Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny 2.0 Rumours and Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Now Emmet come on, you know Totz was talking about the entire game of Destiny 1 and not just the base game in general.

Failsafe post to which Totes replied to specifically mentioned the Base game. DLC is not part of the base game. And that's why I said i doubt people are still playing the base game after 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

AdamD wrote: »
    I really don't buy into this at all. The story is allowed to be crap, just because?
    They've one of if not the biggest budgets in the industry.

I think stuff like the Mass Effect series provide the "story" aspect for the Sci-Fi Space Opera a bit better (well I only played 2 and 3) than Destiny Vanilla and even Current Destiny (4 expansions later)

I think if you picked up Destiny 1 now, with all the add-ons, you may feel it's a lot more cohesive, if for no other reasons than 1) More Cutscenes 2) Quests (since they give context, and compartmentalise aspects of the story that seemed throwaway, such as strikes - "why the hell am I killing this Ogre?")

I'd be very interested to see what Penn thinks having just played Vanilla and now getting to play the 4 expansions and the other free new content (taken spring, AoT) in one seemless run.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd be very interested to see what Penn thinks having just played Vanilla and now getting to play the 4 expansions and the other free new content (taken spring, AoT) in one seemless run.

You and me both :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

In your opinion.

I'm sure people here, who have happily played the first game for 3 years; are well capable of making their own informed choices when it comes to pre-ordering.

If you review my post you'll see I mentioned the base game. Not the base game + all the paid expansions and the taken king.

It's important to judge a game on what it offers at launch. People need to remember how Destiny( base game) had little content and Activision were strongly marketing their expansions pre-launch.

As mentioned a few posts previously there is hope that Bungie have learned from their mistakes. I agree however I'd urge caution. There is plenty of time to see what is and isn't in the game before taking the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Penn wrote: »
    I'd go so far as to say that having only played it for the first 4-6 weeks it was out (and putting a lot of hours into those weeks), I enjoyed the game a lot. The flaws started to hit then with regards to the grind and lack of content which evidently improved as the game went on though I'd checked out by then, but I'd happily say that the base game was a good game and I felt like I'd gotten my money's worth. It wouldn't bother me about whether or not to pre-order D2, but I'll likely just wait to see what benefit there is to it and probably decide the week before it comes out.

That's basically my feeling on it. I know it's not shared by all and that the base game was far from perfect. But to say it was woeful is a stretch. I think I got my money's worth from vanilla. I mean if I didn't then I wouldn't have so willingly paid for expansions, and wouldn't be prepared to pre-order this time round. Getting Destiny on release worked out great. It's now by far my most played game ever, which is no doubt down to the community as much as anything else. I've ended up playing lots of other games with groups formed initially by playing Destiny in its early stages.

That's just my own opinion anyway. Everyone is entitled to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I really don't buy into this at all. The story is allowed to be crap, just because?

Agreed. This is Bungie after all.

I remember the amazing cinematic when humans found the traveler on Mars. I was so excited thinking there was going to be a 8-12 hour story rich campaign.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Failsafe post to which Totes replied to specifically mentioned the Base game. DLC is not part of the base game. And that's why I said i doubt people are still playing the base game after 3 years.

Well in fairness without the base game you wouldnt be able to play the DLC.

Plenty of games advertise their DLC up front. COD every single year advertises their DLC before they launch the games, Battlefield also does the same along with many other games out there right now.

Back to your point about people playing the base game, one of my mates is still only playing the base game and has sank tonnes of hours into it. His missus bought him a ps4 yet he ins back to his ps3 and destiny all the time. Im sure there are others out there like him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Thats not what i meant,of course the story should be better presented and written. What i meant was that if your the type of person who likes a meaty narrative and cant get past the lack of it destiny may not be for you. Personally after TTK there was enough there for me,originally there wasnt so i dtiched the game after about 10 hrs. Just didnt grab me.

Its a loot driven game,most of them have very little story,usually just enough to give you context of why your doing what your doing. Hopefully they improve that for the sequel but id have my doubts,they will improve it but i cant see it turning into mass effect

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think stuff like the Mass Effect series provide the "story" aspect for the Sci-Fi Space Opera a bit better (well I only played 2 and 3) than Destiny Vanilla and even Current Destiny (4 expansions later)

I think if you picked up Destiny 1 now, with all the add-ons, you may feel it's a lot more cohesive, if for no other reasons than 1) More Cutscenes 2) Quests (since they give context, and compartmentalise aspects of the story that seemed throwaway, such as strikes - "why the hell am I killing this Ogre?")

Yeah I more mean for Destiny 2, like hes writing it off and saying its acceptable for the story to be bland. I'm not writing it off and don't think it would be acceptable for the story to be bland! I like the idea of it being a fight to take back Earth and the Tower, that I can get behind. I'm not entirely sure what Destiny 1s story was tbh

Yeah I more mean for Destiny 2, like hes writing it off and saying its acceptable for the story to be bland. I'm not writing it off and don't think it would be acceptable for the story to be bland! I like the idea of it being a fight to take back Earth and the Tower, that I can get behind. I'm not entirely sure what Destiny 1s story was tbh

No im not,you might want to re read my post....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Well in fairness without the base game you wouldnt be able to play the DLC.

Plenty of games advertise their DLC up front. COD every single year advertises their DLC before they launch the games, Battlefield also does the same along with many other games out there right now.

Back to your point about people playing the base game, one of my mates is still only playing the base game and has sank tonnes of hours into it. His missus bought him a ps4 yet he ins back to his ps3 and destiny all the time. Im sure there are others out there like him too.

I know that but Failsafe specifically said the base game disappointed on launch.

I agree to an extent and i think that was mainly down to what was cut from the game (I'm looking at you Activision). In a lot of the prelaunch material we were given the impression of a much great scale to everything, think the Public Events here, what we were shown and what we got was very different.

It's easy to see why people drifted away and it's not hating on Destiny to say that. I'm glad i stayed, and I've over 1000 hours in the game and have enjoyed it immensely. Alot of that is down to the group i played with as well though.

Oh no doubt there are a few still playing the base game but i doubt there's many. Were the strikes and crucible not massively restricted once ROI launched?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I can't see why we aren't supposed to have a good story just because it's a loot game at its core.

Vanilla destiny was awful from a story point of view, introduce the speaker, then never refer to him again, same for the vanguard leaders, don't get me started on the stranger and your one off meeting, then at the 'end' you get a rifle. Utter crap. At least house of wolves had a narrative that went somewhere and explained what was happening, and ttk refined that into something that resembled a proper game.

Johnny, I dunno what your friend is doing still playing vanilla, he must be very easily entertained.

I can't see why we aren't supposed to have a good story just because it's a loot game at its core.

Vanilla destiny was awful from a story point of view, introduce the speaker, then never refer to him again, same for the vanguard leaders, don't get me started on the stranger and your one off meeting, then at the 'end' you get a rifle. Utter crap. At least house of wolves had a narrative that went somewhere and explained what was happening, and ttk refined that into something that resembled a proper game.

Johnny, I dunno what your friend is doing still playing vanilla, he must be very easily entertained.

There is no reason it couldnt be an all out epic story driven game,i just dont think it will be.

Id expect the story to be better in Destiny 2 than in 1 but im not expecting it to be last of us quality eihter.

I hope bungie prove me totally wrong:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Is vanilla considered pre house of wolves/dark below ? that poor chap will have a long way to go in his AoT book!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Went ahead an preordered the collectors edition, I got the ghost edition so I might aswell get this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 John1993W

Anyone preorder at Gamestop and get the Cayde-6 figurine? Or is it typical Ireland withholding everything until release, only to go into the store on launch day and find that they don't have any?

John1993W wrote: »
    Anyone preorder at Gamestop and get the Cayde-6 figurine? Or is it typical Ireland withholding everything until release, only to go into the store on launch day and find that they don't have any?

They're not giving them out until launch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

That's fcuking shocking. Scum.

Here I pour scorn on the buyer not the seller. He/she is just filling a gap created by idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Here I pour scorn on the buyer not the seller. He/she is just filling a gap created by idiots.

But it's deliberately an attempt at taking advantage of people. Yes, buyer's have responsibilities in these situations, and these guys continue to exist because of fools and their money. Still think the people selling products like this are scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I guess people who buy from him are the same kind of people that hire Beyoncé to sing at their 12 year olds birthday party.

So silly to see people putting them up for crazy prices even though they're not sold out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,952 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I did consider spending a small fortune on a Cayde 6 figure at the weekend, so.....

Anyone want to sell me their gamestop pre-order Cayde? I'll give you cash money!

But it's deliberately an attempt at taking advantage of people. Yes, buyer's have responsibilities in these situations, and these guys continue to exist because of fools and their money. Still think the people selling products like this are scum.

agree.

Same with people who buy 8 tickets for a concert they don't want to go to so that they can sell them to real fans who couldn't get a ticket cause that asshat bought 8 tickets. Infuriates me.

With the first expansion being Osiris, I wonder if we will see Trials of Osiris being missing until then.

I personally think it would be at least a month until it hits - if just to give people enough time to get to max light and get a good weapon/armor set for competitive PVP.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

With the first expansion being Osiris, I wonder if we will see Trials of Osiris being missing until then.

I personally think it would be at least a month until it hits - if just to give people enough time to get to max light and get a good weapon/armor set for competitive PVP.

I know it was in a paid expansion first time around but now that it's so established it really should be there at launch (or within a few weeks of launch). It's the premier pvp in the game.

I would expect it roughly a month after launch, it gives people some time to get used to the new maps and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Seriously considering getting the digital download. Will it take 4 weeks to download from the crappy PSN connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Seriously considering getting the digital download. Will it take 4 weeks to download from the crappy PSN connection?

Well apparently the base game size for D2 will be 13% larger than Destiny 1 + all DLC & expansions combined

Advertisement