in front of me turned around and high fived me, then I got a tap on the shoulder from behind and the same thing happened.

And this went on the the whole game. After we left the stadium and sat in the car my wife said to me that she never in her life ever seen anything like it. She said if she'd taken a video of it that I'd get free tickets for life from people.

So I guess I do make it more exciting. It's just that I love it so much and want them to win so much and I just can't shut up. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭passatman86

I think i seen that movie ha ha - only joking great story man

• Advertisement
Advertisement