Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

eagle eye wrote: »
    The Bills are very capable of beating the Ravens this weekend.

I guess we want them to? (I'm always a bit hazy on seedings).
    But presumably whilst it would put us under pressure for AFC East it would be our best chance at #1 seed. As it looks the most difficult of Ravens remaining games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

This is not easy to watch. Need a score quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Less than 50 yards of offense in the 2nd quarter.
    Run game is sh*te and no faith in the other receivers with Edelman double teamed. Harry was on the field for a single snap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

me89 wrote: »
    This is not easy to watch. Need a score quick.
    Was watching Red Zone earlier. Highlights the immense lack of pace and dynamism in our offense. Nobody gets wide open, massively reliant on Jules to do it all. One of the drives where Dorest failed to turn around in time, and then Meyers drops an easy 1st down. It’s all just a lack of real talent.
    And the defence has shown its elite against the bad teams. They don’t put fear into any of the better playoff teams. Mahomes is hitting guys with nobody within 5yards of them.
    We’ll win the division, but at best we retain the 2 seed.

Was watching Red Zone earlier. Highlights the immense lack of pace and dynamism in our offense. Nobody gets wide open, massively reliant on Jules to do it all. One of the drives where Dorest failed to turn around in time, and then Meyers drops an easy 1st down. It’s all just a lack of real talent.
    And the defence has shown its elite against the bad teams. They don’t put fear into any of the better playoff teams. Mahomes is hitting guys with nobody within 5yards of them.
    We’ll win the division, but at best we retain the 2 seed.

All that and Brady running for his life, O line is terrible. Newhouse beat on the punt block.

• Advertisement

me89 wrote: »
    All that and Brady running for his life, O line is terrible. Newhouse beat on the punt block.
    Look at our last two 1st rounders. They don’t really contribute.
    This year, and last, there was so many WRs in and out of Foxboro. Yet Newhouse, a disaster on a weekly basis, is left to protect the QB without weapons or a run game....

Game is tied only for the refs being completely clueless.

Harry hardly used at all and then he has to to off injured.
    Sanu a complete bust so far.
    Michell getting absolutely no blocking help
    White lucky he gets any action
    And that leads to Edelman being doubled on every snap because he the only real option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Gotta win out now to get the 1st round bye

Defence excellent in the 2nd half. Refs were as bad as I have ever seen, 3 came changing calls really killed us.

O is so poor, O-line can't run or pass block, run game is non existent. The only way we move the ball is Edelman or trick play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Whole offence absolutely woeful bar Brady and Edelman. It's just far too easy to prevent us stringing together a drive. Game was lost in the first half and if it wasn't for an amazing defence and ST we would've gotten hammered.

Bills game is now massive, if it wasn't for the recent history the Bills would be easy favourites. In serious danger of losing the bye, which would obviously be disastrous. Bills win and they have the tie-breaker by my reckoning, due to their better conference record, provided they win out (open to correction). Just hope the Steelers can do us a favour to settle the nerves.

• Advertisement

Lucky to have Bengals and Dolphins to finish the season.
    Bill's game huge obviously but confident

As bad as the offense is right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Really wish we'd gone for Sanders instead of Sanu. Hard to see how this offense improves in the next few weeks. Have to imagine they're killing themselves in practice, to little effect on the field.

Harry and Michel are leaning heavily towards bust territory, even with the issues with blocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Its infuriating watching the refs call the game last night.

On the Harry TD, if the Pats had called a timeout would that have forced the officials to maybe look at the previous play or has that rule been changed this year? And the fumble return scoop. Whats maddening about the game is that they hold it up for an eternity over whether a punt is muffed or whether the gain line is reached and they wont look up at the jumbotron to confirm a foot is inbounds. Or even New York doesn’t dial into the officials to hold up play.

My only worry is with the Bills game is that like in previous years that the BYE week doesn’t seem so important to the team and they rest the starters like they did in a previous year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

BKWDR wrote: »
    Its infuriating watching the refs call the game last night.

On the Harry TD, if the Pats had called a timeout would that have forced the officials to maybe look at the previous play or has that rule been changed this year?
    And the fumble return scoop. Whats maddening about the game is that they hold it up for an eternity over whether a punt is muffed or whether the gain line is reached and they wont look up at the jumbotron to confirm a foot is inbounds. Or even New York doesn’t dial into the officials to hold up play.

My only worry is with the Bills game is that like in previous years that the BYE week doesn’t seem so important to the team and they rest the starters like they did in a previous year.

Because it was not ruled a TD there was nothing to review.
    And since New England were all out of challenges they could not throw the red flag.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

And since New England were all out of challenges they could not throw the red flag.

and they were out of challenges because of two terrible calls prior. That spot was wrong by a yeard and debatable whether it was a first down or not. The fumble was ridiculous, why blow the hwilstle so quickly? Same for Harrys TD. Call the touchdown, if he went out of bounds, it gets automatically reviewed. Then you have the play to Myers where the ref probably knows he f'ed up and calls the TD, so players go off, only to realise that another ref has signalled it down and screws up the next play too. 2 TD's, both challenges and 2 timeouts all lost because of really poor calls, not even dodgy or maybe, but absolute clear cut ones.

Despite all this, we had the ball inside the 5 with a minute to go to tie the game. It was still there to tie/win in spite of the poor refs and we didnt do it. Although I'm not as downbeat as I was after the Houston game, showed some glimpses of improvement I thought last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Yah i know that all scoring plays are reviewed. But am i wrong in saying that if a glaring call is made in relation to a play , the offence usually rush to the line to snap the ball off and the refs can blow the play dead to further review. How come that didnt happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

BKWDR wrote: »
    Yah i know that all scoring plays are reviewed. But am i wrong in saying that if a glaring call is made in relation to a play , the offence usually rush to the line to snap the ball off and the refs can blow the play dead to further review. How come that didnt happen?

Yes you are wrong.

Outside of the two minute warning coaches can challenge if they have a challenge left.

Inside of two minutes all challenges are initiated by the review officials.

This play was outside the two minute warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The fact the richest league in sports doesn't have professional refs is unforgivable. So many areas where simple , readily available technological fixes could improve the game. Why, in the name of From, are they using chains instead of a GPS chipped ball? Why make coaches challenge plays at all. Have a ****ing TMO like rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

The fact the richest league in sports doesn't have professional refs is unforgivable. So many areas where simple , readily available technological fixes could improve the game. Why, in the name of From, are they using chains instead of a GPS chipped ball? Why make coaches challenge plays at all. Have a ****ing TMO like rugby.

Is a GPS chipped ball accurate enough?

I see for phones it is accurate to within 4 meters. https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

Not sure the refs have ever been that badly wrong. However it makes you wonder if a different system could work given technology can be set pitch side. However I am unsure as to what accuracy you could get. Certainly we will end up there eventually.

They have the TMO. Reviewing every single play is going to slow down an already very slow sport. Note that there is a lot that does not get reviewed by a TMO in rugby for the same reason.

Certainly refs have been poor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I think that the rule of only 2 challenges is ridiculous.
    It should be amended to 2 wrong challenges, allow teams to keep a flag if their challenge was upheld.....

It was a struggle at times but the best thing about support this team is the fight and the fact they never know when there beaten. Most if not all other teams would of crumbled after half time but we always find some way to give ourselves a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Problem there is that with Tom and Julian as our entire offence, it's going to be an outside chance against every team with a good offence to challenge our D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Titans, Steelers or Bills would all fancy their chances (and love to) end the Brady era in Wildcard weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Chiefs had 10 penalties for 136 yards. Pats only had 5 penalties for 25 yards. The refs didn't help the Chiefs. There were bad calls on both sides but the refs definitely didn't favor the Chiefs

Chiefs had 10 penalties for 136 yards. Pats only had 5 penalties for 25 yards. The refs didn't help the Chiefs. There were bad calls on both sides but the refs definitely didn't favor the Chiefs

lol ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Look lads it's quite simple, our offense is awful right. Outside of Tom and Julian and possibly James White we do
    not have any other receiving options. Josh needs to go and work hard with these other players which is a very difficult thing to do in the late stages of the regular season.
    On top of that our OL cannot open a hole or block for a RB.
    There is just too much wrong with the offense.
    We've had great success for almost 20 years so I'm not going to get excited over one bad season for the offense. Hopefully we can have a great draft and put Brady in position for one more ring before he goes.

Hazys wrote: »
    lol ok

Want some cheese with that whine?

Just because you post this on multiple threads, it still doesn't justify making huge mistakes.
    Patriots were also given a very dubious PI call against Kelce. Refs were poor on both sides, got more wrong one way.

• Advertisement

Just because you post this on multiple threads, it still doesn't justify making huge mistakes.
    Patriots were also given a very dubious PI call against Kelce. Refs were poor on both sides, got more wrong one way.

Shoulda woulda coulda scenarios all day today. Billy blew two challenge flags and was out of challenges. Had he held one the Pats would have tied the game earlier on by reviewing the missed score. But he burned both challenges. Not the refs fault. Not the Chiefs fault. It's on Bill Belichick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Shoulda woulda coulda scenarios all day today. Billy blew two challenge flags and was out of challenges. Had he held one the Pats would have tied the game earlier on by reviewing the missed score. But he burned both challenges. Not the refs fault. Not the Chiefs fault. It's on Bill Belichick.

On this I actually thought the challenge on the spot was quite ambitious they were never going to overturn that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

You've come a long way from your "gee whiz, what a super cool sport this is, who should I support guys?" days a year ago.

Ah, classy as ever.

You've come a long way from your "gee whiz, what a super cool sport this is, who should I support guys?" days a year ago.

Flattered you remembered me or took the time to search old posts

How far I’ve come indeed.

You don’t bring a knife to a gunfight.

Good luck for the rest of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You just said it wasn't the officials fault that they called a player out of bounds when he wasn't. You do realise you just said that?
    I'm not into excuses myself and I'm not worried about it either because we've been spoiled foe the last twenty years.
    I've a feeling that you are a hater of winners though. It's something I've had to get used to over the last twenty years it really doesn't bother me but when you come out and say it wasn't the officials fault that they made a huge error then you have a problem.

• Advertisement

You okay there?

Easy to use up your two challenges when the refs are making multiple mistakes.
    Hardly "blew" them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You okay there?

Easy to use up your two challenges when the refs are making multiple mistakes.
    Hardly "blew" them

He should have had 3 challenges to work with if he used them correctly.

I wouldn't use the same terms as the other poster but throwing a flag on the spot was a poor challenge. You rarely see any coach win either of the things he challenged unless they are blatant and neither of them was here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Haters out in force now

paulie21 wrote: »
    Haters out in force now

anyone wanting to actually discuss or debate the latest "spygate" scandal is not worth engaging with. As far as non stories go, this is well up there. The chiefs gear was mislaid for a while on Sunday, yet the amount of people on social media saying that "this sort of stuff only happens with the Patriots" was unreal. It is beyond pointless to even try explain it off or engage in it.

bruschi wrote: »
    anyone wanting to actually discuss or debate the latest "spygate" scandal is not worth engaging with. As far as non stories go, this is well up there. The chiefs gear was mislaid for a while on Sunday, yet the amount of people on social media saying that "this sort of stuff only happens with the Patriots" was unreal. It is beyond pointless to even try explain it off or engage in it.

Can you point to any legitimate source that was making anything other than a joke about the Chief's gear? Serious levels of preciousness to take offense to those kind of jokes.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Can you point to any legitimate source that was making anything other than a joke about the Chief's gear? Serious levels of preciousness to take offense to those kind of jokes.

I thought you'd have it in your Rolodex of negative Pats stories Foxtrol, you post about the Patriots more than anybody else :pac:

Remember when there were pages of posts saying that the Patriots and the mastermind Antonio Brown conducted an elaborate ploy to get AB cut from the Raiders so that he could sign with the Pats and there should be an NFL investigation into it?

That narrative died suddenly once it didn't end up for the Pats favorably and people found out that AB was a complete lunatic but the Pats condone rape or something...

I thought you'd have it in your Rolodex of negative Pats stories Foxtrol, you post about the Patriots more than anybody else :pac:

Sounds like that victim mentality playing up again. I'll get out my violin :pac:

Remember when there were pages of posts saying that the Patriots and the mastermind Antonio Brown conducted an elaborate ploy to get AB cut from the Raiders so that he could sign with the Pats and there should be an NFL investigation into it?

That narrative died suddenly once it didn't end up for the Pats favorably and people found out that AB was a complete lunatic but the Pats condone rape or something...

Oh that same narrative that was said about the Raiders when AB earlier pushed to get out of the Steelers? The one that certain people refused to accept happened so they could play the victim and talk about 'haters'?

why would I do that? I never claimed at any stage that a legitimate source said anything. I said people on social media, much like yourself.

There was nothing precious about it, just that no matter what happens concerning the Patriots, regardless of if it is to do with them or not, the Patriots will always have people calling them out, whether it is deserved or not. There is nothing precious about that, other than it not worth bothering to debate with someone if they are that level trolling.

why would I do that? I never claimed at any stage that a legitimate source said anything. I said people on social media, much like yourself.

Then why are you complaining about random people on social media having a joke? Even the Massachusetts police joked about winning by forfeit.
    There was nothing precious about it, just that no matter what happens concerning the Patriots, regardless of if it is to do with them or not, the Patriots will always have people calling them out, whether it is deserved or not. There is nothing precious about that, other than it not worth bothering to debate with someone if they are that level trolling.

You're talking as if the reputation the Patriots have is completely unwarranted, when instead we have numerous examples of them both pushing rules to the absolute extreme and flat out cheating.

It's like an Antonio Brown fan complaining that people on social media are bringing up him doing crazy stuff, whether it is deserved or not in a given instance.

Then why are you complaining about random people on social media having a joke? Even the Massachusetts police joked about winning by forfeit.

You're talking as if the reputation the Patriots have is completely unwarranted, when instead we have numerous examples of them both pushing rules to the absolute extreme and flat out cheating.

It's like an Antonio Brown fan complaining that people on social media are bringing up him doing crazy stuff, whether it is deserved or not in a given instance.

Plenty of people were not joking, thats the point. The Patriots being involved in anything just sets people off. We dont have to have read the same things on the internet, but believe me, plenty of people were making the suggestion that the Patriots had something to do with it.

I have said nothing about the Patriots reputation. In your usual argumentative tone, you've come barging in making arguments against things that were never said.

Both stories from the weekend are non entities. If people want to go into huge detail to analyse them or discuss them or throw out the usual Patriots cheater tag, then I've little interest in discussing it with them. As with most things, if this wasnt the Patriots, it would barely command any commentary.

Plenty of people were not joking, thats the point. The Patriots being involved in anything just sets people off. We dont have to have read the same things on the internet, but believe me, plenty of people were making the suggestion that the Patriots had something to do with it.

Come on, no person you should be paying any attention to was legitimately saying the Patriots did anything to the Chiefs gear. You can't be taking offense to what every crazy person posts online.
    I have said nothing about the Patriots reputation. In your usual argumentative tone, you've come barging in making arguments against things that were never said.

It says it all that you seem to be unaware that the Patriots reputation is why people are making jokes and commenting about the weekend. You mightn't like it but you can't separate the two.
    Both stories from the weekend are non entities. If people want to go into huge detail to analyse them or discuss them or throw out the usual Patriots cheater tag, then I've little interest in discussing it with them. As with most things, if this wasnt the Patriots, it would barely command any commentary.

I'd argue that if the Patriots were whiter than white and didn't have a history of pushing rules to the limits and flat out cheating then it wouldn't command the same commentary.

Things are highlighted more, joked about, and discussed when they fit into narratives that people know - Browns being Browns, AB being crazy, OBJ being a diva, Patriots cheating.

Come on, no person you should be paying any attention to was legitimately saying the Patriots did anything to the Chiefs gear. You can't be taking offense to what every crazy person posts online.

It says it all that you seem to be unaware that the Patriots reputation is why people are making jokes and commenting about the weekend. You mightn't like it but you can't separate the two.

I'd argue that if the Patriots were whiter than white and didn't have a history of pushing rules to the limits and flat out cheating then it wouldn't command the same commentary.

Things are highlighted more, joked about, and discussed when they fit into narratives that people know - Browns being Browns, AB being crazy, OBJ being a diva, Patriots cheating.

But again, you're arguing a point no one made. I've literally said its not worthwhile engaging with anyone who is taking either of these things seriously. I'm also not taking offence, I'm saying its low level trolling not worth engaging with.

Yes, the Patriots have a reputation, but it doesnt mean it has to be taken as a debatable point when something like this comes up. Its a nothing story. People hear the Patriots and even not understanding what was illegal about spygate just throw it out there with no reason other than to just show they dont like the Patriots. So be it, on this Patriots thread, it doesnt mean people should or need to debate with anyone who comes on and starts at that.

Theres very little more I have to say on it. It is what it is.

But again, you're arguing a point no one made. I've literally said its not worthwhile engaging with anyone who is taking either of these things seriously. I'm also not taking offence, I'm saying its low level trolling not worth engaging with.

Yes, the Patriots have a reputation, but it doesnt mean it has to be taken as a debatable point when something like this comes up. Its a nothing story.

A team that previously found to have cheated using video recordings has admitted to breaking the rules again. You mightn't like it but it is a story that people will discuss, whether it is the Patriots or any other team.
    People hear the Patriots and even not understanding what was illegal about spygate just throw it out there with no reason other than to just show they dont like the Patriots.

I know exactly what is illegal about spygate and I think if anything the lack of knowledge is what stops it from being a bigger thing with people. There is a specific reason why taping in certain areas is only allowed and Patriots were breaking the rule for 7 years.
    So be it, on this Patriots thread, it doesnt mean people should or need to debate with anyone who comes on and starts at that.

Theres very little more I have to say on it. It is what it is.

Well neither issue had been mentioned on this thread until you came in to complain about what random people were saying on social media.

• Advertisement
Advertisement