Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny 2.0 Rumours and Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

wexdevil wrote: »

farely bare at the moment. But I Suppose its about time I buy a 2nd game for my xbox :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I wince just looking at that image.

I hope we aren't getting little scraps of content in the base game. I won't be falling for that con this time.

Sure it only took you 312+ hours to realise you'd been conned last time

Think I shed a tear at the glimpse of the vaults getting destroyed in the trailer... there goes all my sweet loot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Nah, BEST.BETA.EVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Opps, my bad. I didn't realise you're a mod on the Destiny sub reddit.

You'd say mass rather than admit to any wrong doing in Destiny 1 ;)

• Advertisement

Opps, my bad. I didn't realise you're a mod on the Destiny sub reddit.

You'd say mass rather than admit to any wrong doing in Destiny 1 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Spot the idiot.

dudeeile wrote: »
    Spot the idiot.

The idiot, as you say, is probably over yonder, on PS4 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

dudeeile wrote: »
    Spot the idiot.

As the old saying goes - "Takes One To Know One" :pac:

In fairness though i see no problem in Failsafe or Cormac posts, both are just taking the piss out of each other. There's no harm in that and i doubt either were overly hurt by the other!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Let's keep the conversation about the game please and not other posters. I think the thread has seen enough cards for one evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

emmetkenny wrote: »
    As the old saying goes - "Takes One To Know One" :pac:

In fairness though i see no problem in Failsafe or Cormac posts, both are just taking the piss out of each other. There's no harm in that and i doubt either were overly hurt by the other!!

http://img.pandawhale.com/32259-Now-kiss-EpIC.png

All joking aside, i'm super hype, and am really hoping that they nail the story because the actual mechanics of D1 were phenomenal, and with a quality narrative D2 could be an absolute giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

As awesome as Cayde and his teaser were do you not think all they do there is totally undermine the Zavala segment and any sense of gravitas?

Like - that's our final city. Previous defences created legends like Shaxx and the gjallerhorn etc and civilians are dying. It seems most of the guardians are already dead.

They could have combined humour and the loot gag without totally taking the piss out of their own story and canon.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

Alright boys and girls here is a selection of preorder prices for the standard version I have come across tonight.
    1. Smyth have it for 60 euros
    2. Amazon has it for 60 pounds sterling
    3. Gamestop are going for 75 euros
    On a side note they have the limited version for 69.99 euros , I wonder would they honour that price ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

quad_red wrote: »
    As awesome as Cayde and his teaser were do you not think all they do there is totally undermine the Zavala segment and any sense of gravitas?

Like - that's our final city. Previous defences created legends like Shaxx and the gjallerhorn etc and civilians are dying. It seems most of the guardians are already dead.

They could have combined humour and the loot gag without totally taking the piss out of their own story and canon.

I don't really think it undermined anything. To me anyway, it spoke to the two things I want from the sequel in terms of story. I want a better, more dramatic story where characters have more personality and add weight to what is happening (like with Zavala's scenes) but I also want it to not take itself too seriously, and give us characters with fun, interesting personalities just so every NPC isn't just constantly spouting dramatic exposition (like with Cayde's scenes).

The Cayde bit wasn't to undermine Zavala's bit, it was to provide contrast.

Personally, I loved it. I caved and bought Destiny The Collection (well, ordered it before these new trailers came out) so will belt into it over the next few weeks, but from playing the story of the main game when it was released, the NPCs showed so little personality that I didn't even remember their names most of the time, just who their voice actors were (The Wire and Firefly are two of my favourite shows). I don't know how much this improved in the story expansions, but I'm excited to find out. But more importantly, I can see their personality in this trailer, and that makes me really excited for the sequel.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Penn wrote: »
    I don't really think it undermined anything. To me anyway, it spoke to the two things I want from the sequel in terms of story. I want a better, more dramatic story where characters have more personality and add weight to what is happening (like with Zavala's scenes) but I also want it to not take itself too seriously, and give us characters with fun, interesting personalities just so every NPC isn't just constantly spouting dramatic exposition (like with Cayde's scenes).

Personally, I loved it. I caved and bought Destiny The Collection (well, ordered it before these new trailers came out) so will belt into it over the next few weeks, but from playing the story of the main game when it was released, the NPCs showed so little personality that I didn't even remember their names most of the time, just who their voice actors were (The Wire and Firefly are two of my favourite shows). I don't know how much this improved in the story expansions, but I'm excited to find out. But more importantly, I can see their personality in this trailer, and that makes me really excited for the sequel.

They made a bit of an effort with the Taken King campaign missions regarding putting Cayde in a lot more and having a few decent cut scenes to pad out the story. It's still not perfect but a big improvement on the original campaign. Rise of iron and the other expansions are fairly crap though (in terms of a single player experience if that's what you after, obviously you'll get a lot more out of it if you try and get in on raids and that).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Penn wrote: »

I absolutely agree that Fillion/Cayde absolutely improved the Destiny experience. He's a cut above any of the other voice actors and I presume he had input in the dialogue as well.

And I absolutely agree that humour and personality were sorely missed in vanilla destiny.

But the jarring catastrophe of the city being ransacked and destroyed, of civilians (the last humans) being slaughtered by brutal Cabal is not conveyed in that trailer.

Maybe if Zavala had gotten decent lines and a much bigger crowd with Cayde having a small team of misfits etc. But Zavala just seemed kinda pathetic. His idealism, the importance of the city twee and cringeworthy. The Cayde character was certainly the funniest and best sketched character in Destiny 1. But as full of quips as he was, he wasn't flippant. He was utterly, deadly serious and determined. And very motivated. He went out of his way to 'tutor' and encourage the player character.

That trailer smacks of Bungie being scared that he was the only decent character and the only character who resonated with players. So they'll ram him into the story and turn him into a bit of a joke for the lols without (apparently) making the other characters like Zavala any better.

That does not bode well for a cohesive well thought out story and characterisations. Imho. :)

I absolutely agree that Fillion/Cayde absolutely improved the Destiny experience. He's a cut above any of the other voice actors and I presume he had input in the dialogue as well.

And I absolutely agree that humour and personality were sorely missed in vanilla destiny.

But the jarring catastrophe of the city being ransacked and destroyed, of civilians (the last humans) being slaughtered by brutal Cabal is not conveyed in that trailer.

Maybe if Zavala had gotten decent lines and a much bigger crowd with Cayde having a small team of misfits etc. But Zavala just seemed kinda pathetic. His idealism, the importance of the city twee and cringeworthy. The Cayde character was certainly the funniest and best sketched character in Destiny 1. But as full of quips as he was, he wasn't flippant. He was utterly, deadly serious and determined. And very motivated. He went out of his way to 'tutor' and encourage the player character.

That trailer smacks of Bungie being scared that he was the only decent character and the only character who resonated with players. So they'll ram him into the story and turn him into a bit of a joke for the lols without (apparently) making the other characters like Zavala any better.

That does not bode well for a cohesive well thought out story and characterisations. Imho. :)

I dunno, you're massively overthinking it. if anything, they're taking a Marvel movie type approach, where the Gruff Seriousness of Nick Fury is offset by the snark of Iron man. TTK introduced that and they were widely praised for the direction it took. In fairness, Destiny up to that point was as dry a sci fi tale as you could get, it badly needed that injection of humor.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,952 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Disagree completely, to be honest.

I thought both characters were who I think they are in the clips - and the crowd reaction to Zavala shows him to be more inspirational than Zayde, in terms of driving the Guardians to reclaim their territory.

Also - it is an initial reveal trailer - we don't know how much those two scenes will play in the actual story. I think it is possible that the trailer is partly Bungie having a little fun with the player base:

You have Zavala who is speaking to the invested players - those who are their for the Destiny universe and buy into the lore and potential of the story. You then have Cayde speaking to the players who play Destiny purely to PvP and get a nice Eyasluna or Clever Dragon roll.

I dunno. I get what you're saying, but from what I remember and have read about the story/classes, doesn't that suit the Vanguards they lead?

From the Destiny wiki:
    Hunters were once survivors that roamed the wastelands and wilderness making their own luck. This heritage has led to their characteristic tendency of bending the rules to suit their particular situation.

Titans built and defended The Wall that protects The City. Their heritage is rooted in strength, sacrifice, and mercilessness.

To me, it makes sense that the Titans would be cheering and rallying behind Zavala to protect the city, whereas the Hunters only really get behind Cayde when he says there's something in it for them.

In fairness though, we're probably both just over-thinking it. It's just a teaser to give a bit of a flavour of the game before proper story-based trailers come out.

• Advertisement

I wonder if the PC version of the game is going to mean a significant change in the guns of detiny.

The Aim Assist/Gun Feeling in Destiny is great - Bungie are masters of the art - but this is, I would think, very much a console based thing. Aim Assist on PC isn't really a thing is it? I think it can be supported in terms of allowing PC users to use a controller so that aim assist would still be required but qould they give the same balence to a mouse and keyboard?

If the PC version has a different take on Aim Assist then what does that mean for the guns in general. Perks and Stats in the game are tied specifically to the aim assist stat - and without aim assist a number of the guns would completely lose their feel.

Will be interesting to see how PC balance effects how the game players and how the loot is generated.

I wonder if the PC version of the game is going to mean a significant change in the guns of detiny.

The Aim Assist/Gun Feeling in Destiny is great - Bungie are masters of the art - but this is, I would think, very much a console based thing. Aim Assist on PC isn't really a thing is it? I think it can be supported in terms of allowing PC users to use a controller so that aim assist would still be required but qould they give the same balence to a mouse and keyboard?

If the PC version has a different take on Aim Assist then what does that mean for the guns in general. Perks and Stats in the game are tied specifically to the aim assist stat - and without aim assist a number of the guns would completely lose their feel.

Will be interesting to see how PC balance effects how the game players and how the loot is generated.

The bigger question is whether the pc will have an unlocked frame rate, or indeed if theres any possibility of getting 60fps on console now that we don't have to cater for the PS3 / XB360. - Probably not though, I only got a gaming monitor for my xb1 a few months back, and Desntiny is one hell of a pretty looking game. i spent a few minutes just admiring the skybox from the crash site area of the dreadnaught.

The bigger question is whether the pc will have an unlocked frame rate, or indeed if theres any possibility of getting 60fps on console now that we don't have to cater for the PS3 / XB360. - Probably not though, I only got a gaming monitor for my xb1 a few months back, and Desntiny is one hell of a pretty looking game. i spent a few minutes just admiring the skybox from the crash site area of the dreadnaught.

I'd be very surprised if Destiny 2 isn't 60fps - i personally wouldn't care if it isn't, but Bungie will get a load of hate and not much else if they don't hit it, even on consoles.

They should aim for 60fps on consoles (at least on the pro/Scorpio) and an unlocked fps on PC. Anything else will just be greeted with derision.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They should aim for 60fps on consoles (at least on the pro/Scorpio) and an unlocked fps on PC. Anything else will just be greeted with derision.

would 60fps on Scorpio/Pro not provide a competitive edge over standard PS4/XboxOne, if the standard consoles did not achieve that FPS?

I would have thought it has to hit the same framerate on each of the familial consoles.

would 60fps on Scorpio/Pro not provide a competitive edge over standard PS4/XboxOne, if the standard consoles did not achieve that FPS?

I would have thought it has to hit the same framerate on each of the familial consoles.

Agreed. They'll aim for 1080p 60fps across the board, I reckon. Maybe some upscaling in resolution for Pro/Scorpio but no 4k.

60fps will be what they'll go for for standard PS4/XB1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Times like these I appreciate all over again how blissfully unaware I am of resolution, fps, etc. Happy out playing some good games on my trusty old standard definition telly so I am.

Not really imo. We're not talking about cs:go at 144fps vs 30fps here. They should aim to have the game run as good as possible on each system, what you're saying is the more likely outcome I would think though in fairness.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Times like these I appreciate all over again how blissfully unaware I am of resolution, fps, etc. Happy out playing some good games on my trusty old standard definition telly so I am.

Standard Def? That still exists? Is it a CRT TV? Does it weigh a ton? :D

Genuinely - can PS4/Xbox even be played on a standard def tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Standard Def? That still exists? Is it a CRT TV? Does it weigh a ton? :D

Genuinely - can PS4/Xbox even be played on a standard def tv?

Who said it was a PS4??????

c16fc4a6da8ead6dec6e5b794e5ab6e9.jpg

Advertisement