Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm very excited about this! Will free up a lot of the double teams on Gronk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Hopefully he gets his head right into it and Brady gets on the same page as him because if so it will be huge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Oh wow, I really hope it's true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I can only imagine BB is going to have to make some concessions for Josh when it comes to discipline or this won’t pan out.

I mentioned previously why I don’t think this would be a good fit for Gordon but at least going from an organization like the Browns to the Patriots means we could possibly be better equipped to handle his situation.

Cautiously optimistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Spare a thought for Corey Coleman. About to be dumped down the depth chart for Gordon again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what we gave up for him
    Jamie Collins :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Presume yesterday was a wake up call to Bill that what he has right now likely won't cut it, he had said previously that he'd never trade for Gordon but here we are. Patriots have a lot of picks for next year so taking a gamble isn't the worst thing and as they have a strong locker room I don't think he'd impact the team if he starts messing about.

Presume the rumour of a nearing deal came out from the Browns side in the hopes that it'll get a team to jump in offering more - 'If Bill is going for him he must be worth the gamble'.

Jamie Collins :P

Or Corey Coleman :pac:

One would have to think that if we can make both Coleman and Gordon work we go from having a weak WR corp to potentially a potent one. Corey Coleman has the ability to break out also.

It's official :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭me89

Trade done for a conditional 5th round pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

me89 wrote: »

Definitely worth the gamble for that

Wow was expecting more than that. Damn solid deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Two good gambles with Coleman and Gordon. If one of them works out then it's great, if both of them work out it'll be awesome.
    If neither work out it didn't cost us much.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Two good gambles with Coleman and Gordon. If one of them works out then it's great, if both of them work out it'll be awesome.
    If neither work out it didn't cost us much.

Coleman released to make way for Gordon.

Wow opinions change a lot in those long 4 and half hours... :pac::pac::pac:
    Most of them have come off that legit response. I never said the Brown are looking for high picks though to be fair I said the Patriot wont spend high on his and even 4th and 5th are too high. Can't see us biting on him. But some team will throw the house at the Browns for him like they always do.

Foxtrol wrote: »

Wow opinions change a lot in those long 4 and half hours... :pac::pac::pac:
    Most of them have come off that legit response. I never said the Brown are looking for high picks though to be fair I said the Patriot wont spend high on his and even 4th and 5th are too high. Can't see us biting on him. But some team will throw the house at the Browns for him like they always do.

Big difference on what I though the Patriots wouldn't do and what my opinion of giving those picks would be which I never gave my opinion. But well done on pointing that out. Must make you feel extra special inside? I am happy I was wrong what the Patriots wouldn't do as it means we got Josh Gordon. Anything else you want to point out?

Big difference on what I though the Patriots wouldn't do and what my opinion of giving those picks would be which I never gave my opinion. But well done on pointing that out. Must make you feel extra special inside? I am happy I was wrong what the Patriots wouldn't do as it means we got Josh Gordon. Anything else you want to point out?

Ah would you relax, I put in the emojis to show I was joking.

On a general note it is hard to tell at times where some posters stand on players when they just post about what they think their team will do rather than what they want or would be happy for their team to do.

I'm happy with the trade as it's just a 5th, and if it fails we get a later pick back.
    But I think we all need to be aware that he could be cut in a week. It's a long time since 2013, and he's had multiple issues since.

Coleman must not have gotten over his injury or else there is an attitude problem or something.
    I was hoping that he might work out with us, certainly has the talent to be a great one but obviously something major wrong with him.
    I'm not holding out much hope for Gordon but if they get his head straight he might be the best man on the outside since Moss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I hope he can last the season, but I'm doubtful. If nothing else, he might be able to create some match up problems for a defense, give some of the other guys room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Anybody know anything about the guy who wrote the new Belichick book? Would love to get a BB biography but don't really want to buy a gossipy hit piece.

Also, it looks like we may be getting a (non-conditional) 7th round pick from the Browns in the Gordon deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

He's an ESPN writer, so that should probably say enough about him :pac:

Here's a taster for it anyhow.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I see Coleman was signed to the practice squad.

Gordon was given #10.

Interestingly enough (depending on your definition of interesting), he's now the third JG10 we've had after Jabar Gaffney and Jimmy Garoppolo.

Also, Bob Kravitz was laid off from his job at an Indianapolis radio station. Far be it from me to take pleasure from a man losing his job, but..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Cyrus Jones was signed off the Ravens practice squad, and given a 2 year deal apparently. I presume they are looking for him to return punts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

We get a 7th rounder (either the Jags or Steelers) as part of the Gordon trade. It's unconditional too.

Flowers, Chung and Rowe all downgraded to out tonight. I think Rowe can be (and often is) a liability, but that's still three starters out. We need a huge improvement on defence from last week.

We can get away tonight without a few starters tonight I think. Lions look awful.

I'd expect the offense to get close to forty points tonight. The offense is the concern right now, we have got away with average defense many seasons due to the power of our offense.

• Advertisement

Jaguars lose which is a good result for us.

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Jaguars lose which is a good result for us.
    They only score 6pts this week. Puts into context how bad the D was last week.

Doesn't look like Gordon is going to be active tonight.

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1043989397518110722?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Happy enough with tbat tbh. No reason to rush him into things.

Defence can't stop the run and is brutal against the pass. So many below average players.

As bad a defence as I can remember.

• Advertisement

Turdfest on both sides of the ball.

What about the offense, can't stay on the field past three snaps.

eagle eye wrote: »
    What about the offense, can't stay on the field past three snaps.

Play calling is terrible, why keep calling run plays to the rookie running back when it's clearly not working.

Can Josh Gordon play on the defensive line? Asking for a friend.

I'll be as nice as possible and label that half of offensive play-calling as "suspect".

• Advertisement

Play calling is terrible, why keep calling run plays to the rookie running back when it's clearly not working.

Finally get some rythem in the passing game and the go back to the run with Sony on 2nd and 3rd down. Josh is so frustrating at times.

Why are you blaming Josh?

The issue is personnel and that's on BB.

Throwing deep to Philip Dorsett in double coverage?

I'm off to bed.

Julian can't get back quick enough, even that mightn't improve things enough. How did we end up with such a poor bunch of receivers?

Allowing Cooks and Amendola go leave in the same offseason, and then cutting everyone we had pinned as a replacement (Britt, Matthews) and not getting a reliable 2nd TE.

My concern is that Edelman is nearly 33, is coming off of an ACL tear and hasn't played competitive football in 20 months.

Gordon, well it's still 50/50 that he ever plays a game for us. I would say it's more likely he finishes the season a free agent than he does a Patriot.

Brady has no weapons apart from Gronk, but his demeanour tonight was worrying. No fire in him at all, seemed to accept defeat very early. Maybe that was just him being realistic given the garbage around him, but he was hardly error free himself.

There's nothing on the horizon that gives you any hope the defence will improve. I think the most saddening thing for me is that tonight was another nail in the Dont'a Hightower coffin. Injuries have ruined him. He's now a slow, lumbering who can't cover receivers or tight ends, and is too slow to close down running backs. A fantastic player for us, but no longer the playmaker he once was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Things not looking good this year, cant see Edelmen's return improving things too much....
    On the defensive side, we always start poor and improve as the season goes on - I don't see this year as very different to previous years.
    Offensively, this is about as toothless a Pats team that I've seen. The only way honestly that I can see things turning around is if Gordon turns into a superstar and becomes a real threat to allow Gronk and Julian space to maneuver....

Caught up on the game.

Defense not a surprise. A major lack of talent. The showing against the Texans (0:3) was false hope. And I don’t think it’ll improve until the offense clicks and helps the defense spend less time on the field.

Don't understand why they ran it so much. Michel had one run for 12yards, then 13 attempts for 38yards.

The offense has to improve to have any hope. Brady has to realize that Edelman won’t be back next week either and step up with what is there. The Fins game has huge importance now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

Caught up on the game.

Defense not a surprise. A major lack of talent. The showing against the Texans (0:3) was false hope. And I don’t think it’ll improve until the offense clicks and helps the defense spend less time on the field.

Don't understand why they ran it so much. Michel had one run for 12yards, then 13 attempts for 38yards.

The offense has to improve to have any hope. Brady has to realize that Edelman won’t be back next week either and step up with what is there. The Fins game has huge importance now.
    I think Brady is well aware of it. I am less sure that is much he can do about it.

There is an any other Sunday thing going about these days so who knows. Dorset may turn into OBJ for the day. More likely than what happened to the Vikings last night anyway.

As for running the ball. I have no idea, maybe they were trying to help my fantasy opponent (sobs) or maybe they were trying to protect someone. Not like throwing it was working either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just watched the highlights. 3 takeaways:

1. Detroit did a great job of taking Gronk out of the game. Double teamed on every play.

2. Stafford was excellent, kept Brady off the field with a lot of long drives and run plays. Seemed to be calling audibles on every play too based on whatever defence NE put out.

3. Brady's body language looked very ominous. Started with some of the angry/competitive stuff from last week, by the 3rd quarter he just looked like he was accepting that this team isn't up for it. Would be very surprised if this isn't his last year (I'm sure I've said that before!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The defence hasn't been good in previous years but it was just about good enough that the offence more than made up for it but the offence hasn't clicked at all yet this season. Teams are just doubling up on Gronk and shutting them down. Edelman and Gordon will have to make an impact to help them out here.

The defence is still painful to watch though. No pass rush and the slowest linebackers on earth who can't cover anyone. This was probably the greatest area of need on the team after the end of last season but they didn't really address it bar hoping Hightower would be back.

Usually the Pats always lose at least one game badly early in the season and recover but that's two bad ones on the spin now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement