Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah I only meant to share the bit about how it became a fan but regaled my whole story.😳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

JC Jackson back. Swap of 5th and 6th round picks with the Chargers. He's been very underwhelming since leaving but forced to do something with the injuries back there

He'll be great here again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

Very weird game from Mac. Yes there are issues with facing a great defense with offensive line and receiver issues but frequently the issues started before the line was beat. There was no pressure on the pick 6 and he was struggling getting enough power for the first throw across his body so why did he go to it again. Pretty much every drop back right from the start he hit is back foot and then immediately bounced out of his stance into some weird sideways stance. He had at least two drops when he started running straight with his drop back without giving the routes a chance.

I don't get it because for his flaws he has great footwork, he doesn't (sometimes can't) bail from a pocket too early and run and I don't remember him throwing across the field like that for the completion and the pick 6. I don't know if he was trying to be a QB he just isn't or if started seeing ghosts in warm ups. In any case a day to forget and not really learn from unless anything becomes a habit.

I am not saying it is all his fault by any means, he is just the one I am analysing and I am trying to separate his performance from the rest of the team's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

They've not given Mac a chance. Year 2 was ruined by the Patricia/Judge debacle, and they've put nothing around him this year. They let his favourite receiver (Meyers) walk in favour of Juju who has done nothing so far. The OL is terrible and our WR corps is full of #2 and #3 receivers. You're supposed to help your young QB, using the savings on his contract to put a support cast around him, but they've made a mess of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Ryland is 4/8 on FGs this year.

Nick Folk is 10/10.

Think we got that one wrong!

We're onto 2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Bill needs to go. It's that simple

Pathetic all around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So I'm now all for embracing the tank, if I wasnt before. 3 points in two games is pathetic. Time to bench Mac.

I dont buy into this hyperbole at all. You don't become a bad coach overnight. He needs a strong GM to come in, someone who is good at drafting offensive players. We've not drafted a good WR since edelman, and he was drafted as a QB. We've had a strong o line for years, so strong that even when backups came in there wasnt a dropoff. We havent replaced Scar and his work on the o line. Defensively we are pretty ok, but our two best players are now injured for the season. Gonzalez is looking a great draft pick. We also havent replaced mcdaniels - who, despite being an awful HC, is a great OC.

We could do with d line and lb help as Judon is in his 30's.

We never had good WR1s, not since the Moss/Welker days. We always run a good bit of 12 personnel, have a strong running game and a good QB to manage the game. That was what Brady's role was especially towards the end. He took mediocre teams to the playoffs and beyond, based on his reading of defenses. Mac didnt have to be Brady, he just had to read the defense pre snap and make adjustments accordingly. We need a Cousins type QB who can manage the game at a top level. Jones isnt that, and I don't think he ever will be. Play Zappe for the rest of the year, draft a QB next draft high, and some players on both lines. Sign a WR1 and pay him $$$ while we have a new QB on rookie scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Coreyhotline

I’d been holding my tongue until the OL got a run of games to see if we had anything, but last night was an out and out shitshow.

The best description I saw for our current situation was in a barnwell article last week where he said the offence is not dysfunctional like last year, but instead looks hopeless, which is even worse. Just about sums it up, interior OL can’t stay healthy, our tackles particularly on the right side are a carousel, mac is playing appallingly, and our receivers struggle to get open. I think at this stage mac is done, his key selling point was that while he might not have as high a ceiling as other qbs in his draft class, he had a pretty high floor. That’s clearly not the case now. Even leaving aside the ints and fumbles, his throws are just too slow coming out or off. Case in point, against Dallas, Parker was open on 2 different crossing routes. On the first, Parker had to visibly decelerate because the ball wasn’t coming. By the time it did, the cb had closed the gap and broke up the play. On the next crosser hour the opposite direction, again Parker had a step but mac led him too far. I don’t really see that we can fix him, particularly with that ol and those receivers. When your qb is struggling, your other talent can help him out, but we really don’t have any real talent (except for flashes of Douglas).

I’m not gone on playcalling so far this season on either side. Case in point, I thought Bryant was hung out to dry for that first Dallas td. The whole stadium and probably the whole world knew that ball was going over the top to lamb, safety coverage should have been there to bracket lamb and just wasn’t. Funnily enough, Bryant and wade have been very serviceable for cb5 and cb6.

on the offensive side, we don’t have “the guy” and we don’t seem to have a gotta have it play. I don’t care if Parker was out, if your gotta have it play is throwing a sideline out to a rookie who has never caught a ball and who was on the bubble up until the last few weeks of preseason, then things are not good. You’d imagine that our gotta have it play should revolve around Henry or bourne, but seemingly not.

I don’t think the drum is beating for bill to go just yet, it really depends on whether he can get the team to play hard going forward. If the team is playing hard and executing well, despite talent deficit, I imagine he gets to the end of the season and then either agrees to a new gm coming in with full power, or leaves because he won’t swallow it. However, if we get another shellacking next week or in 2 weeks time, I could envisage a scenario where bill either goes or gets sent off in the season.

irrespective of who’s at the helm next season, we need massive talent upgrades. God forbid we end up with pick 1, if there’s a qb we like a little bit lower, I’d like to see us trade the 1 for 2 other high picks, as we really need top end talent at qb, OT, WR and possibly Edge rusher too (judon doesn’t have long left on the clock). Funnily enough, was reading an article recently about what teams looked for when building a successful franchise, and these were the 4 key positions identified (think it was bill Walsh or George seifert, can’t remember). We don’t have any of these right now.

finally, I started supporting the pats in 84, again through the rte highlights show. I picked them because they are from Boston, so were the closest thing to the Irish team. I also had a millionaire grand uncle who lived in Boston. He never bought me a game ticket, never mind a season ticket. I guess that’s a real world demonstration of the difference between a millionaire and a billionaire right there!😀

How much rope do you give someone who has consistently failed to correct the same issues? These issues with drafting and the offense go back years. It's seemingly apparent that Bill only gives weight to the opinions of guys in his system or that he's worked with, which has led to miss after miss in the draft. Taking Harry over literally any other WR that year being an example. Accepting mediocrity in the hope that something will turn around is the sort of thing we made fun of other teams for.

I think you give him more rope than your average guy, and I don’t think things can’t change. However, it will require a level of humility on bill’s behalf that he may not have. Remember, for years we could not draft and develop cornerbacks to save our lives. Now, that seems to be the one thing we are good at. I know it seems like we need a fancy spangly new coaching genius like a McDermott, shanahan, McDaniel, etc. but I don’t see any of them with rings either, so it’s not like totally changing everything will deliver anything either. One other thing to remember is that we are spoiled, and in a system designed for parity, we are finally paying a price. Sure, we’ve had some stinking drafts, and some good drafts, but at the end of the day when your first pick is more often than not only the 30th best guy in the draft, eventually that has to catch up. I genuinely don’t know if we draft worse than any other team, look at the rams as an example, they went through a few years where they had a run of high first round picks and it didn’t really work out all that well for them (Bradford, Austin, brockers, Robinson, goff) Aside from Donald and kupp, it was imported talent that pushed them over the line. Look at a team like the Steelers, who have a great track record at drafting and developing receivers, but then seem to be shot of them after their first contract ends.

I definitely agree though that something needs to change, I’d prefer if it was bill changed his approach, but maybe he’s too old for that now.

I think the other thing is if we get a new guy, then a lot of the coaching and personnel structure have to go to. That could set us back 5/6 years. It’s not like we’re an underperforming team with bags of talent where the right coach could straighten the course, we’re a team with no offensive talent and a defence with sufficient talent to be coached to play at a high level (problem right now for the defence is injuries and the amount of time they’re spending on the field because of our inept offence, whatever about physical fatigue, they must be suffering from mental fatigue. Looking back at saints game, all bar one drive was 3-and-out or 6-and-out).

I'm in favour of benching Mac too to prevent him getting killed. Put him back in and a chance to prove himself when he has more than 1.5 seconds to find a receiver.

When have you seen Bill showing off a cocky side to him or an ego? He's the most grounded hard working coach in the league.

The problem is he favours improving the defense over the offense. We needed to spend two of our first three picks on offensive tackles, we didn't bring in any tackles worth a damn in the draft or free agency. This is the problem with Bill. He's a great coach but not a great man to draft offensive players. It's up to Bob Kraft to fix that.

• Advertisement

Listening to Julian Edelman on Cowherd's show the other day after the gooseegg loss summed it up well. Mac'splay is questionable and we dont have a wr1. Bill can't draft WRs on offense, while most recent defensive picks have panned out. Edelman even said (and how much of this is hindsight we'll never know) that it was clear from day 1 of training camp that the first round wrs werent worth the picks.

It's not just mac, but he's part of the problem. Fixing the QB problem is only part of it. We need a WR1 too.

Eagle eye, wasn’t suggesting bill is cocky, but equally admitting he’s not working out as gm would be a big climbdown for anyone. Anecdotally, bill is generally open to changing his approach on many things ( whatever’s best for the team), but given this offensive roster talent issue has been brewing for quite some time, I think he has a blind spot to this (probably not now after the last 2 weeks!). Bob Kraft will definitely fix this, the question remains whether bill will be part of that fix.

We're the worst team in the league, and there's no gimme wins on the schedule. At this point, we should seriously be considering looking to get one of the top QBs next draft. Season is done.

FFS, are you for real.

If we have the no.1 picks it's a no brainer, you take Williams but if we don't then trading back for a bunch of early picks and sorting out the offensive line and getting an elite receiver are far more important.

What former offensive co-ordinator has said that Mac Jones isn't good enough? I haven't heard anybody who knows the position say it. We've heard a defensive coach who became a head coach say it, Rex Ryan. He hasn't a clue about QBs.

And please don't try and sell me that Julian Edelman played the position in college so knows what he is talking about. He was more a runner than passer in college. He never threw for even 2000 yards.

Mac needs an offensuve line and weapons before he can be written off.

Mac's ceiling is at best a poorer Jimmy G. He could succeed, if he had all the tools around him, but we've seen time and again that he's not there guy to drag his team to win when the chips are down. He lacks elite physical talent, and his decision making, which was a positive early on, has regressed.

You're right in that the team needs to invest in an OL and WR, but there's a chance at bringing in an elite QB, you take it. Teams don't win in this league without one, simple as.

• Advertisement

I agree with this. He's at best a Jimmy G or Kirk Cousins level, but hasnt reached that even yet.

Time to move on. If in some magical world Mcdaniels is available after being fired in LV, we could trade back in next years draft and address o line and WR, and have him coach up Mac to be a competent game manager behind a competent OL and with a good running game. Otherwise I would prefer we went with a top 5 pick QB, and address the rest later in the draft

I think the reality of the NFL means Mac will be judged before getting a WR1 and o line.

In any case allowances have to be made for surrounding cast but you can start to judge a player based on how they played a situation. Obviously it is easier to not get frustrated when you are winning with good players around you but you can start to get an idea. Stats do need to be thrown out the window a bit.

How can you do an analysis on a QB who almost always has less than two seconds to get rid of the ball?

Stating facts about what he can do behind such an awful line seems baseless to me.

Go have a look at what he did in college behind a great line and tell me what you see.

I don't even know what you mean by physical talent?

He showed exceptional accuracy in college but he was throwing to Devonta Smith who is a hell of a lot better than anyone on the Patriots roster. He had great poise, he made excellent decisions all the time.

The only real tough game they had that season was against Florida in the SEC championship game and he threw a late TD pass to ensure the win. Florida came back and scored a very late one to cut it back to six points in the end.

He then torched Notre Dame in the college football playoffs throwing four TDs for over 400 yards and went insane against the Buckeyes in the National championship game throwing for over 450 yards and five TDs. I watched all those games and watched them a second time after we drafted him. I believed before the draft that he would be the second pick behind Lawrence.

Now I would never expect him to have a line as strong as what Alabama had but until such time as he has a decent OL there is no way anybody can tell how good or bad he is. He's trying to get completions but hasn't enough time to set properly to throw a good ball. You'll see things that make him look bad but it doesn't mean he is that bad because he is under pressure every single throw.

He was sacked 28 times in his rookie season, 34 times last season. He's on for matching last year's total this season. I don't know where I can get stats for hurries and pressures but I and everybody else knows they'll be massive numbers.

I remember reading about the Dolphins game where he had a 32.6 pressure rate and something like 15 hurries. And that's against a very poor Dolphins defense.

He's on the run a lot in every game and it's impossible to have a high completion rate in that situation unless you are Patrick Mahomes.

As I said I'm not saying he is the answer at QB for us but until such time as he gets a decent amount of time in the pocket and one decent receiver we won't know what he's like.

We can see the evidence of his physical limitations tho. He doesn't have great arm strength, which means he has to throw slower, arced balls on deep shots. He's fairly immobile, which limits his ability to extend plays when the OL gives way. His decision making and awareness have been poor so far, with some really ugly INTs. I appreciate that a bad OL is very complicit in that, but the fact remains that his ceiling is fundamentally limited, even with great weapons around him. I'd rather have a genuine elite talent on a rookie deal to build around than a mediocre talent.

Again, how do you do this analysis when he is on the run a lot and has no decent receiver? He's definitely a better runner than the GOAT ever was.

Brady never ran out of the pocket with success. Everybody said Brady had a weak arm until Randy Moss arrived.

Brady never played behind a crap line. He had time in the pocket and could extend it, usually by stepping up and then to his right. Mac doesn't have opportunities to do that. Mac doesn't have a Moss, Edelman, Branch or Welker. He doesn't even have a Faulk or White.

I'm not saying Mac is as good or anywhere close to Brady, I'd just like to see him have the same set up.

If you want a running QB then you can accept it's unlikely you'll ever win a Superbowl because, outside the freak of nature that is Patrick Mahomes, running QBs never win Superbowls.

Out of the last twenty Superbowls you have Mahomes with two, I suppose you could say Wilson was a runner but he only used it when he had no other option and the other seventeen were pocket passers and a lot of them couldn't move much including Brady, Stafford, the Mannings, Roethlisberger and Flacco,

How many of these 'ugly' ints would you put down to him being on the run or under pressure with no time?

How many of those ints would you put down to him having no time to check down?

How many of those ints would you say were third downs and long with the team over a touchdown behind and a sack coming if he didn't get rid of the ball?

We got a first round pick in the draft and never built around him. What makes you think they'd build around a new first round pick?

There is absolutely no basis for you determining that his ceiling is limited. You are not looking at the full picture.

Mac Jones threw deep balls at Alabama.

Below is just his TD throws from 2020. Tell me about his week arm, movement in the pocket, his arched shots in that video. If you want I can put up a video of every throw from one game.

Steve Young won the SB, Newton and Hurts were in the SB. The modern game is trending more and more towards athletic QBs.

You want to give Mac a chance, I don't see the point in continuing with him if there's an opportunity to get someone better.

Posting clips from his college career is meaningless. We have 3 years of evidence of his issues as a pro. Whatever he could have become if circumstances were different is irrelevant, he is what he is now. Let him go somewhere else to get another shot.

We have three years of evidence of him getting no protection.

Posting clips of his performance when having protection shows the difference. It's very meaningful.

I showed you how many pocket passers have won the Superbowl in the last twenty years. You come up with a couple of players who haven't won a Superbowl and then a guy from the 90's to back up your argument that athletic QBs are the modern way to go. Lol.

There is this belief out there that athletic QBs are best but those ayung those things are really talking about entertainment more than reality. Pocket passers beat running QBs almost all day everyday.

Mahomes is just ridiculous.

Outside of him give me Herbert or Burrow over all the rest. And if he keeps up what he's doing you can add Brock Purdy to that list.

Those athletic guys will do well in the regular season but when it comes to playoff time and they meet premium defenses they are in trouble unless it's Mahomes.

Athleticism is not just scrambling outside of the pocket, it's being able to make the types of throws Mac shows an inability to make week in, week out. He doesn't have the arm talent, his decision making has been poor and I don't see him improving this season.

Again, you cannot analyse a QB with an horrendous offensive line. Nothing you see is indicative of what he can do with time to process, check down, set to throw etc.

In the video I put up you can see impressive arm talent. You don't lose that by age 25.

Bailey Zappe has played in garbage time the last two games against backup defenses and his completion rate is 38.9%. How many QBs do you know with horrendous accuracy like that? Do you think he's that bad?

Mac's completion rate is 62.5%. That's not good either but I know why both have such bad stats.

And making all types of throws is called arm talent and strength, it's got nothing to do with athleticism.

• Advertisement

When you've no comeback take the easy way out. 😁

Out of interest, in what order would you rank Mac Jones, Daniel Jones, Jordan Love, Zach Wilson, Bryce Young and Kenny Pickett?

I wouldn't rank them at all, as none of them are at the required level to succeed in the NFL.

So this year's no.1 pick is written off after five games? As is Jordan Love.

Obviously you know more about scouting QBs than anybody. You should have no problem getting a job doing it then. 😁

You can be snide all you want, I'd be shocked if any of them end up winning a playoff game.

Pull all the college tape you want, it doesn't really amount to anything in the face of evidence from NFL games. I'm sure there's reels out there of Harry balling out too.

Well personally I wasn't sold on Bryce Young coming out of college but most the experts agreed he was the best in the class. I just didn't think his game would transfer well to the NFL.l and his height might be a problem.

I do expect Jordan Love to do good things.

Bruce Young is in a similar situation to Mac in that he has no protection.

And college tape will tell you a lot about a players arm talent, footwork, poise in the pocket, check down speed etc.

I openly admit I didn't think Mahomes would do well in the NFL because he ran out of the pocket so much. I was sure that the speed of the elite defenders would blow him up.

As regards receivers, all I can ever see with them is good hands, speed and routes run. It's rare I'm right about them. Productivity at that position doesn't often transfer well.

Mac threw an awful pick a couple of minutes ago. He has no excuses today, he's getting loads of time in the pocket.

If I see issues that are his fault I'll call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Penalties. Penalties. Penalties.

Parker has to make that catch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

That was one of the worst picks I've ever seen out of Mac in the first half, followed by one of the best throws I've ever seen out of him in the 4th quarter.

He's got the tools to do it, no doubt, but that job is one that you have to be able to do it all the time.

His compilation of picks so far this year are absolutely horrendous.

Interesting that they activated Cunningham yesterday, seemded to be more a wildcard, Taysom Hill type use tho

• Advertisement

Cunningham was the replacement for Lamar at Louisville with a similar skillset but not as good. He can run, pass and receive. Bill loves players who can play more than one position.

I was expecting the Ravens to draft him late. He's the perfect backup for Lamar.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could succeed as a QB.

So can they trade Mac now and tank properly? Could probably send him to LV for a 2nd or 3rd

You wouldn't win six Superbowls if you are the type that would even consider tanking.

Anyway who are you drafting if you get the first pick. There's a lot of people pulling back on their previous prediction that Caleb Williams is a generational talent after what happened when he finally ran into a serious defense.

I was one of them and I'm questioning my prediction as well.

Only other time I remember him taking on a serious defense was when he played Baylor while at Oklahoma and he didn't have a good day then either. You'll put one day to just having a bad day.

we're not winning a SB this year, so there's no benefit in eking out a handful of wins, besides massaging Belichick's ego as he crawls towards Shula's record. The season is over, period. Done and dusted. Getting the best draft next year ought to be the goal, as well as freeing up cap space to address the many, many issues with the roster.

A competitive person can never think that way. For you and me looking in from the outside it's easy to look at results and decide it's over. When part of a team I could never think like that.

As a coach even if things are not looking good you have to look to the following season and look after the players as best you can. Telling them to quit is not a good idea. If you put quit in people's heads then don't expect them to suddenly want to win as bad as you do at a later stage.

If Judon doesn't play for the rest of the season, Gonzalez is already gone and we don't have an offensive line or a top level receiver then it's hard to see us winning. I'm still shocked we beat the Jets tbh.

We are averaging 12 points per game, worst in the league.

The Panthers are the only team behind us and they are home to the Bears in a couple of weeks so there's a chance they catch up. I think at worst we end up with a top three pick.

As we all have discussed, Bill is the GM too. He has to take stock and realize there's little value in continuing to try and win a handful of games. Trade Mac, and maybe a few other lads who are likely going to be cut in the next season or so. Use the rest of the season to blood new players and look to get the best draft capital possible. If Bill is wanting to win another championship, hard choices need to be made.

• Advertisement

I don't see us actively tanking, I think that would go against everything BB believes in. Having said that, we might not be good enough to do anything other than tank anyway. The bigger question I think is that if we do get to 1-7, are we sellers in the trade market, and if so who do we sell (I don't see us as buyers as it would make no sense for a 1-7 team). Kendrick Bourne might generate some trade value if he plays like last week, and if we are getting a new QB, then we don't need to worry about his obvious connection with Mac. Also, might free up some playing time and targets for Thornton, Douglas and Boutte so we can see what they've got. I don't think there's any trade value in Parker, particularly after last week's drop. And I presume sending JSS back to Kansas is no longer an option now that the Jets beat us to the punch.

Looking around the roster, it's hard to see who else we could sell that has value. Barmore, Dugger and Stevenson are all talent we should be keeping. I've seen Uche's name mentioned a few times, and it does seem like he's more a number 2 to another rusher's no 1. If one of the 2 young Jones had more tape, they might have had value, and I would be comfortable with letting one of them go (but only one).

Looking back at last week, and specifically the last play, I'm trying to figure out who was the issue there e.g. the playcall or Mac Jones. Lining up your worst blocking tight end to chip and then your swing tackle (as in swinging door) to take on an elite pass rusher like Crosby is just suicidal. I can't figure if it was a bad playcall, or a bad match-up that Jones should have recognised pre-snap and got out of. If it's the latter, then that really increases my Jones concerns. And of course that interception, at this stage, no matter what OL or receivers he has, he just can't be doing that 3 years in.

Thing is that a QB whose constantly rushed, pressured and sacked will make bad decisions because he goes into panic mode if he has the ball for three seconds.

It was an awful throw, absolutely no question about that. I'd love to see if he'd do those things if he had a decent offensive line. And a line that not only pass protects but can open holes and block down field on running plays. This line can't do anything.

Until that issue is resolved we don't know what we have as regards our receivers. I do think we need a true no. 1. I suppose we can still hope that Tyquan Thornton works out.

Unfortunately the players with trade value are some of our better players. Bourne, Henry, Uche (and Dugger, Onwenu) are free agents after this season so a contending team could fancy picking them up for a mid/late round pick. Hard to believe we extended Parker in the off season. No one is trading for him or Juju.

If you had a true no.1 Parker would do well. It looks like he's the first option a lot and that's never going to work out well.

Of all those that need to be paid Dugger is the most important to me. At worst he's a top five strong safety in the league and I think he's the best personally.

No player or coach tanks. Careers are too short for that. Too many jobs get lost in bad seasons.

You might have something if you rebuild with Mac but I am not sure he has shown enough to be worth the opportunity cost. They need to take a long hard look at all available QBs to try and improve there. I wouldn't panic if Mac stays if they can't get one they like but they need to be looking imo.

Yes pocket passers do well but you can be one and still have wheels like Lawrence and Burrow (when healthy). A cannon is not just about deep throws, it is about intermediate and longer throws when an nfl safety is closing, it increases the size of windows if you can get a ball to the receiver before the defender can make a play.

None of these are absolute requirements but they would give a bit more hope for Mac if he had them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement