Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice town in Louth/Meath

Options
  • 14-01-2016 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a nice town with a bit of buzz for a couple to retire to. We have a budget of 150k so Dublin is out of the question but would like to be in good commute area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a nice town with a bit of buzz for a couple to retire to. We have a budget of 150k so Dublin is out of the question but would like to be in good commute area.

Dundalk. It's fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dundalk Blackrock .....loads

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is the 150K to buy a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Collon, Slane, Ardee? May get more bang for your buck in Collon and Ardee with 150k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Drogheda and Dundalk have train & bus connections and are roughly the same size and have roughly the same shopping opportunities, although I think the restaurants are better in Drogheda whereas Newry's closer to Dundalk. If you want something smaller, try Blackrock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Is the 150K to buy a house?

yes someone small if possible with that budget, could probably stretch to160k

MugMugs wrote: »
    Collon, Slane, Ardee? May get more bang for your buck in Collon and Ardee with 150k.

Do they have good transport services? its just it would be nice to get out and about without driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Have a look at the Matthews coach services and pick a town along their route.

We live in Bettystown - it's not picturesque by any means but it's well served by coach services and Laytown train station is convenient.

You have Drogheda close by.

Smallish Tesco in the town, and Dunne's in Southgate and a few reasonable coffee shops / restaurants scattered about.

The beach is very convenient.

Is Drogheda worth looking at I wonder, I know it has the trains service to Belfast and Dublin so that might be handy, anyone any experience of living there?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

If you're retiring but still want a bit of craic around the place then look no further than Carlingford.

Nicest place in Louth. 20 minutes drive to Dundalk, 10 minutes to Newry and some of the most picturesque scenery on the East coast.

Your budget should be no bother for a nice place near the village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

yes someone small if possible with that budget, could probably stretch to160k

OK. Your budget will confine you to certain areas. Can't see you getting much of a house in say Blackrock for that money.
    There are many small and quiet estates in Dundalk which are nice and are good value.
    A phonecall to any of the auctioneers will provide you with a list but make sure you check out the area well before purchasing.
    Wish you well.
    I saw a house for sale in Parnell Park a few weeks ago, don't know if it's sold or not now. The area is quiet, in the center of the town, near shopping center, pubs, restaurants, buses and train station, church, schools (not that it matters to you), and a short walk to the town center.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Is Drogheda worth looking at I wonder, I know it has the trains service to Belfast and Dublin so that might be handy, anyone any experience of living there?

I love it. Great restaurants. 30-40 minutes from Dublin. 10-15 minutes from beach. Lots of history, a river, shopping, close to oldbridge(my fave place :) )

Do they have good transport services? its just it would be nice to get out and about without driving.

There's a regular bus service serving all three.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I love it. Great restaurants. 30-40 minutes from Dublin. 10-15 minutes from beach. Lots of history, a river, shopping, close to oldbridge(my fave place :) )

I second that - I'm between Drogheda & Dundalk, and I much prefer Drogheda. It's big enough to wander around, it has 2 retail centers at the edge of town as well as pretty good shopping in town, with 2 Lidls and 2 Aldis. It's close to Monasterboice, Mellifont, Newgrange and Oldbridge, with a pleasant riverside walk to the latter. It's only a few minutes to Clogherhead beach and pier and there's a great variety of restaurants.

Will you get a property of any standard for €150k in Drogheda?

MugMugs wrote: »
    Will you get a property of any standard for €150k in Drogheda?
    Absolutely! For example, there's a place on West St that need work, but it's only around 70K, so you could turn it into a real gem. And, of course, pretty much all the estates around have houses at that price point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

My wife is from Drogheda and we just moved there 3 months ago.
    Plenty amenities, pubs, cinemas, restaurants, places to bring the kids for parties, etc.

But if you're commuting by car, then the M1/M50 are nasty.

One of my sisters bought a 2 bed terrace for around €110k within walking distance of the train station, but it needed a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

But if you're commuting by car, then the M1/M50 are nasty.

OP is looking for a retired couple. I would imagine commute wouldn't be your regular 9-5, but to visit family and friends in Dublin or nearby. But I agree, I did the rush hour commute away back when they were constructing the port tunnel. Not much fun.

OP, there's lots to do in Drogheda. Like every town it has its odd rough spots but it has every amenity you would need and more. I've lived on the outskirts of the town for over 10 years after moving from Dublin and I love it, I'd never move back. You've got beaches North (Baltray, Seapoint, Clogherhead) and South (Mornington to Bettystown, Gormanston), Oldbridge and Newgrange, Golf courses, Gyms, Swimming pools, Any amount of shops and plenty of great restaurants and cafes.

Rule of thumb for commuters is that the south side of town is better as it has the train station and is on the bus route to Dublin. Also if you're travelling to Dublin by car it's just as easy to go down the Dublin Road through Julianstown and get on the M1 toll free. From the north and west side of the town it's much easier to get onto the motorway but the toll is in place at these exits. Of course a lot of the houses are more expensive on the southside but you can still get houses under €150K, it depends on what you're looking for.

This one is in a decent enough area, right opposite Millmount. Cheap enough to refurbish to your own taste. Downsides - it's on top of a hill if you've any mobility problems and opposite a pub so possibly noisy at night.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/29-old-hill-drogheda-co-louth/3457765

Another older house in a good settled location, close to shops, very slightly further from bus/train but still well under budget. TBH, this would be my choice, you've got front and back gardens and off street parking. Older built is better built too.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/morans-terrace-drogheda-louth/3383348

a duplex in Bryanstown is also well under budget, in a great location.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/162-bryanstown-manor-drogheda-louth/3245747

And an apartment (if one suits) in another great location at a decent price.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/apt-3-block-3-woodford-dublin-road-drogheda-co-louth/3425529

bpmurray wrote: »
    I second that - I'm between Drogheda & Dundalk, and I much prefer Drogheda. It's big enough to wander around, it has 2 retail centers at the edge of town as well as pretty good shopping in town, with 2 Lidls and 2 Aldis. It's close to Monasterboice, Mellifont, Newgrange and Oldbridge, with a pleasant riverside walk to the latter. It's only a few minutes to Clogherhead beach and pier and there's a great variety of restaurants.

Thank you for this it sounds like it might work for me, hopefully I would find something small for my budget.

OP is looking for a retired couple. I would imagine commute wouldn't be your regular 9-5, but to visit family and friends in Dublin or nearby. But I agree, I did the rush hour commute away back when they were constructing the port tunnel. Not much fun.

OP, there's lots to do in Drogheda. Like every town it has its odd rough spots but it has every amenity you would need and more. I've lived on the outskirts of the town for over 10 years after moving from Dublin and I love it, I'd never move back. You've got beaches North (Baltray, Seapoint, Clogherhead) and South (Mornington to Bettystown, Gormanston), Oldbridge and Newgrange, Golf courses, Gyms, Swimming pools, Any amount of shops and plenty of great restaurants and cafes.

Rule of thumb for commuters is that the south side of town is better as it has the train station and is on the bus route to Dublin. Also if you're travelling to Dublin by car it's just as easy to go down the Dublin Road through Julianstown and get on the M1 toll free. From the north and west side of the town it's much easier to get onto the motorway but the toll is in place at these exits. Of course a lot of the houses are more expensive on the southside but you can still get houses under €150K, it depends on what you're looking for.

This one is in a decent enough area, right opposite Millmount. Cheap enough to refurbish to your own taste. Downsides - it's on top of a hill if you've any mobility problems and opposite a pub so possibly noisy at night.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/29-old-hill-drogheda-co-louth/3457765

Another older house in a good settled location, close to shops, very slightly further from bus/train but still well under budget. TBH, this would be my choice, you've got front and back gardens and off street parking. Older built is better built too.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/morans-terrace-drogheda-louth/3383348

a duplex in Bryanstown is also well under budget, in a great location.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/162-bryanstown-manor-drogheda-louth/3245747

And an apartment (if one suits) in another great location at a decent price.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/apt-3-block-3-woodford-dublin-road-drogheda-co-louth/3425529

Thank you so much for your very kind response and for looking at houses for me. It all sounds very positive.

Regarding commute no its not for work it would only be to visit the shops and family and friends in Dublin maybe once a week or so. We also love Belfast for shopping so that would be handy with the train.

I am originally from Dublin but lived abroad for years and could not afford to live back down there so I thought Drogheda might be an option. I am currently living in Kerry and I hate it especially the weather, we have had 2 dry days since 1 November I find it a really depressing place to live so based on my experience of living in Dublin it did not rain every day on the East Coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Kerry is lovely when the sun is shining! But everywhere is bleak when it's wet and miserable. Drogheda is lucky in that there's certain areas that seem to get hit by flooding time and time again as we've seen on the news in recent weeks. Bettystown has a few areas prone to flooding, and the very odd time there's flooding at the bus station and along the quays at high tide but we seem to get away lightly compared to Cork and Galway.

The transport links are great, the train is regular and off peak you'll always get a seat. Buses are great too, there's BusEireann or Matthews bus and BusEireann has a stop at the airport as well. Matthews runs coaches to 3Arena and Aviva for events and concerts too. And motorway links are very handy, my family live in South Dublin and once I don't go in rush hour, I'm at the door in 40 minutes driving.

Kerry is lovely when the sun is shining! But everywhere is bleak when it's wet and miserable. Drogheda is lucky in that there's certain areas that seem to get hit by flooding time and time again as we've seen on the news in recent weeks. Bettystown has a few areas prone to flooding, and the very odd time there's flooding at the bus station and along the quays at high tide but we seem to get away lightly compared to Cork and Galway.

The transport links are great, the train is regular and off peak you'll always get a seat. Buses are great too, there's BusEireann or Matthews bus and BusEireann has a stop at the airport as well. Matthews runs coaches to 3Arena and Aviva for events and concerts too. And motorway links are very handy, my family live in South Dublin and once I don't go in rush hour, I'm at the door in 40 minutes driving.

Gosh 40 mins to South Dublin that's brilliant.

I know what you mean about Kerry for me its the most depressing place on earth, can't wait to get out of here. I think Drogheda will tick the boxes for me as I have close friends in Swords and of course family in North Dublin so it will be a lot easier for me to get to see them. At the moment is getting a bus into Killarney, a train to Mallow and then change for the train from Cork to Dublin. Again thank you so much for the effort you have put into responding and of course everyone else you have been so positive and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

i moved out from dublin to the termonfeckin / baltray area a few years back and it's been the best decision have ever made.

Living more or less on the beach, 5 mins from drogheda, traffic dependent 45-60 mins from dublin, near golf clubs, pubs, schools etc ... I could count on one hand the number of times in the last two years I have been in dublin apart from work stuff.

whippet wrote: »
    i moved out from dublin to the termonfeckin / baltray area a few years back and it's been the best decision have ever made.

Living more or less on the beach, 5 mins from drogheda, traffic dependent 45-60 mins from dublin, near golf clubs, pubs, schools etc ... I could count on one hand the number of times in the last two years I have been in dublin apart from work stuff.

Thats fantastic, glad the move worked out for you. I think the area could work for me. Do you find the people friendly. The Kerry people are o.k. but very clannish and they don't like the Dubs, I had to lay low when we won the football last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Thats fantastic, glad the move worked out for you. I think the area could work for me. Do you find the people friendly. The Kerry people are o.k. but very clannish and they don't like the Dubs, I had to lay low when we won the football last year!

the area I am in has had a fair number of 'blow-ins' over the last decade or so and it all boils down to how you try to integrate yourselves.

I have been involved in football my whole life and I decided to get involved with the local club as soon as I arrived in the area - despite having no children of footballing age. Through that I got to know a lot of people and also some respect for the time and effort I put in.

From the start I would drop down to the local pub every couple of weeks or so and just get chatting to the locals, if there was a residents accoc fund raiser i'd go to it, offer to help out with the tidy towns eat .. before long I felt very comfortable in the area and have been treated somewhat like a local.

In small tight knit communities it is all about give and take - if you contribute something positive to the area you will get it back in spades.

And vice-versa some of the 'blow-ins' haven't bothered to integrate and as such are somewhat ignored around the place.

Apologies, didn't notice the "retire to" bit in the OP's post.

My parents live in Drogheda too.
    My dad goes weekly to some indoor bowling club there.

He mentioned a "mens shed" club there last year Drogheda Mens Shed. They have courses and social events for men, I think mostly unemployed or retired ?

And the Gary Kelly centre has a lot of support and activities to those with cancer. My Dad has been cancer free for a few years, but they are a great amenity.

I'm sure there would be a couple of pitch 'n' putt courses around too, I noticed one in Julianstown.

There's weekly bingo nights, my wifes Granny goes to that.

And I think disabled people get free travel, so the train station is handy for trips to Dublin.

Tesco deliver shopping if ye didn't want to leave the house in bad weather and they have mobility scooters in-store.

Apologies, didn't notice the "retire to" bit in the OP's post.

My parents live in Drogheda too.
    My dad goes weekly to some indoor bowling club there.

He mentioned a "mens shed" club there last year Drogheda Mens Shed. They have courses and social events for men, I think mostly unemployed or retired ?

And the Gary Kelly centre has a lot of support and activities to those with cancer. My Dad has been cancer free for a few years, but they are a great amenity.

I'm sure there would be a couple of pitch 'n' putt courses around too, I noticed one in Julianstown.

There's weekly bingo nights, my wifes Granny goes to that.

And I think disabled people get free travel, so the train station is handy for trips to Dublin.

Tesco deliver shopping if ye didn't want to leave the house in bad weather and they have mobility scooters in-store.

Thanks so much, do they live in the town or outside. We have free travel with the pension so that would come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

It depends on what people are looking for. It the retirees are looking for ready access to Dublin, then Drogheda is a good bet.

However, I have a few family members who have retired and they were looking for a small community that they could be part of. Drogheda is really a commuter town for Dublin. They settled in Blackrock and love it. Lots of retired people and a community spirit.

Thanks so much, do they live in the town or outside. We have free travel with the pension so that would come in handy.

Yeah, they're in Blackbush near St Marys School on the south side of the town.
    About 10 mins walk to the train station.

The train station has a good sized car park and I think it's something like €2 a day to park there. So walking distance to the train station is nice but not necessary if you don't use it every day.

If the walk into town is a little much for you, you can park in Scotch Hall for €2 for 2 hours I think, and cross the bridge over the river into town.
    We've a toddler and the walk to and from town is a little much for him.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they're in Blackbush near St Marys School on the south side of the town.
    About 10 mins walk to the train station.

The train station has a good sized car park and I think it's something like €2 a day to park there. So walking distance to the train station is nice but not necessary if you don't use it every day.

If the walk into town is a little much for you, you can park in Scotch Hall for €2 for 2 hours I think, and cross the bridge over the river into town.
    We've a toddler and the walk to and from town is a little much for him.

Ah thanks, are there any nice walks around Drogheda or nearby?

Advertisement