Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Another typical offseason, watching all our players leave, waiting forlornly for some signings. Only this time, it's Brady we're waiting on. You have to think the uncertainty about Brady is impacting our ability to attract talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Another typical offseason, watching all our players leave, waiting forlornly for some signings. Only this time, it's Brady we're waiting on. You have to think the uncertainty about Brady is impacting our ability to attract talent.
    How would it make us less attractive than any other team? Do you think a defensive player cares about Brady? You don't think that the chance to play under Bill Belichick would be an incentive to come to New England?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Sad to see KVN go, what a player he turned into.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's one of those situations where you don't even like to be right, I called this a good while back but it still stings as you didn't ever fully believe it would end until it officially ended I guess.

The goat will always be a Patriot, he has earned the right to play his football where he chooses next season. Owes us absolutely nothing after giving so much over the past 20 years.

End of an era

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

tenor.gif?itemid=7890251

eagle eye wrote: »
    How would it make us less attractive than any other team? Do you think a defensive player cares about Brady? You don't think that the chance to play under Bill Belichick would be an incentive to come to New England?

Players come to NE to win. Without Brady, we're not winning anytime soon imo

• Advertisement

These messages sound like he has been told he is s not getting a contract with the Patriots rather than he has signed up with somebody else.

Players come to NE to win. Without Brady, we're not winning anytime soon imo
    So it's got nothing to do with Belichick? Are you for real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I guess maybe he wants to prove himself without Belichick maybe do a Manning win one more somewhere else and ride off into the sunset.

So it's got nothing to do with Belichick? Are you for real?

Belichick wasn't the one on the field. People undervalue massively how much Brady weighs in our victories.

I think they like Stidham a lot. I said last season that he looked ready to start. It was hard to tell where Tom was at last season, he didn't have the receiving corp to show off his talents. He didn't look good in a few games though even when understanding the lack of receiving talent.

Belichick wasn't the one on the field. People undervalue massively how much Brady weighs in our victories.
    Nobody undervalued Brady, he is the GOAT. You don't have to be as good as Tom to win a Superbowl so long as you have the right coach and personnel.

Nobody undervalued Brady, he is the GOAT. You don't have to be as good as Tom to win a Superbowl so long as you have the right coach and personnel.

We still don't have personnel, and now we don't have Brady either. Tank for Trevor, or trade for Tua?

Just sad as **** right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

A day that's been coming for a while, but still a dagger. Will hurt again when he signs elsewhere. Just hope it's NFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think we could feel it coming and now it's official. The GOAT is moving on and I can't blame him. Last season he had the worse WR corp in football, the year before that wasn't much better. Ya we won the SB but as always, that was on Brady's shoulders. You can only kick a dog so much before it gets up and leaves and it's time Brady got quality O line protection and a quality WR corp.

In his entire career, the only truly elite WR he had was Moss and Moss was at the tail end of his career when that happened. I posted here years ago about the disrespect towards Brady. The priority on high draft defensive picks, while Brady was always expected to work his majic with nobody's.

Every Superbowl we won was done on the field, it was a 4th quarter game winning drive by Brady. He is the GOAT and we owe him everything because he spent his career doing the impossible. And no other elite QB would allow themselves to be treated that way Tom has been, like a rookie. Or take all those pay cuts.

So I hope Tom ends up with a great WR corp and quality O line protection, because it's the very least he deserves. And if we met his team in a Superbowl? I'll be rooting for Brady, because without his on field brilliance these past 20 years, the Patriots would be nothing without him.:mad:

So thanks Belichick, thanks for pushing Tom away. For giving him a sh1t WR corp and average protection. Ya knew Bob didn't want Tom gone, so by giving Brady crap support, you eventually wore him down and he got sick of it. That's how I feel about it and nothing will make me feel any different. Honestly, I'd love now if Bob if made his move and replaced Belichick.

Ya he's a coaching legend but he can count his blessings he had the GOAT on his team and that the GOAT put up with him these past 20 years. Brady deserved some respect and dignity for all he has done. And the fact that he has had to leave, makes it pretty clear he wasn't getting it. So Go Tom!! Go and win your 7th ring. Because you deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

McLoughlin wrote: »
    I guess maybe he wants to prove himself without Belichick maybe do a Manning win one more somewhere else and ride off into the sunset.
    I think it’s a case of Bill wanting to move on. There’s been no real reports of a solid offer from the Pats. Let’s face it, Brady should have gotten his extension after the last SB win; he earned the trust to keep going for a few more years.

I don’t hold it against Bill if he feels it the right decision. But I can’t see how the Pats will improve. When you think of the OL issues last year, the poor running game, with Edelman’s injuries and drops, the collection of WRs who made Kenbrell Thompkins look good,..... I think Brady made it look better than what it was.

Massive risk to Bills legacy if we go below .500 this year. Huge rebuild needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I hope wherever he goes he gets his 7th ring...

I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that he wasn't getting paid fully by BB, who at the same time wasn't investing that money well enough to improve his odds of winning.

So far in FA we have done nothing but get worse on both sides of the ball.....
    Whats the point in haging around for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think it’s a case of Bill wanting to move on. There’s been no real reports of a solid offer from the Pats. Let’s face it, Brady should have gotten his extension after the last SB win; he earned the trust to keep going for a few more years.

I don’t hold it against Bill if he feels it the right decision. But I can’t see how the Pats will improve. When you think of the OL issues last year, the poor running game, with Edelman’s injuries and drops, the collection of WRs who made Kenbrell Thompkins look good,..... I think Brady made it look better than what it was.

Massive risk to Bills legacy if we go below .500 this year. Huge rebuild needed.

He did get an extension, the one that allowed him to void the last year and be an unrestricted free agent this season.

He was also apparently offered a contract during the season but turned it down wanting to wait till the end of the season to make a decision.

It is what it is unfortunately. I don't feel the need to denigrate one or the other here. It looks to me more like Brady wants to move on rather than being forced out or not wanted. Though I do think bill would be quite happy to move on too, it's how he is.

For it to make sense for Brady to come back, for him, too many things needed to happen this off season that are not BBs style.

He did try last year to get him weapons and it blew up in his face. There's a big rebuild ahead.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

He did get an extension, the one that allowed him to void the last year and be an unrestricted free agent this season.
    A proper extension is what I meant, I think he’s earned that. Had that been available, I don’t think that void year would have existed.

Might as well go with Stidham with a cheap backup veteran, don’t want to see any of the pricer QBs come in.

He
    He did try last year to get him weapons and it blew up in his face. There's a big rebuild ahead.
    AB fell into their lap, it wasn’t planned. When you think of the rest of the roster, it wasn’t much in the way of weapons, certainly not elite or top class weapons.

The day without TB was always gonna come around. Just didn’t think the roster would look so bare when it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

AB fell into their lap, it wasn’t planned. When you think of the rest of the roster, it wasn’t much in the way of weapons, certainly not elite or top class weapons.

The day without TB was always gonna come around. Just didn’t think the roster would look so bare when it did.

It is more that their investments didn't work out than they didn't make the investments.

Aside from AB, in 2019 they spent a 1st round pick on a WR, traded a 2nd round pick for Sanu and in 2018 they spent a 1st round pick on a RB and traded for Gordon.

That is a greater priority on weapons than most teams, they just ended up being bad moves (at this point).

If you are coming on here saying you will shout for Brady in another uniform against the Patriots you need to check yourself.
    I'll never shout for any player over the Patriots.
    Brady is so long around that people fear the unknown given how successful we have been with him leading the offense. I have faith in Bill and Bob. I think they'll get it right and I may be proven wrong but I have a feeling that Stidham will be the starter and an impressive one this season.
    I'm hurting like everybody else right now but I realise how lucky we've been the the last twenty years to have the greatest owner, head coach and quarterback all under one roof.
    A lot of great players have moved on over the years, this is another one and it just happens to be the man we all saw go from a no-hoper backup to the GOAT.
    I believe we'll continue to win more games than we lose because we still have the greatest owner and head coach.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It is more that their investments didn't work out than they didn't make the investments.
    Every team makes investments. When you look at the Patriots weapons, I can't imagine many teams being envious.
    • in 2019 they spent a 1st round pick on a WR - (32nd overall) Who IMO will never be a real top class WR. Doesn't get separation, uses his size and strength. We saw he'll get a few catches a game, but I can't see him being a true No1.
    • traded a 2nd round pick for Sanu - Not a great trade, it was desperation and reflected the state of the WR position. He needs a true No1 to allow him to do his thing. Had some terrible drops as well.
    • in 2018 they spent a 1st round pick on a RB - (31st overall) Waste of a first rounder. Much like Harry, could have traded their first and picked up Sony Michel in the 2nd round. When the OL was good in '18 he was decent, when it wasn't in '19 he was bettered by the 6th rounder Burkehead.
    • traded for Gordon - A decent WR pickup, but well past his elite best.

And (I forgot as they were so forgettable) for TE, it was terrible last year. They'd the ghost of Gronk in '18, but '19 had pretty much nothing from that position. 38yr old Ben Watson (now retired), Matt LaCosse and Ryan Izzo (36 receptions combined from that position, less than 1 a game).

Again, I don't see any team looking at the Patriots and think top class weapons. It's not like they traded up (like they did with Jones/Hightower in '12) to get some real talent. Bad moves for the most part (picking up Gordon cheaply was fine, needing to rely on him was not). Looking at the roster, it's a hell of a job for Bill in '20.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Every team makes investments. When you look at the Patriots weapons, I can't imagine many teams being envious.
    • in 2019 they spent a 1st round pick on a WR - (32nd overall) Who IMO will never be a real top class WR. Doesn't get separation, uses his size and strength. We saw he'll get a few catches a game, but I can't see him being a true No1.
    • traded a 2nd round pick for Sanu - Not a great trade, it was desperation and reflected the state of the WR position. He needs a true No1 to allow him to do his thing. Had some terrible drops as well.
    • in 2018 they spent a 1st round pick on a RB - (31st overall) Waste of a first rounder. Much like Harry, could have traded their first and picked up Sony Michel in the 2nd round. When the OL was good in '18 he was decent, when it wasn't in '19 he was bettered by the 6th rounder Burkehead.
    • traded for Gordon - A decent WR pickup, but well past his elite best.

And (I forgot as they were so forgettable) for TE, it was terrible last year. They'd the ghost of Gronk in '18, but '19 had pretty much nothing from that position. 38yr old Ben Watson (now retired), Matt LaCosse and Ryan Izzo (36 receptions combined from that position, less than 1 a game).

Again, I don't see any team looking at the Patriots and think top class weapons. It's not like they traded up (like they did with Jones/Hightower in '12) to get some real talent. Bad moves for the most part (picking up Gordon cheaply was fine, needing to rely on him was not). Looking at the roster, it's a hell of a job for Bill in '20.

Again, I'm not saying that teams are envious of the Patriots weapons however I'm seeing it implied by a few posters that it was a decision by Bill to purposefully not give these weapons to Brady, when the facts don't simply agree with this. Teams rarely invest 1st round picks in back to back years on weapons on the offense, but the Patriots did.

With a mix of skill and luck the Patriots hit on more talent than they missed over the last 20 years or so. They're going through a phase where they aren't getting the return on offense in neither FA or the draft and are even trading guys away for low return that look like good players elsewhere (Hollister).

I'm seeing it implied by a few posters that it was a decision by Bill to purposefully not give these weapons to Brady
    I think Bill May have focused on the D more than the offense, but the quality of the weapons brought in was a miss (in a big way). I don’t think it was a conscious decision to somehow deprive Brady, just poor decisions/picks.
    Teams rarely invest 1st round picks in back to back years on weapons on the offense, but the Patriots did.
    I agree. But I’d also say teams rarely let their weapons age so much, have potential to retire, or get into a poor situation that requires back to back 1st rounders (at the very end of the first round).
    With a mix of skill and luck the Patriots hit on more talent than they missed over the last 20 years or so.
    It’s worked largely cause of Brady. Moss (for 2yrs with Brady) and Gronk (9 yrs, with a number cut short) are HOF, great on any team. The rest are known due to playing with the GOAT.
    This year, Pats would have been maybe 8:8 with a lesser QB. The D killed the lesser teams, but couldn’t stop the better sides with a quality offense.

Hollister was ok in Seattle, but he wasn’t good enough. Better than what the Pats had in ‘19, but there’s no contender racing to sign him. Can’t think of anyone in NE wishing we hadn’t lost Hollister.

There’ll be some anger now, it’s all raw. But it’ll be fine. Brady will be back to retire, slip on his red jacket, hugs and smiles on everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I think we could feel it coming and now it's official. The GOAT is moving on and I can't blame him. Last season he had the worse WR corp in football, the year before that wasn't much better. Ya we won the SB but as always, that was on Brady's shoulders. You can only kick a dog so much before it gets up and leaves and it's time Brady got quality O line protection and a quality WR corp.

In his entire career, the only truly elite WR he had was Moss and Moss was at the tail end of his career when that happened. I posted here years ago about the disrespect towards Brady. The priority on high draft defensive picks, while Brady was always expected to work his majic with nobody's.

Every Superbowl we won was done on the field, it was a 4th quarter game winning drive by Brady. He is the GOAT and we owe him everything because he spent his career doing the impossible. And no other elite QB would allow themselves to be treated that way Tom has been, like a rookie. Or take all those pay cuts.

So I hope Tom ends up with a great WR corp and quality O line protection, because it's the very least he deserves. And if we met his team in a Superbowl? I'll be rooting for Brady, because without his on field brilliance these past 20 years, the Patriots would be nothing without him.:mad:

So thanks Belichick, thanks for pushing Tom away. For giving him a sh1t WR corp and average protection. Ya knew Bob didn't want Tom gone, so by giving Brady crap support, you eventually wore him down and he got sick of it. That's how I feel about it and nothing will make me feel any different. Honestly, I'd love now if Bob if made his move and replaced Belichick.

Ya he's a coaching legend but he can count his blessings he had the GOAT on his team and that the GOAT put up with him these past 20 years. Brady deserved some respect and dignity for all he has done. And the fact that he has had to leave, makes it pretty clear he wasn't getting it. So Go Tom!! Go and win your 7th ring. Because you deserve it.

What an absolute bunch of claptrap.

The ramblings of a bandwagon fan. That's the type of sh!te Skip Bayless / Stephen A. Smith would come out with when asked to generate something clickbait-y

A so-called Patriots fan who is now a Buccaneers fan because Belichick deliberately sabotaged the 2019 season to force Tom Brady out.

If Barstool Sports came out with that dross, you'd know straight away they were just trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What an absolute bunch of claptrap.

The ramblings of a bandwagon fan. That's the type of sh!te Skip Bayless / Stephen A. Smith would come out with when asked to generate something clickbait-y

A so-called Patriots fan who is now a Buccaneers fan because Belichick deliberately sabotaged the 2019 season to force Tom Brady out.

If Barstool Sports came out with that dross, you'd know straight away they were just trolling.

He/she sounds exactly like the types who call into WEEi.

Been listening to them for years, great entertainment.

So Tsmpa Bay it is. Not sure how that one is going to work out. Arians is going to have to make a lot if changes to his playbook I think. TB has never had the greatest deep ball and Arians has a lot of that in his playbook.
    Evans and Godwin is a hell of an upgrade in receivers though.

Danny Shelton joins Jamie Collins in moving to Detroit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

So Tsmpa Bay it is. Not sure how that one is going to work out. Arians is going to have to make a lot if changes to his playbook I think. TB has never had the greatest deep ball and Arians has a lot of that in his playbook.
    Evans and Godwin is a hell of an upgrade in receivers though.
    That's how I see it, he went where he'd have the best receivers for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

That Tampa offence is ridiculous, and they had the #5 defence last season.
    If you cut out even half of those picks winston had they'd have been very serious contendors....

Danny Shelton joins Jamie Collins in moving to Detroit.

Harmon traded to the Lions

Ted Karras gone to Miami too. He was very good depth to have.

Just on Tampa, Breshard Perriman played really well when he got more playing time due to injuries to Evans and Godfrey. I'd like to see the Patriots pick him up. Perriman is a former first round pick of the Ravens who spent most of his time there on injured reserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

If you are coming on here saying you will shout for Brady in another uniform against the Patriots you need to check yourself.
    I'll never shout for any player over the Patriots.

Brady is so long around that people fear the unknown given how successful we have been with him leading the offense. I have faith in Bill and Bob. I think they'll get it right and I may be proven wrong but I have a feeling that Stidham will be the starter and an impressive one this season.
    I'm hurting like everybody else right now but I realise how lucky we've been the the last twenty years to have the greatest owner, head coach and quarterback all under one roof.
    A lot of great players have moved on over the years, this is another one and it just happens to be the man we all saw go from a no-hoper backup to the GOAT.
    I believe we'll continue to win more games than we lose because we still have the greatest owner and head coach.

That's fair enough for you.
    I can fully understand a Patriots “fan” preferring to follow a player over a club. Particularly a franachise. & esp. in Brady’s case.
    Never understood the die hard allegiance of supporting a club unless you are born and/or raised in the area.
    e.g.
    born in Dublin and will always support St.Patricks Athletic. even though Eddie Gormley was the “goat” to me!
    Lived in Boston in 2000-01 and have since followed Patriots and been enraptured by the Brady/Belichick era. Either or both of those leaving is the end of that story.
    A brilliant new story now to unfold - Can either of them win without the other? Brilliant. My money is on Bill!
    Im clearly not a diehard Patriots fan like you and I honestly don’t know would I be that disappointed if Tampa/Brady beat the Patriots in a Super Bowl.

Can I ask you this Qs? Would you still support the Patriots if they moved somewhere else? Genuinely interested to know.

• Advertisement

this offseason seems even worse than usual for being a firesale for our FAs. Can't see many being too attracted to come in, given the uncertainty of the future.

Can I ask you this Qs? Would you still support the Patriots if they moved somewhere else? Genuinely interested to know.
    No, if they left New England I'd be without a team.
    I was a Patriots fan from the mid-80's and a season ticket holder for just over 2 1/2 seasons.
    I wouldn't be a Patriots fan now only for Bob Kraft buying them and keeping the franchise in New England.

A brilliant new story now to unfold - Can either of them win without the other? Brilliant. My money is on Bill!
    In the next 2 years, which is maybe all Brady has left, I'd have my money on Brady. The Pats are in a total rebuild mode now; they look weaker on defense and offense than last year (draft and signings obviously will be made before it becomes clearer).

No, if they left New England I'd be without a team.
    I was a Patriots fan from the mid-80's and a season ticket holder for just over 2 1/2 seasons.
    I wouldn't be a Patriots fan now only for Bob Kraft buying them and keeping the franchise in New England.

thats understandable. i actually thought you might have been a "Boston Patriots" supporter!

Imagine how the Colts fans felt when they left Baltimore
    “If they want to start out from the beginning, that’s fine, but they have no right to anything that happened in Baltimore. Records have never made any difference to me. Anyone who knows me realizes that. But I can’t identify with Indianapolis.” - Johnny Unitas

I was actually disappointed when the Colts won the SB. But you cant not like Tony Dungy.

In the next 2 years, which is maybe all Brady has left, I'd have my money on Brady. The Pats are in a total rebuild mode now; they look weaker on defense and offense than last year (draft and signings obviously will be made before it becomes clearer).

49ers might want to get rid of that lad who cant throw the ball!

Who could they get to replace Brady?
    Bill surely has hatched another plan post JimmyG.

Elandon Roberts joins the exodus by signing for Miami. Poor Hightower has lost all his mates.

49ers might want to get rid of that lad who cant throw the ball!

Who could they get to replace Brady?
    Bill surely has hatched another plan post JimmyG.

SF ain't getting rid of Jimmy, he'll be there for a while.
    I don't see them trading up for a QB, so they'll go with Stidham and a veteran.
    I was actually disappointed when the Colts won the SB. But you cant not like Tony Dungy.
    I don't like him. Can't say I dislike him either, but def don't like him.

thats understandable. i actually thought you might have been a "Boston Patriots" supporter!

Imagine how the Colts fans felt when they left Baltimore
    “If they want to start out from the beginning, that’s fine, but they have no right to anything that happened in Baltimore. Records have never made any difference to me. Anyone who knows me realizes that. But I can’t identify with Indianapolis.” - Johnny Unitas

He's a **** and homophobic. Pats hater to the death as well, can't stand him.

So Colts winning the SB was a bad thing.
    i feel much better about my gut instinct at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Just throwing this into the mix, I think Flacco could well be a contender here when he is cut by the Broncos.

A veteran, fairly reliable if called upon, play off experience and will definitely be going very cheap.

If he can be lured there on the guise of starting/competing for the starting job then I could see it happening.

Advertisement