Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny 2.0 Rumours and Gossip

Options
  • 14-01-2016 11:46am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So Rumour has it that Destiny 2.0 will be hitting the shelves in September this year, the only rumours I have heard so far are that the storyline will involve Cayde a lot more.

This will be the first game I preorder since MW2 :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

There better be more Variks or this series is dead to me

• Registered Users Posts: 45,661 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would have to imagine the Cabal will be a big part of the next game, unless we are going to get a Spring/Summer raid to tide us over. TTK puts work into setting up the Cabal as a bigger incoming threat.

I hope Bungie have learned from their story mistakes in Destiny, and provide a more involved and coherent story presented within the sequel itself. I also hope they expand on the story that was (haphazzardly) set up in the first. We've heard very little about The Traveller since the end of the Vanilla Destiny story, and nothing at all of The Stranger. There should a lot more on those two elements, its very odd we've had so little said of either.

Will also be interesting to see how they handle the transition to Destiny 2. Hopefully last gen consoles are left behind so that current gen isn't constrained by the capabilities of 360/PS3. Also, how will the guardian move forward - Bungie have said they should be with us for the duration of the DEstiny timeline - but I can't see us being able to bring weapons/armour, unless it will only be useful for the first couple of missions - the actual look of your guadian is probably the thing people are tied to the least and would want to change the most. It is the weapons and armour people have attached themselves to in some way.

Conovar clearly didn't get the memo that generally page 1 of any speculation thread is meant to be wild sweeping statements and sarcastic responses.

"A New Anti-Craic Approaches!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Wasn't there some talk that Osiris has some part to play in 2.0 and that it would take place on Mercury and had a working title of "Destiny: The Shattered Suns". Or did I imagine all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

Would have to imagine the Cabal will be a big part of the next game, unless we are going to get a Spring/Summer raid to tide us over. TTK puts work into setting up the Cabal as a bigger incoming threat.

I don't think so. With the way that the TTK ends seems to suggest that Eris's story isn't done. Same with the character that she is talking to.

Although they need to explain how Eris got to the dreadnought since we blew up her ship :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It has to be current gen only no allowances here what so ever.

Think the Cabal will feature heavily but Destiny needs a minimum of 2 raids a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Daraa wrote: »
    I don't think so. With the way that the TTK ends seems to suggest that Eris's story isn't done. Same with the character that she is talking to.

Although they need to explain how Eris got to the dreadnought since we blew up her ship :)
    I'd say she borrowed someone elses or used magic similar to the type she uses to teleport you out of Crotas place when you're trying to steal a part of his soul.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

nevelator wrote: »
    Wasn't there some talk that Osiris has some part to play in 2.0 and that it would take place on Mercury and had a working title of "Destiny: The Shattered Suns". Or did I imagine all that?

U actually read a rumour yesterday that Mercury/The shattered suns is DLC for this gen Destiny. I must try get a link if I can find it again.

What percentage of Destiny players play on last ten. It has to be less than (conservatively) 10%. If you take our Clan as a cross section, we have 200 PS players, and only about 10 of them were/are PS3. That's 5%.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The Queen isn't dead. The intro to TTK was the most impressive cut scene in the series. Keep expecting her to make a reappearance but ......nothing. Keep thinking I've missed a dead ghost, event, quest that would trigger her return.
    She'll be back in 2, with claptrap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Hopefully they include Grimoire in the actual game as well this time.

And some of the obvious things that were missing from Destiny now, like custom crucible matches, In game clan system etc.

And maybe a better faction system or even faction wars.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Conovar clearly didn't get the memo that generally page 1 of any speculation thread is meant to be wild sweeping statements and sarcastic responses.

"A New Anti-Craic Approaches!!!"

Here, does that Cormac fella ever STFU?

EDIT: Opps!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

They should keep Earth/Moon/Venus/Mars as locations, but give all new maps and areas to visit. For example, leave the cosmodrome and head to the Amazon or something. A new raid based around a Cabal Base on Mars situated on Olympus Mons (tallest mountain on Mars and three time higher than Everest - thanks Wikipedia)

Then add in the major moons of Jupitor - Europa, Ganamede etc and i think that would be a pretty good start

From what little I know of the lore, I would point that, at this current juncture, the Cabal are both the least interesting and least fleshed out of the races

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

jonny24ie wrote: »
    So Rumour has it that Destiny 2.0 will be hitting the shelves in September this year, the only rumours I have heard so far are that the storyline will involve Cayde a lot more.

This will be the first game I preorder since MW2 :D

The more preorders the more likely it is to be rushed.

Don't drink the kool aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Rumour has it that it'll be fully free to play and rotten with microtransactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Rumour has it that it'll be fully free to play and rotten with microtransactions.

Those games where you've to pay ten grand to unlock everything are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

maybe they'll have figured out how to let me see who the 3 friends that are playing NF/ Crucible/ Raid are...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

How do people think they will handle new classes or sub classes with the next destiny. Will we get a new class or will we just keep expanding on what we have? I wonder will they keep the 3 classes and eventually we'll have 6/7 sub classes

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    How do people think they will handle new classes or sub classes with the next destiny. Will we get a new class or will we just keep expanding on what we have? I wonder will they keep the 3 classes and eventually we'll have 6/7 sub classes

I reckon we are likely to see the same basic set of subclasses - but each of them will be changed in various ways. Some new powers, a different tree design and configuration.

It is certainly going to be interesting to see how Bungie handle the transition from D1 to D2, whenever it happens. I feel the only thing that may come with us is our guardian look. I am hoping that Destiny 2 is markedly different from Destiny, and leaves the old generation of consoles behind completely, so I would reckon it may be difficult to transfer everything to the new game.

The benefits of being a year 1 and 2 player may end up just being a shader, emblem and emote. Possibly a weapons/armour pack too. Maybe a subclass boost as well. Which wouldn't be too bad - within minutes of starting up The Taken King nearly all weapons and armour were obsolete from a PvE point of view.

The fact nothing has been announced, it may be the assumption that we are looking at a September release (the roadmap since before Destiny came out) is compeltely incorrect. Maybe we will simply get another big expansion later this year and another around the turn of the year with 2017 being the year of Destiny 2. Remember, apparently we are due a Cabal expansion and Vex expansion according to the roadmap - might be those have been delayed to bridge the longer than planned gap to D2.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't put ANY stock in that timeline screenshot/photo any more if I'm being brutally honest.

Happy to be proven wrong though :P

Cormac... wrote: »
    I wouldn't put ANY stock in that timeline screenshot/photo any more if I'm being brutally honest.

Happy to be proven wrong though :P

In what respect though?

In that it was never based on fact to begin with (made up) or that it holds no water now, despite being the plan up until relatively recently?

I wouldn't be epecting it to follow that roadmap to the letter anymore - it seems fairly obvious plans have dramatically changed. But I would still put stock in to it to the point it shows what the development team were likely working on.

A Cabal raid, imo, is going to be the next Raid we play. Whether we play that as part of an expansion later in the year or as the first Raid of destiny 2 is the question, in my opinion.

I think Bungie has to give the community something substantial prior to the release of Destiny 2 - and the timing of Destiny 2 will inform my opinion of just how substantial it needs to be, and when it should be released.

It hasn't held water since HoW was moved to May technically.

I've said before we'd never get "Raid" level content Free (based on emote Payments etc) and they are unlikely to release a Raid between now and Destiny 2 (that's just my gut feeling)

The best, I think we can hope for between now and Destiny 2 are the following:
    • More Year 1 Exotics being added to year 2.
    • More Year 1 strikes being added/recycled/taken-afied (like they did with Omnigul)
    • Sparrow Racing League Season 2
    • Maybe a few new quests (do content in X-Way and get Y-Reward) like say the Red Bull Quest
    • Some other "Event" like Halloween
    And at a push:
    • A new Strike?
    • A Handfull of new Missions in existing areas
    • Some new difficulty tiers for old End Game content
    I'd be "Satisfied" with that. That's basically where my expectations are sitting right now.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Put yourself in the mindset of "King and Overlord of Bungie"
    You have 500 employees. 300 of which are programmers/developers/testers/artsists etc (hypothetically) or in other words they work on "Content" the rest are stuff like finance/payroll/marketing/canteen/janitor/UAT/community/data analysts/behavioural psychologists

How do you divide up the focus of those 300 staff to achieve balance between Destiny 1 and 2?

I'd happily leave 50 of them working on Destiny 1 and have the other 250 focus 100% on Destiny 2

If they want any kind of active community between now and Destiny 2, a Raid is required. Crappy events and Sparrow Racing won't keep people coming for the next 9 months. Hell, a Raid will only keep peoeple coming back on for a month or two, and for not much else other than the Raid.

Maybe Bungie are just fine with that though - let Destiny 1 die off, cut down on maintenance and staff costs associated with it and hope everyone comes back for Destiny 2.

If Bungie want to keep the community engaged, they need to do something substantial, soon. If they don't care about the community, they can continue on the path of events and recycled material as you have laid out.

Maybe they don't want us "Active" as we were in the previous sense of the word, and are ok with us logging on one week a month for IB and a handful of other days to do X, Y, Z.

Maybe they've factored in this "Wind down" time into their business plan in a move to really not make a calamitous mess of Destiny 2 prior to release. "Don't throw good money after bad" springs to mind from a development point of view.

Bare in mind, if it is released (tentative date wise) on September 9th, really they can start hyping it BIG TIME in July/August after announcing it at E3 2016 in June. So by June, no one will really be focussing on Destiny 1, it'll be all about Destiny 2. They (unfortunately) only need to tow-the-line for 5 or 6 months

To be fair, the "Community" is not necessarily the 1,000+ hours club.

Take my mate Dave for example, bought all the content, has played about 130 hours, has rarely played the same content more than 2 or 3 times and is still only in Act 2 of tTK (he's ~275 light). I'd say there is a lot of the quiet-majority like him out there that don't feel hard done by from a content point of view.

They could really throw a total curveball if they wanted (and if I was running things I would be definitely suggesting it) and......

Give Vanilla Destiny Free in PS Plus in June
    Give tDB and HoW Free in July
    Give tTK free in August...

Bam!!!

Millions of more players dipping their toes in tentatively for 30-80 hours and arriving right on schedule as the Destiny 2 hype train comes rolling down the tracks.

Add in a HUGE marketing push (a-la tTK) and some generic pre-order stuff, leaving behind last gen and it's a win-win.

The only cost to Bungie is maintaining the infastructure in the back end to accommodate those extra players

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

surely if we were going to get Destiny 2 this sept, they would want to start the hype soon, start releasing video's/pictures to tease it ?

syboit wrote: »
    surely if we were going to get Destiny 2 this sept, they would want to start the hype soon, start releasing video's/pictures to tease it ?

The Hype Train is a fickle mistress.
    If it goes on for too long, the wheels start to fall off.

Look at Fallout 4, that was a quick turnaround, and frankly, a master stroke.

I don't, personally, want to be getting Hyped for 9 months.

It would not shock me if Destiny 2 was even pushed back to a (commercially more popular and viable) release of Mid-November.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

An in-game LFG system would be nice, I've 311 light but not likely to go up much as I've not seen any end-game content (no VoG, Crota's End or King's Fall), nor am I likely to. At least there's some semi-decent drops and rewards now during IB.

I'm on the PS3 (my son and I play together with 2 PS3s at home (he has a sub account), so the cost of upgrading both is fairly stiff (presumably I'd have to buy the PS4 version at least once as well as buying two consoles).

I'd even settle for forcing a user to include what they want to do (Nightfall / Heroic / Raid) before spamming you with random "Play Destiny!" messages.

They should just do it like GTA5 has done it.... but subtle

Have a small "feed" area above your super bar saying:

X wants 1 player for Nightfall
    Y wants 2 players for Kings Fall
    Z wants 3 players for Crucible

They stay on your screen until that players fireteam is full, or 5 minutes, whichever comes 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Honestly Bungie could market Destiny 2 as "This is a pile of shyte we messed up don't get it" and I'd still buy the de-lux legendary edition with plastic sparrow (not actual size)

Advertisement