Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I was reading MMQB today and they mentioned that the new regime in Detroit might want to start afresh without Stafford. If there's nobody in the draft that Bill fancies (and we're now down to pick #15), he wouldn't be the worst veteran to get in, still 32 so would have 5/6 serviceable years. Big contract for 2 years but that could be restructured, Pats have decent cap space.

I'd definitely take that, he's a very good QB imo. Suffered for the team he's been on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't know how we managed to win it. I'm nearly at the stage of hoping we don't win, I could never really do that, so we have a better chance at getting a really good QB in the draft.

I just dont see that happening.
    As much as a new 1st round caliber QB is what we need, you know Bill instead will spend the pick on a D-Lineman he's fallen in love with instead and hope to pick up a QB they can develop in the 3rd...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

BizzyC wrote:
    I just dont see that happening. As much as a new 1st round caliber QB is what we need, you know Bill instead will spend the pick on a D-Lineman he's fallen in love with instead and hope to pick up a QB they can develop in the 3rd...
    We did that when we had Brady, different times.
    He's had a franchise QB for his whole time in New England, Bledsoe then Brady, up until this season.
    There's no way to know what he'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

We need a lot of things to go our way to sneak into the playoffs, but the Jets have done us a bit favour by beating the Raiders. Hopefully I'm not jumping the gun here.

We need a lot of things to go our way to sneak into the playoffs, but the Jets have done us a bit favour by beating the Raiders. Hopefully I'm not jumping the gun here.

Nope. Jets gonna Jet. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

:D

What date is the Superbowl again?

;)

They say defense and a running game wins playoff games.
    Just need to get there now. 

Defence, Special Teams, Running the ball....that's some playoff contending work.

I was a little more optimistic this morning on the prospect of making the playoffs if we can win out, but looking at the tables now, Raiders, Ravens and Colts are all in the hunt and 2 of them could easily end up ahead of us in the chase regardless of what we do.
    If we still squeak to a 10-6 record and miss the playoffs while the Eagles are celebrating their 5-10-1 division winning record I'll be pretty pissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

BizzyC wrote: »
    Defence, Special Teams, Running the ball....that's some playoff contending work.

I was a little more optimistic this morning on the prospect of making the playoffs if we can win out, but looking at the tables now, Raiders, Ravens and Colts are all in the hunt and 2 of them could easily end up ahead of us in the chase regardless of what we do.
    If we still squeak to a 10-6 record and miss the playoffs while the Eagles are celebrating their 5-10-1 division winning record I'll be pretty pissed.

Not like we've ever missed the playoffs with a 10-6 before :D
    #cassel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

ELM327 wrote: »
    #cassel

That was 11-5 we missed out with actually

#cassel

11-5, first time a team with 11 wins missed the playoffs...
    And I remember that year there was uproar that a team with 11 wins could miss while an 8-8 Chargers got in.

I thought we were 10 and 6 that year, in fact I was sure.
    But yeah, looking back on the season records, 11-5 and we missed out on winning the division by 1 conference game.

Big game tonight now. If the Bills lose, they still have to face the Steelers and us again. Dolphins have to face the Chiefs and us. They have to face each other as well. We win out we can tie both if they lose one other game, that's if the Bills lose tonight obviously.
    I can't believe we still have a possibility of winning the division.

Go niners!!!

It's not inconceivable that we win the division still.

First and foremost, we need to take care of our own business and win out. That would include wins over Buffalo and Miami. After that, we would need:

- Steelers beat Buffalo this week
    - Chiefs beat Miami this week

Both of those are possible (perhaps even probable) but we would also need Miami to beat Buffalo in Week 17.

I'd say the least likely of all that to happen is us winning out. We're just not that good.
    I'd be very very happy with a wildcard spot.

Currently in 10th so it's by no means certain of even that
    https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-standings-division-conference-wild-card-playoffs-2020/

I see we've waived Isaiah Ford after trading for him, and now he's expected to be re-signed by the Dolphins....

That was a nice way for Bill to give Flores some free draft capital.....

Well Moncrief has been with us a while now, if he's gotten back to anywhere near where he was a couple of years ago he'll be a great addition.
    Ford never worked out, these things happen. Cut your losses and move on. It was only a conditional seventh rounder.

Tough ask tonight. Cam will need to help his OL out with quick passing, which hasn't exactly been a stong point so far.

• Advertisement

Passing has been awful this year to be frank. I don't think it's all on Cam's shoulders (nor should it be) but our game is now very much on the run heavy bias coupled with a strong redzone defense. I don't expect that to change much against the rams

Passing has been awful this year to be frank. I don't think it's all on Cam's shoulders (nor should it be) but our game is now very much on the run heavy bias coupled with a strong redzone defense. I don't expect that to change much against the rams

Nobody has been passing against the Rams anyway, should be much of an issue for the Pats gameplan

Exactly. If anything it suits our strengths. I think for a few years now we've been better on Defense and the run game than the passing game - even with TB12 at the helm. TB was a game manager (and I'm one of his biggest fans) for the last few years, which is one of his strengths. Reading the game on the fly and adjusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

17 points down with a QB who can't throw the ball. Might be time to go asleep.

It's not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's not good but everything is clicking for the Rams. They're even getting slices of luck like the tip on Kupp's TD that didn't bobble it as much as it might have or the Neutral Zone bluff call just before it.

Just one of those nights.

• Advertisement

Isn't it about time now that we gave Stidham a few games and see if he's got anything? We need to know if we need one or two QB's for next year.

Isn't it about time now that we gave Stidham a few games and see if he's got anything? We need to know if we need one or two QB's for next year.

Ask and you shall receive.

He's just in for the last 10min.

Ask and you shall receive.
    He's just in for the last 10min.
    That's no good though. He needs to be told yes the starter and get the reps with the starters. Obviously from watching this they have to work on pass blocking instead of run blocking.

That's no good though. He needs to be told yes the starter and get the reps with the starters. Obviously from watching this they have to work on pass blocking instead of run blocking.

Completely agree.

You'd have to wonder though. If after tonight he's not starting next week then he has got to be done there.

Well then, boy do I feel silly for talking about paths to winning the division yesterday.

• Advertisement

Well then, boy do I feel silly for talking about paths to winning the division yesterday.

lol. I did say the hardest part of all was us winning out:pac:

Yup, make him starter now IMO

Well Bill has come out with "Cam is our QB" so I dont think he'll be taking him out for now....

The blocking was terrible last night. Aside from the O Line getting beat, more than once Harris completely missed the inside rusher and went to the edge leaving Cam to get drilled.
    That pick 6 was unforgivable though, throw the ball away, there were more rams around that screen than patriots and he still lobbed it in there.
    I was really disappointed in the Run D as well, they gouged us open with ease.

At this point the playoff hunt is well and truly over.
    We need 4 other teams to tank the last couple games to have a chance...I doubt even the most optimistic among us still holds out any hope now.

9 WR's drafted by the Pats in the past 10 years.

7 are out of the NFL.
    1 (Berrios) never played a snap for the Patriots.
    1 (Harry) still standing.

9 of those should be out of the NFL by now!

I still think Harry could be turned into a good receiver, but he needs a lot of coaching up over the next few years which helps us not at all....
    He's a big guy who doesn't use his size...he's trying to run around people and get separation like a lighter receiver would.
    He needs to lower his shoulder off the line and beat the DB up to create separation for himself.

It's like he's trying to emulate Larry Fitz, but he needs to be emulating Brandon Marshal

If he could emulate someone who can catch the ball, that'd be start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Harry definitely belongs in the nfl. Even with what he has shown so far. Not worth the pick that they spent but I reckon he will be a solid option at wr2/3 for teams for a decent career.

As for showing what Stidham has, I think if you think he could be good then you have to play him. If he can't show it in practice then there is little point. I can't imagine his contract is expensive so they may have simply come to the conclusion that he is a nice back up.

Harry hasn't had much chance to do anything in fairness.

Looking over the remaining games, I think we're going to finish 7-9 this year.
    This will be the first losing season since 2000.

I think the playoffs will shape up like this.
    AFC:
    1 - Chiefs 14-2
    2 - Bills 13-3
    3 - Steelers 13-3
    4 - Titans 11-5
    5 - Browns 13-3
    6 - Colts 11-5
    7 - Vegas 10-6

NFC:
    1 - Packers 13-3
    2 - Saints 13-3
    3 - Seahawks 12-4
    4 - Washington 8-8
    5 - Rams 11-5
    6 - Bucs 11-5
    7 - Cardinals 9-7

pretty crap season by all accounts.
    And we've wasted it too. If we were going to tank, we should have started stidham, traded #24 etc

• Advertisement

A trade for Carson Wentz in the off season could be an interesting prospect

paulie21 wrote: »

Ugh, no thanks. Oft injured, and has been playing awfully.

paulie21 wrote:

I'd rather start Stidham for the full season and that's not because I'm confident about Stidham.

Wentz has clearly fallen off a cliff, but when he's good, he's very good, he's clearly just lacking confidence rather than becoming a bad quarterback overnight. I reckon someone like Belichek would love to "fix him".

Just looking at his last 3 seasons,
    33 TD, 7 int, 102 rating
    21 TD, 7 int, 102 rating
    27 TD, 7 int, 93 rating

That's better than Stafford that we were talking about last year, or Precott, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Cousins, etc

Exactly he's missed 8 games in his career most due to ACL, he's playing behind a **** O Line and missed his top 3 receivers and TE this year. I'd rather go with someone who can do it in the league with Belichick and McDaniels working with him than with our draft record somebody who easily be a bust

There's been a few stories on Wentz not being the most popular person in the Eagles locker room. Granted, all according to unnamed sources and whatnot.

I wouldn't mind him really. I'd prefer Darnold, or one of the better rookie QBs though it's looking like we'll have to trade up for them.

He's also a ginger, not even close to being attractive enough. We have standards here

God no.

He's also a ginger, not even close to being attractive enough. We have standards here

As a straight male I have no problem in saying that no one will equal TB12 in that department :pac:

God no.

Provide your reasoning and give us an alternative with stats to back it up

• Advertisement

Provide your reasoning and give us an alternative with stats to back it up

He's too streaky. He wasnt even able to comfortably beat out the ultimate up and down QB in nick foles.

The alternative for me is start Stidham for the rest of this year. Then depending on that, either get some OL help and/or better WR corps, or alternatively spend some draft capital and get a better game manager QB. We don't need another TB12 from 2007, we need another TB12 from 2018/19. That was very much a game manager role, quick passes and heavy on the run game.

Even the likes of Darnold from the jets could be a possibility, but I'd prefer a veteran in the mould of Ryan Fitzpatrick (not him, but a game manager like him)

Advertisement