Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best temp to sub-ohm at?

Options
  • 14-01-2016 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    What's the best temp to sub-ohm at? Currently vaping at 255 Celsius with my Kanger Nebox, but wondering is this too high?

The stock coil lasted about a week and a bit, but the Kangertech OCC Vertical Coils only lasted a few days. I reset the Nebox for the new coil when I put it in.

The coil is 1.5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

the_syco wrote: »
    Hey all,
    What's the best temp to sub-ohm at? Currently vaping at 255 Celsius with my Kanger Nebox, but wondering is this too high?

The stock coil lasted about a week and a bit, but the Kangertech OCC Vertical Coils only lasted a few days. I reset the Nebox for the new coil when I put it in.

The coil is 1.5

What type of wire is that? Sounds like a regular kanthal coil. Don't do temp control here but I don't think you're supposed to use kanthal coils in temp mode. Open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

What is the 1.5 coil made of?

1.5 isn't sub ohm, and that seems high for a coil capable of TC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Don't you mean 0.15?

I got a Nebox myself recently and its reading the .15 coil as .35, wouldn't trust it tbh. I have the temp turned down to 150C, god knows what temp it really is. Great vape off it all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

1.5 subtank coil shouldn't be run in temp control mode, and should only be run at about 12-16w.

If it's a 0.15 NI coil, most people I know (boyfriend, friends, etc) go to 25-30w and 420 ish temp on the Nebox

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Checked it there. It's a 0.5ohm "Kangertech OCC Vertical Coils".

It's running at 60w 255celcius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

If you're unsure what you're doing with sub ohm coils, then do some research!

60w is far too high for 0.5 coils. You should be at more like 30-35w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

That is a kanthal coil, do not use that in TC mode. Only wattage.

Unless it has a blue ring on the bottom instead of red.

Checked it there. It's a 0.5ohm "Kangertech OCC Vertical Coils".

It's running at 60w 255celcius.

Bring it right down to 30w and get it out of temp control mode. You can't use temp control with kanthal coils (standard sub tank coils are made of Kanthal) and a 0.5 coil should be run about 25-35w generally

Bring it right down to 30w and get it out of temp control mode.
    Vape is a lot lighter, but still get decent cloud. 30 watt, and for some reason 300 celsius.

Actually, I think everytime I vape, I'm pressing the "decrease celsius" button :pac:

Vape is a lot lighter, but still get decent cloud. 30 watt, and for some reason 300 celsius.

Actually, I think everytime I vape, I'm pressing the "decrease celsius" button :pac:

Are you still in temp control mode? You shouldn't ever use temp control with those coils.

Press the fire button three times, go down to m3, and use that. it's variable wattage mode.

NEVER use a kanthal coil in temperature control mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I find 230C is grand for most liquids, but with some of the very fruity ones I have to push it up to 250C to get the flavour to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The danger isn't when using kanthal in TC mode. It's the other way round.
    If he's using kanthal in TC mode he's only wasting his time as the kanthal reacts differently than a nickel coil, for example. It's safe to use in TC mode mode but it's pointless.

The danger is if you try to use a nickel coil in VW mode. The coil will get too hot and you'll vape all sorts of nasty shít if you do this. Pretty dangerous to your health.

Are you still in temp control mode? You shouldn't ever use temp control with those coils.

Press the fire button three times, go down to m3, and use that. it's variable wattage mode.

Thanks. Have turned off the temp control. Currently at 30 watts, and the Nebox has selected the coil at .56 ohms when I reset it.

I'm taking it that the high wattage is reserved for the likes of stainless steel coils?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Thanks. Have turned off the temp control. Currently at 30 watts, and the Nebox has selected the coil at .56 ohms when I reset it.

I'm taking it that the high wattage is reserved for the likes of stainless steel coils?

Not necessarily,depends on how you build your coils,for example,a .2 ohm kanthal Clapton coil can be used at 70w to 80w & there are other builds that can take 150w,but it's a very warm vape.
    You should learn about different builds/ohms/power on Youtube,they will tell you more,pictures are better than words sometime.
    Everyone uses Youtube,even the most experience vapor,vaping changes overnight.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    The danger isn't when using kanthal in TC mode. It's the other way round.
    If he's using kanthal in TC mode he's only wasting his time as the kanthal reacts differently than a nickel coil, for example. It's safe to use in TC mode mode but it's pointless.

The danger is if you try to use a nickel coil in VW mode. The coil will get too hot and you'll vape all sorts of nasty shít if you do this. Pretty dangerous to your health.

I know there's no danger with using kanthal in temp control mode :)

I was just using caps because op had already been told to take it out of temp control and kept it in temp control :)

Op, I don't mean to be rude at all, but I'd strongly recommend you check all coils to see what wattage to run them at (it is printed on the coil!), learn about temp control and which materials to use in temp control, and stop using the Nebox until you know exactly what you're doing.

As has been mentioned above, if you'd been using a nickel or stainless steel coil in the wrong mode, you could have been in trouble.

Please Google these things!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Please Google these things!

This goes for anyone, and is top notch advice, if you don't do your due diligence you can cause yourself serious negative health consequences, this applies to everything from batteries being a potential fire/explosion hazard if not used correctly to giving yourself nickel related illnesses none of which are nice. If in doubt, google it, ask here or ask on another vaping forum.

A lot of te youtube videos tended to be just reviews, thus I asked here. With the info gathered, I have a better idea of what to Google, thanks.

If you're unsure what you're doing with sub ohm coils, then do some research!
    I'm trying to find a video that explains how to use the sub ohm coils (and the temperature and wattage ratio), but not having a lot of luck thus far.

I put some (Fiber Freaks) cotton into the mini-RBA that came with the Nebox, primed it with juice, put it back in, let it sit for a few minutes, and tried to vape with it; nope, did something bad, very bad taste out of it, so won't be doing that again until I find a video that explains it better. Bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'm trying to find a video that explains how to use the sub ohm coils (and the temperature and wattage ratio), but not having a lot of luck thus far.

I put some (Fiber Freaks) cotton into the mini-RBA that came with the Nebox, primed it with juice, put it back in, let it sit for a few minutes, and tried to vape with it; nope, did something bad, very bad taste out of it, so won't be doing that again until I find a video that explains it better. Bah.

If you're only using kanthal, then just ignore temperature modes. You want to be in standard power mode. For a 0.5 ohm coil, you are good between 25w - 35w, depending on the coil/build. And you definitely want to prime, and let sit for a few minutes. It's better to over soak than not at all.

I find my Herakles 0.6 ohm coils give me the best vape at 32-35w, some would say that's too high for a 0.6ohm but I never get any burning. On a sub tank, I found 30w to be the sweet spot. So you need to just experiment within that range. Beyond 35w you're looking to 0.3 or lower coils.

It's hard to find a video to pin point what you're after, but if you search any sub tank review, you'll no doubt see what settings the reviewer uses to run it.

Advertisement