Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny 2.0 Rumours and Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I guess they are afraid people will find some way to abuse private matches (drops? quests? bounties?) and they want to keep everyone on an "even keel" in terms of activites you can load into.

This could well be the issue but I feel people give Bungie the benefit of the doubt on everything. If it is an issue its extremely poor execution on Bungie's part. They should be able to have bounties not count in private games. The more I read about the game the more I think its going to be the same issues as D1 - We'll get a fixed game in about 2 years and 120 quid later.

Also trying for a more competitive PvP experience without a ranking system or private matches is well..ludicrous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Are you disappointed that you can't play private PvP or watch streamers have their own comps?

As best as I can recollect we didn't use it that often.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Are you disappointed that you can't play private PvP or watch streamers have their own comps?

Yup sure we couldnt even get 1 PvP comp done in fairness. Private matches dont make any difference for me tbh. The 4v4 is interesting, watching conovar and adam on 3v3 last night the extra one on a map would make the games far more intersting in the way you play them so I am going to hold off judgement until I play it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,953 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

For me it is the player competitions that will have to go back to searching/evaluation - if that is even possible - again.

As you say, we didn't really use Private Matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

To be fair the game was out 2 years when they were released? Hardly optimum timing. Between Gamebattles and other websites I probably played close to 1000 private competition matches on CoD alone, they would be used if there from day 1, but the competitive scene won't exist if they aren't. Its lazy development for me, the very first shooter I played had fully customisable private and custom lobbies, they simply counted in your stats as 'unranked' and had a separate page. That was R:FoM, released 11 :o years ago on Ps3...if it can be done on that game (and every cod since..) I simply can't accept excuses that they struggle to pull it off in Destiny.
    For me it is the player competitions that will have to go back to searching/evaluation - if that is even possible - again.

As you say, we didn't really use Private Matches.
    If this is the case the competitive community will be almost non-existent as it was in D1. All of the people I played other competitive games with owned D1 but dumped it as soon as they realised private games weren't coming soon. If you're keen on competition you aren't going to bother with a game that doesn't even have private lobbies. Even a ranked system doesn't fully suffice as you can't organise weekly and daily tournaments which are needed to have a proper competitive scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

AdamD wrote: »
    To be fair the game was out 2 years when they were released? Hardly optimum timing. Between Gamebattles and other websites I probably played close to 1000 private competition matches on CoD alone, they would be used if there from day 1, but the competitive scene won't exist if they aren't. Its lazy development for me, the very first shooter I played had fully customisable private and custom lobbies, they simply counted in your stats as 'unranked' and had a separate page. That was R:FoM, released 11 :o years ago on Ps3...if it can be done on that game (and every cod since..) I simply can't accept excuses that they struggle to pull it off in Destiny.

Really strange that these modes aren't in from the off. For a sequel you'd expect things to be added - not removed.
    I read that they can now tweak individual guns now rather than the archetype. Should have been in D1, but at least it should make for easier balancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Don't get me started on archetypes again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Don't get me started on archetypes again :pac:

At the risk of starting you.....

I think I may have read they have reduced the amount of archetypes and it is the perks that distinguish the guns

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

latest fireteam chat, around the 20-22 min mark Deej definitely sums up Destiny, for me anyways. That moment when your helped out and eventually when you become that guy kickin ass.

Definitely met a few players this way either in Court of Oryx/archons forge/public events.

http://ie.ign.com/watch/fireteam-chat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Off the point of everything but just wondering... Does anyone else think the running, jumping, and movement in general, seems slow and cumbersome in all the gameplay?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

PetKing wrote: »
    Off the point of everything but just wondering... Does anyone else think the running, jumping, and movement in general, seems slow and cumbersome in all the gameplay?

Yeah, afaik one of their intentions was to slow down game/gun-play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Digital Foundry hands on with PC build of D2 - full 60fps, 4k.
    Stacked up against the base Destiny 2 PlayStation 4 footage we ran a while back, the upgrade is immense. There's the sense that the game's core artwork is targeting the ultra HD standard, which is good news not just for PC owners, but also for PS4 Pro and prospective Xbox One X users, whose versions are both aiming for a 4K output. What they won't have is support for unlocked frame-rates - that will remain entirely the preserve of the PC game.
    Activision were in touch this morning to say that this build wasn't actually running at ultra settings and there's more to come - we look forward to seeing it]. What is confirmed over and above unlocked frame-rate support is 21:9 display compatibility, custom key mapping, text chat and adjustable field of view. Console fans used to playing Destiny with their controllers will find that joypads are still supported, but will face a big disadvantage against keyboard/mouse users in PvP play.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-hands-on-with-destiny-2-pc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Only downside to that level is that the graphics are such an upgrade the tower is barely recognisable (hence the emotional recognition of seeing it thrashed is kinda diluted! ha).

But that's so, so pretty. Love the rain smearing the visor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

quad_red wrote: »

Only downside to that level is that the graphics are such an upgrade the tower is barely recognisable (hence the emotional recognition of seeing it thrashed is kinda diluted! ha).

But that's so, so pretty. Love the rain smearing the visor.

Yeah, have to agree with the water on the visor distorting your view. So pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Looks like bungie really dont give a **** about the story continuing from D1. It lools like there going to just pick the bits that work for them and s**t on everything else,ill be very dissapointed if thats the plan.

Ive started to not like Luke Smith even though i only came accross him 3 days ago.

www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/06/15/bungie-has-written-the-darkness-and-the-exo-stranger-out-of-destiny-2/#624c8bd77f2f

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The D1 story is nothing more than a missed opportunity at this stage. I have no connection to the characters in the same way you might have with Joel and Ellie or Nathan. I love my three gaurdians but have no real sense of the world they live in. I've played the story missions ad nauseam at this point and couldn't tell you a thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Pending review on release I am not sure what version to go with. Console or PC.

Although the PC version hands down is the best performing version of the game but I am concerned that game is so popular on console that the PC playerbase might actually be much smaller in comparison and possibly die off quickly.

Are many people here picking it up on PC?

Luke Smith is class, but he's a sarcastic Mo-fo, don't forget he's the original brains behind the Vault of Glass and Kings Fall.

As long as Mara Sov is alive though.....

Im one of those rare people who bothered to look for the story in Destiny. Im a huge sci fi fan,i also feel if you dug deep enough there were some very interesting characters and stories in destiny 1. Yeah its a bit of mess but theres such a dedicated lore community that by the time i started playing they had pieced most of the grinmore together to make it coherent.

I just think it would be a shame to see a lot of that abandoned.

Im actually also one of the 10 people in the world that know the lore to warframe,if you thought story/lore was badly presented in D1 ye should check out warframe:P

• Advertisement

But no one is saying the Lore nor the Characters are going anywhere, simply the Exo Stranger story arc, which was hot smoking garbage

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Although the PC version hands down is the best performing version of the game but I am concerned that game is so popular on console that the PC playerbase might actually be much smaller in comparison and possibly die off quickly.

I will have it on the PS4 and Xbone and possibly play the beta on PC. I don't see to many that will make the switch but you never know.

But no one is saying the Lore nor the Characters are going anywhere, simply the Exo Stranger story arc, which was hot smoking garbage

My worry would be that if they think the exo stranger was dealt with effectively what other characters do they also think have been dealt with that we dont know about and are expecting them to still be around. I only finished the vanilla story on my titan the other day and to me the stranger arc didnt seem to be effectively ended.

But i may be getting ahead of myself here:P

It was - biut it seemed like a key part of the longer term story in the game - so many questions were left. To just ignore it is infuriating, imo.

I'd be annoyed if they got rid of the speaker too - and he was an even more useless character.

The bigger point is Luke Smith is saying he thinks that story was finished off nicely already. If they think that story was well rounded off what the hell are we in for in D2?

Gaul takes the traveler and.... then its done? He took the traveler, story is finished lads. Now... hive raid?

It could always end up in some DLC or something, I mean considering the scope of the Taken King DLC.

It could always end up in some DLC or something, I mean considering the scope of the Taken King DLC.

But if you take what they are saying at face value they don't think they need to address it again, they think the tied it off just fine - and they don't understand why anyone would expect the stranger to be part of any future story line. based on that it won't be part of any DLC, she won't be seen again. We won't find out what battle she was involved in, who she was talking to, where or when she came from, how she had seen others like us - what that even meant.

Taking the grimoire away also means there is a chance they won't be fleshing out the world like they did with the Book of Sorrows, for example.

Their handling of story is very worrying, imo.

Or end up in destiny 3 :P

It's gonna be a Looooooooooooong 3 months at this rate

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Will give the beta look but will probably stick with Xbox as I know loads on there who play the first game. Having said that i am trying t convince a few of them to build a PC so anything can happen at this point :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Only D1 character I really care about is Cayde, and even then some of that is because I love Nathan Fillion as an actor.

Advertisement