Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭DJ_Eoghan

So the nightmare of all nightmare scenarios has come to pass. TB12 will roll into town with an extra ring and barring an injury on the first drive, will set the all-time passing yards record before half time. My question is whether we should stop the game to recognise the achievement, particularly given he did most of it here anyway (not sure if it's the league who would mandate that or the club). There's obviously precedent with it being done previously for Brees and Manning, but they were both home games. I'm certain Kraft would be all for it, I'm uncertain how Bill would view it (as a lover of the game's history, he might be positive towards recognising the moment, even if it is a knife in the front). Personally, I'd be for it, even on the off chance that it's going to kick Tampa or TB12 out of rhythm for a while. Plus, we never really sent Tom off in the style he deserved, think it would be nice to give the Gillette crowd a chance to show some appreciation before they revert to giving him dogs abuse :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Why do you think it's the nightmare of all nightmares if you're all for recognising the moment?

I'd have thought most NE fans are still Tom fans, are there many here who'd boo him if they were in Foxboro next week? I don't think he'll get Dogs abuse Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd boo him like I'd boo any opposing team. Love the guy and all he done for us but when your the opposition all that goes out the window while the game is on.

I'm trying to think of a comparison, I'm a West Ham fan. We've had lots of big name players leave. The ones who got booed are the ones that left under bad circumstances, or left to a direct rival. I don't think either of those apply here.

Lebron is the main American example. Going back to Cleveland with Miami - he'd left on bad terms, got booed

He then played in Cleveland again and then when he went back with LA, leaving on good terms, he got a standing ovation.

It'll be interesting to see Sunday, but I suspect it'll be no booing

I didn’t mention booing. However, I would refer you to Pat McAfees story re: returning to Gillette with Adam Vinatieri, and in particular the Jekyll and Hyde nature of the crowd pre/post game versus in-game. He describes in-game as being some of the worst abuse he’s heard anywhere ever, and that’s coming from a punter, who gets to hear a lot. I’m all for recognising Tom’s moment, but the fact he’s doing it in some other teams jersey against us at home, how could it not be a nightmare?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Brady deserves the respect of the Foxboro crowd. Cant see the Patriots fans letting themselves down.

There is always a few idiots. But I hope it will just be a few..and a Patriots win!

This is exactly it. For as long as the game lasts he's the enemy.

When it's over he's our GOAT again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It's a damn shame his homecoming is going to be a night to forget for him as we obliterate the Bucs 42-7 thanks to an endless barrage of Brandon Bolden handoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Jamie Collins released by the Lions, could a return be on the cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Whatever about Tom coming back and all that, what I want to see is Josh pulling the thumb out with the playcalling. I'm used to the typically infuriating runs/ screen plays on the 3rd and long. That's bread and butter for him. We paid a **** load for 2 TEs and the new WRs, how about we try and throw to them. Get Mac running a spread offense and see what he can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

James White out for the season, he is a great safety value and will be a big loss.

And losing Burkhead will hurt a lot more now. Bolden hadn't shown enough in all his time in NE to trust he can be dependable.

Disaster, gutted for White. One of my all time fav players.

What's the RB depth chart now. Something like....

RB1/2: Harris / Bolden

RB3: JJ Taylor

RB4: Stevenson

Hopefully Stevenson can gets an opportunity and step up.

Stevenson had a fumble and hasn't been seen since. I guess he has to prove that won't happen again.

He was awesome in preseason, hopefully he can get back on the field soon.

Think you hit the nail on the head regarding Stevenson, looks like he's gone to the doghouse.

Tampa look like they could run over us if they want to so far. Thankfully, they're throwing it and it's starting to open up for the rush.

oops, looks like JJ will be joining Rhamondre in the doghouse!

Good game in the end. I was hoping Folk would make that kick. The game and occasion deserved to come down to a final Brady drive, one way or another. Wish the conditions hadn't been so poor, thought it took away from the quality a fair bit.

I continue to be impressed with Mac. Glad to see MsDaniels finally do something creative with him and the playbook. Perhaps we can magic up a WR in FA who can create separation.

It's weird to come away from a loss with confidence but that's how I feel today. I think we seen enough from Mac last night to know he is the real deal. He needs to improve a bit yet, feel like he needs to learn how to move around the pocket better but I liked what I seen from him last night. The accuracy on display was breathtaking at times. To equal Brady's longest run of completions in only your fourth start is impressive.

The defense played great, Judon was immense and JC Jackson is getting better all the time.

I'm hoping the players take great confidence from that game and we get on a roll.

• Advertisement

I was really impressed with Mac Jones as he really stood in there and delivered whilst knowing he was going to take some shots. Still think we could do more intermediate stuff. Was also impressed with Bourne, Barmore and Judon is definitely not Adalius Thomas, well worth his contract so far. If Gilly plays when he comes off IR, I think this defence could be very workable, to the point that maybe we don't need to put up more than low 20s to win most weeks which would take pressure off Mac.

I listened to a discussion about Mac's play that mentioned his aversion to taking deep shots so far. He seems reluctant to take shots on 1v1s, which for the NFL is crucial.

Compare that to Brady last night, admittedly with infinitely better receivers, looked to attack those matchups.

Well the question is why is he reluctant to take deep shots. Is it because he doesn't trust his receivers? Or is it that he's not confident he can make the throws?

I think it's the former because if you look at his college career he wasn't afraid to go deep because he had Jaylen Waddle and Devonta Smith.

Most likely. The commentators made the argument it was due to him not being used to the difference between college and NFL, where the margins are tighter. You're not playing with top 10 draft quality WRs who will easily dominate coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Didn't Devonta Smith have more yards after the catch than air yards in his final season? Sure that can be somewhat accredited to Jones being accurate and leading him but it doesn't really provide comfort on him making those big throws at NFL level - as pointed few QBs get to play with top 10 picks at WR but they are also rarely playing against as poor CBs and schemes

Yeah Smith did a lot after the catch many times but he also caught long balls and Waddle caught many on deep routes.

Obviously there is a difference in quality but we know he can make the throws.

Mac Jones threw some big balls in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'd be happy enough with Mac myself after the last night but I think it's a bit premature to say he'll go on to be our franchise QB. That Buccs secondary was/is horrendous. I would be optimistic about him however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Very weak secondary but NE played very well last night against a strong team.

Mac didnt lose us the game, and on another night could have won it. Weather wasnt in favor of a passing game and there were a number of drops that wouldnt happen in a dry game. Promising showing from Jones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Jamie Collins on his way back for a 3rd stint

Unfortunately, the place for him comes from Henry Anderson being out for the season (not sure if he's gone to IR yet). Wynn and Onwenu gone to the Covid list, which I presume means that they're out at least this week (it would be tight for them to get in). Thankfully, it's the Texans, but next after that is the Boys, don't think I'd want them both out for that. Fingers crossed, last thing you want is Mac Jones taking a pummeling because we're down 3 starters on the OL.

Gilmore released.

Straight to Tampa or Kansas you'd imagine.

Very surprised at this. They must feel his injury has affected him pretty badly. We look in great shape in the secondary without him.

I wonder could this be a move to free up cap space to sign a wide receiver or third down back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

I am shocked a trade couldn't be done for him somewhere as well. In any case with the covid opt outs back and Bill you still have a top 3-5 defense anyway.

Edit: Never mind, for some reason I thought he already had a longer contract. 7 million savings for someone who didn't want to play for cheap and Pats didn't want to pay.

Post edited by Christy42 on

It's funny, I was thinking that instead of resigning Collins for a third time, we could sign Jaylon Smith (but didn't think the money would work). Money could work now with Gilly gone. Speculation on Good Morning Football is that Patriots have announced Gilmore release to create a last-minute trade market, plenty of teams could use Gilly (including us to be honest).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Seems much more like Gilmore threatened to continue to hold-in all season as the Patriots wouldnt pay him.

It would probably impact team moral if he stayed but fair play on them for not being pig headed and just cutting ties to a guy that served them well and letting him find a new home

Damn, this one hurts. I thought we should have leveraged him in a trade in the offseason.

Traded to panthers for a 6th

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It's a 2023 6th rounder, so of fairly minimal value really. We travel to Carolina in week 9 so will see him again this season.

I don't think we've ever done anything of note with a 6th round pick.

• Advertisement

I haven't paid much attention to Smith and the release surprised me because of his relatively big name. But feedback from Cowboys fans has been that he has gotten bad - like, really bad. And reeeeally slow. So I think we're good with Collins.

Hmm, I'm not sure if that's the case, he was relative bad is what I was hearing e.g. you can't keep all the highly paid backers. However, if it's physical decline, that would make me think twice My line of thinking is that this year might be the last run-out for Hightower, Bentley hasn't really turned into the 3-down backer I thought he might (partly due to injuries), Van Noy and Collins are in the back end of their careers, and it's hard not to think that Collins play is now closer to his floor than his ceiling. I think if you can get a guy who's 2 years removed from a Pro Bowl, and still young, I'd take him. But if he has no tyres, then that's that.

6th round pick for Gilly isn't worth much, but still better than what we had about 4 hours ago. I'm sure Bill will bundle it with something (maybe a 5th) to trade up to a fourth.

it's poor business tho. They should've traded him when Brady left last year. They would have gotten much better value for him.

That's easy to say in hindsight. Trading away the reigning DPOTY would have caused uproar.

Perhaps, but the evidence of the necessity for a rebuild was obvious when Brady left. I don't think folks would've complained of we finagled a 2nd or even low 1st out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Coaches don't like losing and having a better defense can take the pressure of whatever QB was there. They had a lot of covid opt outs last year so might have felt safer to keep him around. No team likes to be in a rebuild and coaches are well aware that when their final record gets given no one takes out the rebuild years.

I nearly did, had to do a couple of double takes before I got my head right!

Our OL is in bits for the Texans game. Brown and Mason ruled out, Onwenu and Wynn are still in the covid protocol.

So we could be looking at something like:

Herron - Ferentz - Andrews - Karras - Durant

That's awful, need to win this game. Their offense is very poor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement