Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Patrick Chung announces retirement. Great servant explains the Mills signing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

paulie21 wrote: »
    Patrick Chung announces retirement. Great servant explains the Mills signing

Played in the playoffs 11 seasons in a row starting from his rookie year. Only player in NFL history to do that.

As an aside, looks like the Cannon trade is slightly more favourable than initially reported. Was first reported as swapping 4th, 5th and 6th round picks. But this is better.

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1372504049271050242?s=19

Also, @PatsCap has us sittint at $26m cap space which includes everything except -

- Trent Brown trade
    - Bethel and Karras signings
    - Chung retirement

The Chung retirement is tricky - it looks like it will save us cap space this year at the expense of next year's cap if processed after June 1st. The other way around (costs us this year, creates space next year) if processed before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nick Folk has re-signed for another year - he was rock solid last year.

We have also picked up former Packer DL Montravius Adams. Don't know a thing about him, other than he was a 3rd round pick in 2017, but was never more than a rotational player in Green Bay.

Ryan Izzo has been traded to Houston for a 7th rounder - nice to get something for him as he was certain to be cut with the TE additions this week. Caserio sure is picking up a lot of former Patriot players - Cannon, Rivers, Brooks, Izzo.

We don't have a whole lot of holes on the roster as it stands - Center/Guard, RB, maybe a true #1 WR, Inside Linebacker, and of course QB. I could see us packaging a few picks to move up in the first round - maybe into the 8-12 range to get a QB?

David Andrews is coming back. Fantastic news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

Great news, was sure he was gone and he turned down better offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Andrews coming back is fantastic.
    Either Onwenu or Karras can be used at LG now, should be a very strong starting group up front.

I see Kyle Fuller just hit the open market...wonder if Bill is scheming....

Raekwon McMillan signed on a 1 year deal. Was highly rated coming out of college, didn't really love up to it. The TL;DR seems to be he's solid against the run, terrible in coverage.

It seems the NFL made an error in the initial compensatory picks calculations, and we've now been awarded another- a 5th rounder.

James White coming back now too, which I'm delighted with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Is there any fan clubs or supporters clubs in general in ireland for the patriots, or for nfl teams...

Or do lads/ladies jyst meet up down tge pub to watch a game have a chat

James White coming back now too, which I'm delighted with.

A Lawrence Guy return is close too, according to Mike Reiss.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    A Lawrence Guy return is close too, according to Mike Reiss.

Great stuff. Very important player for us.

So it looks very likely now that all of the best QB prospects will be off the board before we pick....

On one hand, crap, we have another season coming without a long term solution to follow.
    On the other, the QB grab at the top could see some guys who were top-5 talent wise fall outside the top 10...

The Jets are apparently very interested in Wilson, and SF making it clear they're going to choose a QB at 3 and seem very keen on Jones.
    We could very well see Lawrence 1, Wilson 2, Jones 3, Lance/Fields 4, Lance/Fields 8.
    I don't think we'll grab Trask at 15, too much of a stretch for him there, hopefully he's still there in the 2nd with pick 46.

Aside from a WR like Waddle though, I don't see anyone who's likely to still be on the board that would fill much of a need for us at 15 - and be worth choosing with that pick.
    After all the hype of this offseason, it would be such a BB move to trade out of the first round again...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Christy42

BizzyC wrote: »
    So it looks very likely now that all of the best QB prospects will be off the board before we pick....

On one hand, crap, we have another season coming without a long term solution to follow.
    On the other, the QB grab at the top could see some guys who were top-5 talent wise fall outside the top 10...

The Jets are apparently very interested in Wilson, and SF making it clear they're going to choose a QB at 3 and seem very keen on Jones.
    We could very well see Lawrence 1, Wilson 2, Jones 3, Lance/Fields 4, Lance/Fields 8.
    I don't think we'll grab Trask at 15, too much of a stretch for him there, hopefully he's still there in the 2nd with pick 46.

Aside from a WR like Waddle though, I don't see anyone who's likely to still be on the board that would fill much of a need for us at 15 - and be worth choosing with that pick.
    After all the hype of this offseason, it would be such a BB move to trade out of the first round again...

I am not sure that the Falcons will take a QB. Though it does seem like SF are hot on Jones and I can imagine they will make bank on that pick if Fields falls that far. Even without trades Broncos seem likely to take a QB as well if one falls that far and BB seems unlikely to move up even that far.

Edelman has been released, with a failed physical designation. A sad, but probably inevitable outcome. He is a Patriots legend, loved watching him compete.

I hope this was amicable. What a career and what a story.

Edit: I'm behind, just seen that's it's a formality for retirement. Off to the sunset Jules, we love you.

Well it's official, he's retired.

Being cut first with a failed injury designation means he can collect a $2m injury benefit under the CBA.

Not that he needs the money, but good on the team to look after him like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

No matter how many times I see that catch against the Falcons, I still can't figure out, HOW!! Nice little video here.

https://twitter.com/Edelman11/status/1381722282570170373?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Good night, Sweet Prince

• Advertisement

JC Jackson has signed his RFA tender so unless we trade him, he'll be back for 1 year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Belichick on the 2020 QB draft class in advance of the draft, "an interesting group", "probably one that has some decent depth to it,"

2021 QB draft class, "A lot of it is by conference, but there are some other circumstances as well. It's an interesting class and group of guys. Some are very strong in some skills, and some seem very strong in other skills. It's definitely an interesting group."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,337 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If he thinks it has "great depth" he's probably looking to trade down!

No that was 2020. I'm just putting up his comments to show how little he gives away. The media talking about us moving up to get our man are talking rubbish. Only one man knows if we are going to do anything like that and he's not telling anybody in advance of draft day.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

eagle eye wrote:
    No that was 2020. I'm just putting up his comments to show how little he gives away. The media talking about us moving up to get our man are talking rubbish. Only one man knows if we are going to do anything like that and he's not telling anybody in advance of draft day.

It's just educated guesses. In fairness it makes sense to move up this year if we really like one of the guys that's not mac Jones, I think he might be gettable at 15.
    They've nearly filled out the roster already through free agency and the glaring hole is qb, Cam isn't the answer.
    Who knows maybe he likes Davis Mills or Mond in the second or third.

If we take a QB in the first you'll know how confident he is about him because if he's not very confident he'll draft another one in the third or fourth.

Well folks, I'm heading off to work shortly with a little more pep in my step. So delighted we got Mac Jones, really believe he'll be a really good one in the NFL.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well folks, I'm heading off to work shortly with a little more pep in my step. So delighted we got Mac Jones, really believe he'll be a really good one in the NFL.

I'm glad Mac dropped to 15, but I think Fields at 11 was a steal for the Bears.
    Be interesting to see where we go with the next few rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,337 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Surprising pick. I was expecting us to trade up or down.
    Was not expecting Jones to still be there as he was mooted top 5.

His film especially on in pocket agility and play action looks impressive, as well as his read progression. That looks a mcdaniels pick as it suits exactly what TB did well for years, but what Cam seems not able to do consistently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

BizzyC wrote: »
    I'm glad Mac dropped to 15, but I think Fields at 11 was a steal for the Bears.
    Be interesting to see where we go with the next few rounds.

I have to think they never had any interest in Fields and played the media narrative all along, he was too easily gotten at 11 if they had really wanted him and they get Jones without giving up anything, such a Belichick move.
    Personally I was all in on Fields but Jones makes a lot of sense too.
    Elijah Moore is still there would love them to get him in the second round.

Advertisement