Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny 2.0 Rumours and Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The new shield/heal ability are a nice touch. I really like the Titan one where it reloads your weapon for you!!

on that point... the Hunter one seems very week by comparison to the other classes.

Titan puts up a big blocking shield, or a small peaky one that protects you and reloads your gun.
    Warlock can buff healing or damage.

Hunter can reload their gun, or recharge their melee - far more selfish (ok, might be a hunter trait they are going for) but also far less useful. Seems unbalanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

A lot of people are unsure about 4v4, I think 4v4 is feeling crap due to the many other issues - lack of supers/abilities/TTK.

AdamD wrote: »
    A lot of people are unsure about 4v4, I think 4v4 is feeling crap due to the many other issues - lack of supers/abilities/TTK.

that is part of it, sure, but I think it also just seems sweatier. Now that might be down to newness, but I don't think there is drop in and have some fun like you have in Destiny 1 with Control/Clash specifically. I think 4vs4, even in the quickplay option, is requiring a lot more team focus and co-ordination. I think that mentality and approach is fine for the competitive modes - but I think quick play should be more about just chilling and having some fun, and I think the 4vs4 style goes against that.

The lack of supers (so lack of 'my moment to shine') is a part of that, for sure. Even in games I felt I was doing well in saw me struggle for super energy. The counter to that is supers can be over powered on small maps with small teams - but that is a design decision they have made and potentially a poor one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

on that point... the Hunter one seems very week by comparison to the other classes.

Titan puts up a big blocking shield, or a small peaky one that protects you and reloads your gun.
    Warlock can buff healing or damage.

Hunter can reload their gun, or recharge their melee - far more selfish (ok, might be a hunter trait they are going for) but also far less useful. Seems unbalanced.

Striker titan had the shoulder charge instead of the stationary shield. Forgot to check the second one.

Not really sure how its sweatier. Quick play yesterday felt fairly unsweaty. The TTK doesn't really help that you essentially need 2 people shooting to kill someone. Either way taking 6v6 out seems like an obvious mistake, particularly when PvP itself is looking pretty poor right now.

The supers will surely change. I played 3 games in a row without even getting one, games my team were winning too. Doesn't feel like kills really add much to it.

• Advertisement

Striker titan had the shoulder charge instead of the stationary shield. Forgot to check the second one.

you sure about that? I thought the class abilities were standard in both classes - and the shoulder charge is a melee charge, which is seperate from the class abilities. Thats my understanding anyway (Didn't play striker so could be way off)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sounds like they've made a very slight move towards hero shooter mechanics with those abilities where Warlock is support, Titan is tank and Hunter is like a DPS where their ability is more self serving.

With the above, the 4v4 and the attack vs defense game mode they want the PvP to be more tactical and competitive which on paper sounds good to me but then they leave out custom games which doesn't really gel with that approach. Yet they also leave out the option for bigger team sizes and a more "fun" based playlist which leaves the game stuck in this kind of middle ground where they're not sure what they want it to be on the PvP end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I'm pretty much gonna echo what everyone has said.

PvE
    I played through Homecoming with the 3 new subclasses:
    Titan America
    • Couldn't figure out how to throw the shield. :confused:
    • Flying around swinging said shield and trying to get kills with it, reminded me of why I never really used Bladedancer. Don't think I'll be using it all that often, but then again, it was only one cluster of the super available.
    • Gave myself concussion one too many times trying to Titanskate. Why Bungie Why?????
    • The different shield walls are a nice addition. Can see the taller one being used a lot more in PvP

Pole Dancer
    Same as Titan America / Bladedancer. Won't see too much use from me.

Dawnblade
    I enjoyed this one the most out of the 3. Super timeup could be increased slightly, but on the whole nothing really negative to say.

I didn't touch the Strike, as I wan't to go in as blind as possible on release. Yes, I've seen the strike play out, not in it's entirety though. I happy enough not to touch it until release.

Gunplay is as expected. Not sold on the Exotic Arc AR, much prefer the HC Exotic. The Minigun you get with the Titan is fun. Kinda need to start pre-firing it to get the best out of it I feel. The Grenade Launcher is cool, and it sounds so satisfying when fired *ku-thunk*

PvP
    Played 3 games, 2 Control and 1 S&D

Like others, I'm not completely sold on 4's, but I'll reserve final judgement until release.

Control
    Considering we only have access to the one map, It's hard to give a true critical analysis of the New Control.
    No neutralising the point before capture is actually grand, I like the new mechanic of it. Having A and C auto capped at the start is also no big negative for me. Straight into the fight. Nice.

Had more fun in the first game than the second.
    First one was a close fought affair, and while my team never lost the lead, it never got to a point where we where so far ahead the other team had no chance of a comeback.
    Second game I was begging for the mercy rule to kick in. Couldn't get any traction in it at all. Didn't help that everyone was running around solo, even though I was trying to stick with teammates. Other team got all 3 points and it was pretty much game over fairly early. Painful. Really highlighted how tactical it is now. You need to stick together.

S&D
    Reminded me of why I don't like the mode in other games, so I can't really give an impartial analysis on it.

you sure about that? I thought the class abilities were standard in both classes - and the shoulder charge is a melee charge, which is seperate from the class abilities. Thats my understanding anyway (Didn't play striker so could be way off)

Hmmmmm maybe your right actually. I just know I had a shoulder charge icon bottom left :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I've a beta redeem code if anybody wants one. Just PM me. Got the one from Game and was able to cancel order. Already got the one from Amazon.

• Advertisement

[*]Couldn't figure out how to throw the shield. :confused:

You can throw the shield with L1. I could only do it once though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That holding circle to do your new ability thing is the shiznit...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'm not gonna bother getting too deep into the weeds as I purposely only spent about 2 hours playing.

Feels like the weapons and super/grenade cooldown need a few tweaks/buffs, but other than that I enjoyed it for what it was, a glimpse.

Not sure about 4x4s tbh. I was running the Warlock and had pulse/sidearm/grenade launcher and it felt similar to D1, but everything took 1.5x the time to kill. I played a few games with 3 mates and it was fun but we were running around like headless chickens. Got stomped in Countdown cause the other team had the sense to get Power Ammo before challenging us so I got sniped/shotgunned a lot

Definitely had a "sequel" feel, more of the same, but different. I'd like to see what tweaks they'll make to some of the core mechanics before/just after launch. Some of the differences gave me pause but I'm sure I'm giving the benefit of the doubt it will make more sense in the context of the final product

Game looked extremely pretty too.

It felt like a much stronger, more fleshed out basis for a game, over what the previous instalment offered in it's early days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You can throw the shield with L1. I could only do it once though.

You can defo do it more than once, I got two kills with throwing shields last night :D

I'm not gonna bother getting too deep into the weeds as I purposely only spent about 2 hours playing.

Feels like the weapons and super/grenade cooldown need a few tweaks/buffs, but other than that I enjoyed it for what it was, a glimpse.

Not sure about 4x4s tbh. I was running the Warlock and had pulse/sidearm/grenade launcher and it felt similar to D1, but everything took 1.5x the time to kill. I played a few games with 3 mates and it was fun but we were running around like headless chickens. Got stomped in Countdown cause the other team had the sense to get Power Ammo before challenging us so I got sniped/shotgunned a lot

Definitely had a "sequel" feel, more of the same, but different. I'd like to see what tweaks they'll make to some of the core mechanics before/just after launch. Some of the differences gave me pause but I'm sure I'm giving the benefit of the doubt it will make more sense in the context of the final product

Game looked extremely pretty too.

It felt like a much stronger, more fleshed out basis for a game, over what the previous instalment offered in it's early days.

Overall I agree.

I think there is a great foundation in what we have seen so far. How that is fleshed out and what tweaks they make will decide just how good destiny 2 will be. I'm certainly not canceling my pre-order or my days off. Can't wait to get properly started.

If you think TTK is an issue though I don't think tweaks will save it. They've been slowing TTK down for the last 2 years, I wouldn't and won't be purchasing the game based on Bungie fixing/changing anything.

I'm just gonna buy the game cause I want to play the game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know I'll get my monies worth from the PvE campaign alone tbh

AdamD wrote: »
    If you think TTK is an issue though I don't think tweaks will save it. They've been slowing TTK down for the last 2 years, I wouldn't and won't be purchasing the game based on Bungie fixing/changing anything.

you might be right.

However, I can see them having the TTK slower at the beginning and moving slightly quicker from there, rather than having OP weapons that need to be nerfed.

If the TTK stays where it is I will be generally fine with it (as I have poor reactions/awareness so a slower TTK stops me dying every second) but I think the TTK will get quicker due to the balancing changes I expect (but could be wrong about) and getting used to the weapons I will end up using.

My baseless opinion is that the weapons, abilities and TTK (tied to them) has been deliberately set at the slow end of things, so bungie can buff from there based on the feedback and data from the community beta.

On the other hand, the longer TTK forces more co-ordination and team shoting, which is clearly something Bungie are trying to push - so they could deem this perfect and it is my/our play styles that need to change.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Im sorry but I enjoyed the PvP, okay its not the greatest now its 4v4 but I had fun playing it an could see myself playing a good bit of PvP this time around in destiny.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Im sorry but I enjoyed the PvP, okay its not the greatest now its 4v4 but I had fun playing it an could see myself playing a good bit of PvP this time around in destiny.

The games I did well in I enjoyed.

The games I did poorly in stank and the game stank.

(not throwing shade at anyone... that was honestly how my opinions went last night!)

I did enjoy playing as the Hunter more than the titan as the hand cannon i was using with the Hunter seemed to work better than the one I had on the titan.

• Advertisement

I've got a couple of "Full Priced AAA Mainstream" games over the last few years.
    And ultimately, the brass tax is if this game offers a similar value proposition to those games while being the same/more fun.

The Good:
    Destiny 1
    Shadow of Mordor
    GTA 5 (again)
    Borderlands tHJC (again)
    Overwatch
    TitanFall 2 - (was half price tbf)

The Not-So-Good:
    Fallout 4
    Far Cry 4
    CoD BLOPS 3
    Batman Arkham Knight
    LBP3

Thats just the ones I've fully judged.
    Have gotten about ~6 other "major releases" I can't be 100% certain of as I've not given them enough time
    The rest of the stuff I play are smaller releases, indie games or free with PS Plus or on other systems

Now is the game going to be worth ~€70 as a standalone offering if all I do is play PvE in a linear fashion? - Probably
    If all I do is play every activity once (handful of grinding bounties/quest/public events/patrol aside) will I enjoy myself? - More than likely

You can defo do it more than once, I got two kills with throwing shields last night :D

Maybe there's a cool down on it then?

Maybe there's a cool down on it then?

Not too sure, I just know I went Melee, Melee, Shield throw, Melee, Shield Throw and it threw on both occassions.

Same. I took it at face value and had some fun. I don't see the value personally in putting it under too much of a microscopic analysis.

Fwiw, generally speaking, The VAST majority of Destiny 1 PvP players came to the PvP party late.
    Back in Winter 2014 it was legitimately only around ~8 of us playing it (~3 of which stopped playing period).
    I don't point that out as some sort of counter argument, but PvP did NOT have any draw to a huge portion of the player base at launch.
    80%+ of players were doing PvE and PvE exclusively for weeks/months.
    I think it was around Mid-Late January 2015 when PvP started getting more traction (Maybe Sniper_Samurai / AbusesToilets can clarify that as they were playing it early)

I guess what I'm driving at is that the A -> B nature of playing through the core PvE content will probably still be present a good value proposition for most players.
    And perhaps PvP is (by design?) taking a slight back-seat so they can make that more of a focus (ToO DLC? Add Ranked/Private/Leagues? Add Maps/Modes, Balancing?) over the long term life-time of D2
    PvP was what kept people ticking over for 24 months, but people weren't buying the game for it.
    Vanilla D1 PvP was very, very samey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Has it been explained why 3 guardians can be in the plaza during the Homecoming mission. Possible event area a la Court agus Forge?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Has it been explained why 3 guardians can be in the plaza during the Homecoming mission. Possible event area a la Court agus Forge?

I just feel sorry for Zavala, he is going to spend the whole week staying there dropping a bubble to block missles.

Im sorry but I enjoyed the PvP

All I could think reading that was

33d.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

nevelator wrote: »
    I just feel sorry for Zavala, he is going to spend the whole week staying there dropping a bubble to block missles.

And all the player has to do is NOT BE ANYWHERE NEAR Zavala when the ship fires it rockets. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

nevelator wrote: »

What about poor Shaxx reduced to a doorman.

• Advertisement

i just assumed it was a beta thing - cause we can't join fire teams prior to that, so putting it in as a somewhat public space shows the co-op super chaining stuff there that we can't do in our own fire team.

I don't think it will be a forge/court thing. i don't think we'll be going back to the tower in that capacity.

Advertisement