Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Any one else not too convinced with Brady, or should we just be happy he ground (pardon the pun) out the win? I thought some of his throws to players out of the slot or backfield were particularly poor, missed a wide open Edelman one time. His fumble was a really, really bad play too. Made his usual good throws and did well to rush for the TD, but the errors were a lot more than normal. Am I being too picky?

I felt it was the running game that won that one though. Michel had a great game, and to compliment it White and Barner both had some runs that went for good yardage. They were successful on the run and kept a lot of momentum going.

Defence was muck. Some good redzone stops, but really, the big plays conceded were killers. Gostkowski made some great kicks, particularly under pressure and his form looks to be right back up there. I dont blame him for the squib kick nor the kick landing on the 1, those are special teams orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Brady was 24/35 for 340yards. And they scored 43pts. He did have the lost fumble, but did very well to run for the TD. I'd have had Brady thrown it more often against their secondary. He missed some targets, but he's still getting to know Gordon and it's just Edelmans 2nd game back.

I'd say you are being too picky. He wasn't the outstanding player, but I thought he did very well.

Not sure why we are continuing with those short kicks. It hasn't worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I thought the defense did pretty well if you discount the 2 blown coverages and a drive starting on the 4 yard line, which accounted for 21 points (there was a 3rd blown coverage but the Chiefs were already in the red zone at that point). But that is still discounting two massive F'ups but i think those two F'ups lie solely on the Safeties so in terms of grading the defense the Dline, LBs, and CBs did very well. Had the safeties played as well this game wouldn't have been close.

These blown coverages have happened far too often this season. Harmon accounted for two last night and one in the Lions game, probably another one. D McCourty was the other one and his coverage game this season has been very questionable. I believe the safety mistakes have been unprecedented this season but honestly i think they are correctable especially for McCourty (they better be!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Short at TE today, Hollister is officially out and Gronk didn't travel with the team so that's him out, that leaves us with Allen ðŸ™

Rappoport is reporting that the Pats are optimistic that the Michel injury isn't that bad but an MRI today will confirm...thats probably the kiss of death tho.

Hopefully its only a 4-5 week injury and he is back after the bye

Injury not serious, could miss time but not much per Rappoport...great news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Hallelujah but it is worrying about his knee history.
    Let’s hope yesterday’s was just a freak accident and I suppose it’s probably a good sign that his knee withstood what looked like a bad twist.

Pats in the running for Patrick Peterson, i'd gladly give up a 1st for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hazys wrote: »
    Pats in the running for Patrick Peterson, i'd gladly give up a 1st for him!

He'd be more than that but we can't afford him surely? Sure I thought we're struggling with the cap as is?

• Advertisement

Possibly a 1st and a 3rd but anything more than that and the Pats don't engage.

For everything i ready the Pats Cap should be good if they restructure a contract or two. He's only due $5m this year and cap hits of $11m and $12m the years after are very doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

And when are they going to get a backup/replacement for Brady.
    I believe this won't happen as they need and will keep the 2 second and 3 third round picks for other positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wouldn't be very excited about Peterson. I'd be of the opinion that if we are going for a big player it should be a wrecking ball defensive end.

It doesn't matter how good a defensive back is if you are giving a QB all day to throw it.

All pro is all pro. If one becomes available in their prime you do everything that is reasonable to get him. Our secondary would look so different which in turn would allow the D to focus on getting to the QB more and stopping the run. He would have a massive impact with Gilmore opposite him.

All pro is all pro. If one becomes available in their prime you do everything that is reasonable to get him. Our secondary would look so different which in turn would allow the D to focus on getting to the QB more and stopping the run. He would have a massive impact with Gilmore opposite him.
    So you think that he can stop passes getting through no matter how long the receiver has?
    Our problem is that we are never getting to the QB, just rewatch our last two games.
    Imo we have the DB's to do a great job if they get a bit of help from the guys up front.

No my point is our D isn't good enough to win a SB, especially if our O isn't firing. We need improvements mainly at LB imo. But we're not getting those, not this season anyway.
    And I agree, our secondary is fine, but if we get another top CB we can apply more pressure with our front 7. PP, Gilmore and McCourty would allow us to do that, and it would also allow us to play our SS more aggressively.

We certainly don't need PP, but if we can get him he would significantly improve our (very realistic) SB chances, or at least a lot more than anyone else can. And that, for me, is enough of a reason to go aggressively for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I think getting Pat P would help.
    When we had Revis and Browner at corner we were able to get a lot more pressure up front as the QB was forced to hold the ball much longer than they wanted to. Either we beef up the pass rush, or we change the play of the DB's to buy the pass rush more time.

Another championship for title town last night with the Red Sox closing out the World Series.

An unprecedented level of success for Boston/NE across the 4 major sports since 2000. The most successful city despite having half the teams other major cities have.

The 2 year drought is finally over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Potentially. But turning up late can happen; I remember Revis did something similar as well and was sent home from practice because of it.
    Gordon is a different case, but this is on the very low end of things he could have done. All depends on how he takes it and reacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭colmufc

Made hard work of that until the 4th
    Defence was good for the most part but up against a very poor bills offence
    Flowers and van noy were impressive
    29wins for Brady v bills
    Kinda sick of sky cutting the walk on at the end

Lucky we didn't come up against a better offense tonight. Tom missed a few wide open throws but still somehow managed to throw for 350 yards without any major chunk play. Good win all the same, we can only beat what's in front of us at the end of the day. A win was all that mattered.

Really hope there's some truth in the trade rumours. For those who haven't heard apparently we're in for Jamie Collins and/or a double trade with the Cardinals. If we are trading with the Cards I hope we somehow land Jones, but assuming it's PP.
    Very optimistic trade rumours but no smoke without fire. There must be something going on behind the scenes. Whether anything actually happens is anyone's guess.
    Have also heard a potential trade of Hightower for Golden Tate, but that would be ridiculous as LB is our greatest need atm. Would be shocked if there's any truth to that at all.

Lucky we didn't come up against a better offense tonight. Tom missed a few wide open throws but still somehow managed to throw for 350 yards without any major chunk play. Good win all the same, we can only beat what's in front of us at the end of the day. A win was all that mattered.
    Yeah, it was ugly for the vast majority of the night for the offense in the red zone. Patterson didn't look comfortable at RB, they need a proper body there. He ran for 38 yards off 10 runs (3.8 a carry), but one was for 22, so 16 yards off 9 runs. Neither team could run the ball, so lots of short throws for both QBs.

The D did well. 6pts allowed, some good pressure and a pick 6. But it was the Bills and Derek Anderson; maybe the worst offense in the league, and they looked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Rumours that the Patriots are looking to trade for Demaryius Thomas WR Denver Broncos.

This would be a good pick-up for the Pats - Thomas is an under-rated receiver - and would be good business for the Broncos who are now in full rebuild mode, getting a pick and a big contract off the books.

• Advertisement

I havent read or looked up interviews since the game, saw that BB told journalist go find the reporter (crapsheet) who wrote that Gordon would be benched. What was the story on that? Or what has come out of it since?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Rumours that the Patriots are looking to trade for Demaryius Thomas WR Denver Broncos.

This would be a good pick-up for the Pats - Thomas is an under-rated receiver - and would be good business for the Broncos who are now in full rebuild mode, getting a pick and a big contract off the books.

I'd be shocked. He's been poor for years, long way gone from 2013. He has a very high drop rate. I'd be happy if it was Sanders we were after, still miffed we missed out on him last times around.

Good win last night, nice to see Brady get a win over Rodgers before his clock runs out. I don't think Rodgers will be around the next time Brady plays the Packers :pac:

On another note, Brady became the first player in NFL history to record 80,000 total yards (rushing, passing and receiving), in the regular and post-season. An absolutely phenomenal stat.

That win also gives him a winning record against 25 of the other 31 teams, with tying records against 4 more and a losing record against the Broncos.
    For comparison, Rodgers 'only' has a winning record against 19 teams (tying record with 4 more), whilst Peyton had a winning record against 24 teams (tying record with 4 more).

Kinda crazy and certainly unprecedented

d4xcf4f6pmw11.png?width=803&auto=webp&7f2d5af8

“Who were you throwing that to?”

“That was to Josh.”

“Alright... smirks”

https://streamable.com/v5uh9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Rex Burkhead back in training, the backfield is looking a lot stronger now, especially with Patterson looking decent back there too!

It was a good win against the Packers, I thought they give us more trouble on defense.
    Pity it wasn’t Brady/Rodgers with their previous high powered offenses; not enough games between those two.
    A lot of reports that Pats fans are swarming to Tennessee, heard maybe 30k at the game. Seems a popular destination.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It was a good win against the Packers, I thought they give us more trouble on defense.
    Pity it wasn’t Brady/Rodgers with their previous high powered offenses; not enough games between those two.
    A lot of reports that Pats fans are swarming to Tennessee, heard maybe 30k at the game. Seems a popular destination.
    Apparently it's the designated Pats away game so that's why there's so many.

No gronk for you lads tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Nashville has blown up as a party town recently. Seems to be a classier Vegas for the East Coast. Would love to go there for a game

Won’t be able to watch the Pats game today because I’m going to the Buccaneers Vs Redskins game. Hopefully I can sneak down to the concourse and try and catch the game there 😂

Hazys wrote: »
    Won’t be able to watch the Pats game today because I’m going to the Buccaneers Vs Redskins game. Hopefully I can sneak down to the concourse and try and catch the game there ��
    Hopefully you didn't catch it. Tough to watch on both sides of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

As bad as the Jags game if not worse.

Only shinning light is there are some very winnable games left in the season. Jets twice and Bills at home to name a few.

Gordon, 4 catches from 12 targets. He and Brady did not connect tonight.
    The good run was always gonna end. 3rd loss, all away from home.

It's going to be very hard to secure home-field advantage after today. Still in the hunt but a first round bye is probably the most we can hope for realistically. It'll probably hinge on the game at Pittsburgh again.

Good news is we're on a bye now and Gronk and Mason should both be back for the game at the Jets, and well, it's the Jets :pac:

• Advertisement

It's going to be very hard to secure home-field advantage after today. Still in the hunt but a first round bye is probably the most we can hope for realistically. It'll probably hinge on the game at Pittsburgh again.

Good news is we're on a bye now and Gronk and Mason should both be back for the game at the Jets, and well, it's the Jets :pac:
    Game against Steelers will probably decide who get a the first round bye, assuming Kansas continue on their form.

Third year in a row though that we have to travel to Pittsburgh?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

that was a surprise :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Game against Steelers will probably decide who get a the first round bye, assuming Kansas continue on their form

don't think so. The Steelers have a very tough schedule including the Chargers and Saints in New Orleans compared to the AFC East games NE has left. They're realistically in contention with the Chargers to decide seed 3/4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

dfx- wrote: »
    don't think so. The Steelers have a very tough schedule including the Chargers and Saints in New Orleans compared to the AFC East games NE has left. They're realistically in contention with the Chargers to decide seed 3/4

Chargers can only be 5 at best if Chiefs win division

dfx- wrote: »
    Ah ok, didn't know that. I was just going by their current form.

The OL was horrendous tonight. We were lucky Brady didn't go down with all the hits he took.

After a while to think about things it was like the middle of a double bye week.
    I keep harping on about how our players don't look up to it early in the season when we have a late bye week.
    Last night looked just like the first couple of weeks and I don't think it's an accident. I really do believe that the Patriots are planning these things to try and prevent injury and fatigue come playoff time.

Hopefully you didn't catch it. Tough to watch on both sides of the ball.

I was following the game game on the scoreboard in the stadium and caught some of it on the TVs on the concourse but it was easy to avoid as it looked like early on it wasn’t going to be our day. Unfortunately the Bucs Redskins game was pretty rubbish too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Brady has looked poor this season. Even with the OL issues, which TBH I've thought they've good great when healthy, he's been missing throws and reads he'd normally make in his sleep.

Offensive play calling has been weird too. Hogan and Dorsett have disappeared, we continue to ignore White regularly, and run when we should pass. That first series against the Packers was phenomenal, where has that been all year?

I don't see us going past the Divisional round this year unless something majot changes. AFC teams are likely to be

1. Chiefs
    2. Steelers
    3. Pats
    4. Texans
    5. Chargers
    6. Titans

I wouldn't be confident of beating any of them away from home.

• Advertisement

Brady has looked poor this season. Even with the OL issues, which TBH I've thought they've good great when healthy, he's been missing throws and reads he'd normally make in his sleep.

Offensive play calling has been weird too. Hogan and Dorsett have disappeared, we continue to ignore White regularly, and run when we should pass. That first series against the Packers was phenomenal, where has that been all year?

I don't see us going past the Divisional round this year unless something majot changes. AFC teams are likely to be

1. Chiefs
    2. Steelers
    3. Pats
    4. Texans
    5. Chargers
    6. Titans

I wouldn't be confident of beating any of them away from home.

We could get to the championship game, I still could see us taking the Steelers there, but no way we beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead. Its very late in the year to be putting out such an abysmal performance as that one to the Titans. Maybe the bye is what is needed to reinvigorate and get it right, but I think the defence played above itself for 2 weeks and gave us a false sense of security and as above, I too think Brady has been way off his normal form. He missed some terrible throws on Sunday, one that sticks out was an easy out to White where he over threw it by yards. He has gone away from Hogan altogether now too for whatever reason. Its good there is an option there in Gordon, but he was trying to force it too much on Sunday.

Advertisement