Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'm happy that we picked the QB. Don't know enough about college football to comment on the player, but when he fell to 15 we had to take a shot on him.

Tackle, corner, linebacker and maybe WR are the obvious positions to target tonight, but we've no glaring needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mr. Guappa wrote:
    Tackle, corner, linebacker and maybe WR are the obvious positions to target tonight, but we've no glaring needs.
    Well I'd love if we picked up Tutu Atwell out of Louisville. He's a small guy with blazing speed, ran a 4.32 40.
    Thing is he has incredible hands, a bit like Beckham.
    I could see him being turned into a slot receiver in New England and he can line up on the outside with that speed. It's those hands though, I could see him becoming a Wes Welker type.
    He's projected for the fourth round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Seems we got some good value last night.

Barmore was ranked 11th overall on PFF's too 100, so it seems good to get him at 38.

Likewise, Perkins was ranked 43rd so to get him at 96 is pretty good.

Granted, that's just one board. Others had them lower, but for the most part we seem to have got them well below where most had them ranked.

Rhamondre Stevenson is potentially very interesting. If he works out he could be like LeGarrette Blount.

Michigan LB Cameron McGrone at 177. Another pick soon too, unless we trade out.

• Advertisement

At 188 the pick is Missouri safety Joshuah Bledsoe.

At 197 we take Colorado T William Sherman. One more pick left as it stands.

Very weird not signing any undrafted free agents. Currently we have 83 players on the roster.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Very weird not signing any undrafted free agents. Currently we have 83 players on the roster.

It's slightly odd alright. Could be that there's a few signed, just not yet announced.

We've picked up Isaiah Wynn's 5th year option. Wasn't sure if we would or not - 10 million guaranteed for that 5th year now - great value if he can stay on the field, but that's been the problem his first three years. Gives some certainty at OT anyway, with Trent Brown only signed for this season.

No announcement yet on Sony Michel, but I'd be shocked if we picked up his option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yeah, have to imagine that Harris and Stevenson will be the primary runners between the tackles now. Unless those guys fail to step up this year, this will be Michel's last in NE.

• Advertisement

I missed this, but we might have a change to our home uniform this year. They had mannequins of each team's uniforms at the draft this year, and ours had new grey pants instead of the blue pants we had last year. This has been rumoured before, and I think it's a huge improvement. Hopefully it's true as the blue on blue doesn't look good to me.

https://twitter.com/David_Slivka/status/1388103160829562880?s=19

I'm just waiting for things to settle down and I'll buy my no. 10 jersey.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for things to settle down and I'll buy my no. 10 jersey.

I've already ordered my Mac Jones bobblehead.

BHNFDR21PK15_p_700x875_crop_center.jpg?v=1619799430

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I missed this, but we might have a change to our home uniform this year. They had mannequins of each team's uniforms at the draft this year, and ours had new grey pants instead of the blue pants we had last year. This has been rumoured before, and I think it's a huge improvement. Hopefully it's true as the blue on blue doesn't look good to me.

https://twitter.com/David_Slivka/status/1388103160829562880?s=19

Red uniform when?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭DJ_Eoghan

Burkhead gone to Texans. Maybe it's just me, but I feel he was a bit over-rated. Not sure if it was the committee backfield or being in the tub, but he never seemed to perform consistently.

Bit harsh. I would say Burkhead exceeded any expectations we would have had when we signed him. Admittedly, those expectations were low. Very versatile, and came up big against the Chiefs in the playoffs with a couple of TDs en route to SB LIII. I'll remember him fondly for that alone.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying he didn’t have his moments, but I just don’t feel he put it together often enough. I recall beat reporters always talking him up, just don’t recall him being that impactful ( to the point I’d even forgotten about the afc championship game). Guess it means more time for Taylor and Harris, which could be interesting if they have good hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Burkhead was the Amendola to White's Edelman for me. More talented player, but unlucky with injuries. He is a more effective runner than White is, capable of cutting through the middle and catching the ball.

I hope he has more success with this move than Lewis had in Tennessee.

Good interview with Cam.

N'Keal Harry seems to be having a strong camp according to reports. It would be a big boost to our passing game if he could become a solid contributor.

Raekwon McMillan and Dalton Keene both done for the year with injuries. McMillan seemed to be impressing in camp and looked like a decent depth LB. Keene seems unlikely to justify the high pick at this stage.

• Advertisement

Very disappointing about McMillan, from reports I felt he was going to be a strong part of the LB rotation, maybe even a 3-down starter. He also had the feel of classic Belichick reclamation project. Can't remember the stat for it, but think it's really tough for players to come back successfully from 2 torn ACLs. Keene might have caught a break going on IR, I don't think he makes the 53-man squad if it came to it.

Only two throws in to his NFL career and Mac Jones has me believing already.

Quinn Nordin looks like a really good kicker, I think he'll get the job.

Kristian Wilkerson looking really good with Mac Jones and JJ Taylor too.

In fact Michel and Harris have looked excellent too and James White.

Jones has looked great, no td but a lot of impressive play. He is accurate, gets the ball out fast, checks down really quickly. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't win the job. Cam looked poor on his couple of drives.

Add Rhamondre Stevenson to the list of impressive looking running backs. He was part of an impressive drive which he finished off with s goal line score and then broke one for 91 yards and a TD right at the end of the game.

Serious competition for places at RB.

Overall a nice night. On D I'd pick out Josh Uche and JC Jackson as the standouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Very easy to look good in pre season but I'm also jumping on the Jones bandwagon. Certainly a better option than Cam. I'd have cut Cam months ago but hey ho

I'm not drawing any conclusions until I see him against a first string defence, presumably in pre-season game 3. Seems like both him and Cam struggled against the Eagles D in joint practice, although 4 out of 5 TEs were out so that was a factor. Key thing from this game for me is we appear to have got lucky on the Judon injury. Haven't seen anything that suggests he was held out of practice week, so that's good.

Another good game for Rhamondre Stevenson last night. Jones looked very comfortable again, and Cam was vastly improved compared to the WFT game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

Cam also isn't running the ball which is presumably intentional in preseason but will make him a lot nastier come the regular season.

I'd imagine our OL is set up primarily for pass protection as our first round pick is a pocket passer. I don't expect to see much QB rushing at any stage during the preseason.

If Cam wins the job I'm sure they'll move that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Whether they have a rookie pocket passer or not, any coach that sets up their OL for running their QB in preseason should be shot out of a cannon.

The lack of designed runs, or at times even moving QBs outside of the pocket, is one of the many reasons why it is so hard to compare players from preseason game performance - some players get to show off the majority of their skillset while others are severely limited.

Advertisement