Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny 2.0 Rumours and Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

jonnycivic wrote: »
    The story was a bit all over the place granted but if you actually played the game you'd know that there was a story there.

13 days in game time as can be seen on my Xbox profile.

I think we can all agree that the campaign was muck but that the "Destiny" world itself is intriguing. It was primed to have an amazing campaign but disaster struck.

I'll be expecting a lot from Destiny 2. Great campaign and a decent amount of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,661 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'll be happy if they put some effort into this game and content. It is Bungie after all.

I'd say gamers are going to be much more careful with the release of Destiny 2. Myself included. I'll see whats in the game first before jumping in.

If there is a great campaign for the game I'll definitely pick it up.
    The campaign has importance, but to be honest I'd say it is far more important that the raid has a lot of replayability and pvp is top class.

They need to have some plan in place to add to and refresh the end game in a meaningful way every 3 months or so, imo.

I hope they present the story and lore of destiny better but it's the community aspects that keep this game top of my played list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Yeah, the people who stayed and continued to play Destiny didn't do it for the story. The aids are where it's at and a new one every 3/4 months would be what I'd be looking for (probably too much to ask)

That interspersed with good PVP and I'd be happy. Laughing at all the "People still care about Destiny" jokes on the gaming sites. It'll post huge numbers when it releases.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I reckon the second game won't get as much flak even if the campaign is complete rubbish again because folks will know what to expect this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure Failsafe was in my 6 man when we completed VOG HM for the first time a week after it was released.

That was year one, as a year one player, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yeah, the people who stayed and continued to play Destiny didn't do it for the story. The aids are where it's at and a new one every 3/4 months would be what I'd be looking for (probably too much to ask)

That interspersed with good PVP and I'd be happy. Laughing at all the "People still care about Destiny" jokes on the gaming sites. It'll post huge numbers when it releases.

The story was trash till the taken king, the base game was as bare bones and stingy as you could get. I stopped playing when crotas end released as I was so disgusted by the fact that they locked me out of weekly strikes from the dlc. I jumped back in after ttk and it was like a different game. Story need to be front and center this time. Gameplay is great, but as the little girl says.....

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/c7NJRa2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

ibFoxer wrote: »
    That was year one, as a year one player, right?

Thats right.

I decided to come back to it when the Taken King was released but I played it for a few minutes and was underwhelmed so I left it at that.

Once I was out I was out. The repetitive nature of Destiny was its downfall for me and I just couldn't get the spark going for it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Saw a tweet showing a little cayde figure as a pre-order bonus. BUY!

as much as such a figurine would interest me I think I'll be going digital.

You mean this
    https://twitter.com/MoreConsole/status/846405386408284161?s=09

New tshirts too.
    https://twitter.com/AlphaFoxWarfare/status/846428948305203206

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

More Console is such an annoying mofo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

More Console is such an annoying mofo

Yeah, his voice goes through your head. Still not a bad as Broman.

• Advertisement

Yeah, his voice goes through your head. Still not a bad as Broman.

Broman away from destiny is ok. I liked the jam which gothalion used to do with him and what ever the brothers name is. Looking forward to seeing what the speakez is like when it gets going. Funny how him and his brother /friends are making such a living from destiny /twitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

It'sHappening.gif !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

You mean this
    https://twitter.com/MoreConsole/status/846405386408284161?s=09

Is it just me, or does that not look like cayde-6, and more like tyrion lannister cosplaying as cayde 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The story was a bit all over the place granted but if you actually played the game you'd know that there was a story there.

I don't have time to explain why the story sucked and I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain.

I played the game too (admittedly, none of the expansions) and I'm a big fan of stories in games. I think they're incredibly important. But there's surely no denying that the story as presented in the main game was horrifically bad to the point of being almost insulting. It was stripped down to its bare bones and presented incredibly poorly. It seemed like they also hid so much of the lore behind those Grimoire cards or whatever that couldn't even be viewed within the game.

I've heard it improved a lot with the expansions, but by that point I'd already checked out. I have no doubt there was a story there in the main game. But it sucked.

That being said, the gameplay was fantastic and I played the game non-stop for the first month it was out. I'd even booked a week off work for when it released and did shag-all else but play it. I'm definitely in for the sequel as I really hope they've learnt a lot from the first one, and if the gameplay is anywhere near as good as the first I know I'll get my moneys worth even with another bare-bones tacked-on story.

But the story in the first one, considering this was the one meant to build this new franchise's world and lore and set up everything, was honestly awful. It failed in almost every aspect and considering the scale/budget of the game and its intention of being a brand new AAA franchise, it was downright shambolic.

On the Grimoire point - i would see that as seperate to the story issues.

The Grimoire is background information - like codex in other RPG games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect. The Grimoire provides a rich history for the universe, but most of that isn't needed in the main story line - Destiny is not an RPG like other games where your sidequests can fill out story that is irrelevant to the main story line.

The main story line was stripped down, and poor - and even with the better story beats in Taken King, House of Wolves and Rise of Iron, they still didn't expand on the original story line - the traveler wasn't mentioned again and we saw no more of The Stranger. It does annoy me - but the Grimoire stuff, for the most part, is a different kettle of fish.

On the Grimoire point - i would see that as seperate to the story issues.

The Grimoire is background information - like codex in other RPG games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect. The Grimoire provides a rich history for the universe, but most of that isn't needed in the main story line - Destiny is not an RPG like other games where your sidequests can fill out story that is irrelevant to the main story line.

The main story line was stripped down, and poor - and even with the better story beats in Taken King, House of Wolves and Rise of Iron, they still didn't expand on the original story line - the traveler wasn't mentioned again and we saw no more of The Stranger. It does annoy me - but the Grimoire stuff, for the most part, is a different kettle of fish.

I accept that, but I think considering how poor the storytelling in the game was at giving background and context to the world itself, the fact that the Grimoire cards weren't viewable in the game for those who did want to get interested in the history (even though the notifications for them were popping up left, right and centre) just meant interest in the story kept getting pushed further into the background.

Penn wrote: »
    I accept that, but I think considering how poor the storytelling in the game was at giving background and context to the world itself, the fact that the Grimoire cards weren't viewable in the game for those who did want to get interested in the history (even though the notifications for them were popping up left, right and centre) just meant interest in the story kept getting pushed further into the background.

agreed.

Adding the Grimoire contents into a Kiosk and/or into the loading screens. Would prefer the Grimoire cards to a repetitive image of my ship.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I don't have time to explain why the story sucked and I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain.

I played the game too (admittedly, none of the expansions) and I'm a big fan of stories in games. I think they're incredibly important. But there's surely no denying that the story as presented in the main game was horrifically bad to the point of being almost insulting. It was stripped down to its bare bones and presented incredibly poorly. It seemed like they also hid so much of the lore behind those Grimoire cards or whatever that couldn't even be viewed within the game.

I've heard it improved a lot with the expansions, but by that point I'd already checked out. I have no doubt there was a story there in the main game. But it sucked.

That being said, the gameplay was fantastic and I played the game non-stop for the first month it was out. I'd even booked a week off work for when it released and did shag-all else but play it. I'm definitely in for the sequel as I really hope they've learnt a lot from the first one, and if the gameplay is anywhere near as good as the first I know I'll get my moneys worth even with another bare-bones tacked-on story.

But the story in the first one, considering this was the one meant to build this new franchise's world and lore and set up everything, was honestly awful. It failed in almost every aspect and considering the scale/budget of the game and its intention of being a brand new AAA franchise, it was downright shambolic.

Destiny, when the Taken King released became a far better love story than twilight :pac:
    The taken kings writers are in charge of story for 2 so I am really looking forward to what story they are going to put together this time, my one big hope is that they would go into a dit of history on the traveller etc but sure we will see :)

Destiny, when the Taken King released became a far better love story than twilight :pac:
    The taken kings writers are in charge of story for 2 so I am really looking forward to what story they are going to put together this time, my one big hope is that they would go into a dit of history on the traveller etc but sure we will see :)

I did keep feeling the lure to get the expansion packs, especially then they released them in bundles with the main game (as I'd traded the main game in). Just couldn't bring myself to do it. Never a big fan of raids and having to play in a team, and by then I'd fallen behind everyone who would still be playing PvP so said I'd just have to leave it and wait for Destiny 2. Start afresh. The gameplay in general in D1 was genuinely fantastic, and I look forward to how they expand on it for D2.

Just want a bit of a proper story in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Honestly thought the story was fairly ****e even in the later DLCs, some of the missions themselves got more varied and were more fun but the story is still very uninteresting IMO.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I did keep feeling the lure to get the expansion packs, especially then they released them in bundles with the main game (as I'd traded the main game in). Just couldn't bring myself to do it. Never a big fan of raids and having to play in a team, and by then I'd fallen behind everyone who would still be playing PvP so said I'd just have to leave it and wait for Destiny 2. Start afresh. The gameplay in general in D1 was genuinely fantastic, and I look forward to how they expand on it for D2.

Man if you can get the bundle cheap I advise you to pick it up. Its all getting a refresh today with old raid getting brought up to new levels etc. But the raids are what really make this game tbh, some of the most memorable moments I have are raids with the lads here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I bought Destiny for the story, I am not still playing it for the story. If Destiny 2 handles like the original then I won't need a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

When did you start playing Johnny? After HOW? They filled in a good few gaps in the story after HOW and then even more with TTK.

If you weren't around before them you might not realise there was huge chunks of the story missing.

It was rumoured (maybe even confirmed) that Bungie had a very good story in place and Activision had loads cut and missions dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I think you might experience the same reducing interest in D2 maybe. The game is built around shared experiences. 3 manning the story if you so wish, 3 man strikes (friends or strangers) and the 6 man raids (friends or strangers). If raids really aren't your thing, then you may enjoy the story but still experience the burnout once that's done.

PvP, outside of the weekly Trials of Osiris and monthly Iron Banner, have been even playing fields where your level is of no importance. PvP is a viable way to level up. But again, are better experienced, IMHO, with a group of known individuals, and the community that has been built up around this game, is one of the best communities I've experienced.

When did you start playing Johnny? After HOW? They filled in a good few gaps in the story after HOW and then even more with TTK.

If you weren't around before them you might not realise there was huge chunks of the story missing.

It was rumoured (maybe even confirmed) that Bungie had a very good story in place and Activision had loads cut and missions dropped.

The rumours where true. The original writer left after some disagreements with how the story was to be presented. A full rewrite ensued with less than a year to release.

Each of the 3 races (Human, Exo, Awoken) had their own individual starting areas initially, but due to the rewrite, everything was lumped into the one we have, which was actually the Awoken start if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The rumours where true. The original writer left after some disagreements with how the story was to be presented. A full rewrite ensued with less than a year to release.

Each of the 3 races (Human, Exo, Awoken) had their own individual starting areas initially, but due to the rewrite, everything was lumped into the one we have, which was actually the Awoken start if memory serves.

Yea it's a shame. They've made massive studies but lost so many players early on that may never come back.

Yea it's a shame. They've made massive studies but lost so many players early on that may never come back.

Yeah. I'm pretty confident, story wise at least, that they have learnt their lesson. I have quiet confidence that the story in D2 will be much more coherent and fleshed out, and won't suffer the same issues as D1. (There will still be issues, what game doesn't have of some sort).

I only came about when TTK was released, I played the beta etc and I kept my eye on the game until I got it. I understand that at the start it was very weak in terms of story but to me it ended quiet well from a story point of view in that they pulled it from the gutter and actually gave it some direction, as I said the new team that done TTK are doing the story this time around so I have confidence it will be done alot better :)

• Advertisement

I think you might experience the same reducing interest in D2 maybe. The game is built around shared experiences. 3 manning the story if you so wish, 3 man strikes (friends or strangers) and the 6 man raids (friends or strangers). If raids really aren't your thing, then you may enjoy the story but still experience the burnout once that's done.

PvP, outside of the weekly Trials of Osiris and monthly Iron Banner, have been even playing fields where your level is of no importance. PvP is a viable way to level up. But again, are better experienced, IMHO, with a group of known individuals, and the community that has been built up around this game, is one of the best communities I've experienced.

Oh definitely. I know I didn't get the full experience from D1 playing almost solely solo (did do a good few strikes and stuff with randomers to moderate success). And I know the PvP is largely balanced in most regards so equipment and level doesn't really matter, but in terms of going back to the game after such a long break, I just felt I'd be crushed regardless by people who'd been playing it since release just on pure experience of the game.

I did join a Boards group here for a while but I think my interest started to go in the game just before the first raid came out. By that point, I'd kinda burned myself out on repeated grinding and got incredibly annoyed at the in-game economy system with different types of currency/marks to buy different things (though I understand this was later largely replaced by one currency) and constant repetitive bounties.

I just mostly hate using headsets in games and having to arrange to play at certain times etc. I'm a contrary f*ck like that :D

Advertisement