Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options
1182183184185186188»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,946 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No point wasting a year of QB rookie scale contract either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,273 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

You both literally have no more basis to declare it a bad draft than a good one. Vibes basically. Maye has been consistently highly rated, and despite his issues, he's a much better prospect than Mac was. The other lads could be ****, they could be good. Main thing is the team aggressively drafted to address deficiencies. No reaches at CB or OL for once.

QB is the most important position, at this point we're in a place where you have to keep swinging til you hit.

No the most important positions are left tackle and wide receiver. We draft a wide receiver who can't separate, he's known for being good at jumping and catching. It's far more difficult to win contested balls in the NFL. No matter what way you look at it that's a bad pick for us, we needed a guy who can separate, the type of guy who would have made it easier for Mac Jones and Zappe.

We drafted a lad that played right tackle only. We do not have a left tackle. I've explained my analysis of Maye already so won't repeat that but I think he'll be a bust.

You are saying you expect Maye to sit for a year. Wouldn't it be better to draft a QB next year then? Fix the offense, which has not been done in this draft and then see how they do before you put in your shiny new toy.

And Kraft came out and said that they weren't afraid to spend but we spent nothing in free agency.

The veil has been lifted. We all thought it was Bill penny pinching but he's gone and it's still going on.

Anyway Kraft is now a pariah after firing Bill and then arranging the hit piece on him. How he thought he'd get away with that is beyond me. Did he not think our former great players would come out and say that all the good stuff they said about Bill was cut from the documentary?

We haven't even had a game and I'm already not expecting much from Mayo and he can't afford a 4-12 season because the fans are irate and ready to attack anybody.

By the end of this season you'll be hearing at least one of 'Mayo out' 'Kraft out' or 'we want Bill' and it could be all of them.

How anybody could have a positive outlook after a crap draft and free agency is beyond me.

The way things are going we'll be back to the laughing stock we were in the early 90s.

I have to add that I suspect Jonathan Kraft has played a big part in all this crap.

• Advertisement

No, the most important position for any team is QB. Letting Maye sit for a significant amount of time is exactly the right thing to do, unless he wins the job in camp. It's the right way to go about building up a player. We're not going to be contenders next season, so might as well embrace that and use the opportunity to draft and build.

Ridiculous wailing here about a draft class that hasn't had a single snap

If you cannot protect a QB and you don't have a good receiver then why draft a QB?

You fix those positions and then get a QB. Next year's class has three QBs better than anyone that was available this year. Our situation right now is that nothing has changed except the QB.

If we traded back we could have fixed those two positions. Then you see how it pans out with Brissett and you know where you are at in 2025.

It doesn't matter who plays this year, they will be on the run just like last year.

Then you go into 2025 with all the same question marks. Are you going to sit the QB for a second year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

I feel like there are some politics with all the QBs taken early.

A lot of new coaches/GMs and at some point they need to hitch their wagon to a player. I disagree that next year's class looks better and not sure any of them wanted to base their career on next year's class.

I can make excuses for Maye. He had ankle issues which should be getting fixed and he was generally a better option than the checkdown.

Having said that he obviously has a lot of bad habits and is not the pick I would have made. However there seems to be some ownership push to compete sooner rather than later and taking a developmental QB likely helps keep your job for a while longer. I think expecting MHJ to be the pick at 3 was a long shot.

The addition of Milton is interesting. I don't expect him to get many reps outside of hail Mary type things but him and Maye show a very different philosophy in QBs for the Pats.

Again, you're making pronouncements as though they're facts. The jury is entirely out with respect to this draft class, for every team. You assert next year's class is better than this one, without any quantifiable data as it pertains to the NFL. I can appreciate the idea the build the framework before you bring in a QB, but there's also every chance that we would not be in a position to grab a QB next year, or that they could also bust.

We're never going to be competitive until we get a quality QB, simple as. Might as well get the ball rolling and see what Maye gives us than pushing it another year down the line. We still have the opportunity to make trades, if Kraft would allow it.

You keep saying the same thing about never being competitive without a quality QB.

Mac Jones had the exact same QB rating last season as Patrick Mahomes. That's because Mahomes had a bad line and bad receiving corp. They sorted things out for him right at the end of the season, things weren't as bad in Kansas as they were in New England.

So the best QB in the NFL had the same rating as Mac Jones.

So tell me how you are having a chance with a quality QB? The pieces around him have to be in place first. We needed to get a left tackle and quality wide receiver before we got a QB. You give them a year of experience and then you get your QB.

As regards QBs, I watch I'd guess 500+ hours of college football every season and then I watch every play of every QB that I and others rate.

I do things in a different order to most because the first thing I look at is reaction to pressure, blitzes and certain sacks. If a QB doesn't pass that test I put a line through their name.

I didn't do that with Maye but it concerns me. He just looks uncomfortable in the pocket. I'm going to put up the Clemson game here for you. This was not the toughest defense he played against and it was not his worst performance, probably ranks about fourth in both those categories. What I want you to watch is his head movement as in checking down through his receiving options. You'll notice he very rarely turns his head. When there is pressure he's inaccurate or overthrows. When he gets out of the pocket he's almost always on the run and not looking up to see if a receiver has got open. He is very poor in the pocket, his footwork isn't good and he never moves around trying to find a bit of space to extend the play.

I've seen worse performances from him than this but even based on just this game he's not a top three or top ten pick. I don't think he should have been a first round pick.

Anyway you tell me what you see,

• Advertisement

EE, I can't even begin to address an argument that uses a rating to argue Jones was on a level as Mahomes. I don't watch college football, so I have no ability to gauge quality of players beyond the extremely obvious. Multiple people had him rated as a top 5 player in this draft, to include Belichick, who whatever other drafting issues he's had, was good at identifying quality QBs.

We're not going to win without an elite QB. There's only so far a dominant defense can take. See the Rams in 2018. You need someone who can elevate when the crunch comes. Hopefully Maye can be that person.

I wasn't arguing that Jones is on the same level as Mahomes. I was making the point that a big problem with the offensive line and not having a good receiver will affect even the best. The reason I mentioned Jones was to show you how much Mahomes struggled.

Its easy to study a video. You just pick out the qualities you expect the QB to have and look at the video a couple of times and concentrate on each one.

Over the years I've called it right a lot more than wrong. I said Sam Bradford was a bad pick and that Stafford was a good one in the same draft. I said that Derek Carr was the best in his class, he went in the second round behind Bortles, Manziel and Bridgewater. I said that Winston and Mariota would not make it. Recently I said Wilson and Lance would not make it and that I was unsure about Fields. I had Mac down as second best in the class behind Lawrence.

I think Mac could still make it if put in the right situation. I'm sure he has bad habits to get rid of, habits he developed while being constantly under pressure for the last two years.

The one I got wrong was Mahomes. He didn't past the first stage of my assessment which was running backwards trying to get out of trouble, I was sure he wouldn't get away with that stuff in the NFL but I was way, way, way wrong on that. 😁

Anyway you cannot put a QB in a situation as horrendous as the last two years and it looks like we've done nothing to address those issues. If I'm right then we start again next year trying to fix those problems and you'd expect Maye will be starting with unproven guys in those positions. As I said we should have went after the premium right tackle and receiver this year and get the QB next year.

We had the opportunity to gamble on somebody like Rattler this year and nobody would be giving out if he didn't make it. If Maye doesn't play this year and we are in the same situation as last year in offense the fans will be looking for beads to roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Anyone watching The Roast of Tom Brady on Netflix?

Gotta say, I thought talking about his divorce would be off limits, but pretty much the first joke of the night showed me where this was going…

"Giselle told you 'retire or we're done', but when you have the chance to go 8-9 and all it will cost you is your wife and your kids, you gotta do it".

It's very funny so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭decies

enjoyed the roast thought it was great to see the gang beck together taking the P%%^ . The uk patriots group didn’t get it at all but sure Brits have no sense of humour .

I have watched about half of it. A lot of good jokes but so many repeated jokes as well. I get it, Kevin Hart is short and Gronk is dumb.

The serial killer piece seemed forced. It felt like they were going for something dark for the sake of it being dark as opposed to actually funny. Sam and Bledsoe have been the highlights for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Can't get into it precisely because of Tom Brady's perfectly off-putting and completely creepy pearly white smile. Sitting there like a vantriloquist's dummy. Mad how you never see celebs with bad teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rain Spreading From The West

Patriots playing the Jags on Sunday October 20th (2.30pm) at Wembley Stadium. Would it be hard to get tickets for this?

You can register an interest here:

https://www.wembleystadium.com/events/2024/Jacksonville-Jaguars

I was looking at our schedule. We could go 0-17. I couldn't pick out a game we would win.

Well there should be a decent QB at no.1. Of course we don't have a left tackle or decent wide receiver so as was the case this year it's pointless drafting a QB.

• Advertisement

Both you and the Panthers are currently underdogs for all 17 games.

Obviously they don't expect you to go 0-17 since upsets happen and you have a higher over/under for wins than the Panthers but the bookies are unwilling to pick out which ones the Pats could win.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,946 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

As someone who started following the pats from 2001 or so, I can't ever remember a time that that was the case. Mad to think the 08 team with Cassel got 10 wins in a 16 game season and now after (for some reason) picking a first round top 10 QB we may not win any!

Thats because a QB wasn't nearly as important an issue as left tackle and wide receiver.

If we had traded back we'd have got pretty decent prospects in both those positions. Then if we needed a QB next year we could go and get one.

And this years QB class is in my opinion highly overrated. It's quite possible that only one of the top 10 makes it. I don't think any of the top three, and Maye is one of them, will make it. Williams has a chance if he has an awesome offensive line but any holes in it and he's not going to do well. Daniels will get killed on one of his runs with how small his frame is for a big man. Maye regressed last year, has always looked uncomfortable in the pocket if his first read isn't available, and he won't be most of the time because we have an awful wr roster. Maye then panics and looks to run and that's not going to work because our offensive line won't hold up long enough to let it happen. He overthrows under pressure and that'll lead to interceptions. He'll lose his confidence and be called a bust before these problems get sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Managed to get 2 tickets for the Wembley game with the Jags fans pre sale 😝

Upper deck, few rows from the front, on the 50 yard line. Delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Advertisement